[Flashback] The Weight of the Clan (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The fortified mountain city of the Isur. [Lore]

[Flashback] The Weight of the Clan (Solo)

Postby Ceos on April 27th, 2011, 9:21 pm

4th of Summer, 479 AV, Kittrean Mountain Range

The mountain was quiet in the darkness of the morning, the silence only disrupted by faint voices as they progressed down a steep path. Two young Isur, aware of the silent atmosphere, did their best to keep moving while doing as little noise as possible. Hardin, much more at ease in this environment than his younger cousin, Ceos, was leading them with a sure feet. He had walked these mountains numerous times and was yet another excursion in familiar grounds. But this time, it was for another reason. They were both dressed up for climbing, the whole purpose of this trip. At the difference it was Ceos's first time out of the Citadel.

The two Isur stopped at the top of a small cliff, about 150ft above the dense forest below. Even with their Nightvision, the view they enjoyed was magnificent, with the moon casting it's last glowing touch onto the valley. The older one then requested the attention of the other: ''Alright Ceos, It's finally time for you to let the mountain live through you.'' Eagerly said Hardin, excited to pass his expertise to his cousin. Ceos didn't quite share the same enthusiasm, frowning at his equipment with doubt. His reflexion was cut short by Hardin's enthusiastic explanations:
-''Rule n°1! I'll start with a question: What's your most useful tool while climbing?''
-''The Bl-''. started Ceos, immediatly interrupted by his teacher.
-''The harness! Correct. The harness will keep all your stuff close at hand and will be your best friend for the day. I advise you don't remove it during the descent as it will result in a hard landing among the trees. Just remember that, with all my experience, I can't guarantee your safety if you happened to NOT wear it, whatever the reason.
-What about the bladeboots? You didn't bring any.
-No need for bladeboots when you're an expert. You'll do without.
-But--
-On to rule n°2...

Ceos was now smiling at Hardin's light attitude and happy face, burning with the passion of the Vizerian Clan for his home. ''Ru--ule n°2! Do not take the mountain lightly. Any hold you tought safe a moment before is a potential danger and can break at any moment, usually when you lower your guard. This is true for climbing and in everything else. Makes sense. Rule n°3! Take. Your. Time. Actually this one's n°2. You're better off a couple of hours late than nature fodder with the eternity to reflect on your eagerness. Not a problem on your end though. Anyway, just remember those three and you should be good. And one last thing. A climber without water is a dead one.

-Alright! Sun's up and it's our cue to get started. I've already set anchors at various places down our path to give you an insight.
-Wait a minute! You're saying I'm going first? Shouldn't you be leading?

replied Ceos, now seriously worried about his cousin's plan.
[b]
-You should be more worried about your harness's solidity. That's--
-''Rule n°1 I know!''
Interrupted Ceos, taking sweet revenge for Hardin's earlier steal.
-Good. Then I'll just tie the rope between us and you can start descending. Just attach the crab, yes that thing that looks like a brooch-Attach it to the main anchor and crouch flat on your stomach, feet under of course.'' Ceos listened closely to his cousin and followed his instructions. He bended his muscles to support the weight of his body then...the feet...the waist, the chest and soon he was standing against the rocky surface, still supported by Hardin's firm grip on the rope. ''Try to find a hold for your feet , preferably a large one. Don't forget rule n°3!'' Shouted the veteran climber to cover for a strong wind coming from the outskirts of the valley. N°3 was...take your time? Or the mountain warning? I guess both would apply right now.

Ceos found a perfect hold, testing it's solidity and finally rested some weight on it, satisfied. ''You're doing fine Ceos, a future alpinist, I tell you!'' Hardin was engaging on the cliff just above his cousin, sliding with dexterity and placing himself into descent position in seconds. ''What about rule n°3?'' poked Ceos at the Rulemaster. -''A future alpinist indeed'' repeated Hardin, as he hadn't heard him.

Hours passed. They were about half-way through, steadily progressing toward their goal, a small pool of clear water near the base. Ceos was slowly getting the hang of it. Sometimes it would only take a look to notice small cracks surrounding a potential hold. Hardin didn't stop talking on the way either. Naming the holds they were both taking and explaining their use to his student.
-''That one's a horn. Notice how it sticks out of the cliff? Be extra careful with those. They tend to be more fragile due to their long but thinner shape.'' The next hold (a nub, as Hardin called it) was so narrow Ceos could only stick two fingers in. His goal was now that one-foot wide ledge just below him and the nub was his way to success. Testing solidity once again, he moved into position and stretched his right foot to the ledge. No problem so far. But when it was time for the left one to attain the ledge, it crumbled.

Hardin felt the strain upon his waist before the ledge actually collapsed and immediatly responded by widening the distance between between his feet.
Ceos was struggling to find another hold but his attempt did nothing but move him further away from the rock. ''...I may have forgotten about rule n°4. Do not panick in case of a loss of balance. My mistake Ceos. Now why don't you try to calm down. Remember, we're attached together, see? you're not falling to your death or anything.'' Ceos was choking his words as a result to surprise and the 3feet drop he made. ''I-I'm...fine.''(Altough he was not). ''Good...Now grab your hook and swing back and forth to close on to the cliff. Not very elegant I know but it works.'' Ceos tried his best to calm down but his heart wouldn't decrease one bit. Certainly something he'll remember. But now Hardin told him to do something and the Isur would do it. The hook...then swing back and forth. He searched for a decent spot to cling after when he'll close in, a horn if possible. There it was! It looked a bit like an anvil, Izurdin's workbench, and that was proof enough of the solidity it would provide.
The manoeuver worked like a charm and the rest of the descent was completed without further hitches.

Ceos was delighted to feel solid ground under his feet and even more so when he saw the source of crystal clear water so close. About 15ft large, it probably took it's origin from the underground river network that traversed the whole region. He took off all of his equipment and clothing to ongo a much needed purification rite. On the outsides, the waters were no more than 3feet deep, enough for an Isur to sit with his head out of the water. Ceos closed his eyes, chasing away all the pain and negative thoughts resulting from his earlier experience, concentrating only on the refreshing water flowing alongside him. It was the art of Meditation, a practice taught and used by all Isur as a mean of ressourcment and communication with Izurdin, the Lord of Strenght and Patience. Hardin had joined him in the meantime and was also lying in the water, eyes closed.

Althoughthey say the longer the meditation the better, it was getting pretty cold after an hour or so and they both looked up at the setting sun, as well as the ascension to come. Ceos dressed quickly to take on the next step of their challenge. One last look at the valley and he smiled, a new anticipation rising at the perspective of braving the mountain once again.

This is my home...
I'd be really thankful of anyone who can help me with image manipulation softwares to get something of all that blank space on my avatar.
Ceos
The Odd One

Words: 7981
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2011, 3:59 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet