Ideas for Thread Rewards

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Ideas for Thread Rewards

Postby Hex on January 28th, 2010, 3:03 am

Just had a thought,

example: PC has 5 seperate interactions with rare creatures, each rewarded through multiple threads, giving the person a "lore of rare creature appearance & behaviours". (or something of the like)

Wouldn't it make sense if you could build up the content of a lore you receive by having multiple events that in combination make up the sum of the lore.

another example: PC wants a "lore of Cyphrus grasses and nuts". It could be more dynamic if the PC were able to connect the lore to events they have in their storytelling.

So perhaps instead of rewarding a full out lore, allow people to create their own lores and support those lores with threads. Maybe some people would object to this because it would double the amount of threads on their 'to do list', and in their case perhaps smaller one experience type lores can be rewarded. I guess I'm inquiring into the concept of having novice to expert type experience tokens that can be accumulated to trade in for a lore of a particular level/grade/w.e you wanna call it. So say novice or single experience lores will be worth 1 point, then threads that are longer and more indepth (the degree of this is determined by storyteller of area that is administrating reward) will be 5pts, 10pts, and finally 20pts (or something like this). So expert or master type lores could be people who have really put forth a lot of thought/effort/love/latenightsandcoffee, you get the idea.

If there is a similar or equally effective method I don't know about then I've just missed it in my Miz research, but alas I love to have discussion so I thought I would put it out there anyhow!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Re: Ideas for Thread Rewards

Postby Stitch on February 4th, 2010, 4:53 am

I am thinking the storytellers keep something like this in mind when they reward lores. Some kind of simple lore, like the appearance or accent of Dhani can be easily rewarded. Yet, if it is something complex and out there, perhaps they just reward you a small piece of that information, lore-wise.

Whatever your character learns, they give you that specific lore. Not just a general lore.

I think. <3

A storyteller or founder would be a better source, though. I just wanted to throw in my two cents.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 4th, 2010, 8:54 am

Truthfully, I haven't commented about this because I didn't really understand what Hex was meaning.

Lore of Cyphrus Nuts and Lore of Cyphrus Grasses is two different lores. A lore is something you either know or you don't know.... if its something you can build upon, then its automatically a skill.

I think your wanting...

For example, if there's 28 varieties of grasses on the Cyphrus grassland, you want a separate thread for each type of grass until you have the whole collection and thus earn Lore of Cyphrus Grasses? That seems a bit much to me as a storyteller. If they were going to go to that length, as pcs, I'd simply start awarding them herbalism XP.

Where as the current method is...

If a PC spends a significant amount of time in a thread learning the grasses of Cyphrus... they earn that lore.

I'd rather keep it simple (which is what we are doing now). We use this term alot - K.I.S.S it! (Keep it simple stupid).
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Hex on February 13th, 2010, 9:47 pm

example: if I wanted to have a lore of the grasses of cyphrus, would I need to accumulate that in multiple threads where I am learning or would the first thread experience give an entire lore? Some of the subjects of these lores may take more expertise to know than from one thread. I suppose I was looking for a way to accumulate and track specific skill experience that will ultimately become a lore, like specifically "combat with glassbeaks" would take more practice and experience than "lore of washing clothes in river".

Just thought I'd spark discussion about the dynamics as I am curious :)
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ialari Pythone on February 14th, 2010, 7:20 am

One could get creative with their awarding of lore and work toward building a more advanced culmination of knowledge by doing this for example:

Thread 1 Lore Award = Lore: Religion: Izurdin - Knowledge of the basic tenets of the Izurdin faith including prayer, holidays, historical religious figures and overal religious dogma.

Thread 2 Lore Award = Lore: Religion: Izurdin Advanced - Knowledge of ancient historical religious sites, artifacts, lesser known truths and forbidden secrets regarding the history and current practices of the Izurdin faith.

I don't see lore becoming too specific as a general rule but I don't see why we couldn't work toward more specific or advanced forms of lore in some of our threads in order to achieve greater specialization in our characters. Keep it simple as the normal way of things but allow for specializing and focus if a character so desires.
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Hex on March 6th, 2010, 3:53 pm

<3 thank you, that's what I meant. I have trouble articulating some times!!!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)