Notes of an Aspiring Healer - Lakara's Journal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

Postby Lakara on March 11th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Lakara is aiming to amass a collection of notes and writings so that she can build a knowledge base for her various skills. She will also be listing her goals and aspirations, and occasionally, notes on the people and animals she meets, and the places she visits.

Current Goals ~ Past Goals ~ Healing Knowledge ~ Herbalism
Last edited by Lakara on June 14th, 2011, 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Words: 29603
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 9:38 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lakara on March 11th, 2011, 7:12 pm

MY GOALS FOR SUMMER:

I feel I have been very un-attentive when it comes to my goals. I most definitely need to step up and improve on this. That can be goal one.

Saying that though, I do think I have progressed a little with my Gnosis. I healed a human for the first time in Spring, and it was truly a learning curve for me. Kavala taught me what to look for when assessing a person for injuries also.
Also, I learned a little about some herbs from Mizuriel. I stumbled into a teaching session for Samantha and he let me stay to listen. Notes on basil and ginger have been added to the journal.

For this season then, more herbal knowledge is on my list. Now that I have a start, I want my journal to be filled with useful notes.
Also, I would like to use my Gnosis more. Only if it is needed though - I am not wishing anyone to become ill or hurt.

ooc note :
This one post will be routinely updated for each season, and the goals for past seasons will be put into the next post down.
Last edited by Lakara on August 13th, 2011, 8:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lakara on March 11th, 2011, 7:17 pm

ooc note :
This is where past season's goals are/will be listed as the post above is updated.

Spring :
Spring Goals
First and foremost, I of course want to further my healing knowledge. I am confident in the usage of my Gnosis mark now, though I feel that there is still more I can do.
I wish to learn more in traditional healing methods also. It is one thing to be able to heal with my mark, but I think that I should also know how to heal using bandages and medicines too.
I would also love to gain some skill in the area of herbalism. I think that it will become increasingly useful to me as I progress in my healing, and perhaps later on, I can take up philtering.
My final skill-goal for Spring is to gain some knowledge in the use of my suvai. While I hate to wield them, I fear that it is becoming increasingly necessary for me to learn to defend myself.

Lastly, I wish to throw myself right into work at The Sanctuary. I've heard plans of breeding the horses this season, and I expect it would be an exciting experience for me if I were to become involved! Not to mention the knowledge gain I would get.
Last edited by Lakara on June 13th, 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lakara on March 11th, 2011, 11:48 pm

My Healing Knowledge (Traditional)

Even though I posses the Gnosis of Rak'keli, I feel I ought to know how to heal traditionally. One can never be too careful, and sometimes I expect a Gnosis powered heal will not be necessary.

To add:
- Bandages
- Small cuts
- Bruises
(all from a book she is borrowing from the library)
- Concussion (from learning through a thread)
Last edited by Lakara on August 13th, 2011, 8:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lakara on June 13th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Herbalism

It is a desire of mine to discover the many types of plants around the world, and to learn their uses, be them for good or bad.

Basil:
Basil is an aromatic plant, and is used widely in cooking as a seasoning for both meat and sauce dishes.
The basil plant itself can be used as a sedative, a diuretic and an antiseptic.
Basil is recommended for treating gastro-intestinal and renal affections, bronchitis and fever.
The use of basil leaf tea is recommended in nervous system fatigue, insomnia and painful menstruation.
Basil can also be used to avoid the unpleasant side-effects of insect stings, by rubbing fresh leaves or fresh juice from the plant onto the affected area.

Knowledge on basil from Mizuriel's teachings.

[See this thread.]

Ginger:
Ginger can come in 2 forms - young or mature.
Mature ginger needs to be peeled, young ginger does not.
Fresh ginger is far better to use than dried ginger. It is superior in flavour and higher levels of anti-inflammatory substance.
When buying fresh ginger root, it should have firm and smooth skin, should be free of mould and have as few twists and joints as possible.
“An exquisite combination in cooking refers to mixing garlic and ginger. The mix is not only potent in taste and flavor, but it also carries some anti viral properties within; it works best for more serious cases of cold and the standard flu.”
When ginger is brewed to make a tea, it can induce sweating, which aids in helping a fever run it's course. It can also tone and boost one's immune system.
If stored ginger deteriorates, it must be thrown away as quickly as possible.

Knowledge on ginger from Mizuriel's teachings.

[See this thread.]

Mint:
The two most common varieties of mint are peppermint and spearmint. Peppermint is the choice to use for medicinal purposes.
The most common way of using fresh mint in medicine is through the use of teas.
Mint tea can be used to treat the following:
Stomach ache/cramps, nausea, anxiety, colic.

Mint can also be used as bot a diuretic and as an antipruritic.
Rubbing fresh mint leaves for smelling can also aid in decongesting.
Mint is also very popular in cooking.

Information on mint taken from a borrowed library book.

Aloe:
While there are many different types of aloe, the species used for healing is Aloe Vera, and is sometimes known as medicinal aloe.
Aloe is a very versatile plant, and can be used to treat ailments bot internally and externally.
To use externally, aloe is best applied as a gel. This occurs naturally in the plant and can be obtained by stripping the outer layer of the leaf.
Ale gel can be used to treat the following:
Burns, cuts, minor skin irritations, acne, grazes, ulcers, insect bites
Aloe gel can also be used as a skin softening agent.

For internal use, juice and a latex can be extracted from the plant for consumption.
Internal ailments that can be treated this way include:
Colitis, poor appetite, constipation, shortness of breath, heartburn

Information on aloe taken from a borrowed library book.

To add:
- Rosemary
- Chamomile
- Angelica
(all from a book Lakara is borrowing from the library)
Lakara
Aspiring Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook