Server move forthcoming

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Server move forthcoming

Postby Tarot on February 22nd, 2010, 3:23 pm

Hello Mizaharians,

the time has nearly come for Mizahar to switch to a more powerful server. I plan on transferring the site to our new virtual dedicated server on Saturday, February 27, around 3 PM (GMT+1, that would be 6-9 AM in the US or the evening for our Asian players). The expected downtime is about 2 hours to move the files and databases, plus the time required to propagate the domain change over the Internet. This can take as little as 2 hours and will generally be done within 24 hours, though it is entirely outside our control. The new server will be accessible through its IP address until that time, though, if you really are that addicted to Mizahar. :)

We are extremely happy with the player base we have managed to attract over a scant six months, but there have been reports of the site struggling to keep up on some busy days. All in all, our ISP has been performing very well and with virtually no downtime since we opened, but shared hosting solutions aren't really targeted at forums past a certain activity threshold. Currently, we have a database quota that's filling up day after day. Moving is a necessity, and while it was not an immediate one, we considered that the longer we waited, the more painful it'd be to move.

I always thought that when we did move, it would be to a higher class of hosting. The new server is faster (and the wiki is especially faster) and should be able to accommodate a five-fold increase in our player base or more. Moreover, Google is starting to reward faster sites with higher positions in the search results, and having our own IP address means more credibility with the search engines. It also gives me the freedom to install anything on the server to provide a better service to our users. I am very excited about this, and very thankful to our community for making us successful enough to require a move in the first place!

The move should be entirely transparent to the players, but I recommend saving all your posts to an external text editor as the time of the move approaches. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Re: Server move forthcoming

Postby Hex on February 23rd, 2010, 11:07 pm

I just want to say that I am so excited about the growth that I've seen in Miz since I arrived not too long ago in December. This place really has become such a wonderful creative haven and I am so happy to see others enjoying it in the same way! When I joined I wasn't overly concerned about whether Mizahar was popular or not, I was just so happy to find a place that suited me as a creative human being. The fact that Miz's popularity is growing so much is just proof that when you pursue what you love, the rest will follow.

Thank you so much to everyone who started Miz and made it what it is today and what it will be in the future. I really feel like this is a family that I have been waiting to be a part of for a very long time.

Thank you!!!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Aksia Carataqua on February 24th, 2010, 1:30 am

YAY!!!!! :) YAY!!!! that's all i can say.. yup, i'm THAT speechless :)
Aksia Carataqua
The Dancing Healer

Words: 21277
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2010, 12:30 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mai'na on February 24th, 2010, 2:17 pm

Yay for more powerful servers to streamline RP!
Mai'na
Halton Banshee

Words: 9286
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 2:39 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet

Postby Tarot on February 27th, 2010, 8:59 am

I have started working on the server move, and will be using this thread to keep you updated.

I'm moving the wiki first, so the lore is currently in read-only mode. Any lore edits will not be saved. Just save them in notepad or any software of your preference. :)
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Tarot on February 27th, 2010, 10:14 am

Wiki is done. I have disabled gallery uploads next. If you try to upload a pic to the gallery, you should get a Page not found error.
Tarot

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
O RLY Decoration (1)