Mechanical Marvels Store Log

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to start IC Journaling in this forum. Each character is allowed threads here where they can store notes they learn IC, facts, or even talk about their feelings and inner thoughts. Journals don't need to be in written form, they be anything you as a player thinks suits the personality of the Characte.r

Mechanical Marvels Store Log

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 3rd, 2010, 10:14 am

Mechanical Marvels
34th of Winter, 509.

Goods Sold
2 Gyroscope
3 Pumpscrew
5 Block & Tackle
1 Automata, Toy
1 Clock, Standard

Notes
I should have anticipated this! Mechanical Marvels opened on the 29th to a flood of citizens. After an entire day of rushing about and meeting with customers, I have sold naught but 13 items! In addition to these poor sales, it appears as if several customers decided to palm some of my product. There are 11 items that have been misplaced thus far.

Indubitably, I must get my inventions into the streets of Syliras. This will happen in time as it appears as if Castle Stormhold lacked an engineer before me, and will therefore be using my products. Though, it may be necessary to take all steps to engage the populace as early as is possible.

As such, I have fashioned a set of five toy automata to donate to "The Welcome Home Orphanage", hopefully this will spread a positive influence throughout the city. As well I have made it known I require an assistant or partner, an extra set of eyes will be much appreciated.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Re: Mechanical Marvels Store Log

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 8th, 2010, 7:37 am

Mechanical Marvels
35th of Winter, 509.

Goods Sold
1 Clock, fine
3 Automata, toy

Notes
It appears as if I am having both the worst of luck and the best of luck. It looks like the veritable storm that took place in here was a fluke. The worst of luck in that the business I run is unusual even for a city such as Syliras! Therefore many people seem to be coming to view the items for their novelty, not their potential uses. They don't purchase anything, they simply browse the wares for half a bloody candle.

The best of luck is coming in the form of two fellows who have applied for work here at Mechanical Marvels. One appears is a wood worker of sorts, or so he claims to be! I find it very convenient, if not a little odd that the first two to apply fit so perfectly. Ah yes, I almost forgot the second of the two. While this one doesn't claim any engineering experience, he seems very charismatic. I am considering having this one work the streets of Syliras, promoting products and educating the populace on their safe and proper usage. Surely this will increase both the popularity and the longevity of the things we make.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 31st, 2010, 9:49 am

Mechanical Marvels
42nd of Winter, 509.

Blast this wretched Store Log. I have not the care to record what I sell daily, there is too much work to do. Kadurro and Karrin rarely show up, leaving the entirety of the work to me. It is frustrating, having not one but two employees disengage in such a manner. Regardless, it has not been difficult to keep up with what customers I get. Its just a matter of inventing, while keeping inventory, that can get difficult. I do not want to spend my entire career replacing that clock I sold a few days ago. What a waste that would be. I need to help people, gadgetry and machines alone are not enough.

This past week I have been contemplating an invention. There are not many elderly in Mizahar, it is not often that those that cannot help themselves survive. This does not sit well with me. Yet, how can someone who cannot stand without a cane defend themselves? The answer is simple, increase the enabling capacity of a tool they already have. The cane enables the decrepit to walk, but now it should provide a means of defense. For this I have thought of a blade cane.

This is not the same as a sword cane, for it does not separate. All it takes for one with this cane to arm themselves is a flick of a switch. A 22 centimeter blade will emerge from the tip, pushed by a spring. This is the perfect means of providing a group of people with limited means to defend themselves a means of survival. As well, the nature of this cane allows its to adapt easily to all sorts of people.

I believe I will begin work shortly.
Last edited by Alistair deGrey on February 3rd, 2010, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 3rd, 2010, 3:10 pm

Mechanical Marvels
45th of Winter, 509.

The first cane is now finished. It seemed a remarkably smooth project for once, which I found to be pleasant. The wood does not bore as easily as I would have expected, but there have been no signs of cracking or splintering whatsoever. I tested the device, and it works well. Or rather, it works fine. There is much room for error in a device like this, the pieces are not complex or delicate, and they are not many. Well, that is what it seems to me.

It is interesting, how people expect me to be a magician of sorts. Many have come into my shop asking for things that are impossible to make, or are very expensive. For example, one elderly man entered and asked if I could fashion a toy he had in mind for his grandchild. However, I must say that its nigh impossible to create a miniature fire breather for under seven gold mizas. The fluid I would be igniting would shortly add up to more than that!

I have many ideas brewing at this time; however, I find myself too busy to give my full attention to developing these inventions or projects. I will get to them eventually, but it is regrettable.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 3rd, 2010, 3:20 pm

Mechanical Marvels
47th of Winter, 509.

Agh! The other plight of the inventor. In an earlier entry I mentioned projects that could become so complex or difficult they were night unassailable. Now I release a sigh for projects so simple or inane that they hardly warrant the time I put into them. Or even worse, a useless invention. The amount of time spent into the flights of fancy of the less intelligent Syliran citizens is time taken away from other developments. Time, I do say, is something I understand quite well and there is only one thing to say of it: there is never enough.

The most recent manifestation of the simplicity phenomenon is with a gangly man that entered on the 46th, yesterday. I remember him because of his pale, wanness. He was even thinner than I was in Zeltiva! Regardless, he inquired as to the purchase of a flammable substance. Upon his request, I immediately thought of Alchemist's Fire, and suggested as such. This was fine, but I decided to switch from my role of inventor to salesman for a few seconds. I suggested the creation of a launcher that could fire the substance. He accepted my idea. Now I am faced with modifying a bloody crossbow to toss alchemist's fire a distance that is easily achievable with your arm. Never again will I attempt to add an invention to a request. Or, if I do, I will consider it thoroughly before I sell it.

The launching device will be simple, now I just need to find a recipe for Alchemist's Fire.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 3rd, 2010, 11:31 pm

Mechanical Marvels
51st of Winter, 509.

Oh woe upon myself. I have underestimated the greed of philterers. I have inquired at a local curiosity shop about the acquisition of a philtering book with a recipe for Alchemist's Fire. The man thought this very amusing, as he informed me that I would not find that recipe quite that easily. On a more positive note, I have acquired three new books, each looks fascinating in its own right. But that is little compared to my plight with this Alchemist's Fire.

I recall writing a complaint in regards to the idiocy of my salesmanship. I am pleased to say this has been remedied. My enterprising customer returned on the 49th, and asked if I could implement a grapple firing mechanism. Essentially I would make it as such that the man could fire a grappling hook from this gun and maybe haul himself up. It will be easy, but it adds another dimension to this project. I purchased the crossbow on the 49th

I have an idea for a mechanism that can be implemented in ships; however as I stated earlier I haven't the time for something that large. However, I shall record here that it has quite the potential if implemented correctly.
Last edited by Alistair deGrey on February 4th, 2010, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 4th, 2010, 1:50 am

Mechanical Marvels
54th of Winter, 509.

Ah, it seems my self control takes leave of me when I find myself confronted with texts and manuscripts! I have searched the Bazaar, and acquired three new books on the subjects of math and shipbuilding. My search had seen me arriving at the Bazaar with the intention of seeking out the recipe for Alchemist's Fire. Once again my small quest has been left unfulfilled as, yet I consistently purchase more texts. It seems that I will shortly acquire a small library with the continuation of this habit.

My desperation to get this formula and finally be rid of this project grows.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Character sheet
Scrapbook