New Beginnings (Sama'el, Denen)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Mycroft on June 9th, 2011, 3:57 am

Summer, Day 14, 511AV

It was Hek's second year as the Ankal of the Fleetrunner Pavilion, an Amethyst Clan family that usually traveled along the outskirts of Endrykas. The Fleetrunners had been breeding horses for generations, and their pavilion's traditions hadn't changed since the days of Hek's great grandfather. Keeping their horses separate from the rest of the encampment had served well to keep their bloodlines clean and controlled. It also kept the Fleetrunners themselves relatively low profile, which Hek's father said helped them control the Fleetrunner stock. The young Ankal, however, had new aspirations for their family.

At only twenty-four years, Hek was a young leader, but he boasted three wives. Kicking up the morning mist from the grasses, the four of them each rode in stride only a few hours after sunrise, herding a small band of their own pedigrees toward the larger bulk of the Endrykas pavilions. The Fleetrunners would make a name for themselves this season, and they would begin the Summer by boasting the best of their flock at the largest Amethyst Clan stables - which so often served as the heart of the city.

Though horses and throngs of tattooed Drykas were ubiquitous throughout Endrykas, heads were turned as the four Fleetrunners and their eight horses were marched among the pavilions, flaunting their beautiful, shimmering coats and strong, rigid frames. It was a colorful array of breeds: including the lean graceful Kavinka Paintedmounts, as well as three tall and stocky Semes. There was even a pair of Cyphrus Striders, both of breeding age and sporting their trademark multi-colored manes.

Eventually they made their way to the tabernacles that surrounded one of the largest pavilions in Endrykas - the public Amethyst Clan stables. The eight horses were marched into the enclosure, delicately encouraged by Hek's wives - all of whom he trusted to care for their horses as well as Hek himself would. As the Ankal dismounted his own Strider, he went inside the main pavilion proper to begin his arrangements with his own clan's organizer. These horses would only be within the city for a few weeks at most.

Outside, the three women dismounted, each of them wearing elegant braids that identified them as Fleetrunners. Upon their necks, each of them displayed the same matching Cheva's mark as their husband within the main tent. They began to politely talk amongst themselves as they went to work cleaning and tending to the horses to prepare them for the eyes they had surely drawn.
Mycroft

Postby Denen Sunsinger on June 9th, 2011, 4:53 am

They had come to the stables to look at horses. Denen walked alongside his friend, his hands clasped behind his back. His scarf was worn snugly about his ears, keeping them muffled from any breeze or overly high-pitched sound. He would raise his hands occasionally, and use them to speak to his companion, or to sign when it was needed. He was bright and eager to be out and about, much as he had been when, as a little boy, he had first come here. He'd been with his brother then, clasping his hand and chattering away about how pretty the horsies were, and how he hoped and prayed that the gods would send him one. He'd been riding since he could stand, though at that age, it had been on the backs of ponies, or upon Reth, the Strider that would eventually become his first bonded.

Denen's own father had a small herd of Striders, as well as a Seme or two. They needed them to pull the carts, after all, and to help move the tents when it came time for everyone to relocate. But while they were lovely horses, only Reth had shown much interest in young Denen, and he'd been content with that. Of course, as a child, Denen had never thought of Reth dying. The concept was too far-fetched. Even in his old age, Reth was playful and alive. Perhaps a bit slow, but it had been easy to forget that.

They had passed several stalls already, and the boy paused for a moment to peer down at a foal and his mother. A wide smile split Denen's features as he crouched down to hold a gentle hand out to the gangly creature. He bit his lower lip, and glanced back to Sam. “Soon enough, you'll have one of these running about,” he signed. He laughed and turned back to his friend, giving the braid he'd twisted into his hair a playful flick. “Are there places like this in other cities?” He asked curiously. After all, even when they traveled near Riverfall, Denen had never left Endrykas.

He sighed and paused for a moment. “Gods,” he signed, and his nose wrinkled. “I feel like a little boy.” He had to resist the urge to grab Sam's hand in excitement. After all, they were in a very public place, and he didn't want to embarrass his friend. So, he contented himself with fussing over his scarf, adjusting it or tightening it as the need suited. It was then, however, that his gaze fell upon the horses of the Fleetrunners. He swallowed hard, and his neck craned slightly to get a better look at the Striders. “Sam,” he whispered aloud. “S-Sam, c-could...c-could we g-g-go look at...look at those?”

He looked up pleadingly, and even bounced slightly on his heels. He grabbed Sam's hand then, though the gesture was more of a friend than a lover, and tugged slightly. Childlike indeed. His hair fell into his face and he laughed, silently, however. His eyes grew wide. “Maybe we can find a stud for Dohaina, if Leto does not come around.” He wasn't expecting to bond today, but he enjoyed whatever time he could around horses.
Last edited by Denen Sunsinger on June 9th, 2011, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denen Sunsinger
The Third Wife

Words: 189953
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 9th, 2011, 5:53 am

Sama'el had intended to come with Dohaina and Horse, knowing the two of them were prime examples of their breeds and would impress the Amethyst breeders who might pay for stud services from the Windrunner stallion or be keen to see how some of their Strider stallions would mix with a golden beauty like Dohaina. She was a strange color for a Strider, but Sama'el attributed that to her coming out of the Cyphrus storm to save him, likely a direct gift from Zulrav himself. But Denen had wanted to walk, and Sama'el found himself more conscious than ever of his feelings since the night he had taken advantage of the love the gentle healer bore him in a drunken need to fuck the pain away. Denen wouldn't even acknowledge that it had been a mistake, was so grateful for the affection...

But this was a day for business, he thought to himself, pushing away those aching, guilty feelings. Denen seemed so happy and he had been in such a mire of melancholy since Reth died.

"I need little foals running around and growing up and making up part of my pavilion," he agreed. "And there are permanent stables as well as horse fairs in Sylira and Taldera, yes. Though... in Avanthal, their version of the Watch? They ride huge white bears. Kelvics some of them, or maybe all of them. I don't know. Scarier than Striders, but not so fast."

The would be Ankal still had hopes to breed Dohaina with Leto's Arias, show what quality foals she would throw, and then use that as leverage to make deals with other breeders. He hoped, at least, she would be pregnant by the time Fall came and Endrykas came close enough to Riverfall that he could visit Kavala and Riki and the rest at the Sanctuary without too much time spent traveling. But he saw the Semes and his eyes lit up.

Nodding to Denen, he signed, "Yes, let's."

With that, they strolled over toward the Fleetrunners. He would not let Denen rush and make them look like children at market.

"Ho, Fleetrunners!" he called ahead, friendly and smiling. He recognized the relatively unknown pavilion thanks to his time spent buying drinks for Amethyst Ankals in an attempt to learn as much as he could about the lay of the land among Drykas horse breeders.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Mycroft on June 9th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Though all three Fleetrunner wives turned when they heard their name called, it was Andine, the first wife, who greeted the approaching men with a smile. Leaving the other two to continue brushing and caring for the horses, Andine set down her things and walked over to meet Sama'el and Denen. Her long blonde hair was woven into a complex braided knot, but three or four small braids hung on either side of her face. Instinctively, as she stepped toward the strangers, her Strider Ashne sauntered forward with her at a protective distance, not letting Andine wander too far off.

"You're the first to know us by name, friend." As Andine accosted the pair, Ashne wasted no time in making himself known and pressed his nose into her shoulder. The Drykas woman comforted him by lifting her arm and stroking the side of his neck. "I'm Andine, first wife to Hek, our Ankal. What can I do for you boys?" Andine's crystal blue eyes flickered over at Denen, momentarily inspecting the scarf he wore over his ears. A thought looked like it was on the edge of her lips, but she kept quiet. "Actually you look a little familiar." She nodded at Sama'el. "Have we met before?"

It was only in the Spring before last that Hek's father had passed on, leaving him as the heir to step forward for the Fleetrunner Pavilion. For many years before the elder Ankal died, Hek would often accompany his father in most outings, and more often than not, Andine would be there with them. She had required just as much training as the first wife of a Pavilion as Hek needed to be a proper Ankal.
Mycroft

Postby Denen Sunsinger on June 10th, 2011, 2:56 am

Denen grinned as he was led toward the horses, doing his best to keep from bounding and rushing over. But he paused for a brief moment, and his eyes went wide. Bears. He had heard of bears, but never seen one, outside of the picture his sister-in-law had showed him of one she drew. It seemed a frightful thing.

“You're teasing,” he insisted. “Surely, they don't ride those things.” He grinned and shook his head. “Wouldn't the bears eat them?”

He stood a bit behind Sama'el, giving him the deference due an Ankal, and smiled sweetly to the first-wife. He blushed as her eyes turned to him, and let his gaze wander to the horses as the two spoke. His gaze was drawn to the Strider's, and his stomach twisted slightly. Beautiful. Both of them. He released Sam's hand, and he strayed slightly, going to stand before them.
Denen Sunsinger
The Third Wife

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 10th, 2011, 7:48 am

"I swear, he signed, "white Kelvic bears instead of horses." He laughed and then the most authoritarian of the Fleetrunner wives came up to greet them, her Strider close at hand. Again he wished that he were riding Dohaina and Denen perched atop Horse, who, while not a Strider, was still a fine horse who would fetch healthy stud fees when the time came.

"Well met, lady," he said, saluting her in the Drykas manner, showing the proper respect for the first wife of an Ankal. "I have been seeking out the names of the best horse breeders in Endrykas and without, and the name Fleetrunner is not commonly known, but is spoken by those whose knowledge is unquestionable. I don't believe we have met, but perhaps seen each other from afar? I'm with the Watch now, so I'm kept busy.

"I should've brought Dohaina," he said, his thoughts bubbling to the surface. "But I'm surveying the offerings of the Amethyst clans or, really, anyone with good horses to sell. I've my Strider mare and a Windrunner stallion who should fetch a generous stud fee. But I think I have an eye for those Seme of yours..."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mycroft on June 10th, 2011, 9:23 am

Andine's face brightened upon learning Sama'el had heard of the Fleetrunners. "Is it! Hek will be happy to hear that. After this season, we'd like to make a big name for ourselves." The blonde watched Denen go off in his own direction, and though she was only a year or two older than he was, gave a motherly smile after him. "A Windrunner stud?" she asked before turning back to Sama'el. "Oh, bring him by some time. Nallia's got a fantastic eye for that. And I'd be delighted to see your mare. Both those Striders back there are Ashne's offspring." She patted her horse's neck, who gave a low rumble in response.

Andine turned again toward the horses, following Denen and motioning for Sama'el to accompany her. Hek's second wife Nallia, who had been braiding one of the Strider's manes, suddenly noticed the thin healer approaching. The redhead was the youngest of the wives, only seventeen, and she put on a bright girlish grin. The Strider she was tending - an unnamed stallion - lifted its head briefly to stare at Denen, chewing on a mouthful of grasses. After sending a cautious glance at Nallia, he lowered his head again.

"Oh, really? I'll ask him." Nallia said to the stallion, tilting her head to the side. She lifted a partially braided tuft of the horse's mane and offered it in Denen's direction. "Hey there, sweetheart. Would you like to help?"

"I'm glad you like the Seme," Andine said to Sama'el. "They're Hek's favorite stock, aside from our Striders. He bred those three himself. Their sire has been with his family since he was a tot. Oh! Actually, if you want to speak to him, there he is. Looks like he's finished."

Andine waved at Hek, standing at the main pavilion's entrance. The golden eyed Fleetrunner Ankal returned it. Hek was a fairly tall man, but well proportioned and healthily tanned. His auburn brown hair was a decorated collection of clean braids and tight dreadlocks, all of them bunched together in a thick ponytail. With his hair back, it revealed his most remarkable attribute: the scar on his neck. It was no minor injury: the jagged patchwork of pink scar tissue stood out from his tanned skin, and started from his collar bone up to the bottom of his jaw. Nevertheless, he put on a winning smile and he approached Andine.

After nodding to her, Hek turned to Sama'el, giving him a respectful Drykas salute. "Well met," he communicated in Grassland Sign. A certain, unique wheeze sounded in his throat as he exhaled, making the extent of his healed injury clear. "I think I know you. Which Pavilion are you with?"
Mycroft

Postby Denen Sunsinger on June 10th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Denen grinned. “I should very much like to see them one day,” he admitted, eyes dancing. “I've never left Endrykas before.” The image of men and women riding bears (looking like the sketch his brother's wife had shown him), came to mind, and he covered his mouth as he laughed. He allowed for Sam to conduct business, as his untitled Ankal, and turned his attention to the horses. The Striders were, in his mind, the most lovely. There were no horses to compare to them. They were fast and beautiful, and the ultimate mark of the Drykas. Beautiful horses.

His senses were overwhelmed by the smell of horses. Scents were stronger to him than to many others, and he closed his eyes as he took a deep, long breath. His lashes fluttered open and he smiled, and it was in that moment that he met the stallion's gaze. A jolt shot through him, running from tip to toe, and his eyes went wide. Was this...?

The second wife spoke to him, and he lifted his hands to answer her. “Yes, I would be honored,” he replied in sign. He took the bit of mane in his hands, smiling quietly to himself as his deft fingers twisted the coarse hair into a braid. He used one hand to sign quietly to the horse, praising his beauty and the fine color of his coat. He flashed a quick smile to the second wife and pushed his own, long hair over his shoulder as he ran the backs of his thin fingers along the stallion's powerful neck.

He thought of Reth, of his sweet, knowing eyes, and a pang of longing struck his heart. “Thank you for letting me braid your mane,” he signed. “I lost my own friend not too long ago. I used to braid his mane like this.” He cast his gaze towards Sam for a moment, and then looked back to the horse. “You're like me, aren't you? You're a bit out of place, aren't you?” The corner of his soft, full lips turned upward. Gods, what he would do to be bonded again. He tried not to overthink the shock he'd felt when first looking on the horse. Surely he was simply being overexcited.

His eyes lifted as the Ankal drew near, and he was surprised to see him signing. His cheeks flushed and he bowed his head in respect.
Denen Sunsinger
The Third Wife

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on June 10th, 2011, 9:01 pm

"They're handsome stock," he agreed, admiring the strong beasts. He only hoped they would be willing to bargain for them, not that he would try to low-ball them, but the Watch wasn't paying him very well just yet, and he might have to trade in kind for even one horse. He would be whoring out Horse, but the stallion wouldn't mind once nature kicked in. They would just have to see Horse and a deal could be struck, he was sure of it.

He couldn't look too closely at Denen caring for the Strider; it made his heart hurt knowing what the healer was going through, having gone through it himself as a child.

"Lucky me," he said, chuckling as he watched Hek approach. The scars were unremarked upon, stories as much as windmarks, but they never got tired of saying how dangerous the Sea of Grass was, and the Fleetrunners traveled apart from the rest of Endrykas, and Sama'el remembered that way of life vividly.

He returned the salute and responded in kind, "Well met, Ankal. You might have seen me riding circuit for the Watch, but my pavilion is dead. For now. But not for long, I hope."

Attuned as he was to Denen's presence, he noticed the flush and a small smile crept onto his face.

"This is my friend Denen Brokensong."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mycroft on June 11th, 2011, 6:43 am

Nallia raised her eyebrows when Denen replied in sign, but it didn't take her all that long to make the connection. The scarf around Denen's ears was conspicuous - the same way a man who'd lost his vision would wear a blindfold around his eyes. Hesitating only for a moment to make her realization, she flashed Denen a quiet smile as she handed him the lock of the Strider's mane. Standing next to him, she began braiding another portion.

The motions of his hands caught her eye again, and Nallia looked over to see him signing to the horse. She tilted her head, frowning to herself. There was a certain sadness in his face as he communicated with the animal, which only made her think of Hek. Reaching out, Nallia gently tapped his shoulder to get his attention, and began signing to him. She was fluent, just as the other two wives were. Out of habit, she mouthed the words as she spoke. "You're a little like Hek. He can't talk, so all our horses are trained to understand hand signals. The Striders are especially good at understanding sign."

Nallia patted the horse softly. "I've tried to get him to bond with me, but I don't think he likes girls." She smiled sadly. "Plus his dad over there is over protective of the herd." She nodded toward Andine's Strider.

Catching the hand signals in the corner of his eye, the younger Strider stallion lifted his head again curiously. He watched the pair from the side of his head, chewing pointedly and loudly, quite possibly annoyed that he wasn't the one being talked to. Uttering a low snort, the stallion pushed his nose into the side of Denen's head insistently, leaving a wet, globby imprint of half-chewed grasses and horse spit.

Hek Fleetrunner also had a turn to be surprised. Sama'el was surprisingly quick and fluent with his own signing, and while most Drykas were familiar with it, not everyone used it with such natural fluidity. Usually only his wives used it so well, and Sama'el had his own particular style. Studying his hands, he actually fought to keep up with his pacing. His expression dropped slightly when he learned the young Watchman's pavilion was dead, but he added a hopeful smile at his end remark. "Ah, that would explain it. The Fleetrunner Pavilion is usually a day's ride from the main bulk of Endrykas."

"Ashne's getting nervous that your friend is so close to our stallion. I'm going to go relax him with a cool bath." Andine nodded toward both men, leading her Strider toward the pavilion, where she could find tubs of water to dip her brushes in. Ashne fidgeted but obediently followed her, flicking his tail defiantly.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both," Hek signed, nodding toward Denen. "We're still getting our horses set up. If I overheard right, you have an interest in our Seme? I helped birth each of those myself. They're young, but strong. The stallion who fathered them is still pulling our pavilion well into his twenties. I won't take any less than five hundred gold mizas for them." He smiled silently. "If you come back in a couple of hours, our horses will be ready for show. Perhaps you can bring your own stock by and we'll talk about studding."
Mycroft

Next