Introducing the Svefra!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Gossamer on June 18th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Okay, in the spirit of all new races, sometimes we need some tweaks. We have a little problem in terms of a 'who has the biggest baddest tavan' that I want to correct before people get too involved and posting with their Svefra characters. And that means a little augmentation to the writeup.

After a great deal of discussion, the new OOC at the bottom reads thusly. Please follow it.

Tavan: Svefra characters can choose non-dire marine and coastal animals (both Mizahar unique and real life creatures) for tavan. These animals must be approximately the mean weight/size of this animal as its listed in the Mizahar Wiki or (if a common real life animal) as listed in a reputable scientific non-Wikipedia resource such as national geographic. That means if a character's tavan is an animal that is commonly (not world record sizes) 3-5 feet long and 50-100 lbs of weight, their tavan size must be around 4 ft long and 75 lbs. Tavan can be made incredibly unique by type, coloring, and especially by personality. This rule is to prevent a tavan 'arms race' over who has the biggest baddest pet (insert animal here). Animals that are considered 'monstrous' must be approved via the Help Desk

I'm sorry something like this has to be announced, but the flood of dire 'badass' tavan was unbelievable. I also want to thank those folks that immediately picked cute little sea turtles, otters, gulls, etc which was the spirit of this Svefra aspect.

This really holds true for the Pradisa's too who are after all usually the Lia's Tavan.

I want you guys to think about something. Imagine keeping up a relationship with a creature that has to eat its body weight in food to survive daily or perhaps is a solo apex predator? It's hard, very hard, especially if you are on shore a lot doing shore things. It's out feeding, your character is busy, where's the bond? Keep this in mind when you select a tavan. The nature of the beast needs to be social as well or else you have issues. You can be friends, but maybe not as close as you would be if the animal was social. Tavan are companions and above that creatures that keep your Svefra character linked to the ocean and caring about it via an emotional investment. They are designed to augment your character's personality - speak a bit about who they are, supplement your rp, not to be able to beat up your neighbor with.

Also Moontides, your Pardisa is fine in case you are wondering. You asked permission and that's cool.

One further update
: If you'd like a consortia page for your family, just drop me a line in the help desk. I am already setting up some today.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Valan on June 19th, 2011, 11:32 pm

They look fantastic! I will most definitely look into creating a Svefra PC. I have some questions about them, however-

First question. In the Svefra Lore page, you say their racial bonus is 10 skill points, most likely to Sailing or Swimming. There is no Sailing Lore page. Am I simply looking in the wrong place, or has the Sailing entry not been created? If the latter, I would most certainly like to help out- it's summer in my piece of the world, and I have plenty of time.

Second question. It is said that the Svefra as a whole are suspicious of outsiders- but at parties, they welcome them as long as they come peacefully? Is it just that the Svefra don't trust outsiders easily, and will welcome them to their parties, but hold them at arm's length on sensitive matters, or something? I'm having a hard time reconciling the two concepts.

Third and final question. How long does a tavan partnership typically last? You have the younger and older Svefra with different tavans, so each Svefra most likely has a couple of tavan during the span of his lifetime, yes?

Once again, great race, should spice up Mizahar nicely. I can't wait to roleplay with (or, hopefully, as) them.
Valan
Player

Words: 17914
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous