Introducing the Svefra!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2011, 6:19 pm

The Svefra are here!

The Svefra

The Svefra (pronounced seph-rawh) are the blue-eyed nomads of the Suvan Sea. Having a wandering lifestyle, the Svefra call no one place home. Instead they consider anywhere on seas of Mizahar their domain and anywhere they touch their territory. And while they predominately live within the Suvan Sea, they can be found in the greater oceans as well. The Svefra build no permanent settlements and have established no cities. Instead, their homes are fleeting bonfires on deserted beaches and within their well-constructed boats afloat on the great tides. Their whereabouts often drastically change from season to season and with food and resource availability. Svefra, unlike other races, have the unique ability to mobilize and travel vast distances in relatively short amounts of time so long as their destination is coastal.

To most of the rest of Mizahar, the Svefra are considered a plague on Mizahar. They tend to control ocean traffic by either getting in the way of traders or sometimes raiding them. The vast majority of the Svefra are marked with Laviku's Gnosis which grants them the ability to survive nicely at sea both in and out of the water. Their culture is closely guarded and they tend to stick with their own, rarely straying far from the sea or the marine life they so highly depend on. Svefra are excellent swimmers, fisherman, and sailors. They also have a wide variety of gifts within their ranks and are easily self sufficient only trading with other cultures for the things they might need like weapons and other metal objects.

They roam the Suvan Sea and the surrounding oceans footloose and fancy free. If food runs out, they set sail. If they have an inkling for a certain cuisine or a particular panorama, they set sail. If there's trouble brewing and someone calls a Nal'lyeo, they set sail.

With little to trouble them and way too much time on their hands, the Svefra are Mizahar's newest annoyance and entertainment, especially to ocean going traders and travelers. Hire one, however, and you'll have no trouble at all on your voyage.

Please enjoy them!

Author's Note :
I know I've been stalling on this a long time, but finally I dedicated my weekend to get this final race (from me!) up and running. We had a big empty niche in the Suvan Sea and no true race that has 'no worries' to speak off. Mizahar prides itself on putting new spins on old ideas or not being completely cliche (like argh! pirates!), but I know people really wanted to play a seafaring folk that was footloose and fancy free. I hope you will enjoy this spin on a couple of old favorites blended together and made original in the way Mizahar is noted for.

Also, Tarot will have them added to the 'selectable' race list as soon as he has time, so don't worry about 'race' and just select human until that feature gets installed. He's super duper fast about adding these things once the need is there.

Gossamer
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Maya Oceansong on June 13th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Yay for the Svefra and the Oceansong pod!
Maya Oceansong
Player

Words: 16
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2011, 5:46 pm
Race: Human

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2011, 8:06 pm

The Subrace field is in now as well. Feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions/comments here you might have.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Talgir Moontide on June 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm

A few questions if you've the time.

For the sake of making our characters and individual 'pods' what is the freedom on developing the NPC leaders of each pod? When we start, can we begin play on a boat that does not necessarily belong to us, but to our pod? What is the price of a cutlass? I may have just missed it, but I couldn't find one listed on price.

Likewise, what are the bars for 'friends'? Otters, dolphins, and other marine mammals are confirmed, but sharks are also seen as possibilities for older members. Sharks are not mammals which leads me to wonder what other manner of creature can a Svefra befriend?

Should we, as Svefra making new pods, add an extra section to our character sheet to guideline important family members for any others wishing to join the pod?
Talgir Moontide
Player

Words: 11317
Joined roleplay: June 13th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Race: Human, Svefra

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Gossamer on June 13th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Great you asked them here because people will want to know or have the same questions, Talgir.

I think its fair that the group develop the NPC of the pod, the Lia, and anyone else that might be there that's being actively rp'd. Here's the deal. If you want to 'control' the NPC in terms of having them do things that benefit your PC, you need to apply for the NPC in the help desk. Since the Svefra are never 'stationary' and you are talking about a leader, I think you could use 50 skill points on a leader NPC just in this case - which would put all the Lia's about at the same skill level and would force people to play them more at a 'force of personality' level rather than a 'kickass skill' level but only if they are competent in the leadership skill.

If you don't want to control them but just refer to them, you need not apply for the NPC.

You can have a small ship that you sail yourself. The pods can have others (which his reasonable), but please don't use them (unless your just visiting!) until you can buy one or somehow acquire one in thread. It''s an unfair advantage to other players. The smallest Svefra ships are fairly large and have a cabin to live in. And since the Svefra travel around armada style, your never alone anyhow.

Cutlass' = 12 GM. Gillar is adding them to the Price list.

Sharks are possible. So too are other weirder things. Careful, you can't talk to things without much intelligence even with a Laviku mark.

Pods can have consortia pages eventually but your idea about sections on character sheets make sense.

Hope that helps!
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Jilitse on June 13th, 2011, 10:17 pm

This. This is the race I have been waiting for.
Awesome!
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Candira on June 14th, 2011, 12:42 am

C: I love them already! I'd make one if I didn't have a sea-character already!

Which brings me to my question: what would their relationship be with the Charodae? I know you said that Mizahar in general do not like the Svefra, but I can't see the peaceful Charodae holding unbiased grudge.

Thanks!
♥ Britt
Candira
A Curious Soul

Words: 26228
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Mizuriel on June 14th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I was wondering when i would get to read this, great job Jen!
Mizuriel
The ugliest around, and quite proud of it xD

Words: 63255
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 8:59 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Gossamer on June 14th, 2011, 7:07 pm

I think they'd get along with the Charoda fairly well, bartering fairly with them and trading a bit.

Thanks everyone for the positive response to this new writeup.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Introducing the Svefra!

Postby Talen Stirling on June 14th, 2011, 8:14 pm

As usual it's beautiful to see something new be created by using different concepts and traits of other cultures. The new "Gypsy Vikings" look awesome =)
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Words: 173032
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 11:07 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next