(Un)Dead Medicine (Reaver)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Ephraim on July 4th, 2011, 5:10 pm

22th day of Summer, 511 AV

The answers became shorter and avoidant, Ephraim sensing her weariness with his questions even if he couldn't hear any emotions in this strangely empty voice. Not that it stopped him from asking, but a sudden pain in one of his wound did. Maybe it was done on purpose to punish him for curiosity. Ephraim eyed the masked human with accusation in his golden irises. He still wanted to know if Reaver's presence was a risk to him. ”How come you are free then?” There was slight worry in his voice,, betraying why he was anxious to know it. Not even rebellion was as interesting, although Eph vowed to learn more about it. After all it sounded like something that could shake the balance of Ravok. Rebellion was a word the young mixed blood didn't like. It brought changes, changes ones had to get used to and it was always a hassle.

”. "We could go to my, place of operations, if you don't mind the smells of blood and death. Cleaner then the streets, though not by much given the lake." Eph winced at the proposal nevertheless, nodded hesitantly. The sooner he would be healthy, the faster he can return to making money. Reaver offered little price for such medical attention and Ephraim almost immediately began to look for an ulterior motive. Several different scenarios flew through the half-breed's head. A rampaging killer? Maybe she would want to cut him open for curiosity and see what mixed bloods have inside? Maybe she had a crush on him? All the possibilities were scary and disturbing, but Eph got used to the thought you had to be on your toes in Ravok. A quick assessment easily outmatch her told him he could easily outmatch her...but she could poison him! Ephraim began to have second thoughts about it all...but then just decided to go by impulse and just asked. ”You don't clean your palce?”

Reaver already packed her things. "So, tell me about yourself. I've answered a lot of questions about me, I suspect it's time to return the favor. Why not start by telling me about your mother? Is she a, nice person?" Ephraim could suspect something like that but didn't expect a forced warmness. Gods, this woman couldn't fake emotions and even self-centered half-Dhani could notice it. The better question was why she wanted to know. ”Ssshe is kind...I think.” Eph responded hesitantly, deciding there was no harm in telling it. ”Ssshe took care of me.” He added thoughtfully after a moment of silence. His eyes moved to look for Reaver's gaze even if her eyes were hidden. ”Why do you want to know?” Eph asked curiously with hints of uncertainty creeping in.
My other characters:

Jamisia Abijah - Ahnatep [flashbacks] and currently Alvadas

Don't hesitate to PM about roleplays :)
Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Words: 32199
Joined roleplay: June 22nd, 2011, 6:03 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Reaver on July 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

”How come you are free then?” Reaver contemplated that series of events. She couldn't remember the exact moment she was told... odd. "Rhysol's will, I suppose. That or Vayt is following me." The other didn't seam to be too familiar with the gods, so perhaps that answer wouldn't draw too much worry.

He seamed reluctant to agree to head to her house. Smart, but maybe not enough. Oh, but at least he's thinking, that's a plus. I may get to see him again. Repeat customers would always be a nice boon for business. ”You don't clean your place?” She hesitated to say yes, as it might be harder to convince him if he knew WHY it smelled that way. Her work was rarely pretty... and some smells don't leave easy. "I don't see a reason. The lake does it for me." Reaver remembered his home with a hint of genuine thoughtfulness. "It's a really old building, the water can just go right through the floor with any given wave. It's... reliable though." It was followed by some genuine disappointment. "I don't look forward to the day I finally out-last it. I thought I would look forward to that when I got it."

Again, hesitation in answering even simple questions... But she got the answers. ”Why do you want to know?” "I was hoping to ask of your father, to be honest. If she's nice, she might tell me. That, and if you get yourself really hurt I can count on her to help with the bill, yes? Information is a peculiar payment, but I could always collect other forms."
Reaver's CS (Voice: #3355FF Thoughts: #000AAA Hidden: #3D2828)
Reaver
Student Teacher

Words: 212925
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 1:51 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ephraim on July 7th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Again the obscure answers, at this point Ephraim gave up. Maybe Reaver was some kind of crazy and probing more would make her snap. That would explain why the woman was so indifferent to a potential danger the half-Dhani could posses. It's not that Eph was hostile but the society claimed differently. "I don't see a reason. The lake does it for me." Eph couldn't hear any mockery in this or even a hint of a joke. No, she couldn't be serious.”"It's a really old building, the water can just go right through the floor with any given wave. It's... reliable though." She did...Eph sighed with resignation. ”I am sure it does a lovely job with your floors.” The mixed blood said; voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I don't look forward to the day I finally out-last it. I thought I would look forward to that when I got it." “ Ephraim pulled himself from the chair and left few coins for the beer. His entire body was still aching like a crazy Myrian was jumping on it. The half-breed made a mental note never to start fights with adversaries twice his age and weight. ”With all this water running through it, it is very posssible.” He stated matter-of-factly and winced feeling a wave e of pain traveling up his torso. ”Ughhh...” He had to leaned against the wall. It was oddly cold which told him he was running fever. Not something rare after such injuries but nevertheless worrying. ”We better go.” Eph said under his breath.

"I was hoping to ask of your father, to be honest. If she's nice, she might tell me. That, and if you get yourself really hurt I can count on her to help with the bill, yes? Information is a peculiar payment, but I could always collect other forms." Eph had to laugh at this, despite a burning pain in his body. ”Ha! Ha!” People looked at the odd couple, but almost immediately turned away. In Ravok you kept your nose out of other people business. ”I doubt my mother even knowsss the name of that Dhani.” He snickered. There was a lot of anger behind it, anger his mother had never bothered to tell him a thing about his father and it would be unthinkable she could tell it to a stranger. ”My mother hasss never told anyone who my father wasss. I think for obviousss reasonsss.” He added with another smirk and wiped perspiration wetting his brows. Eph knew he needed help this time and Reaver was the only hope here. Blood on the walls or not.
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Reaver on July 9th, 2011, 3:12 am

”We better go.” Reaver nodded.

She scowled at the replies to her answer. It seamed her mother was also protective, meaning this was a reckless child given his injuries here. The scowl vanished at her next though, however. Perhaps that information could work to my advantage anyway, I should keep it in mind. I could always threaten to tell his mother what he's been doing. She stood up. "I assume you can walk, after all you made it here. I don't think you'd find me carrying you too pleasant... I'm not the strongest of people, despite my look." Reaver was hoping he was drunk enough to let the evidence in this regard slide, for her host looked rather capable before Reaver took it.

Reaver waited for the other to stand, before leading the way out. She would offer an outstretched hand to help balance and/or lead him should he appear to have trouble.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ephraim on July 9th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Ephraim couldn't see the scowl forming behind the mask nor he didn't care much. He was weak and wanted to sleep. Badly. "I assume you can walk, after all you made it here. I don't think you'd find me carrying you too pleasant... I'm not the strongest of people, despite my look." Eph gave her a rather curious look, mixed with bemusement. The young half-breed would never suspect anyone to carry him. It was Ravok after all. You either could walk or were dead. A very simple truth. ”I wouldn't expect you to drag me there.” He sneered and hissed with pain right after. His broken ribs were crying for help or at least lying down.

Barely keeping his walk straight, Ephraim dragged himself away from the wall and out of the tavern. There were few comments in the air about 'snake punchbag' but he ignored them mainly and only once angrily hissed at the man who jumped away spilling his beer. Eph chuckled wickedly like a wraith, but no one seemed to be willing to take up a challenge. And maybe for the best, Ephraim this encounter would not survive. Reaver got herself few nice insults about her clothes which made the half-Dhani feel good. He wasn't the only freak in the room.

Every now and then, maybe eve too often Ephraim would childishly ask. ”Are we there yet?” His whining and groans of pain were mixed with the sound of a night in Ravok. The air was humid but warm, at least that, which made Ephraim's torment slightly more bearable. ”Why do you have to live so far?” The mixed blood complained loudly and almost theatrically clenched his side. In the back of his mind Ephraim felt that he was being an annoying brat but the need to have constant attention from Reaver and urge to highlight his own suffering were stronger.
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Reaver on July 9th, 2011, 4:20 pm

”I wouldn't expect you to drag me there.” Reaver almost laughed. Oh, how many people have needed just that. She concluded the number was better leaving a mystery.

Reaver left the bar without leading him, but she was rather close. The damage to his lower half was greater then she had anticipated. The ribs, judging by his responses, must be broken. Not much she could do to move those back in place... unless he'd be willing to get a couple somewhat deep cuts. Though, his fighting spirit hadn't left him, so he'd survive.

She didn't let the chance to gather more information go to waste. Among her glances back, she summarized his legs were fine, minus more bruising. Upon the third asking of ”Are we there yet?” Reaver would be prompted to answer. "My house is indeed near the docks, just not at this one. Be glad I'm not further away." Hopefully, it gathered a bit more pause. ”Why do you have to live so far?” "Cheaper rent, if you must know."

As the half-breed would go to speak again, Reaver would point to a nearby house, a small and run-down one. "There, see? You made it while still awake." Reaver walked briskly up to his weakened house, and leaned against one of the frames, and slid the door open... sideways. Looking inside, he noted it was already prepared for work. "Alright, onto my makeshift table here. I'd advise against thinking too hard about it. Just, don't lay down yet, I need to examine the damage further." Reaver barely waited for him to enter before making her next demand. "Off with your shirt as well."

The first thing noticeable about the house, was the size. It was a very small one. The next thing to notice, was that smell mentioned earlier. It didn't just smell of 'blood and death,' there was plenty of stains about that insisted it was commonplace. It even smelled of a corpse or two still being stuck inside. A smell that would be evident as she opened her door. Reaver's house was not only small, but very simple. On one side, was a small shelf with five books on it. None of which had a title. Underneath that, a chest. There was a chair on the opposite side, facing the makeshift 'table' in the center of the room, which was a coffin. There was a heavy lock on it, though it did not appear to be of any decent quality. Reaver would wait for him to sit down, then close the door. The light coming through the aged wooden walls was the only light that got through the building.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ephraim on July 9th, 2011, 8:12 pm

"My house is indeed near the docks, just not at this one. Be glad I'm not further away." Eph sighed at this with growing frustration. Reaver seemed to be unphased about this constant nagging. The smell of rotten fish filled his nostrils as the walked into the parts of docks. "Cheaper rent, if you must know." He sniffed the air. No wonder it was cheap. Everything seemed to reek here. When the awful stench seemed to be drilling right into Eph's skull the half-Dhani suddenly vomited, not really caring if the Reaver was around. The painful nausea produced bile mixed with blood. It wasn't just smell, he had to have some serious head injury and internal damage. This time he really had messed himself up. ”Crap...” The half-blood breathed and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. No one even bothered to look at him twice; vomiting drunks were a rather popular sight. Just Eph wasn't drunk enough to puke..Well, not yet.

. "There, see? You made it while still awake." Ephraim spit on the ground with pinkish saliva and looked up at the small..it wasn't even a house. I was more of a wooden shack. ”Great.” The mixed blood muttered and forced himself to walk some more. He caught himself on counting steps to keep conscious. They stepped inside and Ephraim had to throw some more. The stench was just disgusting. ”Oh Godsss, did sssomething die in here?” Eph asked under his breath, between cramps. He also raised his hand. ”Wait...Don't anssswer...” It wasn't even suppose to be a joke. The tired half-Dhani really didn't want to know. The room looked more like a butchershop than a doctor's place. Maybe coming wasn't such a good idea but Eph was too injured and worn out to complain.

"Alright, onto my makeshift table here. I'd advise against thinking too hard about it. Just, don't lay down yet, I need to examine the damage further The half-breed walked slowly toward the shifty looking table and decided not to wonder what the stains or how it suspiciosuly resembled a coffin in shape. ”But I need to lay down.” Eph whimpered and threw himself at the dodctor's 'table'. As a proof he somewhat complied, the young mixed blood pulled his shirt a bit, exposing bruised ribs. Every fiber in his body was screaming in agony and he was running fever. Eph began to regret today's fight and cursed his own stupidity. His burning eyes traveled down to the floor and his fevered mind discovered that the stains formed a curious pattern that looked like a dancing opossum. ”You ssshould clean thisss place up, you have rodentsss” Eph spoke, slowly drifting into blissful unconsciousness.
Last edited by Ephraim on July 10th, 2011, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Reaver on July 10th, 2011, 2:55 am

Reaver stopped and examined what the half-breed lost when it vomited... both times. A quick visual examination lead Reaver to her only conclusion. His will to fight is all that can save him here. Unless that herb I got can really do something for him. Reaver saw what Eph didn't, they didn't look twice not assuming he was drunk, but already dead. Those who lived near Reaver already knew all too well how few of her patients were even wake, let alone alive by the time she took them here.

Another mess, good thing the weather never stayed clear in Ravok. ”Wait...Don't anssswer...” "Things die before they get here, not after. I hate working for nothing." Reaver looked to the mess on his floor once again as he closed the door. The other hit the table, hard. He started to lift his shirt, but stopped moving. Reaver looked to the mess on her floor once again as she closed the door. "Well, all that red is bad news for that lad, internal bleeding is hard to stop." She sighed, this might be a long night. She removed her mask and set it on her chest next to the gauntlet.

OOCA few things to say. 1) Graveyards bury their problems, probably looks more like a butcher shop in that regard. 2) "Bed" isn't written anywhere on/in my house description. The closest thing he has to that is a coffin. We'll say he has a sheet and pillow or something on it. 3) Reaver's medicine is a 15, broken ribs and a fever are the greatest challenge he has yet to face!

Reaver started with taking off the others clothing. Surely, even if he was awake, he wouldn't be strong enough to resist at this point. She put some effort into not shredding them apart like her usual group of materials. Once she had managed to remove the shirt, she looked with a scowl at her first complication. If only I could tell what was his sickness and what was his blood. Reaver could tell the internal bleeding was the worst issue, he could only hope he knew the cause. He looked over the body, then again. Something... familiar... He went to his shelf, and grabbed his book. He looked through the pages, finding what he sought. Heh, Rayage, never thought your experiment could come in handy for this. Reaver looked over the notes, and the comparison was surprising. His idea of what the transformation should have been lined up quite well with what the body before him had presented thus far... minus the scales.

Reaver had an idea to work from now, and the ribs would be the best place to start. With luck, they would be the cause of the bleeding. Reaver pulled his knife and thread. The lad should be glad he's asleep. He started with a unique move, pulling his left hand from his glove. He focused, and used his Djed to push his hand's astral form out from it's place. He felt carefully with his right hand, finding the broken ribs. He made a careful cut at the first, and grabbed the thread with his astral hand. He pushed it down, around the misplaced bone, and back up again. As thin as he could stretch his hand, it would still hurt. He grabbed the thread with his right hand, and pulled it back into place. He followed by reaching back in and moving the punctured/dislocated pieces back into places they could heal. He stitched the cut shut, and hoped it would be enough for that part. ...He had to repeat this three times for the injured ribs. Well, his liver took some damage, and a kidney may be no good. He'll live, provided he has the will. Reaver carefully went about returning his left hand to where it belonged. It... was actually quite painful and taxing. Stupid operation.

Reaver popped the lid off his alcohol, and used it to sterilize his wounds... one at a time. Once his body was cleaned and ready, he dressed each wound in gauze. The gauze around his waist and chest was done last, and with care. It had to restrict him from breathing too suddenly, and re-opening the wound. He would need to remind the lad to avoid laughing, fighting, gasping, and any other irregular activities until he had a chance to heal. Finally, he thought to prepare tea for his guest. The work took quite a while, three, maybe four hours. He left to go get some hot water.

Walking the dock, he made his way to his usual contact. The tall slender man had been helping Reaver in his minor requests for some time, as long as it didn't inconvenience him. "Yo, Reaver. You're up early. A female today? You should really remember your mask. Forgot your glove, too. Any luck today?" "Actually, yes. I was hoping you could boil some water for me, I'd like to prepare some tea should he awake. The mask can wait until I get back. Oh, I'll need to borrow the cup as well." Reaver handed him the medical herb he brought with him. "Good to hear you got some work, maybe you could ask them for favors once in a while... or money so you can buy your own things. You should really get a stove... When you head back, remember to wear that mask. It'll be ready when you get back, my strange friend." Reaver muttered to herself as she went back to her house to get her mask and glove.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ephraim on July 11th, 2011, 3:41 pm

His head felt like someone put their a ton of nails and gave a hearty shake. Eph let out a groan of a wounded animal. The stench of a place made his memories to come together and form a coherent picture. There had been occasional screams of the agony; it was like the pain had caused some strange hallucinations. Or maybe it was just his feverish mind. When Eph had thought he was going to die and the pain was too much, the soft blackness had enveloped him and Ephraim had slipped into a restless dream. Now it seemed to be morning and a faint ray of light fell on the mixed blood's face. He hissed, closing his eyes shut. The head was killing him but he felt his mind was much clearer than the day before. Then with painful awareness Eph reminded himself that if not for that crazy doctor he would most likely be a goner.

Slowly Eph traced his hands down his body, sighing with relief everything was in its place. He risked opening one eye once more and this time the light was a bit more bearable. ”Ow.” The mixed blood complain silently. His lips felt like a sandpaper and throat ached with throbbing pain like he was eating sand. The half-blood wondered if maybe lying here for a bit more was a good idea but the boy's impatience won over reason and Eph struggled to sit down on the makeshift table.

First attempt failed and Eph had to bit his lip to muffle a cry of sharp pain. Second...a bit better but again his injuries stopped him from achieving upright position. Ephraim cursed hideously and gave up for a while. Then he remembered there should be someone else around. ”Reaver?” He asked with a coarse whisper. For a moment Eph felt fear he was left alone in this place that reeked of blood and death. It didn't help he was lying on a coffin. Why in all hells she had a coffin here? Was it just cheaper? Eph gently knocked at the lid and listened to the hollow sound. He was getting more and more anxious and scared. The half-Dhani was scared of dying and everything connected to it, coffins included. Maybe it was there just in case a patient died?

The mixed blood mind was still in a shock from how close call it had been. And for what? For a stupid brawl? ”Reaver?” He repeated, this time more loudly with a panic creeping in his voice.

OOCI fixed all the errors, sorry ^^ I used a mental shortcut and just called it a bed also saying in Polish 'looks like graveyard' means looks like something that makes you uneasy, which context I wanted to use. Totally forgot in English it may sound stupid . Sorry >.< Great post btw (:
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Reaver on July 11th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Reaver leaned against his house, putting the frame back in place, and slid open the door. The creaks and groans of the house would be a giveaway someone was there. She walked in, and closed the door behind her. She ignored her patient just long enough to put her mask and glove back on. After, she looked, and noticed he was actually moving. "Ah, no sudden movements. Be sure to never touch your chest beyond lightly, breathe too quickly, or all around wiggle too much. I put the ribs back in place, but the holes they made I can't do much for. I'd recommend laying still for another day or two... in an actual bed rather then a table." After the monotone lecture, Reaver considered his situation. "Should I write some sort of note to your mother about the, 'cause?' I'm not sure 'several-on-one fight' would be something she'd like to hear." He stressed the word cause, maybe he'd catch onto what Reaver meant.

"I'm not sure you can even think yet, what am I doing lecturing you now. Shall we get you some tea? It'll do you a lot more good then a bandage. I'll help you stand, but walk very carefully." Reaver offered her hand, to help him stand. She wouldn't really let go, either, as she would lead him slowly outside. She'd guide his hand to her wall, as something to support him as she closed the door. Grabbing his hand again, another slow lead down the streets. "I'm quite sure you're familiar with the pains by now, but if you're to get home at all, I'd rather you have some practice moving. Maybe it'll help me come up with a creative excuse for why you can't move for a few days."

Reaver would lead Eph two blocks, where she'd meet up with her friend. He'd smile and offer Reaver a cup, who would hand it to Eph after leaning him against a wall. "It'll taste bad, but force it down. Oh, it's very warm."
OOCLook on the plus side, you're sickness and heavy injuries will kill you sense of smell. Not to mention your own smell will be strong enough to drown out a good portion of the remaining smells.
Reaver
Student Teacher

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext