[Flashback] Arriving at the Trickster City (Seidaku)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Jamisia Abijah on July 29th, 2011, 4:35 pm

34th day of Summer, 510 AV

She was in awe. The mountains were beautiful. Never in her life Jamisia had witnessed such majestic creations of nature. When the familiar desert was slowly being replaced by grassy hills and then foreboding mountains, the woman felt fear mixed with surprise and awesome. The weather became colder and more humid, less stable than constant heat of the Ephyrian city.

Alvadas would be her first and hopefully only stop. It was far enough from Eyktol not to be bothered by Ephyrians nor Dhani and to her relief populated mostly by humans of various nations. But still, humans. The caravan leader had told her some strange stories about this city, but nothing what she could hear hadn't prepared her for what Jamisia was looking now.

Alvadas seemed to be...alive. Everything shifted before her eyes, danced like made of some thread from the netherworld. Jamisia had to rub her temples and focus vision to make the feeling go away. She was confused, hungry and tired. The caravan master didn't promise her to find a place to sleep. Her clothes looked somehow exotic, Ephyrian in design but in this city Jamisia's exotic garment seemed to loose in a variety of cultures and styles. There were small people of Isura species, she had never seen before but couldn't take her eyes off their hands. It made the girl to shudder. So there were some non humans after all, but not as bad as Dhani or Ephyrians. She could live with that.

The entrance to the city was called a Gaping Maw beyond which lied the whole Alvadas with its mysteries. Jamisia gripped her surgeon's bag closely and looked around, trying to find anyone to talk to. Life in Ahnatep had taught her that strangers more often meant harm than good. There was a man, who didn't look too weird or exotic. He seemed typical, hence safe. Slowly and very careful, Jamisia approached the man, trying to put a charming smile on her face, which wasn't that difficult considering how much practice she had had so far in Ahnatep.

”Excuse me. Could you direct me to the nearest tavern, preferably with a place to sleep.” She asked in Common, the language spoken also here, maybe with slightly different accent. Jamisia was aware that her Shiber won't be of any use and hoped that Arumenic as well. The sharp, mountain air stung her throat and forced unpleasant cough. Everything in here was different than in Ahnatep. Smells, people, even sounds. How to stay sane in here? ”I am sorry...I just got here, I would appreciate your help.” The girl added encouragingly. It was remarkable how her attitude could change when she was facing a fellow human being rather than something else.
Last edited by Jamisia Abijah on August 1st, 2011, 10:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
My other characters:

Ephraim

Don't hesitate to PM about roleplays :)
Jamisia Abijah
One of your best doctors. A real killer...

Words: 18839
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Seidaku on July 30th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Seidaku looked about at the crowded square he found himself in. By this point, it was unsurprising to find himself near the entrance to the city despite the fact that his destination lay nowhere nearby. Of course, near and far were relative terms in Alvadas. With the transient nature of the city, the next turn could have him where he needed to be, though whether the city took him there or brought there to him was a matter of perspective.

He stood for a moment, watching the crowd and debating which path to take from the quare before he sighed and shook his head. He should know better than that. The easiest way to get to any destination in Alvadas was to simply let the city take you. Sometimes the route was... scenic, but you always got where you were trying to go. The few times he had attempted to reach a destination through any application of logic, he had ended up hopelessly lost.

So, he picked a path at random and had taken no more than a few steps toward it when he heard one of the people in the square calling out to him, ”Excuse me. Could you direct me to the nearest tavern, preferably with a place to sleep.

It did not take him long to spot the source of the voice, the statuesque woman with the sun darkened skin and the rather disarming smile, ”I am sorry...I just got here, I would appreciate your help.

"Oh, umm, yes. A place to stay in the, umm, city," he said, mustering a smile of his own, "There should be something, ah, fairly nearby. You just have to, umm..."

He had the same problem with any visitor who asked him a similar question. How did you explain to someone with no frame of reference to understand that matters of proximity and path simply did not work in Alvadas.

"That is, umm, that is to say that directions in Alvadas... well, aren't, much of the time," Seidaku said, obviously grasping for the right words to explain the concept. With another smile, he added, "It might be best if I, ah, just showed you."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Words: 140247
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Jamisia Abijah on July 31st, 2011, 10:00 am

The man responded with his own smile, very cute and a little nervous at that. Jamisia knew immediately she chose well her guide. The girl quickly judged people and liked assessing things by cover. This time her opinion was in favor. Her smile grew even wider, in response as to entice he stranger to share his knowledge, but then faltered a bit when the man couldn’t really point her at the right direction. Baffled, Jamisia looked around...”Hey, that alley wasn't there a moment ago!” She said with a surprise and a hint of fear. There was something very wrong going on here, especially for someone who liked logic and order of things.

”What do you mean, there are no directions in Alvadas?” She asked confused. Her expression turned into bemusement. Maybe he was just nervous? Jamisia was proud of her good looks but it was not nearly as good to stun someone. ”Alright..Show me then...” The girl agreed, still wondering if it was a ruse to spend some time with her. Even if, she certainly wouldn't mind a company.

”What can you tell me about the city?” She prodded, curious about everything. ”Ahnatep is so much different.” Despite weariness from her journey, Jam could feel anxiety and adrenaline rush, although most likely she would pass out moments after putting head on a pillow. ”How much it would cost to live there for a season?” This almost instantaneously led her to another questions that popped into her head and already was rolling of her tongue. ”Where do you think a healer could have something to do?” Suddenly the girl caught on on the number of words she had been drowning the man in without even giving her name.

”Oh..I am so sorry, I didn't want to be rude. I am Jamisia.” She blushed slightly from embarrassment and bowed her head in a show of respect. Maybe Jamisia had been raised under the Pillar of Dusts but she knew her manners.
Last edited by Jamisia Abijah on August 1st, 2011, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
My other characters:

Ephraim

Jamisia Abijah

Character sheet

Postby Seidaku on July 31st, 2011, 7:48 pm

He heard the hint of panic that crept into the girl's voice when she noticed for the first time the changing nature of the city. He tried to imagine what it must be like, to live your life in a city where all of your landmarks remained the same, and a path that took you from home to the market and back would always take you from home to the market. And then to travel from there to Alvadas. What must it be like? Likely similar to how he felt on the docks or in the forests outside the city, he decided, only backwards.

He had his mouth opened to try and say something reassuring when the questions started, flitting from topic to topic like bees in a field of flowers. Before he could answer one, another was piled on top of it, "There are-, Well-, It is very, umm-, You're-?, Umm, I am not-, I don't-"

Finally, after introducing herself she paused for breath and gave him a chance to catch up to her contagiously enthusiastic outpouring, "My name is, ah, Seidaku. A pleasure to, umm, meet you," he said with a smile.

"First and, umm, foremost," he said, "Directions do not really work in Alvadas, because, ah, where they tell you to go may not be the same place the, uh, next day. Or even the next bell. You, ah, saw an example with the alleyway. It gets more, uh, pronounced, the further from the Maw you are. Better to fix a destination in mind and, ah, let the city take you there."

Turning toward one of the roadways leading out of the sqare at random, Seidaku led Jamisia deeper into the city.

Over his shoulder, he asked, "You were a doctor? In Anhatep?," more than a little awe colored his tone at the question.
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Jamisia Abijah on August 1st, 2011, 10:28 am

“Pleasure is all mine” She smiled at the man, Seidaku. Exotic name for her but maybe common around here? He looked a bit older than mid twenties, definitely older than Jamisia, but other than that rather pleasant and easy on the eyes. “How there can be no directions? Who governs this mess?” She asked quickly, only after a moment realizing that it might come off as rude .”I am sorry, I think the city is really pretty, just confusing.” The girl added hastily with an apologetic smile. In truth Alvadas seemed like a town of lunatics. You had to be a bit wrong in the head to live here...On the other hand you had to be also pretty crazy to anger a powerful Ephyrian so maybe she would fit right in.

Jamisia followed Siedaku, trying to keep close. From what he was saying, turning in the wrong way could separate them for good. Think about the tavern, think about the taveren... It sounded really stupid at first and Jam had hard time in believing the city would take her where she wanted. It seemed so random, alleys and houses shifting at whim. ”Ugh...it is giving me a headache.” She sighed painfully. ”I am a healer apprentice...were was. Until slapping the wrong Ephyrian. Jamisia shuddered from anger. Despite few weeks, the emotions from that meeting still boiled in her, blazing with vivid flame. Especially anger...She didn't even catch on Seidaku's awe.

”I want to start anew here. Where actually humans are not the lowest cast of the society.” Jamisia added haughtily with cheeks flushed from intense emotions. ”At least no snakes here, talking or other.” From her rant it was clear how in distress the girl had been for the past weeks and now she was pouring her out before the man she had just met. ”I am sorry, I am just tried.” Jam lowered her head, trying to avoid Seidaku's gaze.
My other characters:

Ephraim

Jamisia Abijah

Character sheet

Postby Seidaku on August 1st, 2011, 5:52 pm

"Actually, umm," Seidaku replied with a laugh, "Ionu governs it. It's why, ah, directions don't really work. Because it's never the, umm, same way twice."

Threading through the crowds, he took turns entirely at random, leading them through streets paved and strewn with silk, stone, some sort of dark wood that Seidaku did not immediately recognize, and other, less easily identified substances. He took one turn and abruptly stopped, holding out an arm to ensure that the woman he was guiding did not inadvertently walk past him and into the swift flowing river that started scant inches in front of his feet before flowing down an alley way and vanishing into a spray of spring flowers.

"That will get easier," he replied over his shoulder, "The, umm, headaches. Not the confusion. I still can't, ah, can't make rhyme or reason of the changes. But, that seems to be the, ah, point."

Turning back into the crowds and leaving the river burbling away behind them, Seidaku was not sure how to respond to her last statements. It was obvious that her journey had been a difficult one. Anhatep was well and truly removed from Alvadas. Of course, it sounded as though her exodus might not have been entirely voluntary on her part.

"Well," he said finally, with a reassuring smile, "There is no place better for, umm, a fresh start."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Jamisia Abijah on August 2nd, 2011, 2:12 pm

Jamisia tried to fathom how a street couldn't be in the same place twice, but her tired mind refused to cooperate. “Why do you...” She came to a halt when noticed the outstretched hand, almost falling to the river before them. “What in the name of Yahal?” Jamisia gasped as she watched the vision vanishing. For a moment the girl couldn't gather her thoughts. “Is this like that everyday here?” The question seemed to have an obvious answer but still she wanted to hear it. She loooked down at her wet shoes. ”I can't imagine it getting any easier...” Jamisia sighed and took Seidaku's hand to keep balance as she was getting something off her heel. A flower petal?

“I guess, if anything , Alvadas can hide you from the rest of the world.” Jamisia sighed and followed Seidaku toward another alley. This time it opened in some kind of market. The girl stopped for a moment, admired the goods. In Pillar of Dust there was no such things like this and if were Jamisia was too low on the food chain to get to them. “So beautiful!” The woman exclaimed, touching a luscious, red dress. “I wonder how much it costs. Amazing and even made to fit only one set of arms!” She was happy like a child, scurrying through all these exotic goods.

Alvadas seemed like a dram coming true and illusions now seemed like small hindrance. Helpful city folk – Jamisia sent an a apologetic smile for this unsuspected stop. Freedom, no slavery, not many non- humans...Wonderful!”I already love this place.” She said with a grin and turned to rummage through jewelry stand. “Do you think I look good in these earrings?” The question was meant more playfully than anything. Siedaku seemed like a nice man enough to feel safe around.
My other characters:

Ephraim

Jamisia Abijah

Character sheet

Postby Seidaku on August 2nd, 2011, 11:09 pm

"Not every day," he smiled, leading them away from the impromptu river and back into the city in search of an inn, "If it were, then that would, ah, be it's own sort of predictability."

"Once," he said with a soft chuckle, "The, umm, city did not change at all for, ah, almost three days. No one knew, ah, what to do..." He trailed off into silence as he realized that he was now speaking to empty air and the crowd of the city.

Seidaku stopped and looked around, confused. Had the city snatched her away at the last turn? It would not be the first time. No, not the city. At least, not in a literal sense. He spotted her holding a fine red dress up to her chest, and approached again just in time to hear her exclaimation of surprise that it was designed with only two arms.

His brow drew down in confusion. Why would a garment be designed with any number of arms but two? And then he grinned at the realization. Non-human inhabitants of her home city. That was right... Ephyrians had four arms, so they would need specially tailored clothing. And Dhani could turn into giant snakes! Who knew what manner of clothing that would require if they intended to remain clothed. Though, would one need to remain clothed if one were a giant snake? Would there be anything to cover?

He was brought out of his reverie by her question, and looked up to see her grinning and holding up a pair of earrings to simulate where they would sit if she wore them.

"Oh, umm, it's," he blushed slightly, then smiled, "They, umm, make your eyes look green."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Jamisia Abijah on August 3rd, 2011, 11:09 am

Seidaku was lovely awkward, which made Jamisia to smile. Especially when noticed a blush spreading on his cheeks. ”Green you say?” The girl chuckled and took out few coins. ”Then I will take them” A vendor accepted the payment with a wide grin and Jamisia beamed in response. There was something pleasant about making others happy.

”So...where to now?” The woman asked; she spun on her heel, letting her dress dance on Alvada's breeze for a moment. ”What are interesting places here?” The city seemed to be a living organism, at least Jamisia had such feeling. Maybe it even had some kind of free will. Could be wicked or kind, maybe? ”Have you been leaving here your entire life?” Jamisia pried as they were turning in one of the countless alleys.

Crowds were passing them by, indifferent to the new arrival but Jamisia liked it. In Ahnatep you couldn't blend in unless you had two extra pair of hands or a snake speech impairment. In here she felt safe, invisible. No one was gawking and if anyone looked at her, most of them smiled with kindness or playfulness. Although she had to admit, it lacked certain grace Ahnatep had. That smell of luxury, aura of former glory. It had different charm, more mysterious. ”Do you think I can have my own place here after a while? Like a true healer?” They were passing a herbalist who was selling some local specimens. With glittering eyes, Jamisia walked over to the stand. ”I will take some local plants. They are different than those of Eyktol.” The girl looked back at Seidaku and smiled. ”I am sorry for taking so much of your time. I have not much to pay you, but I can offer my services if you ever need ones.” Jamisia let out a nervous laugh. ”I hope you won't though. Not..that I wouldn't want to...Just it is not safe around and...i mean it's a lovely city. I am babbling again. Lets go.” The girl took few green plants and packed them into the bag, leaving another few silver mizas behind.
My other characters:

Ephraim

Jamisia Abijah

Character sheet

Postby Seidaku on August 3rd, 2011, 4:58 pm

So...where to now?” The woman asked; she spun on her heel, letting her dress dance on Alvada's breeze for a moment. ”What are interesting places here?

"That, umm, really depends on what you are, ah, interested in," Seidaku said with a smile, walking slower now to allow Jamisia to see the sights and sounds of the city. It was easy to forget the wonder of Alvadas. Given enough time, even the most fantastic of locations became mundane, just part of the background of life. Every time he saw a traveler gaze in amazement or horror at the shifting nature of the city streets and the illusory denizens that seemed to live and breathe beside the citizens it rekindled a little piece of that sense of wonder in him.

"There is the Garden of No Return, which is, ah, typically not as menacing as the name suggests," he waved a hand vaguely down one of the side streets they passed. It was just as likely that the Garden lay down that path as any other, "Or the Sunken Conundrum, our, ah, library. There is, umm, a Playhouse and a, ah, Colosseum, both of which are, ah,... uniquely Alvadan. Ultimately," he said with a grin, "Anything you can, ah, imagine."

After her next question, he walked in silence for a chime before finally saying, "I have never, ah, never left Alvadas. At least, not far enough that I couldn't see the Wall. I can scarely even, ah, imagine traveling half across Mizahar to, umm, start a new life," more to himself than to Jamisia, he added quietly, "Amazing."

He realized that he had lost her yet again, this time to a small herbalist's stand tucked away from the passing crowd. He had to keep a closer eye, lest Alvadas whisk her away into the ether, "There is no reason not," he said, craning in to look at the herbs that she was scrutinizing. Separated and sorted for sale, he could not tell any difference between the labels, but obviously they had some medicinal use for her to be so interested, "Though, you may, ah, be working out of your home for a while. That is, umm, what I have seen, anyway."

"Oh, umm, it's no bother, really," he muttered, looking back into the crowd, embarassed, "And I would not, ah, dream of taking your, umm, Mizas. Especially since we, ah, haven't found an inn, yet."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Next