Flora - Meyntach Weed

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Flora - Meyntach Weed

Postby Klane on February 8th, 2010, 12:16 am

Please comment and critique.

The Meyntach (mAn-tak) is a strange weed possessing an even stranger power. At first glance it is just another weed, disposable and harmful to other plants. Upon closer inspection, it is not as normal as it may appear to be. Once the weed reaches maturity, it will catch on fire. Thus making the Meyntach more than just your average weed.
Overview:
The Meyntach weed is relatively common as far as weeds go. Like most most of its kind, the Meyntach is not picky as to where it grows, and is most often found in unattended gardens, along with the occasional one or two showing up on a path through the forest. The weeds themselves look similar to other types of weeds, and they bear a similarity to grass, but there are several ways to tell them apart from the rest. For example, someone with enough training in auristics will find that the aura around these plants is not the same as that of a normal weed. A trained aurist would find that the plant seems to actually possess emotion, and that emotion is always anger. For non-aurists the plant can be recognized by the small red tip that is warm to the touch. The color and temperature is caused by a special chemical that is only kept at the very tip.

The origin of the name "Meyntach" is not known, and scholars speculate that any reference to the reason for the name was only in books written before the Valterrian. No known books on the subject have been found thus far. At least not any books that are in a readable condition. For that reason, and because of the plant's seemingly magic properties, the weed is often referred to as Fireweed in present times. This 'magic' relates to the chemical stored in the tip of the plant, and there are two ways to trigger its spectacular properties. The first is the natural way: when a Meyntach weed reproduces, it expels a special liquid that has a job of key importance throughout the plant's life. This liquid prevents the chemical in the weed's tip from flowing downwards into the rest of the plant. During the reproduction process, the chemical is released. This highly toxic substance ignites the weed from the inside out as it travels towards the roots, creating a sparking effect.

The second way is to force the plant to ignite, which is both unnatural and highly dangerous. Using a tool like a tweezer or fine-nosed pliers, an extremely skilled herbalist may be able to squeeze the tip of the Meyntach weed and force the chemical out prematurely. This achieves the same effect as the plant's reproduction processes, but is not advised for the obvious dangers of being so close to a burning Fireweed, which could cause severe 2nd degree burns against those who have no protection against it. The effect, however, is contained enough so as not to set the surrounding forests ablaze.

The Meyntach, this one has been prepared for disposal

Usage:

Because of the considerable risk involved not only in forcing Fireweed to go through its reproductive processes prematurely, but being within close contact of the plant, activating Fireweed is not recommended except for highly skilled herbalists. In capable hands, however, the Meyntach is not without its uses. First of all, it is a natural fire starter. It can be used to light a fire in the absence of flint and steel. Fireweed can also be used for entertainment purposes by fire dancers, although it requires a great deal of caution and creativity on the dancer's behalf. A final way to use the Meyntach is simply to get rid of it. To properly dispose of Fireweed a gardener should cut the weed from three millimeters below the warm, red tip.

Biology:

A mature Meyntach will be between 8 and 11 centimeters long. As mentioned above, the weed is not particularly picky as to where it grows. Although, you will never find Fireweed in a cold area. Also, the plant is most common in moderate to hot regions, such as certain parts of Syliras. There is never a season when the weed is not present in Mizahar, although they lie in a dormant state through winter. During spring Fireweed thrives, and by the end of the season it will have bloomed. By the middle of summer all the mature weeds will have gone through their reproduction process where they will die as they spread their tiny seeds through the air. After that the cycle will begin again.
Last edited by Klane on March 2nd, 2010, 10:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Klane
X-Slave

Words: 18143
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 4:13 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Re: Flora - Meyntach Weed

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 8th, 2010, 2:15 am

Okay, I liked the concept but there are a few things that bug me.

First, this post has no biology for the plant.

I'm going to propose that the combustion mechanism is how it spreads its seeds. The current idea you have proposed is not a valid defensive mechanism, it would be triggered at any random time it heats up to 90 degrees. As well, the liquid in their vascular system would only explode after whatever uprooted them heated it up to 90 degrees, and after that the plant is dead. A genetic mutation will not take to a species unless it is beneficial, the current one does not help Fireweed survive at all.

One, is the locations these plants can be found in. If a plant operates with a temperature mechanism, then why would it be everywhere? If it is in an area that is too cold, then it would not explode and how would it spread its seeds? If it was too hot, then the only viable option is that the plants to not possess the explosive capabilities until maturity, because then they would explode before they produced seeds. This makes for a very limited geographical area. It would only be found in areas that would get up to 90 degrees two or three times a year, in the summer. During the rest of the year, the plant would grow, and then during that specific time of the year it would combust and release its seeds. However, like I stated this would only happen at maturity.

Also, why is it charred at the bottom?

Suggested Modifications
-Include a biology section
-Change the reason for combustion
-Include combustible properties only at maturity
-Modify their location to a more specific area

Or you could just say a wizard did it. >>
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 8th, 2010, 3:53 am

Hey Klane-

The Meyntach (mAn-tak) plant is a strange weed possessing a strange power. At first glance it is just seemingly another weed, disposable and harmful to other plants, yet look closer, and it's not at normal as you'd think. It's properties can be extremely useful... At least when they are harnessed correctly!

The first few lines of a wiki writeup is called the abstract and it needs to be a clear concise summary of what the flower/plant is. It needs to contain all the important information in one or two lines or a small paragraph so the reader does not have to go through the whole article unless they are interested.

:
Meyntach weeds are relatively rare when it comes to weeds. They grow best in areas that are dark, and preferably moist, but anywhere kept below 90 degrees Fahrenheit is suitable. That said, while individual weeds can be found practically anywhere, large colonies are most common in dark areas near the north of Mizahar.

Watch grammar, it should read The Meyntach weed is relatively...

Also, if its rare, it cant be found everywhere and if its only prone to grow in the dark, it can't grow on grasslands or places that have 100% light exposure.. just under trees and in swamps or shadows of mountains.

You need to be clear on climate - sea level? high mountains? What is its ecological niche? Most plants are very specific where they grow - and if they aren't, they grow everywhere without preference to soil moisture or shade. And curiously, most weed species grow in disturbed or damaged soil, so I'm not sure you want to actually call this a weed. Weeds are considered invasive and hearty.

Again... they are rare but have large colonies? Nope. They can't be both. Pick one.

Okay, then you have it growing in colder areas... so truthfully... think about this again. Most plants want to be consumed on some level so their seeds disperse, especially a grass-like plant you are displaying as an image.

There have even been reported suicides where the person responsible used Meyntach to light their insides on fire. It was very painful, yes, but as should be obvious, they succeeded.

This makes no sense..... uh WHAT?

So what Ali says makes a lot of sense... under proper conditions they combust to disperse seeds. Plenty of seeds in the wild need fire scarring to germinate their seeds... and its a good way to start wildfires which can be very beneficial. Oddly enough, a great deal of these plants have some fire retardant properties.

Also, there's no real way to keep things cold for long periods of time in the summer... so preservation by cold is out.

Also...

Meyntach may seem incredibly useful, but despite all it's abilities the weed will never truly be that useful.

In writeups try not to contradict yourself... or do what could be considered literary double negatives... lol?

Anyhow, its a nice first attempt, and a good creative idea, but truthfully its a mess in terms of lack of plant lifecycle, reproduction, height, value, usage, and where the heck it grows.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Klane on February 8th, 2010, 11:18 pm

Alright, not making me feel great here, but I guess it's what I should expect for a first attempt. Before I revise the article I have a quick question: Where in Mizahar would would fit Alistair's description, like where is it only above 90 degrees once or twice a year. If there isn't such a place then I'm not sure what I'd do with the plant, yet.
Klane
X-Slave

Character sheet

Postby Stitch on February 9th, 2010, 1:00 am

I would check out the City list, which also includes short descriptions of the regions that contain those cities. Those regions would be what you want to look in to, as well as specific cities, if you want to limit the Flora to specific and contained areas. Eyktol is the first place that comes to mind, as well as Falyndar.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 9th, 2010, 3:31 am

I actually think Falyndar and Ekytol would get too hot too often. It might be feasible to, like I said, just have the plant combust when it reaches maturity. The chemical that causes combustion would only be released after a certain time.

Seed --> Shoot --> Producing Seeds/Dead
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Gossamer on February 9th, 2010, 8:34 am

First off... this forum isn't for making someone feel good/bad/etc. No one is deliberately nitpicking anyone either. When you develop something, it helps to try and cover all your bases before you post your first draft. That means you need a really clear cut idea before you start writing.

Up in northern Taldera the weather stays cold year round. A 90 degree day would be really rare.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Cayenne on February 9th, 2010, 1:38 pm

No one is trying to make you look or feel bad. You did ask for feedback by putting it here, and what everyone has given you has been constrictive criticism. On that note, since you did ask me Sunday to comment, and I promised I would since I got a post done, here you are.

Falyndar rarely gets below 90, to be honest, and even then, everything is pretty wet, considering the rain.

My major problems, really, is you have a "rare" (although it's found in a lot of places, apparently) plant that with minimal modification on the user's part, can blow holes in walls, cause fires, and

blast projectiles out of a blowgun without the user blowing.

You'd think that considering that's an issue in timing, being precise with a plant that only goes boom at a certain temperature would probably go boom on someone before they were ready to fire, yes? What idiot is going to spread some of this paste on there and then strike a flint to activate it and risk being blown up themselves?

If you're adding dye to make the plant different, does this not do anything to impede or inhibit its combustible property? I'm pretty sure that such a thing would change the chemical makeup.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Stitch on February 9th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Sorry for leading you astray with my information. I thought you were looking for a place that is constantly above 90F in temp, not one that only reaches that point every so often. My apologies. <33
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Klane on February 10th, 2010, 1:31 am

Alright, after a long discussion with some of you guys in chat, I've revised the article. Please continue to critique, thanks for all your help so far!
Klane
X-Slave

Character sheet

Next