An idea, on gems and skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

An idea, on gems and skills

Postby Laeraix Cerys on February 11th, 2010, 4:58 pm

(Sorry for the awful thread title, read on and all will become clear!)

Okay, so I have a concept for a skill. This idea kind of reminded me of the Storm Warden gem idea, but is, in my opinion, a bit different. This skill would involve precious gems (think, diamonds, opals, rubies) and the idea that magical energy could be stored within them, and the stored Djed could be drawn out at any time for use. Of course, storing energy this way would have drawbacks. With my idea I believe that there should be some sort of opportunity cost for storing magic this way. For example, let’s say you store Djed in units called Mym’s. (Random name, just bear with me) A novice witch or wizard would have 5 Mym’s of Djed stored within their body for use, before they over expend themselves and risk bodily harm. If they choose to store two and a half Mym’s in a jewel, only 2 of those Mym’s would transfer. Some of the energy would be lost in the transfer process. In my opinion, this trade off would be necessary, due to the convenience of being able to draw energy from the gems.
Also, since we don’t want magic users running around with heaps of gems and tons of stored Djed, each type of gem would have a limit to the amount of energy that could be stored. If the gem was filled over capacity it would burst, and all the Djed would be lost. Some gems, like diamonds, would be able to store more on a base level, and some would only be able to store small amounts of energy. I have some ideas that tie into this and could branch out into other skills. And of course, they would also be expensive, to prevent people from having tons of gems.
~We don’t have to stick to traditional gems, we could have someone make an article on Mizaharian gems, and where they could be mined.
~Another great skill to tie in would involve cutting and setting the gems into jewelry. After all, what’s the use of having a beautiful piece of Onyx, if you’re going to carry it around in your hand all day?
~Certain smiths, over time, would learn how to refine these gems, and the proper ways to handle them so that the gem’s Djed storing capacity would be maximized.

*** A note on these gems: I don’t necessarily think these gems, and their Djed storing ability should be limited to mages. What if a smith stored Djed in a gem so that he could draw on it later, to make a truly powerful sword?
What does everyone think of this idea? I understand if it’s too broad of a concept, or won’t work in Mizahar, but I thought I would post it anyways.
Laeraix Cerys
Wandering Amid Dreams

Words: 40215
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Re: An idea, on gems and skills

Postby Gossamer on February 11th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Hiya Laeraix-

The Goddess Semele is going to have a gnosis that lets you do various things with rocks, minerals, and gemstones. The stones on Mizahar are going to have distinctive properties that can be harnessed and utilized - so far I have about a hundred of them with various little details they can give off. Anyhow, depending on how the rest of the founders feel about your idea, I do not see why we cant have a rare type that can store a specific amount of djed. However, it'd take a follower of Semele of a specific level, probably with three marks, to 'tune' the gem so that it can be used by anyone.

However, Semele's development is a ways down my to-do list. I'd say shes at least a month or more out.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Laeraix Cerys on February 11th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Jen,

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to see more about Semele, she sounds right up my alley.
Last edited by Laeraix Cerys on February 12th, 2010, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laeraix Cerys
Wandering Amid Dreams

Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on February 11th, 2010, 7:32 pm

No worries. If you can store spells in glyphs and scrolls etc, why not in other media?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Cayenne on February 14th, 2010, 3:02 pm

I rather like this idea, so long as there are limits on it - how much can be transferred, how much can be stored - not only per stone, but in all... since I can remember people on another game carrying around tons of these orbs with spells for every occasion in them, and that... that was kind of a downer for those that couldn't afford to do that. I'm inclined to agree with Goss, that it would take someone of 3+ marks for Semele to ensure that anyone can use those stones besides the one who created them. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Laeraix Cerys on February 14th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I agree. Limits would be vital, and magic really is tricky. Thanks for your input!
Laeraix Cerys
Wandering Amid Dreams

Character sheet

Postby Ke'sear on March 23rd, 2010, 10:49 pm

If im not mistaken, The book series Eragon-Eldest-Brisingr Use this same exact idea. that enegry can be stored withen gems to be called upon a later time. Not saying that this couldent be used, but one of the things preached around here is original ideas.
Ke'sear
Player

Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 1:37 am
Race: Human

Postby Nickorius on March 23rd, 2010, 11:11 pm

The Eragon-Eldest-Brisingr series isn't the only place such an idea is seen. It's not as if it's an original idea and we are stealing it from a specific source. This idea has been around forever and I think that it's perfectly okay to take it and put a Mizaharian spin on it.
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Ke'sear on March 23rd, 2010, 11:32 pm

Oh ok then, I was merely pointing out, I havent seen it anywhere else. Constructive critisim only, no harm intended :)
Ke'sear
Player

Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 1:37 am
Race: Human

Postby Nickorius on March 23rd, 2010, 11:39 pm

I appreciate it bro. You're just lookin out for Mizahar, I know :D
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm