Touching the Web [Sama'el]

Sama'el asks Ronan to meet him, and has some news and more mentoring for the Drykas...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Ronan on November 19th, 2011, 10:49 pm

6th of Autumn in 511 AV

Ronan sat on the small bluff just out of the centre of Endrykas, and surveyed the city around him. There was a soft, amber sunlight, filtering across the plains. Autumn was always an odd season. There was warmth, yet there was also the winds, and the storms. He spared a thought for Tairell - she had just begun to recover from the other night's events.

Thumbing his dagger, he looked at the few Drykas wandering about. Sama'el was going to meet him soon. The Watcher had some news for Ronan apparently - and frankly, he was intrigued. A social life was so much more fulfilling. He had lived alone for too long, and he looked back at that waste with regret. The fact he felt elation and excitement as he waited for his friend showed how far he had come. He looked down at the grass. He still had a long way to go too.
Last edited by Ronan on November 19th, 2011, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Words: 305663
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Sama'el walked up to the bluff, having left his horses to rest before their upcoming journey. Dohaina was pregnant, and he had been riding Horse hard back and forth from Riverfall, and would soon be riding him through the snows of the North again. They would both of them need their strength. He probably should have been preparing himself, but promises had been made, promises would be delayed, and the delays had to be communicated before he left. And so in passing, he had asked Ronan to talk to him later, and Ronan had selected this bluff with the view. Sama'el had not meant to be cryptic, but there was a deal to be done.

He saw Ronan before he got there, and he was sure Ronan saw him since he had the better vantage point. So he grinned, waved, and hustled up to where the older man was waiting for him.

"Ho, Ronan. Are you trying to woo me with a pretty view?" He laughed.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ronan on November 19th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Ronan smiled as Sama'el called, then laughed at his comment. "You tell me?" he asked, an eyebrow arching.

A hawk swept over, and he turned to watch it momentarily. Was that freedom? The desire to spread his wings and travel took hold of him fiercely, and he shook it away with some effort. He wondered suddenly, that if he stayed in Endrykas forever, would he have wasted yet another opportunity? There was a world out there, some of it Sama'el had told him of, and he had heard a little of Avanthal through Khiara.

I wonder how Khiara is... it's been a while.

Never mind, he thought. It was a fleeting hope. Some whim he could do without when he was so intent on training for the Watch. And besides, he wouldn't be travelling anywhere for a few weeks - at least. Tairell's injuries had to heal first.

"Now friend. I wonder why you asked me here?"
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 20th, 2011, 12:36 am

His smile didn't quite falter, but it slanted into a rueful slope. He caught wrists with Ronan, slapped him on the shoulder in greeting. It was good to see him out and about, in any event. It seemed his decision to work toward joining the Watch was getting him out and about, which could only improve things. Sama'el had needed to do the same, make the effort and return to Endrykas, in order to start healing, truly healing.

"Ah, well. I thought we should probably spar again and, if your father didn't teach you before he danced away with Dira, perhaps I should initiate you into the Web." He barreled on before Ronan could answer. "You see, I would have done it anyway, but I'm going to have to leave for an extended amount of time and I wanted to start you down the path toward joining the Watch. Unless... unless you want to come.

"I'm traveling to Avanthal to save a small family and bring them back to Riverfall as a favor to a Drykas sister living there, and the ghost who protects her home, whose family it is."

Finally he stopped talking to let Ronan get a word in edgewise. It would be a grand thing to have him along, train him as they went. He would learn to ride better, to tend to his horse, and they could dagger fight and walk the Web together. But of course it was too short notice and Ronan hadn't yet done much traveling.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan on November 20th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Ronan was taken aback. The offer of more mentoring and training was always welcome, but the other news sent his head whirring. Travel. That desire to be free became real in a moment, and yet he was torn. Endrykas was finally in his heart again. Tairell was still recovering from the storm, and he didn't even feel perfect in himself.

"That's... well... thank you for the offer, friend. The Webbing, I'll take you up on that - father never got the chance to show me, and it can only put me in good stead for the Watch."

He paused, taking a deep breath and turning to face Sama'el squarely. "As for the travelling. I'm not sure Sama'el. I want to, in my heart I really do, but the thought scares me."

He shook his head, annoyed at himself for being so pathetic.

"Show me the Web friend, I can think on the other bit later."

But he didn't know if he could come to a decision. He wanted to travel, he wanted to see new places, new cultures, but Endrykas called to him. And a sadness clouded his heart at the thought of leaving. For once in his life, he was home.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 21st, 2011, 7:47 am

He had figured that Ronan would say no, would have things he had to do while Sama'el hurriedly set his affairs in order that he might ride to the ends of Mizahar because he didn't want three children and a widow to live without their father, ghost though he may be. Sama'el had become an orphan at seven, and so he could not help but take it personally.

"Ah, ah," he said, holding up a hand and laughing. "Dagger first. Webbing later. Besides, it will be easier for you to focus if you are worn out a bit, and I mean to wear you out."

He drew his new dagger, one of a matched set. His hunting knife just wasn't weighted correctly for combat, but was more of a tool. These would be better, and once he had the requisite skill, he would begin fighting with both of them, or pairing one with his scimitar, at least to practice.

"And after I've gone, you can always ask my friend Leto for some help with the Webbing. Not so much the daggers, though." He grinned. "Ready?"

Purchase :
  • 2 daggers - 4 gm

After Tavehk discount, that's 3 gm, 2 sm.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan on November 21st, 2011, 10:59 am

"Then daggers it will be," he said with a faint smile, unsheathing his own. He had put in a little practise since their last bout. He knew he had the skill and strength, but he had to overcome Sama'el's agility. A speed that could quickly turn the tables of battle.

He stepped back, readying himself for more dagger practise. He glanced at Sama'el's new dagger - it looked like a weapon - he wouldn't be using a simple hunting knife this time. Ronan would have to give it his all to overcome in this trial.

"Sure of yourself aren't you?" Ronan grinned, "assuming I will be the one to wear out."

And with that, he twisted and sidled towards the Watcher, slashing out with his dagger.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 24th, 2011, 7:36 am

They both assumed their stances and Sama'el had to be bold. Considering failure only made it happen in the heat of a battle, even a spar such as this, so he kept his eyes on success and put all his efforts into making it so. He kept his body low, his arms loose, blade ready to meet blade, but free hand ready to slap wrists out of the way and the like.

He grinned at Ronan's quip, then jerked out of the way of the blade. They were too old to practice with weighted wooden blades. There would be no attempt to actually harm the other, but accidents could happen.

Laughing at his escape, he shrugged. "Well, you're an old man. Old men can't keep their blades or their dicks up."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan on November 24th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Ronan's eyes widened at Sama'el's crude joke, missing with the dagger. Cursing, he jumped back.

"Old man...?" Well if he wants to play it that way... "And what would you know about getting your dick up, child? Come back and jest when you've had a little experience." He grinned sheepishly, narrowing his eyes, and gripping his dagger tighter.

The young Watcher had a mischievous streak. He didn't see it very often, but he had certainly just released it there. He laughed to himself, shaking his head. Cocky young boy... Up until now he had seen Sama'el as above him. A man who had achieved so much more. But the joke had opened up a new view. Sama'el the Younger. Sama'el the child.

He went back into stance, and swept forward. Not a drawn out attack like normal, this time he zipped in quickly, keeping light on his feet. He stabbed outwards as a bluff, then twisted, stabbing to the side.
Ronan
Nomadic Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 25th, 2011, 7:41 am

"I got my dick up this girl in Syliras," he said with a sort of fraternal competitiveness that was mostly to test Ronan emotionally. Sometimes a fight could be won with words, another advantage a man with less skill at arms could wield to great effect. Though he was not so skilled as Ronan with the dagger, he had acquitted himself well in their previous spar. "Her name was Merris. All night long. It was amazing. Have you ever been to Syliras? Well, I don't use it so much now... but I might be marrying Menali Firesong. Well, if she waits until I get back from Avanthal."

His words were a screen of distraction, barbs to catch in Ronan's craw. Had he traveled? Had he spent a whole night enjoying the body and company of a woman? Had he any marriage prospects. Calling Sama'el young, however, had little effect. Hasieran had chosen him at seven summers, making him a man by Drykas custom. Of course, all that had been shaken by the stallions death and Sama'el's exile and enslavement.

In and around these words, he was thrusting and parrying, feinting and occasionally catching steel with steel, adding a metallic timpani to their dance of daggers. He made bold offensives, but was quick to retreat, trying to overwhelm Ronan with words and movement, too much all at once.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next