[Location Syliras] The Midnight Carnival

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

[Location Syliras] The Midnight Carnival

Postby Bayani on March 6th, 2010, 4:21 pm

The Midnight Carnival

Situated on a gentle slope near the northern section of the city facing the Syliran coast is a small collection of tents, though one tent stands out among the others. This tent which is home to the Midnight Carnival is unusually tall for a tent, this fact has led people to suspecting those operating it had never intended to make the location a temporary residence when they first built the structure as sanctuary for refugees.

A white tent covered in a seamless curtain of white framed by wood serves to lend the exterior a sturdy appearance though inside the tent is anything but practical.

A blanket of the darkest indigo encompasses the entire ceiling and the beautiful mirror and glass ornaments hanging from the near-invisible scaffolding above creates the illusion of a cloudless starry-night complete. The center stage, a circular platform of oak painted sleek black is surrounded by a multitude of seats, each row rising a level to give the crowd a perfect view of the stage below.

Originally meant to be the home of kelvic-slaves who had escaped from a criminal syndicate slave-trade, the Midnight Carnival started out as a small collection of tents within the empty patch of land that was provided for them by the knights. With no source of source income and the distrust of the people weighting heavily on these newcomers they decided that they would need to work together if they were to carve out a niche in the city of Syliras.

Pooling together their god-given talents these kelvics came up with a business venture than no group in the city, or anywhere on the continent for that matter could imitate, one that the people of Syliras wouldn’t be able to make do without ? or at least something would grow to become addicted to. And thus the Midnight Carnival was born.

The Midnight Carnival was first created to host acrobatic shows the likes of which couldn’t be seen anywhere else in Mizahar. The kelvics and their natural gifts allowed them to do feats beyond most men, their feline grace, beast-like strength and the ability of a few others to leap extremely long distances helped create unforgettable performances that drew people from all social standings of the city.

And of course, this included few high-ranking officials in the Syliran Knighthood.

Known only to a select few, the Midnight Carnival’s services not only extends to these public performances that excite and titillate the eyes, they also offer private performances which promises to appeal to all the senses for those who can afford it.

Of course such scandalous business arrangements might have risked these kelvics their place in the city but as it turns out, their biggest customers are from the Syliran Knighthood itself and despite the less than honorable nature of their trade these former slaves enjoy the mutual benefits their services earns them and so the ‘refugee camp’ still stands today as the sole carnival in the city.

NPC:
Secret :
Diwata

Diwata is among the first generation of the Midnight Carnival's founders and the last one remaining. As old as she is this white-tiger kelvic is still respected as not only one of the best dancer-performers of the Midnight Carnival but is also rumored to be bonded to an influential Knight Captain of the Syliras Knighthood. If this is true then it may perhaps the reason that the Midnight Carnival has become a permanent addition to the city instead of a temporary refuge for slaves as it was first meant to be.

Skill List:
Acrobatics 65 pts
Dancing 60 pts
Rhetoric 70 pts

I realize I have no pictures, and that's where I need help. Can anyone supply me with them?
Last edited by Bayani on March 7th, 2010, 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bayani
Now you know

Words: 4747
Joined roleplay: March 6th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Race: Human

Re: [Location Syliras] The Midnight Carnival

Postby Gossamer on March 6th, 2010, 4:53 pm

You need to find a great image!

Otherwise, my only critique is that the scope of this place is just too large... a quarter of a square mile is huge for something in Mizahar. It needs to nestle in the city somewhere either against a wall or in an formerly open square (now taken over by the carnival) and has made itself rather a permanent fixture. Tents are fine, so are groupings of them, but you could do a main facility as a tent and have the troupe or carnies actually living in the wall... I think the Knights would go for that moreso than say have them living in tents (fire danger) in the city.... but a main big tent is fine.

Otherwise, I love the concept. It's lovely. And I would actually be a bit more obvious at its intention.... basically a slave market (thats not calling itself one) for kelvics right? New players or ones not prone to picking out the subtle in a post might not understand this... but an OOC note or an OOC price list in a pop up wouldn't be out of place. I think the Knights would look the other way on the 'no slavery' issue in regards to kelvics so long as the Night Carnival kept with simply that (or maybe a little brothel action) as their secondary trade.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)