A warriors pride (open)

Gromm gets accustomed to his new surroundings, and is unimpressed with the vantha way of life.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Gromm on December 1st, 2011, 5:53 pm

6th of winter, 511 av.

Gromm wandered the streets of Avanthal aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city of ice. Everywhere he looked there were storytellers and bards, none of which would offer a good challenge. The jamoura were both gifted and cursed with their tremendous strength, although it was undoubtedly an advantage, it caused capable fighters to shy away from a chance to do battle with them and only the rarest fighters could prove a challenge for a skilled jamoura.

While navigating the cold streets, he realized he was ultimately alone. He had no master, and his demeanor made friends hard to find. He let out a sigh, the path he had chosen was far from easy, a warrior is always alone. In battle you may have comrades, but relying on them too much could be the end of you. In training and meditation, you block out the world to achieve focus.

In his contemplation, he came to a startling realization. He was lost. "damned cities." He murmured to himself "why can't they just build them in a straight line?" He briefly though of asking for directions, but quickly rejected the idea. Jamouran were not made for cities, that's for sure. He thought to himself.
Gromm
The gods themselves will acknowledge me

Words: 10132
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Alea Davenport on December 4th, 2011, 3:18 am

Alea was walking quickly down the streets of Avanthal with her hood so far up that she couldn't see much more than the ground at her feet. She would never get used to the cold in this city, and she already couldn't wait until spring when she would be seeking warmer climates.

Unfortunately, she was walking so fast that she didn't see the huge Jamoura in her way. She noticed that she'd walked into a shadow, but instead of realizing that a shadow meant something was casting it, all her mind bothered to think was, Oh, that's interesting. Naturally, she soon bumped head-first into someone.

Looking up in surprise, she lifted her hood just enough to see what, or who, was in her way. An apology was halfway to her lips, but it got stuck when she saw the giant creature in front of her. Why does everyone I meet always have to be bigger than me? she whined silently.

Alea recalled seeing a Jamoura at Morwen's Departure festival, and she wondered if this was the same one. She hadn't seen one before then, and she'd been here almost half a season, but for all she knew, Winter in Avanthal caused Jamoura to crawl out of the woodwork.

She attempted to initiate a dialogue, but she was still daunted by his size and strangeness. The words came out mumbled and incoherent.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Gromm on December 4th, 2011, 3:34 am

Gromm quickly turned around to see what had bumped into him, and saw an awestruck young woman. She appeared as if she never had seen one of the giants of the spires, which is fair as they are a reclusive race to say the least. Gromm, being one of the largest jamoura alive, probably didn't make the best first impression. After a few moments trying to think of some thing to say, all that came to mind was "I don't bite, you know." spoken in as soft a tone he could muster.
Gromm

Character sheet

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Alea Davenport on December 4th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Alea blinked. He was talking to her, which meant...he wasn't going to turn into a naked person? Right, NOT a Kelvic. Hmm...she should probably start saying things instead of just standing there.

"H-hello." Ok, that was a start. What else? "My name is Alea." At this point, she was just following a formula of introductions, so she also held out her hand for a possible handshake. Then she mentally smacked herself; she had no way of knowing if shaking hands was even part of his culture, and his hand could probably completely engulf hers, so it seemed a bit pointless. Nevertheless, she had initiated the gesture, and it would be rude to withdraw it now.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Gromm on December 4th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Gromm saw that she had offered a handshake, a strange gesture for a creature with hands the size of watermelons, but he accepted the offer nevertheless. She seemed nervous, so Gromm tried to think of a way to put her at ease. "I am called Gromm." he said, sitting down to get closer to eye level. "I can see by the expression on your face you've never seen a jamoura. For the most part we are a peaceful race." He conveniently left out his experience in battle, not wanting to scare the girl.
Gromm

Character sheet

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Alea Davenport on December 4th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Big! was all Alea's mind could think. But then he sat down and she thought, Oh. Less big. The handshake was reassuring as well. It was very gentle and convinced Alea that this...Gromm...did not want to crush, trample, maim or kill her. She double-checked the list in her head, and decided that he did not want to eat her either.

Finally relaxing, Alea let out a smile. "I think I saw a picture once. Sorry for staring. I'm only just starting to get used to Kelvics, and they're the only other race I've met so far." She added hastily, "But I want to meet them all! All of the races of Mizahar, that is." She bit her lip to keep from rambling further and waited for the Jamoura's reaction.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Gromm on December 4th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Gromm was amused by her interest in the races of Mizahar. "That's not so different from my goal, I suppose." he began, remembering why he left the spires in the first place. "Although I doubt you want to face them all in battle to prove your mettle." He was slightly agitated by her mistaking him for a kelvic, the race of shapeshifters never impressed him much. "I assure we jamoura are not as submissive as the kelvics." He said, his voice much softer than it's usual gravely tone. "If I am indeed the first of my people you have met, than you should know that we are much more likely to tell you a story than harm you."
Gromm

Character sheet

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Alea Davenport on December 5th, 2011, 1:40 am

At the mention of combat, Alea raised her eyebrows. She then gestured to her stick-like arms and said, "Do I look like I want to face anyone in battle? I'm the daughter of a fisherman! The only way I've survived this long is by only picking fights with people who are a little bit bigger than me." She then remembered a counter-example to her argument and added, "Or by running and hiding..."

Alea shivered and rubbed her arms. Standing in one place for several minutes was even more cold than walking. Nevertheless, she kept talking. "I'm in favor of stories. Almost as much as I'm in favor of not being harmed." She decided to shrug off his comment about Kelvics. On another day, she might have started an argument under the pretense of defending her friends, but she wasn't in the mood. That may have had something to do with prolonged exposure to lowered temperatures...
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Gromm on December 5th, 2011, 2:33 am

"A story? well I'm a warrior not a bard but..." He mumbled, trying to think of a worthy story. "Oh yes, well long ago, before the valitarian destroyed most of the known world, A warrior in a small town sired a daughter. Before she could even be called a woman, she had killed many and proved herself as the mightiest warrior in her village. She fought for her people to triumph, and Navre, inspired by her bravery, bestowed a race of tigers, Myrian tigers, to serve her. She destroyed all in her path and built an empire. Her people even began worshiping her as a goddess. Word reached Ruros, the god of war, and he was intrigued by this strange tale. He traveled to the Myris city, under the guise of a simple merchant, and stormed into the throne room of her castle. He tore of cloak and revealed himself. He demanded Myris people worship him in place, they refused and Myri demanded he leave. He tried to work out a deal, he would allow Myri to live if she became his bride. She refused without any hesitation, and this infuriated Ruros. 'Do you how many would die for this chance?' He said. 'I don't care how many, I am not one.' and with that, the two engaged in mortal combat. Eventually, Ruros had seemingly mortally injured Myri, but with her last ounce of strength pierced Ruros' heart. As it happened, The sword was Ash'dene. A sword created by Dira, god of death. By slaying ruros, Myri had become a true god. A mere mortal ascended to divinity by slaying a god in a duel." Gromm eyes filled with pride, remembering it was Myri's tale, in part, that had inspired Gromm to walk the path he does. "Anyway, that is the only story I know," He concluded "As I said I am not a storyteller by any stretch of the imagination, but take from that what you will."
Gromm

Character sheet

A warriors pride (open)

Postby Alea Davenport on December 6th, 2011, 3:15 am

Alea liked Gromm's version of stories: short. Never one for paying attention to things that weren't immediately relevant to her situation, she missed any deeper meaning, and so all she had to say was, "Good for her. That's a stupid reason to marry someone. Shame he had to die though." And that was the extent of her interest in that.

Moving on to more pertinent topics, she asked, "Why are you in Avanthal anyway? Were you on your way somewhere before I ran into you? I didn't mean to delay you if you had somewhere to be..."
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next