More Than Rocks and Valleys(Naama, Tabernac)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Postby Jaeden Kincade on December 10th, 2011, 4:31 am

40th Day of Winter, 510 A.V.

The terrain was different here than it had been in Sylira. Even Fortunado used caution in navigating it the Nightwalker stepped slowly over the ground, Jaeden riding along his back as he leaned forward slightly, positioning his body a little more evenly on a slight incline. It was more uneven. More dips and hills, the earth slightly more dense. The air felt thinner, and Jaeden found himself constantly slowing himself down, becoming winded a little easier from time to time with even walking on foot a lot of the time. The most common thing he had seen in this wilds were the mountains. Even in the valley he had been in, the large hills of earth and giant mountains of stone were easily spotted. It was almost like the Cobalt Mountains in Syliras, but just much, much more of it. Jaeden wasn’t even certain what he would find on this little excursion of his. He did know that Alvaldus was a city that he needed to get out of for a bit though. The shifting streets and buildings, the illusions, the way the whole city seemed to play tricks on the mind? It was like someone had slipped a drug into his drink, and then didn’t do anything fun to him that he would forget the next morning.

It had been Jaeden’s first time to these lands in the long run, and rather than staying in the city, researching books with the others, he felt a stronger need to head into the wilds and familiarize himself with the lands. He was competent enough a Wilderness Survivalist to know that these wilds would be alien to him. Unlike any in the forests of Sylira and Taldera, or the flat plains of Cyphrus and barren wastes of the Eyktol deserts. He had to know the elements he would be traveling in. What kind of wild life would be there, the type of flora. He had seen several types of berries already. Some were familiar to him and safe, others were questionable. Likely something he would research once he went back to Alvaldus for a small period of time.

He also spotted the Bistort root. Edible for the most part, but something that would have to be washed first. Thistles were also abundant, which was a good sign to him. Overall, there was food there in the plant life if hunting was scarce. For this trip, familiarizing himself with some of the terrain and dangers it sometimes presents took a little more priority however.

Jaeden slowly pulled back on Fortunado’s reigns, bringing the Nightwalker to a stop. He slowly dismounted, deciding the give the horse a small break from the burden of Jaeden’s weight along his back. It might not have been entirely necessary, but Jaeden did so anyways, walking now as he led Fortunado by the reigns. His gaze flowed over the ground as he walked, spotting several tracks along the area. Elk and deer, wolves and mountain cats. It wasn’t difficult with the snow covering the ground. He had seen a couple of bear tracks, but they weren’t too fresh. He only hoped that most of the population of bear were in their hibernation period. Most predatory animals during the winter season would be hunting more intensely, less picky about what they found just due to the scarcity of available food during Morwen’s prominent season.

Jaeden then paused, hearing the slight crunch of snow in the distance, his nose took in the scents in the air, most of it being the thin air and smell of pine trees. Whatever approached, had its scent carried away from him by the wind. Eventually he gave a slow exhale of relief as he saw the red busy fur running along the white covered grounds. Red had returned. Jaeden turned, stepping beside Fortunado as he reached up into one of the sacks that sat along the Nightwalker’s back. A fur cloak was pulled free from within it just as Red was stepping up in front of Jaeden. As the flash of golden light appeared, signaling Red’s transformation into her human form, Jaeden swung the cloak through the air before it fell downward, resting along Red’s shoulders just as her human form appeared. “Well?” Jaeden asked, reaching back into the sack and pulling out the rest of Red’s clothing as she huddled close to him, sharing his body heat for the moment.

“Smelled a lot of rabbits. Some deer and elk. A good deal of wolves and mountain cats.” Red answered as she put on her wool pants, then boots, followed quickly by her shirt and gloves. “No bears yet at least. I didn’t see any roads to speak of though.”

Jaeden slowly shook his head. “No, I didn’t suspect there would be in mountain terrain.” Jaeden replied, offering Red some of the dried jerky beef, which she took and ate down rather quickly, slightly exhausted from the terrain she had covered. Even in her fox form the change in the air was tiring.

“No roads?” Red then said, after swallowing the bit of food she had in her mouth.

“Sylira is the only region I’ve come across that actually has any roads leading someplace.” Jaeden noted, offering Red some water next. “Every other place has had, at best, just some well traveled paths. It’s one of the reasons I wanted to come out exploring. Familiarize ourselves with the lands, for later travels.”

“You do know your way back to the city though, right?” Red replied, looking at Jaeden curiously.

“You in a hurry to get back?” Jaeden said, a smirk starting to sharpen the corner of his mouth.

“Hell no.” Red said, almost defiantly. “But it will be nice to get out of the cold after a time. Even if it’s for a day. “

“Don’t worry, I may not know precisely the way to any place else in these lands right now, but I do know the way back to Alvaldus.” Jaeden explained. “I’ve been memorizing certain landmarks and terrain along the way.”

“Okay.” Red replied.

“Shall we continue then?” Jaeden said, resting his hand along Red’s shoulder.

Red gave a swift nod, taking a draw of water from the waterskin before handing it back to Jaeden. With a nod in return, Jaeden then began moving around, Red stepping in toe beside him as they moved onward. Jaeden’s gaze was constantly moving over his surroundings, taking in as much of the land that light provided. He looked for certain rock formations, a tree that had a distinguishing growth pattern to it, certain dips and rises in the land. If he had any skill for it, he would have been making a map. As it stood, Jaeden’s map was generally in his head. It wasn’t as if either of them were looking for anything specific this day, but there was no telling what one would find out in the wilds.
Last edited by Jaeden Kincade on January 16th, 2012, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Naama on December 27th, 2011, 3:35 am

"Straighter."

"I am."

"Hold it straighter, lad. By Zulrav, you can't let it slouch like a limp manhood, hold it tight and firm. That's right, better."

"Am I supposed to squeeze it too?"

Cheeky little rat.

She slapped the boy's left arm as he sought to keep the sword aloft in his right. "This is a one-handed weapon so refrain from using both arms." She observed him for a time, noting how a lengthy scrub had left Squirt's skin lighter than it used to be under the layers of caked dirt. His hair was also no longer a nest of rats, and was cropped short with the blunt edge of a small dagger. What was once a repulsive street urchin now appeared more presentable, and cute to boot.

Squirt managed to hold the up the sword for thirty seconds before his arm trembled under the strain and dropped once again. "It's too hard, this thing is heavy."

Naama rolled her eyes, "It's not heavy, your arms are just made of twigs."

"Can't we just go back to the city? I'm tired and cold, and hungry." He added dragging the hook of the sword along the ground to form a wide circle.

"Stop that, you don't want to dull the blade," She barked, "Warriors don't whine. Nor do they complain about being hungry. If you want food, you best work for it, munchkin."

Crunch.

The sounds of cracking twigs and crushed, brittle leaves traveled through the chill air. Naama held up a hand to silence the boy, glancing beyond the frosted brush and low-hanging branches heavy with snow. Petch, what is it now? She expected men garbed in boiled leather and chainmail, brandishing bloodied swords and ropes, with brown grins plastered on frostbitten faces, but instead she was greeted with the sight of a man and a woman.

"Did they do it out here?" Squirt blurted out, small finger pointing.

"If they did, they deserve an award if his cock didn't fall off." She held up a hand, motioning towards the couple. "Ho, there strangers, I hope you are friends, as fighting out here would be undesirable at best."
Naama
Chunki Faguta

Words: 130159
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2011, 2:53 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 2nd, 2012, 6:24 am

Jaeden paused for a moment, hearing the voice echoing out towards him, then the hand slowly moving back and forth drew his visual attention as Red looked on from his side, sniffing the air. “Just them two.” Red said subtly, checking the air for other scents.

“Did she ask if we were friends? As in you and I?” Jaeden asked, looking down to Red.

“I don’t know. The way some of these races phrase things sometimes. It’s like a trick question.” Red replied. “And fighting each other? I mean, do people who aren’t friends walk with one another?”

“Sometimes, I suppose. Maybe if they’re traveling to have some sort of duel of honor, or something.” Jaeden answered, rubbing his chin for a moment.

“Well, that’s just plain silly. Why not just have it in town, or wherever they decided there would be a duel?” Red then asked.

“Hell if I know.” Jaeden said before giving a shrug and looking to Red. “Well, I suppose we should show her and let her know. Don’t want her being too concerned or something.”

Jaeden hen extended his hand out to Red, offering it to her. “Hi, I’m Jaeden. Wanna be friends?” Jaeden asked the Kelvic.

Red rolled her eyes for a moment before grabbing Jaeden’s hand and shaking it firmly. “Sure. Considering we’re bonded and have sex on a nightly basis. That would make sense.” Red then replied, as both of them flashed smiles at each other.

“Great.” Jaeden said, kissing the back of Red’s hand. “Now, lets head over there and let them know that we’re friendly, and mean them no harm.”

Red gave a slow nod. “Just so long as she isn’t asking whether or not we’re lovers next, and we have to prove that in front of them.” Red replied.

Jaeden and Red then slowly began trudging their way over towards Naama and Squirt. A vague familiarity crossing Jaeden’s mind. He could have sworn he had seen the woman and child at least once during that chaotic night up in Alvaldus. And not the good kind of chaos either, where you wake up and aren’t sure who’s arm is draped over your various body parts because someone thought it would be a good idea to eat those mushrooms while playing gambling games where clothing was wagered.

Jaeden stopped then, looking back and forth between Naama and Squirt. His lips parted, about to say something before a sudden bump from behind by Fortunado, who ultimately failed to stop in time, sent Jaeden stumbling forward, off balance. “Whoa, whoa, WHOA!” Jaeden yelled, his stumbling forward to keep him upright bringing him crashing into Naama.

Both fell to the ground and then there was sudden silence as Red and Fortunado looked over the scene with both slight shock and amusement. Naama had fallen on her back, Jaeden on his front. Not typically an usual situation. However, what made this situation awkward, was the fact that Jaeden’s face had managed to end up falling between Naama’s legs in the fall, his face deeply buried in the material of those leather legging as he gave out a small groan of discomfort over the fall. Jaeden then began to slide his hands along the ground, pressing his palms flat along the snow and earth. “Hrmmm, so warm.” Jaeden said in a muffled tone, before his face suddenly shot up in realization of where it was.

Jaeden quickly spun around, shaking his fist at Fortunado. “Watch it you big lug!” Jaeden said before getting back to his feet, and offering a hand to Naama. “Sorry about that. The horse doesn’t know his own strength sometimes.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Naama on January 13th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Naama landed with a cold thump on the ground, the frosted earth seeping into her legs, where a man now lay sprawled with his head somewhere where it shouldn't be. What did I walk into this time?

"Looks like you need to find your stallion a lady horse, maybe he'll stop giving you hints." She winked and eased herself up, using Jaeden's extended hand as support. She glanced up, finally acknowledging his face, suddenly reminded of the flash of sun-kissed metal, clockwork soldiers under the command of someone she could only call a monster.

"I see," She muttered, her breath expelled in puffs of white clouds, "You were there during the siege of Alvadas. Wretched metal husks and all. Jardan.. No.. Jerry? Jason?"

"I bet he rehearsed that." Squirt piped in, whirling the sword around in a circle above his head. "He looks too smug."

"Don't mind the child, his sack was chewed off by squirrels, now he's bitter about his fate with the eunuchs." She held out a hand, and Squirt grudgingly relinquished the sword with a puff of his cheeks.

"Not many people come out to these woods so willingly. What brings you out here if not debauchery?"
Naama
Chunki Faguta

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 16th, 2012, 4:50 am

Jaeden slowly gave a shrug as he looked back to Fortunado. “I’d have no one to ride the mare if I purchased one, so I’d likely just have to have one of them carry a whole bunch of stuff. Which sort of seems…… excessive to just give Fortunado something to mount.” Jaeden paused, looking upward as if to rethink what he just said, almost seemingly questioning if such came out right. In the end, he just shrugged as Naama struggled with trying to recall his name from the chaotic events that happened up in Alvadas.

“Jaeden.” Red said, correcting Naama’s struggle with Jaeden’s name as she folded her arms and looked down at Squirt for a moment, as if to size the child up.

Jaeden then slowly shook his head, looking down at Squirt. “Not at all. Truth be told, most who know me well enough would likely be in agreement with the spud.” Jaeden said before looking to Red. “This here is Red, don’t mind her straightforwardness, especially when it comes to me. It’s just her way in the end.”

Jaeden the gave a slow look around to their surroundings before motioning to the wilds themselves. “Exploration and familiarization in the end.” Jaeden answered before dropping his hand to his waist, looking back to Naama. “I figured, rather than wait for something to go Zyth shyke crazy in Alvadas again, apart from the typical crazy it displays anyhow, that I would come out to the wilds and see what trouble I can muster up here. Overall, I’m more comfortable in the wilds than I am a city anyways, and it lets me become familiar with the land, so I don’t have to rely on a map which would likely be wrong in a lot of ways anyhow.”

Jaeden then looked between Naama and Squirt. “I’m guessing from the fact that he was holding a sword and the very unlikely situation of debauchery between you two because of the squirrel harvesting incident, that you two were training then?” Jaeden said, continuing the small talk before his hand suddenly moved up, pressing along Fortunado’s chest as he began stepping forward again.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Tabarnac on January 16th, 2012, 5:47 am

ImageRed smelled her first, that part of her that was beast responding to a language the rest of them could not hear, the quietest little fox sounds that the two-legged creatures could not hear over their own voices. It began to snow as Red shifted in another flash of gold light, her cloak falling to the ground as she bolted into the woods. Whether Jaeden and the others paid her any heed, there was only silence as a figure stepped out finally, the fox in her arms and nuzzling the white witch of Kalea. She was white now, in any case, skinny arms showing through white furs and bits of castoff clothes. There was a wildness about her, though she was tender enough with the fawning fox who clearly thought this was her long lost mother or some such.

The woman's feet made no noise, barely left a track in the snow. This was impossible, of course. Her hair was stiff with woad and no washing, and the snow settled there without melting. It was light stuff yet, but there was no telling whether it would disappear as quickly as it came or dump down on them for the next two weeks. This close to Alvadas, they had more to worry about whether Ionu or Ionu's city might think it funny to trick their minds into thinking all was well when really they were beginning to freeze.

She looked at the boy, and Naama, frowning for a moment at the woman who didn't belong in these parts, in these climes. Last she looked to Jaeden himself, and then at something he carried that she recognized at last.

First a hiss, then a strange, coughing gargle. Finally she seemed to remember human speech, though her voice sounded rasping, guttural, as if it were not the sort of speech for which her vocal apparatus was made.

"The Bowman," she noted. Fortunado tossed his head, whickering at her and straining to move toward her no matter what Jaeden might do. "A freeze comes. Now you come with me. Tell me what you seek out here. Not the place for people."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 17th, 2012, 9:50 pm

Jaeden’s gaze fell upon Red as she suddenly shifted and moved quickly in her animal form. The only reason his body didn’t tense up to suddenly move while reaching for his sword, was because he felt no urgency, panic or fear from Red. More of an excitement and curiosity of sorts. As the woman came walking out, cradling Red in her arms, Jaeden’s gaze fell over her, but not in the usual way his gaze normally fell upon a woman. The way she moved with virtually no sound meant that she could have been on Jaeden and Naama before either of them were even aware that she was there. Truth be told, Jaeden almost immediately suspected she could have avoided detection from both Red and Fortunado both as well, if she had wanted. And the miniscule imprints she left on the snow. They were minor due to a light footed step, and would be gone with the next snow drift that the winds carried. She was someone Jaeden himself couldn’t possibly hope to track if he were tasked to, as capable a tracker as he was.

Then there was her attire, and upkeep. Everything she wore had no hint of being tailored by a skilled hand like Jaeden or Naama’s attire. Her hair was stiff and unkempt, and a quick smell of the air found Jaeden smelling no perfumes or soaps permeating in the air from her body. There was no smells at all that Jaeden could catch with his nose, and while the parts of her skin, as white as it was, had a hint of dirt covering over it in minor patches, she was in no way would one would call dirty overall.

In the end, Jaeden didn’t recognize the woman, but there was something about her all the same. A certain familiarity of sorts, not so much on a personal level, but on a commonality. With that first gaze, Jaeden almost immediately knew this was a woman of the forest. A wilderness survivalist. More importantly, Jaeden recognized that he was, in that commonality, completely out of his league when compared to her. She was practically twice the hermit of the forest that Jaeden had been over this past year, and Jaeden suspected that she hadn’t seen the inside of a city in likely well over a year. Jaeden suspected that the woman was at least as skilled, possibly even more skilled, than his mentor, Olevar.

When she spoke, it just cemented Jaeden’s deductions a little further. The broken common she spoke with, carrying very little hint of an accent of other dialects. Jaeden was what some people might considered, well traveled. He had met most of the races the lands of Mizahar had to offer. Heard most of them speak in both their native tongue and in common tongue. This woman’s broken common sounded more akin to a person who rarely spoke to anyone at all, more than someone who used it to communicate when they couldn’t use their native language.

Jaeden slowly dropped his hand from Fortunado’s path, patting the Nightwalker along his neck a couple of times before letting the steed roam as he wished. He then looked over to Naama, giving a slow nod. “Come on,” he said with a nudge of his head in the woman’s direction. “Apparently there’s a blizzard coming and soon.”

Jaeden then looked to the woman of the wilds that stood before them. “Lead the way.“ Jaeden then said to the woman, giving a slow nod. “By what name might we address you, if you do not mind sharing your name?”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Naama on January 18th, 2012, 3:14 am

"Red and Jaeden." She repeated, "What pretty hair, Red. I quite envy you." She turned back to the man, securing her swords along her belt, "Well, Jaeden, I'll have to agree Alvadas is not my first choice of a city, it takes me far too long to find the nearest pub."

Squirt began toying with the snow, dragging a stick along the ground with as much efficiency as an ant. "Are you guys going to talk forever? I'm bored."

"Squirt," She barked, but whatever words she meant to chastise him with died in her throat as the sight of the lone pale woman crept into view. If not for her strange, cryptic words Naama would have concluded that she was a lone, maddened crone. A shiver surged in her bones, and she glanced up, cursing the snow. "More petching snow? Perfect. I should have stayed inside."

Nevertheless, Naama called for Squirt, who'd been staring so vigorously at the new arrival. They both trailed after the witch and Jaeden. "Can we trust you, my lady of the woods?" She finally asked, her boots crunching on the frost, "I've had my share of run-ins with magic types, I'd rather avoid them."
Naama
Chunki Faguta

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on January 25th, 2012, 3:04 am

"Trust your blood and trust your bones," she advised cryptically, the strength of her voice feral but not cruel, strong but not unkind. It was winter, the time of the crone, and certainly she was at her most curmudgeonly at this time of year, but she was a follower of nature, red of tooth and claw. There was, as well, the occasional flash of color on her skin, brilliant bits that made little sense without seeing the full picture. Red remained tucked in her arms as she began to lead them away from Alvadas.

"Karhu I was called of old," she added for Jaeden's benefit, though she said it without any sort of connection to it, mere syllables without meaning. Further attempts at conversation were met with silence. She was not much of a one for talking, clearly, though on occasion when the trudge of their boots and hooves in the snow and the rest of their various and sundry noises didn't completely block it out, one might hear the faint, almost subsonic humming that had to be coming from her. She was, in fact, singing to Red.

They walked through the night, and when morning came, the temperature did not rise. The cold snap had come. Only Karhu herself seemed unaffected by Morwen's kiss, but she squinted at the foothills and led them in. With the growing light, they could see the occasional animal stop to stare almost respectfully at her as they passed. When they came to the end of the game trail she had found, there was naught but a tumble of fallen rocks. She stopped them.

"Take what you need from the horses," she said simply.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 28th, 2012, 1:18 am

Jaeden gave a slow nod, turning to Fortunado as he swayed a little back and forth in almost a restless manner. “Easy buddy.” Jaeden said as he stepped up the Nightwalker and began stripping all the gear from his back, followed soon by the saddle, reigns and bit. Eventually, Jaeden rested the gear and saddle over his back, holding it with his left hand as it hung from curled fingers. Jaeden gave a few quick pats to Fortundo’s back, brushing his hand over the thin fur for a moment. “Just be sure to check back when the storm passes.” Jaeden told the Nightwalker before walking back up before Karhu.

“If he’s going to be roaming out here in this, he won’t be carrying any burden on his back.” Jaeden then told Karhu, as he took the weight Fortunado carried, without him or Red riding, along his own back in the Nightwalker’s stead.

“I see a giant pile of rocks there.” Jaeden then said, under the impression now that there was likely a cave behind such, but that it merely awaited Karhu to open the way now. “The lead is yours once more, Karhu.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Next