income and skills

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

income and skills

Postby Xandes on March 10th, 2010, 5:15 pm

Hey, i did have a quick look through the other questions but am still unsure. Firstly Income;

Say i have a side job as a hunter just outside riverfall while training to be a bountyhunter/merc. I assume i need to create some sort of thread but who would be my boss and who would award me income. would i rp with myself and give it to myself or would a mod/storyteller award it me. Also i assume as i worked my skill level would increase for that also. how would that be measured?

For skills i have almost the the same question. If i rp with my NPC mentor training for my chosen career as a bountyhunter/merc do i again just post Rp by myself and wait for the mod/storyteller to award me points or do i just award myself the expected amount stated in the skills section every time i train. Or have i missed something there.

Lastly can a be in 2 threads at once in the same day. I.e can can I be in two places at once doing say, training, working and possibly adventuring. or do i stick to one thing at a time and at the end of my work post say something about me going to my mentor to train and vice verse with adventuring.

any help would be great as i don't want to post the threads i have ready until i am clear about the money and skills dynamic as i wouldn't want to godmod.

Edit: If anyone has any free time i would love some feed back on my character sheet as it is my first and rather a new concept to me.
Xandes Lidwell (Created from Xander Blackwell) by panther(used to be moonchild) if you know me from other sites pm so we can rp!!!!
Xandes
Bounty Hunter

Words: 5967
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2010, 2:07 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Re: income and skills

Postby Gossamer on March 10th, 2010, 5:40 pm

First off, you never assume your income and award yourself accordingly ie give yourself mizas. You need to make arrangements with a local moderator or a founder for a permanent source of income ... and certain jobs like bountyhunting would only generate income based on a thread by thread basis. So if your outside Riverfall trying to earn an income via bounty hunting you need to do a moderated thread for each hunt to get an income that way. If your say hunting deer on a regular basis and selling the meat, you don't need to do a thread each time, but still need to make arrangements with a DS/AS/RS to have an earned income that way and keep mentioning it/doing it in threads... bottom line is they need to add something to your SS thread to let everyone else know your approved to do that... storyteller wise.

You can be in multiple threads at once as long as they are taking place at different times in the current time frame. If they take place at the same time, you can't be in more than one. Read "Timestamping" in the wiki for a better idea of what I mean.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: income and skills

Postby Charon on March 10th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Xandes,

I'm glad you've decided to play an Akalak character! Concerning your character sheet, you've covered all of your basics and have put a little bit of thought into how you want your character to start out, but I would recommend you take that character concept further. You've obviously had some experience with RPGs in the past and using a character personality or concept from something you've used in the past is fine and provides a good start, but I would encourage you to pour over the Akalak lore page and see how much you can apply their culture to this basic idea you've already started.

You've already added a bit here and there about the Akalak culture and that's wonderful, but I guess I'm just encouraging you to not feel like your character needs to be so closely related to what you've done with past games/characters. You mentioned that your character will evolve as influenced in this world, and that's good, so I'm looking forward to how much more "Mizaharian" you can make that original character idea!

As far as the format of your character sheet goes, click around on other characters that have been around for some time and you'll get plenty of ideas on how to organize/write your character sheet, but as I said earlier since you have your basics down, these aesthetics and organizational aspects will develop with time.

Welcome and feel free to ask away with any questions you have!
| - Riverfall - | - Akalak - | - Starting Guide - |

Charon
Fiendish Ferryman

Words: 99186
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2010, 1:36 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Staff account
Office