A Friendly Spar (Banir, Alea)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Yuros on December 16th, 2011, 2:24 am

(Early Morning) 7th of Winter, 511 AV

The sun had not yet peeked over the horizon as Yuros stepped through the freshly fallen snow, his hooves sinking nearly up to his knees in some places. Tossing his antlered head, the Kelvic trotted in place to warm up his muscles and to get his blood pumping. He had come out at this time before the break of dawn in order to enjoy the fullness of his animal form without the restriction of the city, and now, as Yuros gazed out at the nearly endless fields of white, he felt the urge to let go of his restraints and be free once more!

So, with a loud bellow that was field with the fierceness of a wild stag, Yuros leapt forward into a full sprint, his hooves pounding the ground as he bellowed once more. It felt like every strain or worry was swept away from Yuros' mind just as the wind swept through his fur. The pounding of his hooves and the pull of his powerful muscles drowned out all thought. It was in these times in his animal form that Yuros began to realize just how great a change he had undergone when he met Alea and entered into the world of two legs. When before he would act on instinct to survive, now more and more the Kelvic was finding that he was thinking on his actions before making them.

With a huff the great stag made a sharp bank and altered his direction, leaping clear over a snow drift and continuing his run, the city of Avanthal on his left. It was true, the time he had spent within the confines of the city had changed Yuros, and he was not certain if it was all for the better. It was with a mild amount of annoyance that Yuros examined his own actions as of late. From what he could see, if he were to have acted as such within the Spire, on though and not instinct, Yuros was certain he would have died long ago. Certainly there were benefits to logical thought, and Yuros could understand this as well, but when thought slowed ones reflexes in the wild that meant certain death.

It must be the tongue of the two legs... It inspires far to many idle thoughts within minds that are better off calm and focused. thought Yuros. Blinking twice, the Kelvic huffed once more and leapt, landing heavily and altering his direction once more so that he was running in the opposite direction now. And it seems I have fallen prey to their way of living as well...

It was with more than a bit of concern that Yuros wondered if his own reflexes had been slowed. After all, it had been very long since the Kelvic had been forced to defend himself from creatures bent on consuming his flesh for their own existence...

Shaking his head and leaping once more, Yuros altered his direction so that he was springing toward the entrance to Avanthal, his frustration causing him to push himself faster and faster until he was little more than a streak of reddish brown dashing across the white expanse. With one final bellow the Kelvic lowered his antlered head and dashed straight at the entrance, and directly into the path of a group of Vantha gathered about a quarter mile outside the open gates. Without missing a beat, Yuros gathered his strength and pounded his hind hooves deep into the snow, rearing up and leaping over the group. Easily clearing them the Stag slowed his sprint to a quick trot and made his way back into the city, nodding to the polar bears at the entrance as he did.

Inwardly Yuros grumbled, And I have come to see these bears as simply a part of the scenery... Yes, I would have died if I had been as this within the Trees and Grass... So, with a flash of glittering light Yuros returned once more to his human form and picked up the clothing he had left beside the gate. Quickly dawning his boots and leggings the Kelvic turned and began making his way into the city, his destination Frostfawn to see after Alea.

Yuros brushed a hand through his read flecked hair, This time in the city has tainted me it seems. I must find a way to reclaim my instincts once more...
Last edited by Yuros on January 31st, 2012, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yuros
Player

Words: 68652
Joined roleplay: October 27th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Banir Ironwood on December 16th, 2011, 5:37 am

In the dim light of a still dark sky Banir sat on a bench. Clad within his dirty green coat steeled against the cold of the early morning air. The dull brown leggings sealed in the grey iron gleaves. The metal on his right arm shifting and clicking with each movement he made. His long breaths turned as mist in the freezing air. The small bits of ice from his breath collecting on his white scarf hiding the lower half of his face; his top half hid by the dark shadow of his fur lined hood.

Held within his left was a discarded bit of wood with markings on it, the beginning of one of his carvings. The wood was damaged and cracked it was difficult to remove the bark and wood but he was managing. Carving was always a wonderful way to clear his mind, let him focus solely on one task without involving emotions.

His stomach had awoken him, and he had quieted it but he couldn't sleep afterwards. Finding his feet wandering he simply followed them. They had led him to the peaceful spot near the market. The carving kept his mind off the cold and his own heavy eyelids as he slowly sliced away at his peaceful hobby. Self absorbed into his own world as the world slowly awakened, the light starting to come into the world.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Words: 218834
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2011, 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Yuros on December 18th, 2011, 1:54 am

Yuros' paid little attention to his surroundings as he made his way toward the Hold where Alea stayed. His mind was absently going over all that was troubling him, and he did not notice Banir as he passed him by in his stroll. However, Yuros did notice the man's sent. Turning, Yuros blinked and smiled an uncertain smile, "You are... Banir correct? The Kitten's human?"

Offering an incline of his head, Yuros looked over Banir. The Kelvic still felt a bit uncertain of the man, but if Alea did not see him as a threat then for the moment Yuros could abide him. In an effort to perform as a two legged would, Yuros cleared his throat, "I am... going to see to the Huntress. Would you like to accompany me a ways?"

The Kelvic had noticed that Banir seemed to prefer to set himself appart from most company, and he was not sure if the man would accept his offer. Yuros, however, knew that Alea would have wished for him to ask all the same.

These two-leg customs are truly a bother... thought Yuros, but with a shrug Yuros turned and continued toward the hold. If Banir followed or not Yuros had done as was expected of him.

It was not long before the Hold came into view. Yuros was first greeted by the smell of horses and hay, and for a moment the Kelvic could not help a small feeling of derision for the simple creatures. Shaking his head, however, Yuros quickly dismissed the thought. His mother had always taught him that all creatures, no matter their species, had both their good and bad traits. Soon the stables themselves came into site, and Yuros made his way toward them, searching the grounds for Alea as he did.
Yuros
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on December 19th, 2011, 2:26 am

Meanwhile, Alea was finishing her chores for the morning. She had only recently begun working in the Frostfawn stables, and was only just adjusting to the hours kept in the stable. Her back was a bit sore from repeatedly pitchforking hay into the feeding troughs of each four-legged animal, but she was starting to get used to the hard physical labor. All she had left to do for the morning was put some snow in the water troughs. She couldn't melt it herself of course, but there were other workers in the stables with Morwen's mark. The time consuming part was carrying the large quantities of snow into the stables, but once Alea finished this, she'd have the day to herself until it was time for the evening chores.

She carried a large bucket outside to look for some clean snow, but the first thing she saw was Yuros framed by the most beautiful sunrise... Her heart skipped a beat, but she greeted him cheerfully. As she walked toward him, she notice Banir trailing behind. "Banir!" she said with enthusiasm, remembering her promise of the previous day. "I need you to fight someone! Please say you will! I won't mind at all if you go berserk again; the person I want you to fight is kind of a jerk." She hoped Banir wasn't still depressed over what had happened during their attempt at fishing, and this was her way to try to cheer him up.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on December 19th, 2011, 5:03 am

Banir heard his name and suddenly snapped out of his daze. Looking around confused his red eyes where dull but where quickly gaining their sharp deep ruby color. Seeing Yuros walk away from him in the cold drifts of the morning. He had hardly heard a word he had said, yet he got up and trailed behind him. His heavy foot steps and clattering of metal as he trailed a few breaths in his wake.

Holding his terrible carving in his clawed hand. Keeping his head humbly low, his eyes at his own feet with occasional glimpses at his surroundings. A growing sense of danger and slight fear stirred in his head. Looking up he saw the stables, curiosity poking at his mind, he suddenly felt the desire to pet a horse. He suddenly jumped a little at hearing his name, it was a voice that stirred him for a fight.

The iron claws on his right hand started to twitch the metal clattering slightly. He was blinking in sheer surprise as Alea practically came at him. Resisting the strong urge to attack he listened, or tried to, at what she was saying. 'Fight someone? Go berserk? What in the name of the gods is she talking about?' Putting up both his hands mentioning for her to give him a moment he took a small long breath to calm down then spoke.

"Who, am I to fight? And why am I to fight them? And why me?" Honestly confused his red eyes blinking several times beneath the dark shadow of his hood. The lining fur shifted in the wind his breath slowly moving past his white scarf.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on December 21st, 2011, 12:02 am

Alea pouted slightly at Banir's lack of enthusiasm. When the huge Jamoura had asked her yesterday if she knew anyone who would be willing to spar, her mind had immediately jumped to Banir, who seemed like he had some aggression he needed to work out. She'd figured that Banir would have a hard time hurting a Jamoura, even if her weren't holding back, which meant he wouldn't have to feel guilty afterwards! Unfortunately, she didn't quite know how to explain any of this.

After her mouth opened and shut several times with no words coming out, she finally said, "Yuros, you tell him! I have to go finish watering the horses!" With that she quickly walked away. After scooping up a bucketful of snow, she disappeared inside the barn, only to reappear moments later to repeat the process, trying to fill the troughs as quickly as she could so she would be able to watch Banir's fight with the Jamoura.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Yuros on December 22nd, 2011, 7:31 pm

Yuros paused for a moment, confused as well as to what was going on. The Kelvic scratched his head and watched after Alea's retreating back, and then he turned to look at Banir. Sniffing the air he noticed the man's own confusion. Blinking Yuros looked once more after Alea, sighing and shaking his head. Rolling his shoulders the Kelvic looked at Banir, eyeing him with a calculating expression.

Clearing his throat Yuros spoke in a voice that held some authority, "The Huntress' ways may be strange, but her intentions are often good. It may seem strange to us for the moment, but if we do as she asks then perhaps we will be grateful." Yuros' eyes traveled up and down Banir, his eyes searching for something, "Where I am from one never questions whom one has to fight, but simply accepts it as an inevitability. Though it may seem unusual, this situation is no different. The Huntress calls us to fight, and we of Spirit and Bone should feel eager to test ourselves against another's strength."

Yuros turned his gaze back to Alea, watching her work for a moment. There was a strange look in his eyes, a softness that had not been there moments earlier. The Kelvic looked as if he were fighting with something within him as he spoke, "Alea must see something within you, something of your strength that leads her to such actions. A true male would not shy away from such a challenge when a doe is watching," His eyes hardend as he looked back at Banir, looking down from his three inch vantage over the man, "And I shall not shy away either."
Yuros
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Banir Ironwood on December 22nd, 2011, 10:11 pm

He had been insulted, though he didn't consider it much of an insult. Since he was filled more with questions than anything. This may be one of the first times he would, or ever had in his life expressed his moral standings. As he stood there his feet cold in the snow, he took long deep breaths steadying his emotions. His gruff voice cutting into the air.

"Yuros, I am not a soldier, I am a person. Listen to me and listen well, if Alea suddenly decided she wanted you to kill. You would do it, simply because you are told and because she would be watching. I am not saying she ever would. But if that ever did happen you would do it?" He looked up into Yuros' eyes, the red of rage burning in his eyes. But something else lurked beneath the rage, it wasn't as powerful but it was far more dangerous. It was belief, he was going on what he believed what was right.

"I question who I fight because I don't enjoy hurting others. And as far as testing your strength." Pausing to take long deep breaths to keep his emotions cooled. Fighting and killing where touchy subjects with him. Hurting without thinking was something that he did to easily when lost to his emotions. "In order to test your strength you fight bigger and stronger opponents. Not whoever or what ever tells you to fight."

He couldn't help it any more, his rage was starting to boil up again. That right clawed metal hand of his began to twitch and shake the metal clattering lightly. The shadow may have covered his eyes but as he looked up at Yuros the deep ruby red was almost like a full moon lighting up the night.
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on December 23rd, 2011, 1:16 am

Working quickly, Alea had been able to make several trips with the bucket, and she had finished and returned to the pair waiting outside just in time to hear Banir's last few words. An expression bearing a distant resemblance to remorse crossed her face as she realized that, in her excitement, she had not explained things very well. "Oh, I'm sorry Banir! I didn't mean to force you to fight! It's just that, yesterday, Yuros and I met a Jamoura warrior named Gromm, who said he was looking for opponents to spar with, and I immediately thought of you!"

She noticed Banir's shaking claw arm and was forcibly reminded of how quickly he could turn violent. She had to find a way to defuse the situation; she could always run and hide, but she didn't want Yuros to get hurt. "If you really don't want to fight I can apologize to Gromm, but would you at least come with us to talk to him? I'm sure between all of us, we can find a way to have a friendly spar without anyone getting hurt." She flashed her best smile at Banir, blissfully unaware of any reaction her behavior might be causing in Yuros.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Yuros on December 23rd, 2011, 3:47 am

The Kelvic remained silent throughout Banir's speech, and though he could see the belief in the man's eyes Yuros could not understand his logic. When would the Huntress ask him to kill? And if she did, did it matter one way or another? Within the Trees and Grass his kin would die around him every season from contests of strength among each other, or from the bite of a predator on the prowl. It was not uncommon for the his kind to kill each other just to prove themselves to a mate, and thus Yuros could not understand Banir's passion on the subject. However, the Kelvic quickly dismissed these thoughts, once more feeling the taint that was brought on by too long in two-leg territory.

Yuros eyed Banir for a moment, taking in his expression and and shaking claw. Sniffing the air the Kelvic could smell his rage, but this did little to disturb the man. He wondered at the man's anger, still not certain where it had arisen from. The Kelvic had not insulted him (at least not by his reckoning), and the man had no mate to fight for. Without a hint of sarcasm Yuros wondered if the man suffered from Crazed Eye that plagued several within the Spire? Blinking slowly Yuros sized up Banir in a matter of seconds, coming to a decision that, if the time come, he would have no need to run, however, Alea's sudden approach set his nerves a bit on edge, for it was her safety that he cared the most for. He was certain he could defend himself from any danger, but Alea... Yuros knew he would have to change his actions to suit her intervention.

As Alea came to his side, Yuros placed a hand protectively on her shoulder, his eyes narrowing at Banir as if he expected the man to make a move against her. His muscles tense, the Kelvic sniffed the air and noted Alea's own slight nervousness, and he felt his resolve harden. At her words Yuros glanced down. She was speaking of the Jamoura they had met the day before, but Yuros was curious as to what she meant a "Freindly Spar". Perhaps it was because the Yuros was still new to the way of Two legs, but he could not imagine a spar being friendly in any way. At her smile Yuros felt something within him tighten, but the Kelvic could not begin to guess what it was. He did, however, tighten his grip on her shoulder and move a bit closer. All the better to protect her of course.
Yuros
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next