I'm probably overcomplicating this

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Coriander on January 20th, 2012, 12:45 am

Oh boy, another lost newbie struggling with character creation!

I'm not sure if this is the proper place for it, but I'm just looking for advice and suggestions to help mold the vague character concept I have, and maybe I'll learn some helpful things about the world along the way.

So basically, as of this moment, my PC is a young human girl, somewhere between the ages of 12 and 16.
She resides in one of the less stable cities of Sylira, Sunberth or Ravok (I haven't decided which, but I'm leaning towards Sunberth). She's an orphan, but out of necessity she has adapted pretty well to the life of a street urchin (the originality, it's mind blowing right? how do I even do it? working out the details) and doesn't dwell over her lack of family. On the contrary, the fact that she's an orphan is something that hardly crosses her mind; nothing more than a fact of her life.
Some event happens (again, working out the details) that makes her decide resolutely to leave the city she is in and travel to the city of Syliras, of which she has a somewhat disillusioned 'streets paved of gold' impression. This is where she's at right now, the very point at which she begins to form a plan to depart.

So that is the main goal of her existence as my PC: make it to Syliras.
Seeing as how she's young and lacks skills outside of stealth and petty thievery, this would be extremely difficult for her, and ideally she would face many obstacles. She would need to aqcuire travelling patners (which in itself would be a challenge for her, since she's flippant and has a less than trustworthy background) and it would most likely be a long time before she even set foot out of her home city. She'll spend a good amount of time developing an 'escape plan' that is as least likely to end in her demise as possible.
The perils or plunders she might encounter on the way are unknown. The success of her journey is not a thing set in stone or even really a thing that's probable. Life doesn't work as planned; she could never make it to Sylaris, she could become entangled in some other diversion, she could die. Even if she were to achieve her goal, the grass is always greener on the other side, and she may learn this the hard way.

A lot of her story is circumstantial and highly prone to change and upheaval, as I think it should be (and would be anyway, given the volatile nature of roleplay) and as I would enjoy. Her concept in a nutshell, I'd say, is the age old process of 'growing up'-- in the unforgiving lands of Mizahar.
Essentially, I'm just looking for the opinions of those more experienced than me, maybe some help on working out the kinks and world immersion itself (suggested starting packs and such), technicalities (and drawbacks) of role playing a younger character in Miz, etc.
I'm unsure of how the life of an orphan would work in Ravok/Sunberth, other than it would be high danger and, realistically, to survive she would have had to have fallen into some sort of semi-protective gang or guild, earning her right to live through an unpleasant line of work.

Any feedback is appreciated! Please be as honest as possible because that's the only way I'll improve and gain a better understanding of Mizahar :)
Last edited by Coriander on January 20th, 2012, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coriander
Imperfections Aside

Words: 14476
Joined roleplay: January 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oluse on January 20th, 2012, 1:16 am

Well on the up side playing children is possible. Oluse is 14 and nobody has stabbed or tried to eat him yet... wait... well nobody had succeeded at eating him yet anyway. So that can be done. Also, travel is the most dangerous part of Miza so it makes a great plot drive, so good pick there.

Skepticisms. You're right in thinking she would need protection. In no city in Mizahar would an orphan survive without a segregate family, and especially not in that region. Whatever is keeping her safe and fed (food isn't easy to acquire, and even harder to hold onto) isn't just "semi-protective" it's full protective or she is dead. Keep all this in mind when deciding what situation she starts off in.
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Coriander on January 20th, 2012, 1:37 am

Thank you for the input :)

When I say semi-protective, what I mean is the more unsavory 'I keep you alive on a whim and because you are of use to me' rather than the 'I love you so much you poor thing I must save you from the world' kind. A relationship that's equally as negative and stressful as it is beneficial and sanctifying (the way I imagine most relationships in these darker cities to be) and which will probably be her driving force to 'escape' the city.

I'm totally aware that having a young orphan PC will be difficult to pull off, but I'm stuck on this idea of childlike naivety growing into understanding of the world, for better or for worse. I also know travel in Mizahar is formidable, but that's what makes it tantalizing. I am prepared and I want so much to do things realistically, in the most ungodmodly way possible, so I have no qualms about appropriate tradgedy befalling my character in the future. It's all part of the fun.
Coriander
Imperfections Aside

Words: 14476
Joined roleplay: January 19th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets