[The Silver Beacon] Lessons on Laviku (Laudus)

Narris teaches Laudus a little about his deity, and shows him where to find the best kelp on the Denvali shoreline.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Paragon on January 27th, 2012, 7:44 am

Narris paused as the Nuit covered his face once again "Fine... it's fine. It's your face to hide, friend."

As they left the lighthouse, Narris pulled the door shut with a sharp tug, locking it with the large bronze key in his pocket. It always took a little effort to shut this warped door.

As he pocketed the key with a smile, he stared down the coastline. There was a brisk winter wind coming in, bitter, racing across the ocean from Zeltiva no doubt. Those Zeltivans, he thought miserably, always sending their bad weather our way.

"It's a little walk, but not too far. If you want the best kelp, it will be worth it."

Narris set off again, leaving shallow footprints in the sand. The waves were crashing in besides them, rolling up, and then losing steam as they dissipated further up the beach.

He soon found Laudus walking beside him, and he broke the companionable silence with a question. "So what brings you to Denval?"
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laudus on January 30th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Laudus doubted if he would've changed his mind even if Narris had wished he would keep his hood down. It wasn't like anybody would try to kill him. But a nuit was a different story. Labels were bad things, and nuits often earned bad ones. People believed that all nuits looked at them as if he was considering him for his next body. Plus the black tongue didn't really help the situation. It really just made him scarier. Not that people should be scared by a frail man.

After Narris slammed the door behind him and locked it, he walked down the strait of land connecting them to mainland, and Laudus followed. Narris mentioned that it was quite a walk but their destination had the best kelp. Laudus didn't mind; it wasn't like he was in a rush, with a certain amount of time to accomplish this task. But for the most part, they walked in silence, until Narris threw a question at him. Why did he come to Denval?

Laudus pondered this a moment, his body's forehead creasing to give him more wrinkles than usual. It wasn't a difficult question, but something he didn't expect. But he answered with much pause. "After over five hundred years in Sahova, I needed a change of location. And I wanted a quiet place to do what I wished to do. Although when you think about it, Denval probably wasn't the best choice. Not because it is loud, but because if a few people learned about who I was, the whole settlement would learn shortly afterwards."

Laudus paused, and glanced at Narris. A burning question had just appeared in his mind, and he needed to ask it. "What are the Denvali's take on nuit?" Narris seemed like the best person to ask this question, seeing that he didn't try to kill him when he learned of what he was. But how would other citizens react? From what Narris knew, only Captain Astrid and Narris knew, and they were fine. But there were still hundreds around here, and all of them couldn't possibly tolerate nuits. Could they?

How cut off from the world has Denval been?
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Words: 32542
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2012, 7:24 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on January 30th, 2012, 11:40 pm

"When I was younger," Narris began, "I dreamt of travelling to Syliras. I wanted to see a real city, but I ended up staying here. Village life is odd - you acknowledge that yourself. Gossip spreads like wildfire, but still... there is nowhere else on Mizahar that shares the community spirit of Denval."

Narris had his eye on a cluster of boulders, jutting out into the water. Rockpools had formed in between the cracks, becoming a haven for crabs and various aquatic plants. It was here that the kelp could be found.

"You will find the Denvali patient, and tolerant. Yes, there are traditionalists, and they may never accept you, but they are few and far between. Most will accept you, I think. You are certainly not the first Nuit to come to Denval. We were so isolated, yet ever since Kenabelle turned up here in her ship, we became a kind of sanctuary for wanderers."

He had been there that day, he thought with a smile. Faint memories tugged at him. He had been young, excited. But hadn't everyone felt like that? Kenabelle Wright had arrived from Zeltiva, with word of the outside world. Mizahar had not been totally destroyed by the Valterrian. There were others. Few, and spaced out, but they were alive too. Everyone was adapting to the chaotic aftermath of the cataclysm.

"Here," he motioned to Laudus, "in those rockpools closest to the sea. That's where the good stuff is."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Laudus on February 2nd, 2012, 12:32 am

If Laudus had a sense of humor he probably would'be chuckled at Narris' words. This village had community spirit because most of the population was probably related to each other; odds are incest occured some time during the course of time since the Valterrian. But Laudus merely listened and packed that knowledge away for later. At the moment, none of it was important. But he never knew when it would be.

Eventually both men came upon a cluster of boulders near the ocean. It seemed this was the place where Laudus would find his kelp. He couldn't see any visible signs of kelp, but he assumed there was a body of water he could not see from his current position where the kelp was. But before he was to collect his plants, he considered what Narris said next.

Patient and tolerant was something Laudus can enjoy. Patience was something Laudus learned like the back of their hand. Although the statement about traditionalists that bothered him. He understood that not everyone would accept him. His worry was about which people in Denval were these traditionalists and what position in society did they hold. He could handle if regular citizens, but what if they were the head of the government. What if they were the militia commander? At the moment, Laudus was safe, so he moved onto the next piece of information.

During his studying up on Denval, he had read about the expedition that Kenabelle Wright went on, eventually discovering this village. From first glance, Narris looked old, but he was there when the woman arrived. How old was he? Not that age mattered, but even the age of a lighthouse keep was something Laudus wish to know. A scholar wished to learn everything. But most times they wished to learn the more important things. And Laudus had something important he wished to know.

Narris told Laudus the kelp was in the rockpools, and Laudus nodded. But he wasn't just going to walk over there just yet. He wished to know one thing. "Narris, what power did you use on me back at the lighthouse? I've experienced magic before, but never that before?" Laudus paused, his hooded head turning towards the man. He needed to know. He wanted to know.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on February 3rd, 2012, 12:28 pm

Narris smiled, despite being slightly taken aback by the question. He pulled up his left sleeve, showing a small vortex like marking on his flesh. "Gnosis," he said slowly... "of Priskil, our most radiant Goddess."

He pondered on letting Laudus in on how it worked, and then softened, deciding there was no harm in explaining it. It was no secret that Narris was so marked by several God's.

"It is known as Luminance - a swirling light that removes all fear and anxiety from those that come under its sway. A most brilliant effect, don't you think?"

He walked slowly towards the rockpools, climbing over the boulders with care. He smiled, hands planted on his hips, as he gazed down at the small pool in front of him. A cluster of kelp awaited him, more vivid than much of the kelp along the shore. It was a brilliant green, flecked with an almost golden hue.

"Here... this is the best stuff," Narris announced proudly.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Laudus on February 4th, 2012, 12:30 am

Most mages were often secretive, not wanting others to know who and what they were. But instead of a sigh or anger from being questioned. But Narris did neither. Instead the elderly human smiled, eager to inform Laudus of his knowledge. And after Narris did say his magic, Laudus lost any surprise. The man had used the powers of his gnosis from Priskil. He wasn't some secretive mage but an avid follower of his goddess. If the shrine in the lighthouse didn't have the bust of a male, the nuit would've thought it would be for the goddess. But it wasn't, which made Laudus wonder which god was more important to Narris even though Priskil had taken the time to mark him?

And what did this mark really do? Narris had rolled his sleeve up, showing off the vortex like mark on his forearm. If only Laudus had more need for the gods. They meant little when he was on Sahova as even some of the gods did not like Nuits. But now Laudus wished he knew more. But what he did not know, which was much, was revealed when Narris explained what his gnosis did. Luminance was its name and it took away the fear and anxiety of all who are basked in the light.

Was it truly brilliant? While the effect of it was a good one, like anything else, it could be exploited. What an officer can use to wipe away his soldier's fear on the battlefield could also be used by an old man to learn the true identity of a hooded man who only wished to be left as an unknown variable. What if Narris hated Nuits, and Laudus died because of this gift? But Laudus, not a biased person, also looked it as more than just normal magic. Only those that Priskil felt deserved it earned the mark, so unless the goddess' judgement was off, she wouldn't pick bad people to bear her mark. Would she? "I feel that while Priskil's mark is put to good use, than its effects will be brilliant." Hopefully that was a good enough answer as they headed over to the rockpool.

Narris climbed slowly over the boulders, and Laudus followed. He too climbed cautiously, not because he was old, but because he was afraid to injure his current body. Who knew when another corpse came along for him to jump into? Plus he had never had to climb befor in Sahova; Golems always brought him what he asked for, letting him spend all his time indoors. But this was not Denval, and he needed to learn that he was fending for himself now.

Narris stated that this was where the best stuff was located, and Laudus nodded. "I would like to thank you, Master Narris, for showing me everything today. Tomorrow I shall return and collect my kelp, as I was not prepared to do so today. You've been a great help." While he was at it, he might as well ask the other question that has been on his mind. "May I ask who the shrine was dedicated to back at the lighthouse, because I know it was not to Priskil."

Wasn't it great to have humans doing things for you while telling you everything you desired to know?
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on February 6th, 2012, 8:56 pm

"Oh... Priskil's very name speaks of brilliance," Narris said, pride brimming in his voice.

He looked into the rockpools, watching a small crab scuttle besides the water, creating little ripples as it moved.

"That is quite alright," Narris responded, "I would never turn down an opportunity to help our Captain. Astrid is an extraordinary woman. Since the Valterrian, Denval has never been as strong as it has now."

For a moment, he pondered on how old Laudus was. Nuits were ancient beings. He knew little about them, only of their seemingly endless lives. Curious beings, he thought wonderingly.

"Priskil holds my heart. Laviku... Laviku holds my soul. He is the God of the seas, and the oceans. Bringer of tides, waves, and holder of half our world. Have you ever pondered on how much of Mizahar is covered by the ocean?"
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Laudus on February 6th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Pride radiated off of Narris as he spoke of his goddess, and of the Captain. Laudus wondered if all humans were like this, beaming over a simple thank you and discussion over their favorite god or goddess. He didn't really care; as long as they provided Laudus with what he needed, they were good enough for him. And as long as they didn't attempt to kill him.

Laudus felt a little pride in himself when Narris' answer to his question proved his assumption right. So it was the god of the sea that this Narris worshipped. It made sense with his ocean-theme in the lighthouse. Plus, who would spend all of his days in the lighthouse, ocean surrounding you, and not love it. Laudus was no fan of it, which was why he lived on dry land.

But Narris brought up a good point that got Laudus thinking. How much of Mizahar was covered by the ocean. It was a substantial amount, all that it covered possibly hid from view knowledge unknown by many. Treasure was most likely at the bottom of the ocean, but Laudus cared more for the knowledge that could be hidden. It surely got Laudus interested. So interested that he had to give his opinion on the topic.

"I had never considered how much of the world was covered in ocean. And what lays beyond the ocean? Does it stretch on to the end of times? Does it end? What lays where we have never went?" Laudus glanced out at sea. If he would to sail away, what would he find out there? He would probably have to ask Laviku if he ever wished to learn that answer. But with his interest caught, odds are he would attempt to uncover the answer.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on February 7th, 2012, 10:26 am

Narris smiled at the man's enthusiasm. An ancient being, still taken by the curiosity of the ages.

"For that, you would have to ask Kennabelle Wright. It's a shame she has now passed from this world. Her crew were the first to circumnavigate our world, appearing before us when we thought we were alone."

He looked out to the ocean, dark blue horizons hinting at distant lands and cultures.

"Denval was alone for so long, cut off from anything else. I think... I think we're changing though. Not that that's a bad thing. We have to adapt for the future, I suppose."

Narris found it slightly bewildering - teaching a nuit who had probably walked this world much longer than himself.

"I think you've learned a lot today, have you not?"

Narris turned, to begin walking back up the shore, but there was a grunt behind him, and he turned to find Laudus on the floor. He had seemingly stumbled on the rock, and now the water pulled him faster than Narris could run.

The tide was strong. Before long, the nuit would be washed away in that endless ocean.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Laudus on February 9th, 2012, 12:09 am

Just because Laudus was old did not mean he wished to be ignorant. In fact, he wished to learn more as he got older. To those born in the last century, life hasn't changed. They way they lived has always been the same for them. But Laudus has lived since before the Valterrian, and he has experienced a lot of change in his life. And with change came new ways of how life was lived, and Laudus wished to learn these new ways. Eventually he wished to retire to himself, but until he got tired of learning, he would always be around the places where knowledge could be learned.

Narris mentioned that he would need to ask Wright about a first-hand experience at this sailing. Laudus glanced at the man once, and then pointed out to the ocean. "What about all the ocean that Wright didn't not sail through. One glance where my finger is pointing and you can tell there is so much more out there. It might just be ocean, but odds are there is something out there that Wright never learned of. Odds are only your Laviku will know what to expect. But given a chance, I would like to know too. What lies beyond Mizahar?" It was a good question, and something Laudus could answer. If he knew how to sail. If he had a boat. If he had the inititaive to go out on the ocean so quickly after just arriving. That voyage would just have to wait.

Laudus listened to Narris repeat his thoughts of adaptation and change, not commenting on it. The nuit was sure this settlement didn't change much since the Valterrian. If hey had survived that hell-raiser, odds are some of their the pre-Valterrian customs did so too. Even though he had lived in Suvan before he became who he was, he didn't remember much. And he was sure these people didn't know, or didn't care. The Suvan traditions were merely things they did everyday, so were they really a different culture to them, lost after cataclysm? He would learn the truth, but that was for another day.

Narris asked if he had learned a lot, and Laudus replied, "You can never learn too much. But today was full with knowledge I enjoyed learning." And with that, the two elderly men turned to head back up the shore. Of course Laudus just had to be the one to trip, and stumble backwards. He let a grunt, but no other noise other than a splash was heard. Of course the nuit didn't have just sand to land on, but the waves. Another wave crashed overtop the man, and he slid across the damp sand. His robes were already soaked, the hood off of his head to reveal his appearance. It was almost humorous to some to see an undead flopping in the tide as the water dragged him out to see. Some would, not Laudus. He merely wondered one thing.

What fish eat corpses?
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext