Brawling for Idiots (Alea)

A Berserker teaches a young girl how to fight

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 3rd, 2012, 8:05 am

46th of Winter, 511

Still clutched in the cold of winter Banir gave a light shiver. Shuffling through the light snowfall at his feet his metal guarded boots clunked slightly. His winter coat holding well against the midday chill, its dirty green colour a reminiscent of the green lands far away from Avanthal. With metal clattering with each heavy footfall he gave he was brought to pause. Turning with his hood up and his scarf hiding most of his face his deep red eyes examined what was before him. Standing strong was an impressive sculpture in progress of a polar bear raging from the ice and stone. Admiration poured upon him as he stared at the as he saw the skill put into the amazing artwork. It was only half finished but it was beautiful to him as he saw it glimmer in almost perfectly crafted ice and stone. Mixing together seamlessly like they where never separate to begin with. Though he mostly broke what was in his grasp he yearned to create something so wonderful. And almost summoned by his wish an image of a woman appeared in his mind. She beckoned to be brought into this world but he wasn't ready, not yet at least. In a defeated sigh he turned and continued his private tour through the serene landscape littered with artists and their work. The Sculptor's Yard was almost intimidating to him, even frightening as he felt he would bring disaster upon the artwork.

In that moment something rang at the back of his head, something warning him of impending trouble. Looking around once he saw nothing unusual and shrugged it off as the cold playing evil tricks on his mind. Walking along and observing the wonderful works of art he was lost in silent wonder. Every time he set his eyes upon a new work of art he felt his heart flutter slightly. He didn't really like the feeling but it was an interesting feeling. Though as the cold bit at him, something rang at the back of his head again. Ignoring it again he thought his imagination was merely playing with him. Feeling off set by this nagging feeling he hurriedly walked down. After a while he saw no one following he sat down on a bench thinking he had become paranoid.

That is when he was proven aptly wrong, he couldn't help but think that Lhex was laughing at him. Though he most likely deserved it as he saw a very failure figure running at him. Already Banir felt pain spreading through his mind as a flush of worried questions ran through his mind. Was she going to press him for information again? What was her most recent death wish this time? Was she going to make him do something he didn't want to do? More thoughts similar to these infested in his mind. What had started out as a nice quite day of peaceful strolling, was taking a turn for the worst.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Words: 218834
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2011, 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on February 3rd, 2012, 8:28 am

Alea was tired of not feeling confident in her abilities. Yesterday she had stood face to face with the one person she wanted to defeat more than anybody, but she had hesitated to confront him directly ever since he beat her a season ago. Well, she was sick of it. She would learn how to fight, and she knew just the person to teach her.

She had spent most of the morning trying to hunt Banir down. She finally traced him to the sculpture garden, but had a hard time pinpointing his location. Many of the Vantha did not speak Common, or at least not well enough to understand her Denvali accent. She tried gesturing and speaking the few word of Vani she knew. "Big. Man." Then a hand shading her eyes to imply searching. She found a few people who had seen him, but it seemed that by the time she found the place they described, he had already moved on.

When she finally caught sight of him on a bench, she put on a triumphant grin and sprinted towards him. "Banir Banir Banir!" she cried excitedly. "Teach me to fight!" She grabbed a hold of his unarmored hand and began trying to tug him up. She was as excited as a small child in a store that sold sweets.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 3rd, 2012, 9:10 am

Stunned and astounded where two words that describe Banir's emotions at the moment he heard her say 'teach me to fight.' It was like getting a complement, while at the same time tempting fate. And while Alea tried pulling him to his feet, a bit of pity fell on her. Slowly he rose to his feet letting her 'lift' him from his seat. Looking down at her like she was a few rocks short of a quarry. Taking his hand from her he looked around her face, he checked to see if anything was wrong with her. Finding nothing he blinked and shook his head. Opening his mouth beneath his scarf he spoke, a light grunt hidden in his first handful of words.

"Alea, why in the name of the gods, do you want to learn to fight. I am not, the best teacher, and it may be dangerous." That was all he said, his slow sentences actually riddled with concern. He was much larger, faster and all around more dangerous than Alea. And that was excluding he fact he could lose his temper and- no. He didn't want to start thinking such things. If this day was to be salvaged as a good day he'd have to try and think better thoughts. Quickly the thought of a nice long bath, his favorite foods, and watching the sculptors at work. His mood improved quickly and beneath his white scarf he actually smiled a little. Though this quickly disappeared as he realized he'd allowed himself to drift off once again.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on February 3rd, 2012, 9:40 am

Alea gave a skeptical roll of her eyes. "You're only dangerous when you get angry, and you mostly only get angry when I ask you stuff. And the best teacher is someone I can't possibly beat, because then I'll learn the fastest, right? Come on!" Having successfully gotten Banir out of the bench, she proceeded to drag him to the nearest relatively clear and secluded area she could find. She didn't want people to see them and think they were actually hurting each other and try to stop them, and if she thought about it, she supposed they shouldn't be somewhere where their antics might damage something.

Alea was bouncing up and down in excitement. She hadn't had this much fun since...since...huh. Maybe she'd NEVER had this much fun. Back in Denval, everything was either work or study, and any time she'd had fun, she'd pretty much always been alone. She could never get the hang of the ind of fighting they taught in Denval; she found it too boring. There were so many rules, and it took ages before you were allowed to actually hit anything. But she'd seen Banir fight, and he didn't seem to fight by any kind of rules, he just attacked things. Alea wanted to just attack things.

She turned to face Banir, grinning expectantly. Nobody else had ever wanted to fight her the way she wanted to fight. Banir was the first person to show even partial willingness to play, and that was enough to begin filling that small, lonely hole in her heart.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 3rd, 2012, 9:00 pm

With a heavy sigh he had an immeasurable feeling that told him this would be a bad idea. Deciding to pass onto her what he already knew he prepared his words. Shifting uncomfortably in the snow at the idea of actually teaching Alea how to physically harm someone. Slowly he turned to look at her his red eyes sizing her up. His gruff voice cut into the air as a small mist.

"The style of fighting I do is called brawling, you learn by doing. I learned the best and only way you can learn. By fighting. A tip though, anything goes and everything is your weapon." Aggression brewing in his voice as he prepared. Slowly he set into a stance, his fists balled and ready. It wasn't the best stance but it prevented him from opening up his body He wasn't even sure if he was going to go easy on her or not. But he would show restraint. At least this time he would, Alea had caused him a lot of trouble. But she was still rather young and he felt it would be wrong of him to seriously harm her. But this didn't mean he wasn't going to put her on her rear a few time.

His left arm raised and ready, his right clawed hand twitching and ready. Waiting for her reaction he didn't want to move until she could ready herself. In a real fight there would be no hesitation, but she wanted to learn. And she needed to recognize a fighting stance.
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on February 6th, 2012, 7:38 am

Alea grinned when Banir said "anything goes." This was going to be even more fun than she had imagined. Seeing him raise his arms, she realized that he was getting ready for a hands-on demonstration. Watching other people fight had always bored her, but this was going to be actual practice. Whether Banir meant it to be or not.

She wasn't sure what Banir's lesson plan was for this training, but she wasn't particularly interested in finding out. Feeling more playful than anything, she charged at him, attempting to tackle him to the ground, but the result was closer to a hug-attack. Digging her heels into the snow-covered ground, she tried with all her might to push the massive man over. Banir didn't budge an inch. She considered trying other tactics, but she couldn't help wondering what Banir's reaction to a hug-tackle would be.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

Seeing her come at him, he knew it was a mistake and a big one. You should never rush a larger opponent. If he charged at a Jamoura it would be suicide. But he let it happen, it felt weird having someone touch him like Alea did. He had never really been hugged before so it was more awkward than anything. When Alea finally finished attempting to move him he put one of the pointed claws to her neck. Lightly dragging it around to the back. Speaking in a more serious tone he said.

"You just died, I could have done something similar when you charged at me. Like cut your face up or slit your throat. Think, its not smart to rush a bigger person without a plan." Reaching down he picked Alea up with both hands. Eyeing a rather large snow bank he tossed her into it. Getting back down into his stance he waited for her to get up, hoping the cold would teach her a light lesson. Raising his fists once more he waited, in his mind he began to formulate his own plan.'If she charges again I'll kick snow in her face then hold her head with my left hand. But if she tries aiming for the opening on my left leg I'll let her have it. Then I'll throw her into the snow again.' With his thoughts collected he steeled himself for her counter attack.

His hefty armour on his right arm felt weightless as the adrenaline ran through him. Heart pounding, anxiety, steady breathing. Banir was afraid and exited. Something he rarely experienced, but felt some enjoyment to it. Afraid he might harm Alea or what harm she might do, while he was exited to teach her. Without the distraction of talking and thinking Banir was focused on the fight. Muscles tensed and ready to react, waiting for the next move.
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on February 6th, 2012, 8:32 am

Alea was a bit shocked at first. She hadn't really been playing seriously; she wasn't stupid enough to charge Banir for REAL. But then she realized that she was glad Banir was taking this seriously. She wasn't used to thinking about life and death situations, but this was the best way to start. She trusted Banir not to hurt her, which meant she had time to make ALL the mistakes. She would be able to exercise her creativity and cleverness without fear. And perhaps, this training would save her life some day.

When he lifted her up, she cried out in indignation, and tried to struggle, though she was in no position to be able to do anything. Landing in the snow bank only annoyed her. Only her Gilding was allowed to do that! Getting back up, with fury and focus now on her face, she ran a careful eye over Banir. Shyke just got serious.

She ran through her options in her head. She didn't like starting fights from a distance; it meant you couldn't get close enough to your opponent to do anything before they got their guard up. Charging him again would be boring and pointless, unless she could think of a cleverer way to do it. She couldn't. Come on, think Alea, THINK! What was she good at? What could she use to her advantage?

She was good at hiding, which was useless here. She'd deliberately chosen a wide open area, which meant no cover. (She made a mental note to practice fighting in a place with more trees next time.) The snow bank he'd thrown her into was too big to just run around behind. So hiding was no good. Charging was no good. If only there were some way to hit him from a distance...

Almost wanting to hit herself at her own stupidity, Alea knelt down in the snow and made a snowball. She hurled it at Banir, cringing when it missed its mark by several feet. But that didn't necessarily matter. The point was to get a reaction out of Banir. She did not want to have to be the one to close the distance. Not wanting to waste any time, she continued throwing snowballs at Banir until his actions forced her to try something else.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on February 7th, 2012, 12:52 am

At first he was utterly confused. Alea was scraping snow together on the ground. Slowly his guard lowered wondering what in the name of the gods was she doing. When she sprung up in an attempt to hit him with the ball of snow his defenses went back up. The next several missed but one got him in the head. As he stood there unimpressed he wondered how Alea would deal with a charge of a larger person. Wiping of the cold white snow from the top of his hood he began to run.

Each footfall was as thunderous as the last, his fur lined and armoured boots crushing the snow beneath them. Quick and simple thoughts ran into his mind. 'Doesn't move, tackle her to the ground. Moves left or right, aim for the gut if in reach. Dashes left or right, pivot on foot and go for tackle'

His thoughts where collected and ready as the distance between the two closed rapidly. A few short breaths and Banir would be putting her into the ground. He hoped she knew her options for once he had her in reaching distance then she would be 'dead' once again. This whole charge he was doing was really him throwing Alea a bone. Throwing snowballs wouldn't ever really tempt someone to charge. But he didn't really know how to make them, or throw them. Besides that, he liked the idea of tackling her to the ground. A little pain might help her realize that there are consequences to actions.
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alea Davenport on February 7th, 2012, 1:19 am

Alea almost grinned when Banir charged her, but she didn't have time. This was her chance; she'd wanted Banir to close the distance so she could make her move, and now it was time to see if she was as clever as she thought she was. Though, she had to time it right. If he realized what she was doing, he'd be able to stop. She waited about a second, enough time for Banir to cover about half of the short distance between them. Then, she knelt to the ground while twisting herself sideways, trying to create a barrier for him to trip over.

Alea seemed to be a fan of the all-or-nothing gambles. If this worked, she might be in a better position to climb on top of him and try to pin him down, but if it failed, she was pretty much at Banir's mercy.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next