Eagle Eyes? More like Bat Eyes! (Solo)

Learning Archery

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Eagle Eyes? More like Bat Eyes! (Solo)

Postby Krisian Temak on February 12th, 2012, 3:09 am

Winter, Day 5, 511 AV;

I am awoken by a noise that I haven't heard in a long time. The noise was sounded like a battalion walking through the snow. I wasn't sure what to do. If they had found me, they'd probably attack and kill me. Damn. Why is there troops out here? I took my clothes off completely and hung my mother’s ring on the wall of the den. In a flash of light, I was no longer in my human form. Slowly, I crept up to the edge of my den and took a look around outside. The sun was just starting to rise over the horizon which brought in a beautiful soft light. The wind had not started to howl and gust through the air quite yet but it was still frigid. I wonder where they went.

Looking at the ground, I found footprints. The problem is, I couldn't tell how many of them there were, so I was not about to follow too closely behind. I couldn't risk being attacked by a group. However, I needed to eat anyways, so why not go in that direction. I slowly started on my way, following the footsteps in a path that was similar but not right on it. My pace began to quicken. I was anxious to eat and to see why it sounded like troops walking through my part of the woods at this time in the morning.

I look around to see if I can see anything or anyone. All I see is a buck with an pointed piece of wood in its leg panting for air and a human lying on the ground in a puddle of blood. Well, at least I got breakfast. I wonder what happened. I start to walk towards the buck that was in a lot of pain. I figured I could help out by taking his pain away. I began a sprint and lunged and the bucks neck, striking dead on and biting through its neck, ripping a piece of it straight out. Thank you for providing me with substance for the morning, buck. I spoke quietly in case any more of those humans were lying around.

After ripping meat of the buck and eating it for what seemed to be only minutes, I jaunted over to the dead human on the ground. He was holding something. I was a piece of wood, that was curved, that had a tight string attached. I had never seen something like this. I had to go to the city. I had to figure out what it was. It was obviously powerful enough to stop a full grown buck with one of those pointy projectiles. I wonder if this would help with my hunt. I mean, I can get a better vantage point and attack at a distance. Right? I picked the wooden weapon in my mouth and carried it back to my den quickly. I didn't know how many of them are out there but I sure didn't want to find out.

As I returned to my den, I knew what I had to do. I needed to take my money and this strange wooden weapon and walk into town. I needed to find out what it was and how to use it. I dropped the foreign object onto the ground and in a flash of white light I changed into my human form. I love that feeling. I turn around and pick up my clothes. I pull my underwear and pants on before sitting down. I pull on my bra and clasp it behind my back before putting my shirt on. I picked up the wooden object and held it in my hands. I can’t wait to figure out this thing. I’m sure it won’t be too hard to learn. I slide my feet into my boots and get up. I know I need to get a move on. I put my arm through the opening between the string and the curved wood and rested it on my shoulder. Standing up, I placed my money in my pocket, grabbed my cloak, and I set out.

It’s gotten slightly colder since I was last out. I threw my cloak over my shoulders and put it on, tying the front closed. The sun has come up but it’s getting cloudy. Smells like snow, but then again, when has that been a surprise up here? I begin my short, but needed quest to the city, walking briskly to try and avoid the incoming storm. As I walk, I look around to see if any animals were around and to my surprise, there weren’t many. Usually before a storm all the wildlife is running around to get a quick meal.

After walking for about three miles I finally got to the gates of Avanthal. Thankfully I’m finally here.[b] I walk through the gates and the city streets were bustling with activity. People were trading goods, running about buying everything and anything they think the need for the oncoming blizzard. A little bit down the road, I spot a building with a sign hanging from the outside that looked a lot like that wooden object I found earlier. That HAS to be the place. I push the door open and to my surprise, the entire first floor was full of those pointy things and the curved wood things. Noticing my concern, a person walked up to me and asked if I needed any help. [b]Yes actually. I cannot seem to figure out what this is.

Why, that is a bow. You use it at a distance with one of those arrows. He completely confused me.

Can you show me how to use this… bow and arrow? I am willing to pay you for your troubles. Which was completely true. I could spend a day or two in the city learning on how to use a bow and arrow.

Sure, I can teach you but not today. What I can do for you is give you a book to read about it and you can come back tomorrow and I will help you. I smiled a pretty big smile and looked him in the eyes. He backed up and looked frightened. His voice came down to a whisper. You’re a…a…a… Kelvic?

Shit, he saw my eyes and my teeth. Yes, yes I am a Kelvic. So anyway, come back here tomorrow and you will help me? I just want to learn how to use this bow thing.

Sure! But here take this book, and you might want to give me that bow. We don’t want the troops thinking you kill one of their own. However, what I can do is sell you a shortbow and a quiver of arrows. If you are to learn, that is the best bow to start with. It’s a cheap price too; only thirty-one gold mizas. The book you can have for free. That seemed fair enough to me. I handed him the guards bow and reached into my pocket and pulled out fifty gold mizas and counted out the thirty-one he asked for. We walked over to the counter and we exchanged the money for the book, bow and arrows. I slung the quiver over my head on one shoulder and the bow on the other. I left my bag back at the den so I had to carry the book.

Thank you so much. I will come by tomorrow morning, if that’s okay with you, and I will start reading tonight. I was over joyed. He just nodded his head and smiled. I walked to the entrance and left quietly. It was snowing, hard. There was no way I was going to be able to make it to the den tonight. I had to find a place to stay. I looked both left and right and decided to take a right and continue walking to see if I could find a place to sleep. A few blocks up the street, there was a tavern. I figured it was a good place to start.

Walking in, the first thing I could smell was over cooked meat, stale ale, and the stench of sweat; but I needed a place to stay. I walked up to the bar and asked if there was a room for the night. The bartender nodded and said it would cost three gold mizas and another two for a meal. At this point, I didn’t care. I just wanted to start reading. I took out five mizas and paid the man before sitting down at a nearby table.

My food arrived within a few long agonizing minutes and I proceeded to eat as carefully as possible to make sure no one else saw my teeth today. After I was finished, I picked up my book, stood up, and proceeded upstairs to the room the bartender had let me rent. I took the key and opened the door and to my surprise it wasn’t a bad place after all. There was a nice size bed, a table with a few chairs, and a small lavatory. So worth the money. I took the bow off of my back and rested it against the corner of the wall. The arrows I decided to hang up on the doorknob. I took the seat out and sat myself in it. I just had to crack this book. It was called simply The art of archery. I opened the book and began reading.
In my eyes, you should be with me. In your eyes, I should be dead
Krisian Temak
The White Wolf

Words: 5628
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2012, 5:22 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet