A Craving for Coffee (Coltyn)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Druvan on March 14th, 2012, 12:17 am

Timestamp: 6th of Spring

The destruction of the storm was still apparent as Druvan walked along the canals in the noble district. Bits of colored wood floated in the water and several of the shops had taken a beating. Even the rich had not been immune to the devastation that had been inflicted less than a week ago. There was a feeling of fear that had permeated the city. The air seemed a little damper and a little colder. A sense of unrest after the storm still lingered in Druvan’s mind, but despite the atmosphere, she looked forward to the afternoon.

It was cold, it was wet, and coffee was calling.

The noble district was not as crowded and the thinned populace made it unfamiliarly open. It was risky enough to steal from a noble in a crowd, but it was unlikely she would dare now, even if the rewards could be worth it. Regardless, that was not what had brought her here. She did not usually frequent the area, it was not quite her crowd, but from time to time a craving for coffee called her here. It was expensive, but it was worth it.

She lacked the excessive finery of the rich, but not the manners and not enough money that a cup of coffee was too much of an indulgence. It was expensive, but it cheered her up and she expected it to quell the cold that still lingered over the city.

As she approached the Studio of Yae Varone, smells and sounds poured out of the building. She opened the door and was greeted by a barrage of livelihood and warmth. The café smelled of sweet cinnamon and bitter coffee and superiority.

Druvan set three gold mizas on the counter.

“One cup of coffee, please,” The woman behind the counter nodded and disappeared.

While she waited for her drink, she leaned against the counter and looked around the room. The café was not crammed, but many of those there spilled out onto the patio. Druvan felt slightly out of place, but she was not here for them. She was here for the coffee.

The woman reappeared with a freshly brewed cup. Across the room, a lone corner beckoned to Druvan and she praised Rhysol for her good fortune. She felt better with a wall against her back. As she weaved her way through the tables she cradled the cup in her hand, letting her hands soak up the heat. She breathed in the steam and settled down with her thoughts and her coffee.
Druvan
Player

Words: 4636
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Coltyn on March 15th, 2012, 2:45 am

Coltyn's eyes snapped to attention the moment the girl entered the shop.

What do we have here? he wondered as he set his cup of coffee on the table before him.

Upon first glance, he could easily tell she didn't belong here. No. Not at all. Her clothing was a bit too plain and even the styling of her hair gave her away as either middle or, perhaps, lower class, which was not the clientele the establishment was looking to cater to. Not in the least.

Although...

He continued to watch her as she cut a purposeful path across the room, ordered a coffee from Yae's assistant, Wylodor, paid the fee without hesitation, and then made her way to a comfortable spot at the back of the room, not too far from where he was sitting.

Hmm.

On second thought, as far as he was concerned, she could stay. There was no begging, or haggling, or drama. She was able to pay her way and she was currently keeping to herself. Yep. She could stay.

"She has to go," an all too familiar voice informed Coltyn from just over his right shoulder.

Turning, his eyes locked with those of his direct report, Zinto.

"Why? She's done nothing wrong," Coltyn rebuked, in a near whisper, as his gaze returned to the girl.

"She knows all too well that she doesn't belong here. Not to mention, she's asking for trouble. Look at the way she's sitting with her back against the wall. Mark my words, she's itching for some action. Deal with her or I will. Either way, her visit is gonna be brief. Feel me, babe?

"Leave her to me," Coltyn simply replied as he stood, picked up his cup, and made his way toward her.

This is not going to go well. I can feel it.

"Hello, uh, is this seat taken?" Coltyn inquired as he now stood at her table, pretending to be a patron, motioning to the empty chair across from her. "It tends to get pretty busy in here, just about now, and I'd much rather share a table with someone who reminds me of my sister, than someone who, well, doesn't," he finished with a bright smile.

Coltyn
A Beautiful Baker Boy!

Words: 89551
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2012, 9:47 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)
Donor (1)

Postby Druvan on March 16th, 2012, 12:03 am

Her brief solitude was soon broken by a young man.

From her corner she saw the young man cross the room. When he reached her table and stopped she internally cursed. She was not in the mood. He wanted something, they always wanted something. He was probably upset that she had tainted the air of snobbery that suffocated the cafe. She had been expecting this. It was the nature of these kinds of places.

"Hello, uh, is this seat taken?" It tends to get pretty busy in here, just about now, and I'd much rather share a table with someone who reminds me of my sister, than someone who, well, doesn't," he finished with a bright smile.

There were still plenty of chairs, and the smile was, well, a bit over the top. He was not badly dressed, but the way he spoke and carried himself lacked the arrogance that many of the upper class could not shake. She doubted anyone here would want to sit with her, much less ask, if there were any other option. She looked into her coffee, she had hoped to enjoy it at a leisurely pace, but it appeared that would not be the way of things.

“Your sister?” she grinned, mildly amused. “That is one of the stranger things I have heard from a man who desired my company. But sit down for a moment, perhaps if Rhysol is feeling kind today you will give me the chance to finish my coffee, though kindness from him seems to be a rarity of late”.
Druvan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Coltyn on March 20th, 2012, 3:02 pm

"It does appear that way," Coltyn replied as he lifted his mug and took a sip. "That storm was...interesting...to say the least," he added before taking a second, much longer sip, all the while keeping his eyes on Zinto who was hovering.

"So, what brings you to Yae's...," he then questioned as he returned his gaze to his table companion, "...besides the excellent coffee?" he finished as he placed his near empty mug on the table between them and proceeded to stretch out his legs. "I mean, don't get me wrong, the coffee is usually enough of a reason, but, what with the weather and the state of the city, more than a few of the locals have been spooked into hiding."

Coltyn paused now, giving the girl time to answer, and as he did his eyes casually swept the room. It was starting to fill up, yet - as if to support his last statement - not to the degree it usually did. Sure, the tables would be full soon enough and there would be a handful of patrons lingering on the patio outside, but normally there would be a constant line out the door.

In a way, Coltyn was thankful for the promise of a slow day. It would give him the time he needed to learn more about the girl sitting across from him. Also, if things got heated - which he wasn't really expecting, but he would be a fool to rule out the possibility - there would be less of a crowd to see the scene. Yae had a reputation to uphold and it was his duty to ensure that it remained in tact.

Coltyn
A Beautiful Baker Boy!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Druvan on March 27th, 2012, 2:02 am

Druvan’s eyes flickered to the deeply displeased looking dwarf that lingered in the background.

“I think I like this better actually. The slowness. And for being scared, I think everywhere is equally safe, that is to say that nowhere is. If Rhysol wants me dead, groveling at home, pretending to be safe won’t do me any good. I would prefer to live a little while there is still the chance”.

She sipped her coffee and gauged his response. She was slightly peeved at the disturbance, but it was also nice to let some of her thoughts spill out. After the storm something had shifted, not just in the city, but in the way she acted. Things stopped feeling real.

“I could have worn the appropriate costume,” that was not a complete lie, she could have, if she possessed anything higher than the caliber of what she was wearing, but she had never need anything more. “Do I belong? No. Why? Why would I want to?”

She knew she was paranoid. He had not said anything to indicate that he was going to kick her out, but it was to be expected when you did not wear the costume. The torrent of imagined insults she inflicted on herself could be a form of mental torture, but often the paranoia had at least some shards of truth in it.

“I left my fancy feathers at home today and now I do not fit in with all the other preening birds. I am the only one without a mask and yet I am the most suspected. What are you worried I will do? I am not asking for trouble, no. I am certainly not asking, but trouble looks all the same and if it finds me, well…it seems to be sitting across from me at the moment.”

As she went on she had become increasingly annoyed. It was nothing he had said, but her presumptions, true or not, garnered her contempt.
Druvan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Coltyn on March 30th, 2012, 2:31 am

Coltyn just sat and listened to the young girl go on. He figured the less he said, the more she would reveal about her true self and her intentions. But then she took the conversation in a whole new direction, which pretty much called him out and put him on the spot.

"Who said anything about trouble?" he calmly replied as he made every effort to maintain his identity as an undercover guard of the establishment. "I think you're dressed just right," he informed her with a smile as he motioned to his own rather casual gear. "You don't often see this much leather in a place like this...now do you?"

Tilting his seat back, he then proceeded to snap his fingers, calling upon the nearest server to fetch them two fresh cups of coffee.

"They're on me," he informed the server, which ended up being a rather perturbed looking Zinto. "Do you still think I'm trouble?" he questioned the girl now as he returned his full attention to her. "I mean, sure, I can get my hands dirty from time to time, but I try to do it in a way that keeps me in the clear...if you know what I mean," he added with a wink and yet another smile.

There was a moment of silence now, which they both appeared to enjoy in their own way. But then the moment was shattered as Zinto returned with Coltyn's order and nearly threw the scalding coffee at the young man.

"Anything else?" the server barked.

"Uh, no, I believe that'll be all for now," Coltyn replied as he waved the red-faced man away. "Times really must be tough if that's the sort of service this place is now offering," he added loud enough for Zinto to hear as he stormed off. "So, how long have you been in Ravok?" he questioned the young girl before bringing his cup of coffee to his lips so that he could cool it down by gently blowing across the smooth, dark surface.

Coltyn
A Beautiful Baker Boy!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)