Not having much luck deciding on a starting city

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Crystos on March 21st, 2012, 5:22 am

Hey I'm doing a wolf Kelvic and I was wondering if someone could help me with choosing a city to start in? Please
hey, i wont be able to come on miz much at all over the summer. i have no access to wifi unless i go to a cafe with it, and i can't go on miz on grandmas comp (moms rules, not lack of comp abilities). so yeah sorry about that.
Crystos
Player

Words: 8460
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2012, 12:01 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Tallis on March 21st, 2012, 5:39 am

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've seen and read the cities list. So what is it that you want for your character?

And might I suggest looking through each city to see how active it is?

Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Crystos on March 21st, 2012, 5:47 am

"so what is it you want for your character"
That's the annoying bit i have ideas on some of the cities but i can't decide on one
hey, i wont be able to come on miz much at all over the summer. i have no access to wifi unless i go to a cafe with it, and i can't go on miz on grandmas comp (moms rules, not lack of comp abilities). so yeah sorry about that.
Crystos
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tallis on March 21st, 2012, 5:58 am

My suggestion, and probably the first suggestion you'll get from anyone else, is that you should finish your character sheet first. Decide on a city to start from once you've created a personality, fleshed out a history, and chosen some skills and abilities. You'll definitely gain a better idea of where you're going to take Crystos.

Without a character sheet, all anybody really knows about you is that you're a wolf-kelvic. And really, you could go anywhere from there.

Might I suggest looking here and fully reading and understanding before doing anything else?

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Crystos on March 21st, 2012, 6:26 am

I'll give you a pretty condensed version of it
Basically he is a nice guy but he's stubborn. He will try to help people when he can. He has a sense Of right and wrong and slavery definitely goes into the wrong section. He's not the brightest person but he's not stupid either. Also the usual part of kelvics being more submissive to the bonded 'master' doesn't apply so much to him.

For history I'll need the starting town to prevent contradictions and the lot
Crystos
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tallis on March 21st, 2012, 6:49 am

The wiki says that kelvics are mostly found in the Taldera and Kalea region. It also states that kelvics are a wandering race, so it's of no consequence if you start roleplaying in a city that isn't the one your character was born in.

The personality you showed me is still rather sparse. I see some of his wolf-like traits showing through in his human thinking, but wolves don't generally try to help people when they can.

Hopefully this helps with the creation of your character sheet. If you still feel lost after that, try coming up with some plotnotes. They might help you decide where to take Chrystos by giving him a few short-term goals and a few long-term goals.

P.S.Mizahar is not your traditional fantasy site and has so many different races for a reason. If you're creating a Twilight-esque Werewolf, you may face heavy bias in the future.
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on March 21st, 2012, 1:17 pm

An additional note, Kelvics are ALWAYS submissive to their masters. There is no exception. Now, as a wolf he could be proud and unwilling to submit to anyone else, but if he DOES bond he WILL be submissive to that master. It is clearly stated in the race page and there are no exceptions.

Keep in mind that you are an ANIMAL and as such are not capable of higher thinking outside of minimal logic that comes after you have bonded, NOT BEFORE. Be sure to read up on your animal very carefully and learn their habits, their traits/personalities as well as their usual behavior. Always keep in mind how simple Kelvics are, based entirely on instinct until they come to be bonded with their master. After that some of their master's intelligence may pass over and the Kelvic can THEN begin to be more "human".

Hope that helps :)
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crystos on March 21st, 2012, 1:27 pm

Yes that does help but I never saw anywhere that said that kelvics gain the higher thinking after bonding. And I realized that I won't like the wolf to much, now I'm going for corsac fox at least until I find some info that would push me away.
Crystos
Player

Character sheet

Postby Indigo on March 21st, 2012, 4:20 pm

The Corsac Fox only lives for 3 to 12 years. They live best in deserted areas and are very solitary. This might be a problem for future Roleplay and interactions. Just something more to consider in your Kelvic choice. ;)

...Please keep in mind that you must make a character sheet before you do ANY roleplaying posts in any city.
Indigo
As you wish (no1 gets princess bride quotes)

Words: 84986
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Crystos on March 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm

It turned out that it was a lack of info on behavior that pushed me away from that so I am actually going to do a red fox. Or maby i should do fennec. That doesn't really extend life much really though
Ps about the corsac being solitary well I couldn't find that anywhere... Many I'm looking up the wrong words...
Crystos
Player

Character sheet

Next