The Great Dog Escape (Izra)

Susta escapes the life of a slave, with the help of a feline friend.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Susta on May 5th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Spring Day 45, 512 AV

I winced as she was pulled outback a small bar. I had been on a wagon for- the gods know - trapped in a cage. And I still was, only this time got to breathe fresh air away from the other animals.

I remembered being spiked with something, by some human. I remembered grieving for Wizer's death. But nothing more. But here I was, in this cage, my paws being very irritated by the holes in the cage floor.

I lay there, sighing. The people who kidnapped me probably were going to make me a slave again. Yes, now I remember more. My parents were slaves, but were carried away from me at early age. Wizer, kind as he was, took me in. But pasts don't matter anymore. What matters now is what I will do about my enslavement.

I was alone, cage sitting on the ground, waiting for the people to come back out of the bar and hoist my crate away, back to the life of a slave. I sighed as I realized more and more there was no way out of this. My life was going to be full of misery.
Susta
Corgi Queen

Words: 6163
Joined roleplay: May 4th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Izra on May 5th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Izra shifted her pack on her back a little, looking down at the animal from a nearby rooftop. She had been exploring the city, running to and fro across its rooftops, enjoying the freedom of movement and the lack of prying eyes, and soon found herself spying an odd crate. She had never seen its like before; full of holes, yet not seeming dilapidated at all. To her surprise, closer examination revealed a small animal inside. A dog, no less!

Despite her dislike of dogs(her parents called it fear...She was not afraid of some mutt!), she still felt sorry for it. Why is he in that crate? she thought curiously, Naras would never have done that to us... Izra felt a small flame of indignation; what kind of master would do this to his pet? She shrugged, half-turning to leave the thing to its fate, but she paused, for in those few moments, she'd come to pity the little dog.

Once more at the edge of the building, Izra looked down at the alley below with dismay. There was no way she could get down in her human form. Even without the encumbrance of her clothing and her pack, the drop would be painful, to say the least. She noted that the bar across the alley had a considerably lower rooftop, and realized that this could be an easy way down. It would be a stretch, however. The jump across the alley would be a challenge she was not sure she could accomplish. It would be fun to try, though.

Izra took a deep breath to steady herself as she stepped away from the edge. Once she was a few feet from the steep fall down to the alley, she sprinted forward, jumping off the rooftop at the last moment and soaring through the air. For an instant, Izra was sure she would fall to the alley below. Time seemed to slow for her and she squeezed her eyes shut, wishing dearly for a safe landing. Only as she felt the anticipated bar roof did she realize her mistake. One should always keep their eyes open when landing.

As the pain seared through her left leg, she cried out as quietly as she could, falling heavily onto all fours. After a few moments, she forced herself to move her leg. It moved, albeit painfully. She had always heard that a broken limb couldn't be moved, now she hoped desperately that her parents were right. Izra slowly tried to regain her footing as the pain began to recede.
Izra
Player

Words: 14919
Joined roleplay: May 2nd, 2012, 5:47 pm
Character sheet

Postby Susta on May 5th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I remained silent, listening to the birds chirp and the distant clatter of hooves against tile. It was peaceful, or could be. If it weren't for the gnawing feeling of depression in my stomach, or being locked in captivity, everything would be alright. My almost peace was interrupted though by a girl flying through the air, and down to the ground.

Her leg seemed to crush. Break. It raised my alarm, so, by instinct, I started barking repeatedly. It was a silly laugh, high-pitched and loud. I growled and snarled, attempting to look as threatening as possible. Being a pup though, that was hard. The girl seemed in pain, and I couldn't help but snicker. Serves her right, for trying to jump off a high building.

I felt very scared inside. This girl, was practically alien. The few people I had known all my life were people who wanted to abuse me, punish me, or in some form leave me. But this girl was neither of those. She was normal. Someone who, most likely, didn't want to hurt me.

Most likely.

I settled down a bit, my barking receding but my growls still there. I didn't know it, but, my hackles were raised also.
Susta
Corgi Queen

Character sheet

Postby Izra on May 5th, 2012, 9:39 pm

After a few painful attempts at standing, Izra became aware of a barking sound. In annoyance, she realized that it was the dog in the crate, "I'm doing this for you, stupid dog..." She muttered under her breath, not knowing that the canine was a Kelvic and could understand what she said. Once more breathing in to steady herself, she finally managed to haul herself upright, though she stood lightly on her left leg. Good; it wasn't broken. It would certainly hurt for a while, though.

Izra slowly limped over to the crate and bent down to look for some sort of way to open it, though she felt a constant nagging feeling that this was a bad idea. It was a dog! Why should she even bother with this? She paid little mind to the dog's barking and posturing. Though an instinctive thrill of fear ran through her, Izra realized that she was much larger than this pup and could easily send it flying with a solid kick, if need be.

"Don't worry..." She said as she continued to inspect the crate, "You'll be out of there in no time..." She said in an attempt to soothe the dog's barking, lest it draw attention from the street. A woman alone in an alley is a very tempting target to some people, she'd noticed. "I can't believe someone would do this..." She rambles to herself, tracing the edges of the crate with a finger, trying to find the right way to open it.
Izra
Player

Character sheet

Postby Susta on May 5th, 2012, 10:58 pm

oocIt's no problem. :) Next time, try adding how she opens the lock, and if she actually does. Just a thought.

I took note that the girl was very stupid. She had to fiddle with the lock, she couldn't even open it. Did she realize that you simply slide the bar over? My eyes flickered with annoyance. I would open it, if it weren't for my pup form and being on the inside of the cage.

But, she was trying to help me. So, I will give her some time.

The girl rambled on about something, but I wasn't listening to a single word. Instead, I thought of what I would do with her once I got out. Be nice, probably. But if she was mean, things would get really bad really fast.

Wait, they couldn't. I am weak. I am no fighter, I am a herder. A proud one at that. Once I get out of this bastard cage, I will befriend this girl. It's the least I can do.
Susta
Corgi Queen

Character sheet

Postby Izra on May 5th, 2012, 11:15 pm

OOCAll right. Sorry about that, I just didn't know if it were locked or not. If you have any other suggestions, I'd welcome them.

Izra scowled at the lock for a few more moments before discovering that the bar was, in fact, mobile. Though she had not slid it out all the way yet, she grinned, delighted that she had made progress, "There!" She proclaimed proudly to herself before wincing and quickly lowering her voice. What if someone heard? I'm such an idiot... she thought as she slid the bar to the edge, effectively opening the crate. She pulled the side down, flinching as it made a loud clattering sound. Izra immediately jumped back as she remembered that the thing inside was a dog, "Umm...there. You're free." She made a few nonthreatening gestures as her heart began to pound in her chest.

How had she been so stupid? Would this dog attack her? Instinctive fear ran rampant through her. Izra would have turned tail and run immediately, had the throbbing in her leg not been a constant reminder that she would not get far without a nice rest. To go anywhere, she would need to shift to her cat form, since she did not trust the Ravokians not to take advantage of her wounded state. Already, she had seen more than enough suffering in this city, and Izra had no intention of taking her share of it.
Izra
Player

Character sheet

Postby Susta on May 5th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Little did I know, my pupils shrunk amazingly small as I leaped out. The sensation.... the- oh forget it, I'm free! I leaped on top of the girl, not making eye contact. Standing on her chest, I howled. Like, a wolf howl. Really loud. This was the next step in my journey, mine, and no body else's. I can do whatever I want, I am free. Freedom.

Apparently, my howl was loud enough for the man to hear. He came stumbling out the back door of the bar, beer in one hand and a muzzle in the other. His eyes were groggy up until the point he saw me out of the cage. With a loud grumble of anger, both of his hands released the muzzle and beer, the beer landing with a SMASH!

Eyes filled with terror, I jumped of the girl and started running down the alley, not stopping for anything. I looked behind me to see if the girl followed.
Susta
Corgi Queen

Character sheet

Postby Izra on May 5th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Izra let out a scream of terror as the dog leaped onto her, all thought fleeing as her mind was consumed with the knowledge that a dog was on top of her. For a few seconds--seconds that felt like an eternity--this was all she could focus on. Just as suddenly, the pressure on her chest vanished. Confused, though relieved, by this, Izra sat up. The fall had jarred her leg badly, and it now hurt almost as much as when she had originally injured it. Before she could dwell on the pain, Izra heard the loud crash of breaking glass, and snapped her head towards it.

There stood a rather large man with a small pile of wet glass beside him, presumably the thing that had caused the sound. Immediately, Izra scrambled to her feet, though she quickly fell down again and realized that she would not be getting up again. Not as a human, anyway. She shoved her hand into her backpack desperately, pulling out her semi-sharp eating knife. Though she'd had little use for it on the trip to Ravok, it came in handy now. Izra brandished it at the man, clearly intending to use it. Unfortunately, she had never so much as attempted to fight in her life, and had no idea at all how to use a knife. Besides this, Izra was sitting on the ground, one of the worst places to be in any sort of combat.

I am so stupid! She berated herself in her head for perhaps the third time since spying the dog. If she had not climbed down to help that thing, she would be completely fine. Maybe resting in a nice alleyway, all snuggled up in her clothes. Izra could likely shift any time she wanted, as she had purposely chosen loose clothing to allow for the change, though she was loath to lose her pack and ruin her clothes. She would have little to no chance of surviving in the city as a cat, since the living was hard, and life would only be harder as a human. No money, no clothes, and no food, she would soon starve, and she knew it, so Izra stood(or sat) her ground for the time being.
Izra
Player

Character sheet

Postby Susta on May 6th, 2012, 6:01 pm

I realized that if I, if we, were going to escape alive it would take bravery, courage, and a hell of a lot of fighting. I sighed, and with a deep breath charged right towards the crippled girl and the man. I rammed myself into his foot, but my small size was definitely a disadvantage.

The bald man scooped me up off the ground with one hand, but I wasn't going to go without a fight. I bared my teeth, and with a flash of pearly whites, the man dropped me, leaving me to fall to my doom. I fortunately landed on four legs, but they ached and left my knees hurting. So much for being safe. My attention turned back to the man. He screamed, and ran back into the bar like the chicken he was.

I huffed a breath of pride. I had actually hurt someone! To think that 5 minutes ago I was a helpless slave. But now, I am free, and strong! My stump of a tail started wagging, and I turned to the girl. She continued to lay on the floor, and I for the first time, felt pity for her. I walked over, and curled up in a ball next to her, breathing slowly. If it worked, she would calm down hopefully.
Susta
Corgi Queen

Character sheet

Postby Izra on May 6th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Izra watched the exchange between the dog and the man with shock. Such a little thing attacking someone so much bigger than it was a completely alien concept to Izra. It was completely able to escape cleanly, yet it came back. Most dogs that size would run away, and Izra would know about that. She had great fun forcing little stray dogs to run away from her in Syliras. After a few feeble attempts at standing and running while the man was occupied, Izra simply lay on the floor and continued observing. She would need to rest and allow the pain to subside for a bit before she could walk. In a partial haze of pain, Izra closed her eyes to block it out.

When the man screamed, her eyes quickly snapped open again, only to see the dog falling to the ground and the man running away as fast as he could. Izra watched, dumbfounded. How had that even happened? Whatever happened, it was more than welcome, though she knew it was only a temporary respite. The man would probably return to do whatever it was he planned with that muzzle. She had to move, and quickly. As the dog moved to sit beside her, she forced down her fear of it, as she had just seen it likely save her from a severe beating, at the very least.

After a chime or two of resting, she slowly stumbled to her feet, barely able to tolerate the harsh pain in her sprained leg. She leaned heavily against the wall for support as she retreated further from the bar and closer to the crowded street. Despite her distrust of the Ravokians, she knew there was no choice. It was either risk being robbed or certainly face the man's retribution. He had looked very angry...
Izra
Player

Character sheet

Next