[Glass Gull] - Into their cups - [Syrah - Open]

In which new friendships and a good many vintages are explored

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Ishara Dossari on May 15th, 2012, 11:55 pm

58th Day of Spring, Year 512 AV

The gentle swell and recede of lapping waves lulled Ishara as she chose the path that seemed to indicate it would bring her closer to the shore. She found it difficult to escape the wonder of the sea...the vast plain of water could hold her in it's sway for hours as she peered across the expansive and undulating horizon. Almost all of her evening walks wound up dumping her out on a beach at some time or another. Tonight, as the last of the sun's rays were sucked beneath the edge of the world beneath a blanket of gold and crimson, Ishara found herself watching the night fall over a pleasant little harbor...

The tinkling of glasses and laughter brought her eyes around, pegging a waterside structure as the source. Lanterns bobbed over the outside courtyard, casting pools of pale light over the people milling below, and another peal of laughter rippled out over the water as Ishara heard a loud *pop!*

A celebration? A party? Curiosity captured the best of her, and propelled her forward for an investigation. Raj ducked after her like a pale shadow as they made their way to the building's entrance. Murmured voices rose and fell between the choruses of a slurred ballad, and yet more laughter rose to greet the curtain of stars drawn overhead. The sign by the door was illuminated by another string of lanterns...

'Glass Gull'

It was like a Tavern, and yet...not. The people seemed to be present for occasions that required finer wear, and those seated within lacked the wrung out look sported by the sort who'd retired to their cups after a long day's work. It smelled different, too...and Ishara tipped her head back and drew in a deep breath with half-closed eyes. Fruity, and warm, and almost velvet...

Wine. You're smelling the wine. She blinked, her eyes rising to once again go over the building's title and structure. She'd heard of this place in passing. It was a very popular spot to take a glass of wine...and was rumored to have more than just a couple varieties. All made here in Riverfall, no doubt. A half smile snapped into place as she recalled her only experience with it...stealing a sip here and there of her father's while he was absorbed in his books. Eventually she'd been caught, of course! ...But, the laughter in her father's eyes denied that his heart was in it when he scolded her for such behavior. Ishara had borne it well, a mischievous tongue passing slowly over her lips to savor the strange, flowery flavor.

The memory faded, and Ishara absently noted having captured the top of her lip in a pull from her tongue. Fool... she reprimanded herself, when was the last time you could have even considered affording a cup of wine? Leaning to one side a bit, she tried to casually peer through the entrance to map out the candle-lit interior...
"What creature is this which dances beneath my eye?
A desert-bred mortal who's beastial sinew and heart
Lay forged in the firey breath of Yahal's sigh!
Watch, as the soul surfs upon the wind and slowly breaks apart..."
Ishara Dossari
Player

Words: 78989
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2012, 3:21 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Syrah Steele on May 16th, 2012, 3:14 pm

She couldn't believe she was going to the Glass Gull, well that part was believable, she had been wanting to go since she go to Riverfall! The unbelievable part was who she was going with. She had originally wanted to go with Rykanis, he seemed more of the right match to go with, but everything always ended weird between them. So instead she got desperate and invited Lewis to go with her. She had convinced herself that Lewis could be fun to go with and maybe he would be funny if he got drunk. Now as she waited in front of the Glass Gull she mulled over her choice. She concluded that it wasn't a good one. But she had already made the reservation and she couldn't back out now. Maybe if she found someone else quick enough they could take Lewis's place.

Almost as if a God had blessed her she looked over and saw a girl peering through the entrance, trying to get a look inside. It was clear on her face that she wanted a taste but seemed as if she couldn't at the same time. Maybe she didn't make a reservation, she thought, or maybe she doesn't have enough money, the other part of her said. What she did agree on was that this girl seemed nice enough and maybe she would like a drink?

Syrah knew she couldn't blow off Lewis now. If she did he would be so disappointing, and something deep inside her said that was mean and she couldn't do that, that she would feel bad afterwards. She frowned inwardly at herself, were had that come from? He was an annoying animal that pestered her, why should she even like him at all? Her mind drifted back to the bonding Daemon and Ryk had mentioned, she quickly shook it off, not wanting to think about that kind of commitment.

Maybe if she asked the girl to join them? She could make a friend and it wouldn't be as bad. Yeah she would do that, Syrah wasn't a shy person. So she walked up the girl and tried to catch her attention by tapping her shoulder.

"Hi there. um, I was wondering... A friend and I are going wine tasting, I'm waiting for him now. Would you like to join us... Maybe?" She smiled hopefully at the girl, hoping she would respond that way Syrah wished.
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele
My heart is cold but, so is the wine.

Words: 105282
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2012, 2:09 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dex on May 16th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Lewis was excited to go to this thing Syrah had invited him too, even if he had no idea what it was. She called it a whine topper .... something like that. He really had no idea they wanted to have a whine topper. Sounds like something where people try to one up each other with whines. Unsure of why this would be exciting, he'd been reassured it would be fine by Syrah.

She made mention of cleaning up and looking good. Personally, he thought he looked fine, especially with his shiny furry coat. However, they probably want a human, and not a good looking ferret. Eh, their problem. However, not wanting to disappoint Syrah, he promptly went a place he'd visited once or twice during his ferret-y excursions. He'd noticed the place only because of the funny smells in it, and saw various people splashing in the water and rubbing something that looked like a rock on themselves, and that was all they saw since they threw him out. The sign said that it was the best place for an all around clean. Must be a human thing. However, he promptly visited the place, and in exchange for a few of the Miza shinnies, he was allowed in and slowly and vaguely cleaned his human hide to standards.

After that he'd promptly changed to ferret and entered a house where he found new clothing similar to what he normally wore, a tan, thin shirt, but instead of denim pants, a lighter, black pair of pants, made of a material he didn't know. After dragging them out the open window he'd come in and changing into the new clothes, he heard the ring of the hourly bell, and realized he was suppose to meet Syrah at the place now. The place where the whine topper was going to be he'd memorized where it was, and made his way briskly there.

OCCNot there yet, just making my way through, so feel free to carry on.

Last edited by Dex on May 17th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex rarely has intentional thoughts
but Dex always has something to say

Names: John, Lewis
Dex
Lots of shiny things for me

Words: 91565
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ishara Dossari on May 17th, 2012, 1:23 am

Ishara nearly flinched as the woman's voice caught her off guard, sure as anything that she was about to be asked to leave. But, no...Instead, she was being invited inside. The corners of her mouth turned up at the invitation, and for the span of a heartbeat or two she merely stood there, blinking in surprise. Clearly, she'd been in the right place at the precisely right time.

"Thank you, I...well, yes, I'd love to," her faintly accented words preceded the flash of a bright smile. The stranger's unexpected kindness caused a warmth to bloom in the center of her chest. She'd never been to a...what had she called it? ...Ah, wine tasting. Her imagination conjured up some very likely possibilities for what the activity entailed, though. None of which were disagreeable.

"If you're sure I would not be intruding...?" the notching of a slender brow in the other woman's direction was Ishara's was of gauging the sincerity of her gesture of kindness, still reluctant to tread upon any toes. Raj seemed content with the scenario, taking his master's trading of words to mean that she intended to stay here with the other female. He slunk to a row of ornate benches lining a low wall, and crawled beneath one. A pale bundle of shapes in the shadows, his piercing amber eyes ever watchful...

Another ripple of laughter sealed the deal, along with the heady scent of sweet, fermented grapes rolling out the front doors. Ishara tossed another wistful glance within, and held out her hand with a wry grin, " my name is Ishara Dossari."
Ishara Dossari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on May 17th, 2012, 12:57 pm

He had made arrangements and wanted to surprise Ishara with them. Sure it may be a little early for a date like this. But honestly he didn’t think that she would decline him. After all she would likely love to have a cultural RIverfall experience. She was a curious woman by nature and indeed wanted to see the many sights of Riverfall, as did he. And what better way to see them then through the eyes of someone who was just as new to Riverfall as he was? He still loved to see her smile and look at astonishment at the sheer amount of water around the city.

He knew the reservations at the Glass Gull had been made for two, Ishara and him. However he knew there would indeed be others there; seemed a place like that was always busy in some way. But that didn’t matter to him, he wanted to get to know this woman because they were after all going to travel together for an extended period of time eventually. But he knew until they traveled that they had things they needed to learn in order to successfully make the journey alive and well.

He was going to find her hopefully at her camp…which he did not. But he did find clues, footprints leading away from her camp and toward the city. Seemed she wanted to head into town for some reason or another. The prints didn’t look too old and well he would hopefully be able to track her down before he lost her in the city. Because she would be nearly impossible to find there. Quickly he followed the footsteps in the sand down the coast, easy enough for him since the footfalls were very evident in the soft sand.

They eventually led him to a little harbor of sorts and he found where he believed a lithe desert flower had been sitting watching the night fall over the harbor. He believed it was her because the markings in the sand were to small to belong to an Akalak and to large to belong to a child. And being that he had followed the footprints here he assumed they belonged to Ishara. But after this the footprints faded…he had nothing to follow anymore. Which was exactly what he had feared would happen.

Emerald eyes scanned the ground for any signs…there were no footprints besides his and Raj’s in the area. Meaning no-one stole her away…which meant something likely pricked her curiosity. But what? He listened closely closing his eyes. He heard the rolling of the waves in the harbor licking the wooden piers gently, maybe a seagull or two calling in the distance. Then something else cut through to him. Glass…celebration. He opened his eyes and found the direction of the oddity. Could the fates really be this kind to him?

A sly smile stretched across his face as he should’ve known she would find herself here somehow. There was laughing, cheering, everything joyous really…he knew he picked the right place for an evening away. But was it really possible that somehow Ishara had been drawn to exactly the right place at exactly the right time? Stranger things had happened…much stranger things. Soon enough he would confirm what he believed.

He knew this was a place usually reserved for very formal occasions. But he still didn’t have any real formal clothing, just pure white unsoiled pants and a long sleeved shirt. There wasn’t anything special about them but they were bright white. He walked to the door and there was Ishara, making friends again. She tended to do that kind of thing when put in a situation.

“My name is Ishara Dossari” The words came from her lips as she introduced herself to the woman.

“Ishara, you do have a habit for being right where I need you.” He stated as he moved closer to Ishara and the woman whose name he still did not know.

“I am Serrif, I am glad to see someone is keeping Ishara company. If you ventured much further I wound never have found you.”
A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 18th, 2012, 1:52 am

Syrah could almost jump up and down when the girl, Ishara as she introduced herself, accepted her offer. Surely the Glass Gull could make a one person exception to the daughter of a famous vinter? She knew Lewis would be showing up any instant and Syrah would defiantly have to include Ishara in her plan if it would make Lewis clueless. But she had just put her hand in Isharas to shake when some guy just randomly popped up out of no where. It was clear he knew Ishara and that he was actually looking for her.

A ball of rage swelled up in Syrah, this guy was so not going to take her new friend away. She needed this girl to be able to endure a night of annoying hell! She quickly glared at the man when he began speaking and then looked away, composing her face as not to show Ishara her rudeness or give away her use-ment of the girl. the second the man stopped speaking she cut in, not letting Ishara answer him and not answering him herself. She needed to get this done before Lewis arrived.

"I so glad you can join me! Just as a warning a friend of mine is coming as well. He should be here any second, then we can all go inside and let the fun begin!." She smiled a bright, wide smile at the girl, "I always love meeting new people." Syrah almost laughed at herself. She practically hated other people and certainly didn't just invite them to dinner on a whim. This was serious business, the decision between life and death. Okay not life an death, but serious boredom and annoyance versus an okay night filled with wonderful wine.

She didn't answer the man but rather only gave him a sidelong glance before returning her smile onto Ishara. It almost seemed as if the two were about to get into a fight over the girl. That would be a sight wouldn't it?
"I would like to most graciously thank Ms. Steele for providing me with much needed deep and intellectual RP that goes beyond, 'Hey I don't like you let's fight.' So if you do read this Syrah thank you very much!'" - Desmus Marrudius
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dex on May 18th, 2012, 2:21 am

Lewis came into view of the Glass Gull. It had an interesting view design, somewhat different from the typical Riverfall construction. Must have been a new building from after the storm. Inside Lewis could smell ... wow, the smells were overwhelming. Between people and something with a fruity type of smell, it was almost intoxicating. And the fruity thing he had to try, especially since there were all sorts of fruit smells.

As he came towards the front of the Glass Gull, he saw Syrah standing there with Ishara and Serrif. Immediately pleased with their presence, he bounded forward next to Syrah and began his greetings, complete with hugs.

"Hey Syrah! Hi Serrif and Ishara. Where's Raj? Are you guys coming to the whine topper?"

Dex sniffed around a little, but couldn't pick up the hounds scent. Feeling slightly disappointed at that, he brightened up again with the knowledge that they were going to do something fun together.

Dex rarely has intentional thoughts
but Dex always has something to say

Names: John, Lewis
Dex
Lots of shiny things for me

Words: 91565
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ishara Dossari on May 18th, 2012, 3:57 am

Ishara's bewilderment at seeing Serriff --Serriff looking for her?--evaporated as Syrah cut in briskly, her bright eyes and enthusiastic smile demanding Ishara's primary attentions. Before she could utter a syllable, the woman was over the moon about Ishara agreeing to tag along for the evening...leaving Ishara on the verge of a hopeless shrug in Serriff's direction--

Which was brought up short by the Kelvic's unexpected appearence. This was too much. Really. She had to laugh as the Kelvic slung his arms about her in a hug, her pale eyes dancing as she looked him up and down. "I like your clothes!" she exclaimed, hasty to pay a compliment that would impress upon the little imp that he should definitely keep wearing them. Raj seemed to scent the little Kelvic, and uttered a soft bark of recognition from his spot beneath a bench. Crowds were just not his thing.

It was then it registered that her wine tasting companion was familiar with the young Kelvic. "Oh, you know him?" Ishara blinked at Syrah, a half-smile tugging on her lips...before it wavered. Seeing that the woman had no desire to make eye contact with Serriff, Ishara could almost feel the chilly fortifications of a wall forming. Uh oh. But what could she do? How was she going to get them to play nice?

And what exactly were they ruffling feathers over? Serriff seemed well dressed...and his manners were not at fault. Unless...they already knew one another? Her eyes bounced between the two, a puzzled frown forming. Unfamiliar with the way the social structures went around here, Ishara cautiously felt her way forward...

"Why, um...Well, since we're all here--that is...why don't we all go in?" She hesitated, before adding..."together."
Ishara Dossari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on May 18th, 2012, 2:44 pm

His mind was always thinking, always watching because you never knew what would happen what you could catch that others would miss. He didn’t mean to interrupt but with the way the blonde haired woman reacted it was almost like he was being incessantly rude. Her body didn’t lie, his sudden appearance irked her for some reason or another.

“I’ll join you if Ishara will.” This was a slight modification in his plans but he didn’t mind…or did he. He wanted to spend time with just her, but it seemed this woman had other plans. And in order of being civil he didn’t want to rip Ishara away, and he could use interesting talk with someone new. Maybe his offer would ease her spirits some.

It was about this time that a man showed up. The same man that had just appeared to Ishara that night at the camps. And he was just as jovial as he remembered, but most importantly he was wearing clothing! That would make the night far more pleasant than their last encounter together. This time he could forgo aiming an arrow at the man. Ah it would indeed be a civil night. Or he would try to keep it that way as best he could. Confrontation was definitely not his cup of tea. So he would tread lightly but with purpose and dignity.

“You.” He said accepting the Kelvics hug as he laughed a little. “Look at you all dressed up to the T.” He released the man and smiled, he did have a way of bringing the simpler things into focus. Like a child almost, it was refreshing in a way. So many people were so serious…so jaded it was nice every now and then to see someone who was relatively carefree.

“I agree Ishara, why don’t we all go in. I have reservations for us, and I would be happy to have you join us or us join you either way.”
Ishara hadn’t been informed of this ‘reservation’ but it was to be a surprise…although now it seemed like he was almost fighting this woman for Ishara’s attention. Comical really but maybe the woman just wanted company.
A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Syrah Steele on May 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm

One couldn't believe Syrah's immediate disappointment when Lewis showed up and seemed to be all goody-goody with both people there. In fact she was hoping the girl would think Lewis was annoying and maybe they would get along just fine, make her night an okay one. Her and a friend surrounded by wine with only one con of a annoying Kelvic by their side. Someone could almost see her face drop and her shoulders slump when Lewis started to embrace them all, including the man. Her hopeful mood changed to annoyance when Lewis clearly said the wine topper wrong. He just didn't know ANYTHING! Her annoyance turned to confusion, then back to annoyance when Lewis mentions a Raj, and then she heard a soft dog bark.

Well that's why she likes Lewis, Ishara is an animal person! Of course, the ONE time she actually needs a friend, she gets the exact opposite, now it will be Lewis and her as friends and her as the annoying outcast. Could this night get any worse?

Plus everyone just seemed to love to compliment Lewis on his clothes, did anyone compliment her? No, of course not, this seemed like the worst day of her life, well maybe she overreacting, she was just not happy, at all.

Be careful what you wish for right? because almost immediately afterwards Ishara proposed all of them going in together, including the man, then the man, Serrif, not only agreeing but announcing he had a reservation for Ishara and himself as well.

All Syrah really wanted to do right now is bang her head, very hard, against the wall of the Glass Gull until she woke up somewhere else, somewhere...safe. But she couldn't do that and she didn't want to not go to the Glass Gull, so she'll just have to bear the terribleness of everything. The man, maybe he was going to be her best friend tonight, even though he was stealing away her companion. Well she wasn't as great as Syrah thought she was going to be.

Syrah didn't feel like answering, she knew Dex would answer swiftly an positively in her absence.
Syrah Steele

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next