How do Kelvics speak?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

How do Kelvics speak?

Postby Rhy on May 17th, 2012, 5:20 am

So, I'm posting as a Kelvic dog. One of my RP partners says that speaking to an animal, while in animal form, with a wording you would see in a human conversation is wrong. and that all Kelvic "speaking" to another of its kind should be read exclusively through body language. Instead of the quick fix of translating body language and sound directly into conversation. I'll give you an example:

Rhy raises her hackles to appear even larger.

"That. Was. MINE!" she roars with as much force as she can muster. All of the frustration of her failed hunts bubbling to the surface and directed at the dog with a dead-mouth accuracy that would put a slaver to shame.

"All day! ALL DAY! Mine! Blind dog! Dumb pet! MINE!"

Or should it be:

The fish is scarfed with out ceremony and she wheels to face them. Most likely this is about territory. The dogs stop a few feet away and pace with what is clearly a dominant posture: shoulders up and head down, sweeping back and forth.

He has made claim to the pier without marking, and with a pack. A tricky venture to be sure. He is demanding, by his dominant posture, that Rhy roll over and submit her authority. Not likely.

She bares her teeth to the gums to give her answer.

People were starting to stare at the dogs as the dogs and the bitch stared each other down.

One is more natural, but the other gives a lot more insight you just can't get from body-language. And I found this in the Kelvic Lore thread: "canine Kelvics can speak the language of almost any canines they come across, openly communicating with them". What does that mean?
Rhy
Luvanor bitch Kelvic

Words: 133318
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2012, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

How do Kelvics speak?

Postby Gossamer on May 17th, 2012, 2:19 pm

The second way is correct. You can understand the body language of other animals and if you are a complex critter with a higher language like say a dolphin or a bird, you can actually translate that into speaking. Dogs, however, your stuck with just body language.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

How do Kelvics speak?

Postby Indigo on May 17th, 2012, 5:03 pm

"Hi!" she exclaims. Just because she looks like she's going to slowly crumble away and die does not mean she has to act the part. She gets a friendly gruff in return.
"You are with him aren't you?" She motions to the leather clad hip of Rath. "He is good. An alpha. It must be good to live here."

The Mastif gives the dog version of a confirmation nod, and sniffs around her face as way of imprinting her identity. Only humans need to name a dog. Dogs can tell others apart without the use of titles.
"They are good men. They lead a good pack. It is good here." He answers in way of explanation.

Examples such as the one taken above are not appropriate forms of communication between a dog Kelvic and a dog. Telepathy and mind reading would need Help Desk approval first and then added to an SS. May I recommend a bit of editing on your part to keep this rolling as a viable thread?

*Later edit* I've been remiss in helping you further so I offer a link to the ASPCA basic and very short guide to reading canine body postures Hopefully this will assist you in your roleplay. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Indigo
As you wish (no1 gets princess bride quotes)

Words: 84986
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm

How do Kelvics speak?

Postby Rhy on May 17th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Thank you both for clarifying, I really appreciate the help. And Indigo, that link you sent just made my life that much easier. :)

Rhy
Luvanor bitch Kelvic

Words: 133318
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2012, 4:24 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

How do Kelvics speak?

Postby Indigo on May 17th, 2012, 6:33 pm

You're welcome. Everyone in Riverfall knows I'm partial to Kelvics. ;)

Indigo
As you wish (no1 gets princess bride quotes)

Words: 84986
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2011, 10:46 pm