[Fianza's Office] Potential

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Trente on May 19th, 2012, 12:38 am

512 Spring 22

Trente questioned himself as the instruction upon his week's assignment delivered him to a door nowhere near the summoning labs, but a personal room within the dormitory building. A stern looking professor gave dubious expression to Trente, and the entirety as a whole as he moved swiftly by with a book in hand. Trente looked upon it, botany, a subject he had little interest in. He gave a short greeting of the after noon, but the professor just shook his head dismissively as he slipped past, through the roomy hallway, superior in size to the student's dorms. Trente was impressed by the top floor, it's views, it's multiple lounge areas outside of room, the sheer size of the hallways, and most impressively the few, well spaced doors leading into assuredly large accommodations. Truly being a professor at the college must be quite the experience. Trente had won his way into the old professor's dormitories, which thought a vast improvement over the student's quarters, still paled in comparison to those of the new level which had been expertly crafted onto the last.

Trente rapped firmly on the thick wooden door he had been instructed to, waiting no more than a few moments before murmurs resonated from the opposite of the thick barrier, then finally the sound of a hefty metal lock clanged, preparing the door to open.

Once it had, Trente gave an inquisitive look to his summoning professor. She was no doubt gorgeous, though with a demeanor no less stern than the dismissive professor in the hallway, Trente did not allow his mind to slip beyond that in which their professional relationship demanded. However peculiar it seemed when she commanded him into her personal quarters.

The meeting was to be formal, as formal as Miss Fianza could get. Any assumptions to the contrary were dismissed promptly by the layout of her room. From the door there was really no way of telling how far the full accommodations stretched. Luxurious and rich stretches of finely crafted foreign silk lay draped from the rafters above, reaching all the way to the carpeted floor before pooling and spilling elegantly into the visible portion of the room. Trente stood sincerely spellbound after the heavy door had been shut and sealed closed with the heavy metal lock yet again. The first portion of the room functioned as some sort of luxurious office area, draped for a god. A settee and two chairs stood smartly apulstered among the room, wearing vivid and excessively stuffed pillows as ornaments. A heavy desk, carved with claws of falcons and heads of lions stood proudly to one wall, barren of draped, but attractive no less. There sheened the two walls of draping, and slightly waving silk to two sides, and beautiful stone work and wooden walls to the opposite. The one looming above the the ornate desk held upon it a picture of an intimate grotto, within a deep low lit forest, where stood a lion, ripping almost elegantly into the carcase of a deer, the moonlit silver rays falling upon the scene, snugly slipped between branched. So uncouth, yet captivating in it's intimate manner. The room's appearance improved still, beyond the textures and shaped with the color, drenched thoroughly by the set of silver and gold candle stands, reaching almost to Trente's chest in height, yet still set firmly upon the floor, flickering feet away from any threatening flammables. Upon them rest thick and smooth candles, dyed a navy blue. The drapes defining half of the entrance area were green, as much as the forest within the painting. The floor wore a warm sandy brown, teetering on the edge of gold, and the walls themselves were adorned with a deep red and chalky stone, which Trente had seen nowhere else in the building. And, still, beyond this all rose from the area beyond sight a dim glow which gave forth, caressing the light silken walls an aroma, musky yet alluring.

Trente gave the slightest of exhaled, trying to find his centre in the new and quite literally exciting environment. With another command to sit, he crossed the accessible portion of the room with three steps, and lowered himself carefully upon the pillowed settee. All while Miss Fianza dissapeared through the corner of the drapes, emerging a moment later with a pure silver tray, strained ever so slightly by age. Even in such luxury not all could be new, or pristine, in all truth none in the room seemed new. Just as the ages spots of gold and purple touched upon the edged of the tray, so did they brush against the metal upon the standing candle sticks, and even, with a closer look, upon the very corner's of Miss Fianza's lips. Still, appeal was not lost on Trente, possibly the newest looking object, or person in the room. He felt a warmth in his cheeks at the thought.

Just then the tray was set upon the desk, and the contense came into view of the seated Trente, a matching silver pitcher, and thin silver cups. Fianze wasted no time and pouring some, clear silvery water spilled forth in a steam to fill the containers, small abstracts of candle light striking upon Fianza, and the further wall.

Her voice same through the absolute silence, in no way disrupting the feel of her room. Her domain. "Like some water?" The posed as a question, it appeared as more of an assertion as she turned, and delivered the cool metal into Trente's hand, which seemed to raise and accept it of it's own accord. "I have my meetings here because it's more comfortable. This is not a proposition, or something for you to exaggerate when speaking to your little friends." Her words were offensive to Trente, he would never claim such a thing. Still her just nodded, unsure what to make of her forward manner. "Your paper, I presume?" He held her hand out expectantly, her nails adorned with a dull blue, painted in a simple way upon each well groomed finger.

Trente was embarrassed he had forgotten his composure. He wanted to speak, though he seemed to need to exert more effort than usual to speak with any clarity, for a slight fear stuck in his heart that his voice might disenchant the rather pleasant air of the royal room. "Oh, yes, of course." His voice had no power over the room, which persisted with it's glory despite him. He delivered to her the paper which rest in his off hand. "I denoted not only the history of summoning in pre valterian Syliras, but also the current appreciation of the art, or lack there of, that the majority of the enforcement hold." Trente had grown up in Syliras, and knew well how the government regarded such practices. It was a dark subject, and he had hoped that playing on Fianza's sympathies for summoners in Syliras that he would win some extra favor in Fianza's eyes.

She listened, and gave the paper but a slight look before setting it aside, upon the desk, and reaching up around her neck, and pulling a foreign amulet off of her neck, and set it upon the paper. "Yes, Syliras is in quite a state, and I would witty any person born foolish enough to practice there, when fare to other cities is so cheap." She paused, and cast an decipherable glance at Trente, before turning as facing him. "Did you find this paper difficult to write, Mr. Ecletante?"

He had, thought this won't a truth he would overstate. "The topic and medium were challenging for me." A questioning, thought not confused look prompted him to continue. "My penmanship has never grown very strong in the past, and when I enrolled in this class I had never expected such a dependence on history, and sociology."

Fianza gave a singular slow nod, before handing her way to the elegantly apollstered chair closest to Trente, and setting herself down into it. She gave herself a long moment to think upon her words, before finally deliberating to share some of the truth with her student. "You are the only student who I gave this task to."

Trente knew this, having asked other students for help, and gaining none. "I know, Miss Fianza. The other students have already begun memorizing the glyph and symbol theories of summoning. Why is that? Why was I the only of five students to exclusively study the social implications of summoning?"

Fianza smiled, she was glad he was well informed, but the smile was still tempered by her second self. Slowly Suiembro read through the paper, reading it out loud to his master and partner as she sat silently. She was unpleased with many of Trente's assumptions, and perceptions. His only redeeming quality seemed to be his reluctance to take any firm moral stands on any subject. He was still moldable enough, and open minded enough, that he might have some potential.

"Because, Mr. Ecletante, you have shown an interest in politics. And, enough of one to broadcast your opinions about the city." Trent attempted to listen carefully as he took a sip of the warm water, pure and fresh. Water had be dwindling in the city, after the southern resivior was broken. It would be rebuilt in a matter of days, but take much longer to replenish. Till then most citizens traveled personally to the river to gather water. making the whole ordeal quite crowded and difficult. Needless to say, his attention slipped somewhat. She continued uninterrupted, "I wished to see what your political insights might have lended you on the subject of magic, specifically summoning. I see now that it gave you very little. This paper," she motioned offhandedly to the desk, several feet away from her, "is no more than a compilation of historical events, and passionless facts. You missed the entire point of the assignment. I asked you to reflect upon the social views of summoning across all of established Mizahar throughout all recorded history. Instead you give me this." She didn't sound angry, not more than usual, and so Trente reserved his aggressiveness, waiting for a question to come from the women.

Fianza gave pause a moment before finally saying, "Tell me what place summoning serves in society. Every other subject in this school can be easily attributed toward the building of society. What about summoning?"

Trente was genuinely stumped, holding his empty cup in hand. He couldn't think of a single use of summoning to benefit society, and so not wanting to postpone his answer unduly he honestly said, "There is no use. Summoning involved, directly, the communication, and transportation between our society and others. Though knowledge of the universe may be enhanced by the practice, I don't even believe one could argue that summoning is the best means of evolving ones own desires into reward. Certainly not through familiary, which is closely linked."

Fianza almost laughed, but she kept a stern face. She had still not decided what she thought of the man, but he certainly was decisive, and honest. Fianza enjoyed both quality in men. Still, she hungered for a better thought out response, before she could pass judgement on him. Possibly, with some preening, he would do to further her plans. But, only if he found a personal use for his experience. He certainly was cautious enough to go far, with the confidence enough to negotiate properly.

"Go, write a new paper, and make it about what the effects of summoning have upon society, both prevalterian and post. Feel free to write a paper on the basics of summoning theory as well. So not get lazy with either, this time. I don't appreciate anybody wasting my time."

Trente gave a disgruntled look, and rose. "Well sure we would not want that." His voice rung sheer with a sardonic nature, as he worked his way to the door. Unlocking it he pulled the door free, but before he stepped through Fianza spoke once more, as she rose to lock the door behind him.

"Oh, and Mr. Ecletante. Tell me, why are you in this class?"

Trente looked back at her, then her beautiful office again, before responding, eyes focused on hers. "Summoning is the most intriguing, and unappreciated magic I can think of. Though, a magic would not exist if there were no merits hidden within it. I will find these merits, and judge them myself."

Fianza smiled, and closed the door in his face. Yes, perhaps he could be used.
Trente
Player

Words: 244388
Joined roleplay: January 31st, 2012, 1:53 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Arcane on May 26th, 2012, 11:29 am

Rewards and Treasure!

Experience Points
+2 Observation
+1 Philosophy
+1 Interrogation

Lores
Cadena Anaya Fianza the Summoning Professor
University of Zeltiva: Cadena Anaya Fianza's Personal Quarters
Professor Fianza's Test of Character

Miscellaneous
None.

Comments
Observation is given for the exquisite descriptions and wonderful imagery. I can, in truth, imagine the scene pretty well thanks to that.

Unfortunately, there is little I can give in terms of rewards due to the limitation of the system, but I do applaud the intrigue in this thread, in terms of interactions and questions raised, and is a really excellent thread. If possible, I would really like to read Trente's homework (ie the essay given by Fianza) and her response to it.

PS: I am on Team Socialization-Is-Not-A-Skill, as it is more of a RPable trait than a Skill (not to mention it isn't in the skill list).

Arcane
Magic & Mechanics

Words: 117525
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Office
Plotnotes