[Flashback] Unexpected Initiation

Marcus undergoes initiation in his first step towards becoming a full-fledged wizard.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Marcus Dymez on May 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm

81st Day of Summer, 510 A.V.

Marcus strolled into class with a sense of uncontrollable excitement in his heart. His foot tapped rapidly against the stone floor. As he sat under the vaulted ceilings of the University, his imagination was running wild. This would be his first taste of true magic, and Marcus was anticipating things to be amazing. He snapped to attention when the professor stood sternly at the podium, his appearance typical of a professor of magic; His robe draped too far down, dragging along the floor wherever he walked, and his snow-white beard seemed to aid in propelling his voice throughout the room. There was one aspect of this scene that perplexed Marcus however, as he glanced around to his fellow students. Only one or two others were as visibly excited as he was, while the rest seemed to be solemn or even hesitant about their surroundings. Marcus knew he was missing something, but he hoped that his peers had simply no confidence in themselves, and that he could come ahead of the class. That is why when the professor called for any volunteers to be first for initiation, Marcus' arm speared upwards, his body following, with a professional expression across his face. He had no idea what he had just volunteered for, but he simply thought to himself, There's no backing down now, I suppose...

With a nod from the sagely instructor, Marcus walked down to the front of the room, and stood before the experienced wizard. Thankfully, for the sake of the class, he explained the process, his voice echoing around the stone room. This was more than welcome, the alternative being baring his ceremonial knife and beginning it without a word.

"Today is your initiation into the field of magic known as Reimancy. You learn how to manipulate the life-force of the world in ways that for most are imaginable. However, if this is your first course in wizardry, you will soon find that wizards achieve the impossible on a regular basis. Now, who can tell me what is the primary element of Reimancy?" Marcus knew little about this subject, and in fact, had only the basic grasps of what magic truly was. He knew of Djed, the energy that ran through every existence, and that the manipulation of it was the key to achieving impossible feats that people classified as magic. However, as Marcus was working out the answer in his head, a classmate who was more prepared for this subject had already spoken up, and the professor nodded contently before continuing with his lecture.

"That is correct. Reimancy is the art of manipulating Res, which you will today learn how to create and control. Res can be as thick as gel, or as thin as air, and in as much or as little quantity as required. But I must warn you of the dangers of such magic, and if you have not done so, I would suggest enrolling in the Safety of Wizardry class. Overgiving in Reimancy is far too common, primarily by novice magicians who overexert themselves with extravagant displays and castings. I cannot stress this enough; Res is a form of your Djed, and whenever you use Reimancy, you are using up a bit of your own life-energy. You must always be wary about casting in quick succession or in high amounts. Now then, as we have our first volunteer, let us begin the initiation." It was at that moment that the professor drew his ritual dagger, and beckoned for Marcus to draw closer with his solemn expression.

"I will now make a small in both of your palms, so that I may insert my own Res into your body. Once you have been injected with my Res, you may feel strange, but hold strong. This will seem foreign at first, but you must resist the urge to push back, and accept the presence of the Res. Once this is done, you should be able to sense your Djed more clearly, and craft your own Res. Are you ready?" Marcus was mentally panicked as he heard the explanation of what this initiation entailed, which is why he was even more surprised to hear the following words leave his own lips.

"Professor, would it be possible for you to extend the ritual further? I wish for the initiation to be as expedient as possible. If it's possible sir..." Marcus was actually slightly embarrassed at this request, but it had seemed to strike a chord with the professor, who was now grinning with a subtle laugh in throat.

"I see. A truly willing acolyte of the art. I suppose It is indeed possible, but I must warn you not to underestimate this experience. It has broken many men who could not handle the strain. Are you certain of your choice, my young student?" And with a confident nod from Marcus, the professor bid him to roll up the sleeves of his robes, and began to make the small cuts. Besides the palms, Marcus had dashing light cuts along the sides of his arms, and as he stood, his teeth grinding slowly against each-other like tectonic plates, the real initiation was about to begin. The professor slowly raised one hand above his student, palm down, and with a serene look of subtle focus, he began to produce and guide his res into the student's wounds. This took Marcus off-guard, who had expected the res to be more, visible, in nature. Marcus likened the sensation to having another soul crammed into his body without warning, and he immediately collapsed to his knees before the professor. However, when the professor began to hesitate and lean over to assist him, Marcus raised up a bloody palm in defiance. He glanced up to gaze at the professor, his eyes burning a bright green, as determination exuded from his glare. He said one word, his expression that of a man with nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

"Proceed."

The professor acknowledged, and perhaps even admired, his response, and continued with the process. Marcus fought viciously against the urge to scream as the Res fell into his body from all sides, and he sat with his eyes closed for many minutes, monitoring the progress of this foreign matter spreading throughout his body. However, when he finally felt the alien's retreat commencing, for a brief moment, he felt something akin to sorrow tinge his mind. He bid it not to leave him, begging in his mind, until he made the critical realization of this process. This was not his res; not his Djed. And deep down, he was comforted by the revelation that it could never truly leave him, as this was the building block of all things. With the last of the professor's res retrieved, Marcus let out a sigh of relief, and shakily stood before the professor, his determination to the subject reborn, and his voice reflecting the fatigue of the experience.

"Thank you sir." Marcus slowly walked back to his seat, as the next volunteer was selected, and as he sat down, the rest of the world fell out of his mind. He reflected on the feeling, and attempted to evoke it once more. He looked to his hand, the bleeding stopped, and concentrated on making something, anything come out. And by the end of class, when the slight tingling of a minute amount of ethereal gas was felt by the young student, Marcus gained the most ecstatic smile.

I'm a magician.

At the end of class, the professor would issue a set of exercises to practice concerning producing and controlling res. With that in mind, Marcus would go back to his dormitory, and completely forget about his next lecture. All he could think about was this magical piece of himself that was now under his control. He realized the most enthralling aspect of all of this was the fact that it was always his, and he simply needed to know how to reach out to it. He gained a renewed vigor in his studies that he would not soon lose, and from that point on, not a day would pass without him making some small flame in his room.
Marcus Dymez
Imagination is oft confused with Insanity.

Words: 134886
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Echelon on June 4th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Marc's Loot :
Marcus Dymez

Skill XP Reward
Reimancy +2XP

Lore:
Eager to Dive In
Idolizing a Master
Presence of Magic
Reimancy Initiation: Fire

Items or Consequences:
Minor wounds long since healed.

Notes: It's a shame it wasn't specified the nature of the initiation, that is was to be fire.

(Did I just read an initiation or a sex scene? In any case good job, and I enjoyed the read.) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook