[Wright Memorial Library] Magicians Meet (Canrehne, Marcus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Kaeson Dakano on June 4th, 2012, 6:38 pm

16th of Summer (Evening)

Kaeson smiled to himself as he made his way through Wright Memorial Library. The summer term had only recently started, and most students had really bothered to study outside their classes, leaving the library empty -- well, empty enough for Kaeson anyway. Ever since Kaeson had moved into the dorms, he had been desperately searching for a place, a sanctuary for himself and the library had proven perfect in that regard. Not only had was the library literally stacked with knowledge, books on any and all topics Kaeson could want, it also provided certain closed off spaces. Spaces that were perfect for practicing the arcane in private.

Turning a corner, Kaeson found himself deadended surrounded by bookshelfs on three sides. In center of the small space was a table large enough to fit four people comfortably or one person very well -- especially one person who planned on practicing reimancy.

Kaeson sat down, closed his eyes and focused on the res cursing through his body -- and after several minutes, Kaeson felt something expell from his hands. Opening his eyes Kaeson found a fist sized puff of golden smoke -- the golden smoke being his res. Focusing Kaeson turned the smoke to a solid to stone -- making a loud BANG noise -- he hoped it wouldn't attract too much attention.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Words: 120420
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Canrehne on June 4th, 2012, 7:59 pm

It was just an evening like any other. If Canrehne wasn't dancing, she'd be reading. And so, browsing through all the bookshelves, trying to pick up something at least remotely interesting, she heard a loud bang behind her.
She jumped up, but mainly because of the surprise. Why would such things happen in a library?! Canrehne turned around, staring at Kaeson.

"Really? Are you serious?!" Canrehne said loud enough to be taken seriously, looking at Kaeson. Her right hand was still on one of the shelves and for the first time, she was not wearing her ornate ritual headdress in public. Her eyes scanned over Kaeson, and then to his hands, she then shook her head. "Reimancers.." she sighed, standing there and simply staring at him.
Canrehne
The Ritualist

Words: 20714
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 10:24 pm
Character sheet

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 4th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Today was not a good day for this young scholar.

After nearly losing his coin-purse on the way to the University, as well as tearing a nice gash in one of his cotton under-shirts, Marcus felt an evil presence trailing him. Well, actually, Marcus imagined an evil presence trailing. Put plainly, his mood was quite sour, and he decided social interaction was not in the cards today. That being decided, this wizard strode out to the library seeking solace and peace in the grand shelves of knowledge that covered the walls, as well as created a few of their own. Marcus calmly glanced through the tomes at his disposal; the search a form of relaxation in it's own right. Finding one on the topic of practical applications of reimancy, Marcus found himself a table, and sat down on the comfortable chair before it. He set himself to reading, and let his mind scroll across the worn, yellow-tinged pages of parchment...

Until some idiot with a rock decided to make a plea for attention. In a usual state, Marcus would've easily been able to disregard such a distraction, and simply return to whatever had been occupying him prior. However, this magician was in no mood for silly games, and, seeing an opportunity to release some steam, Marcus shut his book, walking over to the small outcropping where the sound had erupted from. When he got within arm's reach, Marcus reached out and placed a hand on the offender's shoulder. Calm in appearance, at least, as was to be seen of Marcus' firm grip. Slowly Marcus spoke, in his usual calm tone, now strained with an effort to remain collected.

"Why... Do you have a Rock... In the Library..?"
Marcus Dymez
Imagination is oft confused with Insanity.

Words: 134886
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaeson Dakano on June 5th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Kaeson glanced over to the tattooed woman, eyes flashing violet in his annoyance. "Obviously," Kaeson said, "I AM practicing -- I'm thinking it's probably best to be as serious as I can regarding magic," he finished, clearly irritated at the woman's intrusion. Furrowing his brow, Kaeson reached out to the rock he had so clumsily created, wondering why he wasn't able to control it anymore. Grabbing the fist sized stone, Kaeson looked up to see the strange woman still staring at him -- almost as if it wasn't obvious what Kaeson was doing. So Kaeson stared back.

Looking over the woman, Kaeson noticed just how...foreign she seemed. While she was an attractive individual, Kaeson could at least admit that to himself, he frowned as he realized just how tattooed the woman was. The strange woman had several tattooes that marked her skin from head to foot, as well as several piercing that adorned her body. Although Kaeson felt the woman would be much more attractive in a more...natural state, he couldn't help but admit the tattles and piercings added a certain exotic feel to the woman.

Kaeson opened his mouth, intending to ask the strange woman why she continued staring when someone grabbed his shoulder. Rolling his shoulder in an attempt to free himself from a stranger's grip, Kaeson turned around to face a man of average height and build.

"I WAS practicing," Kaeson said, adding, "I would think most of the students here at the university could see this," rudely.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Canrehne on June 7th, 2012, 9:38 am

Staring back into Kaeson's eyes, trying to be as intimidating as possible. Even though it was a library where people are supposed to be at least remotely polite and at least act normal, Canrehne was doing exactly the opposite. Upon Kaeson grabbing the rock, Canrehne sighed. "Did you know that you are only able to create things that equal your intelligence?" Canrehne said, looking at Kaeson with a smirk, her dark-brown eyes scanning him and the rock over and over again, giggling a little because of the witty insult that she did about Kaeson and the rock.

Noticing Marcus, she looked up and smiled.
"Oh, hey!" she said, loud enough for him and Kaeson to hear her.
She was quite surprised - she didn't expect to see Marcus here at this time, or in this place. However, it was a surprising encounter, but it was pleasant as well. Meeting someone you just met a few days ago by chance is quite a good thing. Of course, this depends on the relationship between the two. Whether they're hostile or not.
Canrehne
The Ritualist

Character sheet

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 7th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Marcus gripped the man's shoulder tightly as he was given his answer, his mood only souring further by the bogus explanation. Who in their right mind would practice something as destructive as reimancy in a library. It was apparent the student was a novice at this, and that did lessen his annoyance a small amount. But that didn't excuse him completely; A man needed to be held responsible for his idiocy sometimes. As he opened his mouth, eager to reprimand the student, and perhaps give a pointer or two from his own experience, Marcus heard a familiar voice come from over his shoulder. Marcus had a different appearance with his robes on, his slightly-toned muscles from years of dock work hidden behind layers of linen, and it struck him that Canrehne had not yet noticed him. With a slight chuckle, Marcus turned to face the peculiar legate.

His grip subconsciously lessened as Marcus smiled over to the lovely woman, speaking in a tensely constrained form of his usual tone; holding back his frustration from coming into his voice. "Well look who it is. Can't say I expected to see you here." Marcus smiled to her for a moment, before returning to his prior focus. He squeezed the man's shoulder as he turned back to him, grabbing his attention. "Your 'training' has attracted two magicians now; one who deals with death and one who can cause it. I know a place to go do things in private... You would do well to find one; it'll help wonders. For future reference, practicing your reimancy in the library is not exactly a bright idea." Marcus did his best not to sound threatening, but his mind needed some release. It did feel odd playing the rough vigilante type though...

Plus, Marcus would be lying if he said he wasn't curious about this ignorant magician.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaeson Dakano on June 8th, 2012, 2:57 am

"Things that equal my intelligence?" Kaeson repeated, eyes narrowing at the giggling woman. "Right, well, let's see what you can do then," Kaeson said, adding, "I'm sure that someone as clever as you could create something much more clever and interesting then anything I could," Kaeson finished, glaring at the young woman. "I mean, I only brought a rock into existence -- any common idiot could do that. Nothing special there," Kaeson said sarcastically. Kaeson looked away from the girl for a moment, thoughts returning to his reimanced rock. "It is pretty special isn't it," he thought, smiling. "Sure, it wasn't the best attempt at reimancy, but I DID do something. That's something --"

"They know each other?!" Kaeson thought miserably as the rude pair greeted each other. "Great petching reunion, I am so glad I could help reunite you two," Kaeson mumbled, rolling the fist sized rock around the desk with his finger.

Kaeson snorted at what he presumed to be a threat. Rolling his shoulder to get away from the man's tightening grip, Kaeson stood up and stared right back at the man who had 'suggested' he find somewhere else to practice.

"I've practiced here before and I intend to keep on studying here -- sure, this was my first time practicing reimancy outside the classroom, but I'd like to think I did rather well," Kaeson said smugly. It was true, Kaeson had thought he had done well -- sure, he could have done better, but he felt confident with his efforts. "Besides, you can sound as cryptic as you'd like -- 'one who deals with death and one who can cause it,'" Kaeson rolled his eyes as he quoted the man, "-- but any Mage can cause death, anyone can cause death," Kaeson said, adding, "but how many can claim they can ward off Death almost entirely?" Kaeson could be cryptic, too.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Canrehne on June 9th, 2012, 4:09 pm

"I, for one, am not a Reimancer. I deal with the dead and I can only 'enchant' items. How many lives will your rock save, and how many lives will one of my necklaces save? Take a moment to consider that. Think it over, you'll be surprised how awful that rock was." she said, observing him roll the rock around the desk.

Sighing after listening to him, Canrehne spoke.
"Dear Reimancer, we're both mages, but I don't do my practices in the library. I deal with death, but I have no intentions of dealing with it within less than a week, because I'm honestly tired of all the deaths. Everyone can cause death, few can accept the responsibilities of that." she added, looking over at the rock.

In Canrehne's eyes, Reimancers were always the weird kind of mages. Summoners, Legates and all the other mages that dealt with other branches of magic were pretty normal to her, but Reimancers were always special. Always saying weird things, always thinking they're right. Oh well, Canrehne just had to let them be.
Canrehne
The Ritualist

Character sheet

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 9th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Marcus was once again sensing the arrogance coming from his acquaintance, and simply chuckled to himself as she went on about her skills as a Legate, which were indeed impressive. Marcus however was never really one to brag about his skills, and truly only brought up his magic when it served him well at the moment. This was one of such moments. Relaxing his grip on the man's shoulder, Marcus sighed, letting some of his frustration at the day's prior events seethe away. He spoke with a calm tone, his mind entertained with the duality the pair was establishing with this young wizard. "Listen, everyone has to start somewhere. I know quite well how it feels to start practicing Reimancy, but let me tell you that this is not the best place for it." He smiled politely as he went over and deftly snatched the rock up, weighing it in his hand. It had a good heft to it, but the shape was oddly oblong. Marcus remembered the feeling of his first attempts, complete with all of the frustrations and obstacles that laid in his path. But he had never received a concrete result such as this for his efforts; Fire was a fickle fiend that rarely stayed for too long. Perhaps that was why he never felt truly at place in this library...

Stirring himself from his introspection, Marcus returned to the situation at hand, the rock still firmly in his palm. He contemplated on perhaps conducting a demonstration of his shielding, but knew in his current mindset he would never be able to reach the calm he required. That being said, there was always a way to teach a lesson of sorts, especially to a fellow magician. Extending his hand out to the young man, he spoke. "If it helps you visualize the shape, use your hands to guide how you want your res to form. Eventually your mind will get used to manipulation, but it does require some practice." Turning to Canrehne, Marcus simply smirked over, the curious witch who took pride in her work. Marcus could admire such confidence, but it often strode a fine line alongside ego-centrism. Remembering one final point he wished to make, Marcus spoke aloud, to neither of the two in particular. "Keep in mind, it's easy to cause death, but much more difficult to prevent it."

"And young reimancer, in answer to your question; Only the gods themselves escape death. The rest of us can only prolong the chase."
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaeson Dakano on June 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Kaeson eyed the young woman over with renewed interested, "What do you mean, you deal with the dead?" he asked curiously. Ghost were a normal occurrence in Mizahar, but Kaeson didn't think the girl had meant something as mundane as talking with a random spirit -- she was a Mage, after all, Kaeson could only assume she was speaking of some kind of magic unknown to him. "And you enchant...necklaces? You magecraft?" Kaeson asked, presuming the woman spoke of the more commonly practiced magecraft opposed to malediction.

"Reimancer?" Kaeson laughed, "I would like to consider myself so, but as you noticed - or rather, as you heard, I am a novice at the art."

Kaeson nodded as the pierced woman's companion spoke to him. His voice was calmer now, a voice whose suggestions Kaeson was much more willing to consider. Kaeson watched as the man snatched up the rock, seemingly only to observe it. Kaeson listened closely to the man's advise, taking in every word -- if he was a more accomplished reimancer, it would be smart to listen to what he had to say.

"Thanks...for the advice, uh...?," Kaeson's voice trailed off, indicating the man should give him his name. Nodding at the magical pair, Kaeson introduced himself, "I'm Kaeson -- just in case you two were wondering."

Looking back at Marcus, Kaeson smirked at what he had said, "Not even gods get away from dying,"
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes