Flash backs and consumables

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Theodore Drake on June 13th, 2012, 8:23 pm

So two questions.
How do Flashbacks work? Do skills and lore get added retroactively? (wouldn't that cause a paradox in how you play your character in the present? Though I guess one could "remember" spontaneously)

The other question would be, how do consumable items work? Do they work as I imagine them working: As one uses them in their threads they get subtracted from your inventory and lost/used. Causing one to have to buy more. (naturally)

Or, as in the case as a similar website, buying them allows you to use them over and over in terms of threads but not in the same thread. (although this doesn't make a lot of since to me, I figured I would ask what the procedure is with handling items)
Drake - /drāk/
Noun:A male duck.
Theodore Drake
Player

Words: 4545
Joined roleplay: May 27th, 2012, 1:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on June 14th, 2012, 1:47 am

Hey there :)

Flashbacks work as follows: they must be set in a season prior to the season you began playing in. They are graded just like a normal thread, so yes, you do get skills and lores retroactively. I guess technically there's a paradox, but it just makes life easier for everyone. Here's some handy reading.

As for consumables, your first thought is correct. Once a one-use only consumable is used in thread, it's crossed off from your inventory, and you will have to purchase or acquire further said consumables.

Hope this helps!

Paragon
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Daske Baggywrinkle on June 14th, 2012, 2:51 am

Following up on this, do we really have to purchase every bit of food we eat and every mug of ale we drink? That seems like an awful lot of micro-management and I thought it got taken are of by seasonal living expenses. The rule of thumb I have been using is that if it goes in my inventory, then I pay for it. If it goes in my stomach, then I don't.

For example, Daske recently stocked up on non-perishable food stuffs for a voyage. I listed them out, but I didn't deduct anything from my ledger for them. On the other hand, if Daske were to share a bottle of rum with a fellow sailor, I would expect that to have been purchased and in his inventory, and that he would deduct it from his inventory upon consuming it. So why did I treat the rum differently that, say, a sack of potatoes? I'm not sure. The rum just seems like a special item rather than a bunch of non-descript food stuffs.

If I have gotten this wrong, someone needs to tell me so I can adjust my behavior accordingly.
AKA Anselm
Daske Baggywrinkle
I AM smiling, dammit!

Words: 137247
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on June 14th, 2012, 11:06 am

Day to day food and drink would be covered under your living expenses, yes. But of course you can purchase food in the context of a social thread for example, and it would then work like a consumable. I wasn't really thinking of food, more like for example a candle. Once it's burned down, the consumable is used.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Daske Baggywrinkle on June 14th, 2012, 1:49 pm

A most excellent explanation! Thank you. This has been nagging at me for a while now.
AKA Anselm
Daske Baggywrinkle
I AM smiling, dammit!

Words: 137247
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on June 14th, 2012, 4:11 pm

No problem :)
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook