Questions!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Questions!

Postby Kiran Pelyna on June 23rd, 2012, 11:45 pm

o1. Can an Albino Zith exist? (I want to make another character as a Zith and my editing keeps making the picture whiteish, so albino Zith?)
o2. Where are all the Myrians? Dx That had been my first choice in my other character and there's no one on that forum it seems.
o3. What race has the most players? I'm guessing either Dryaks, Inaratas or humans in general.
o4. Is there wiki page full of mounts (Not horses) but like mounts that certain races have, I know Inarta's have wind eagles and Myrian's have their giant tigers but do any other races have special mounts?
o5. Are horses scared of Dhani?
o6. Can a Symestra ride a horse? I'd think the gait would break a few bones if some of them are afraid of jostling crowds...
o7. Symestra-Dhani mixed child. What would that look like?

Thats all I got for now!

Okay guys sorry I've been off for awhile, real life has this way of sneaking up on you. I'm not going to elaborate on what's going on in my life cause that's my business but know that I've got a lot on my plate and I had to take a step back from Mizahar. I'll being posting sporadically and I'm sorry. I'll get on when can.
Kiran Pelyna
The charismatic little sylph

Words: 52557
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions!

Postby Gossamer on June 24th, 2012, 12:11 am

Hi there.

Yes, but they'd be probably sickly and rare. In the sun would be harsh for them.
The Myrians are in Taloba. There's a few myrian pc's there.
Humana and Kelvic
No mount pages. Drykas have Striders. No one else have special ones.
Depends on the horse. :)
No idea bout Syms riding a horse. Ask a Sym. The seem kinda fragile for it to me.
No idea about a Sym/Dhani mix.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Questions!

Postby Kiran Pelyna on June 24th, 2012, 1:05 am

Would they be sickly because of a genetic thing or because of a lack of food? because I'd think that with the white hair they wouldn't be able to hunt and the colony wouldn't like that very much.
(If I make a PC of an albino Zith this will all go into the construction of her history)

Okay guys sorry I've been off for awhile, real life has this way of sneaking up on you. I'm not going to elaborate on what's going on in my life cause that's my business but know that I've got a lot on my plate and I had to take a step back from Mizahar. I'll being posting sporadically and I'm sorry. I'll get on when can.
Kiran Pelyna

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions!

Postby Macabre on June 24th, 2012, 11:58 am

Hey hey.

I'm not sure about sickly, if albinism is the same in species on Mizahar as it is in real life--just an absence of melanin--but there are drawbacks to making an albino, mostly in the eyes.

You will have visual problems: melanin helps with light toleration, the less of it you have in your eyes, the less you'll be able to stand bright light. Even regular sunlight will be painful to be out in. Melanin also helps in the development various parts of the eye, like the optic nerve, and it protects the retina. Eyesight will be poor on top of being light sensitive.

With vision problems come hunting problems, and with hunting problems come survivability issues.

That being said, genetic mutations happen. If you're into playing out the drawbacks of albinism, I can't see anyone having an issue with your zith.
we do what we must, because we can. for the
good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.

kalinor lore | the symenestra | faq | office
Macabre
That's funny, I don't feel corrupt.

Words: 52332
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Office

Questions!

Postby Kiran Pelyna on June 24th, 2012, 3:40 pm

I actually figured she wouldn't be able to go out into daylight, or that she'd have to go out blind. And if she's near blind her other senses will be heightened, correct?

Unless you mean poor eyesight by Zith standard? Or just poor eyesight by a universal standard?

Kiran Pelyna

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions!

Postby Gossamer on June 24th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Gillar said they'd have - with the expression of so many recessive traits as is common with albinos - health issues, major disease that comes with having all those recessive genes, and live short lifespans if they are albinos. He wrote the Zith. He'd know.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Questions!

Postby Kiran Pelyna on June 25th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Sorry to say this, I don't mean to sound mean or anything but albinism doesn't necessarily have to be caused by recessive genes it can simply be a mutation.

There are however four types of albinism. Three of them include many diseases, bleeding, and lack of killer cells.
But Oculocutaneous Albinism is not deadly and just affect eye sight, skin color and hair color.
To be specific Oculocutaneous albinism type 1 (OCA1 or tyrosinase-related albinism) results from a genetic defect in an enzyme called tyrosinase (hence ‘ty’ above). This enzyme helps the body to change the amino acid tyrosine into pigment. (An amino acid is a “building block” of protein.) There are two subtypes of OCA1. In OCA1A, the enzyme is inactive and no melanin is produced, leading to white hair and very light skin. (Copied directly from http://www.albinism.org/publications/what_is_albinism.html)
I have gotten from four sights now that Albinio's live normal lifespans, with the exception of Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, Chediak-Higashi and Griscelli Syndrome. And they experience the same health risks as every other person in america except a raised chance of skin cancer.

I'm saying my character would have Oculocutaneous albisim or would be mutated.

Sorry i got attached to my character and I wanted her to live, so I researched albinism to see if you guys were right or if my character would be able to exist, albeit blind.
Don't hate me :(

Kiran Pelyna

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Questions!

Postby Gossamer on June 25th, 2012, 6:39 pm

That's real life in regards to humans. Are you now saying your playing a HUMAN not a zith? I assumed you meant ZIth since thats what you said. This is a fantasy world where you were asking about a race, and have been given an answer by the creator of the race...
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Questions!

Postby Sahreni on June 25th, 2012, 9:01 pm

True! Real world and fantasy are very different here, so if a creator of a race, or any other part of the game tells you how something works, just take their word. ^_^ Chances are, they have already done their own research and spent time laying out how they want it to work, so don't worry about the exact science.

There are a bunch of things here that wouldn't scientifically make sense in the real world, like the way Sym reproduction works , or how Kelvics can change their shape from say, a mouse to a human (magic > laws of physics). There is still, in my opinion, a reasonable flow of logic in the world of Mizahar. Making things scientifically accurate would take away some of the intrigue (think midichloreans -_-).

Also, I think an albino Zith sounds pretty cool, even if he was a little sickly. Dealing with kind of thing helps add character depth!

As far as Syms riding horses, it wouldn't happen often, as they don't have horses in Kalinor, but it's certainly not unheard of, I would think. Colombina or Poison would be the best people to ask about anything Sym related!

Edit!
Add.: After some consultation, I've found that Syms can certainly ride horses, but most don't really like them. Syms aren't so fragile that riding horses will hurt them, but they can still be dangerous animals. Being kicked by a horse could seriously injure (or kill) a human, but a Sym's injuries would be far worse by comparison. As a race, Symenestra are usually pretty cautious.
Sahreni
Both and neither.

Words: 44545
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 6:56 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets