[Riverfall Location] The Door Of Mysteries

One of the most unusual places in Riverfall, this door leads to nowhere and goes everywhere. Where will it take you?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gossamer on June 24th, 2012, 7:47 pm

During the Djed Storm in Spring of 512 AV there was an incredible amount of wild djed that was exploded outward from Wind Reach across the world in all directions. These massive ripples of divine energy caused destruction in its pathway, altered the living, and sometimes even changed things that were seemingly unchangeable. One thing in Riverfall that was created, rather than destroyed, was The Door. Its official name now is The Door of Mysteries, but everyone in Riverfall knows what someone means when they simply refer to "The Door." By now, hundreds have literally stepped through its threshold, sometimes returning and sometimes not. The ones that do return have fantastical stories to tell - trips to the future, to the past, and even to places not on Mizahar where the stars are completely different. People and creatures live on the other side of the doorway. And sometimes those things come through, appearing if by magic as the door's metal gate swings open with an audible click from the lock. Following that the heavy wood swings wide revealing scenes on the other side, different each time. People step through, blinking in confusion, that can't even speak Common or Tukant, and look like no one else in Mizahar.

Some say its a portal, but others are not so sure. One thing is known about The Door. It is built into a wall, visible on one side (inside the city), with only plain unbroken stone on the other side (outside the city). Because The Door is built into the city wall where no other structure exists within, it is only possible that The Door opens into solid stone where no possible chamber can be on the other side. Sure the walls of Riverfall are twelve feet thick, but they are solid, overseen by the whole of the city when they were being constructed.

People are free to try The Door. They are free to step past its boundaries. And there is a method to it, for sure, because unless one can unlock the iron gate that blocks The Door, one isn't opening The Door itself. Some say one need only to whisper a secret or a wish and the gates will unlock. However, others say it takes more. For each person the process is different. For each person the process is dangerous.

But still, they come, whisper, and then open The Door.

* Please note, this location requires moderation!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Raiha on June 24th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Late Summer, 512 AV

It never failed to surprise them how fast the season could go. Both souls of the Akontak had thought that it would drag on with the disappearance of Kanrath and Uruk, Raiha because he was gone, and Kanikra, because she was convinced that Raiha would pine away and not shut up about it. But while she was quiet, while she bounced Tasival and flew the birds, hunting with far less emotion than she had in seasons past, she didn’t talk about it. Kanikra didn’t know whether she should be surprised or relieved.

She’d gone to town today to get more cloth - her own attempts at sewing, as well as their ever-present need for bandages and wraps and slings had decreased her own supplies, and with times as they were, Raiha saw no problem in hoarding resources just in case, Gods forbid, the storm that came in the first breath of the new year came again to repeat itself. Kanikra just let her. If that was what she wanted to do, then so be it. It was as good a hobby as anything, and making things were useful. But in any case, the young Akontak found herself passing by the door, and her steps slowed as she passed the iron gate. She had heard the stories, on her rare trips to town, but she had yet to see anyone come from it, or enter it, with her own two eyes. Behind every story was a grain of truth, wasn’t there?

And such a truth could be a secret... well worth learning. Discovering. And guarding.

“What secrets do you hold?” Raiha whispered, stopping, then, putting her hand on the gate and inspecting the lock. “Do you hold the future or the past, both or neither? Something else? Portents? Relics? Show me.”
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Paonna on June 24th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Summer 27th, 512AV

The Door. She had heard of the door, whispers and rumors spread around by all who had gone near. It was magic, they'd say, incredible. People would leave and never come back, or they would come back with fantastical stories to tell. The iron gate was locked, it was always locked, but sometimes...sometimes it would click open, showing a new face out, or letting a new face in.

It was an insatiable curiosity that led her to the door, her feeble but complicated attempt at solving the mystery of the gossip. Was it really, truly, magical? What would she see on the other side... and would, would she come back? Or would she be forever changed in shape or mind? She could die and fall away forever from the threads of history and life, to be reincarnated as someone, something else. She could be forever locked away in another world, soon to forget her old home and life.

But to solve the mysteries, the secrets? It was a chance she didn't want to miss.

The iron gate held firm, by a lock that didn't appear to have a keyhole. The hushed conversations had said that there was a method to open it, to unlock the door and to see what was beyond, other than solid stone.

"Show me your secrets," she murmured in Kontinese, trailing her hand across the iron bars. Uyu stirred from her perch around her neck, glancing at the door in a half-asleep stupor. She glanced up at Paonna before falling back into slumber, proving how much she trusted the Konti. She stroked the little Kelvic's tail, still whispering to the door. "Show me your secrets, Door of Mysteries. Show me adventure, show me something I've never known before."
Paonna
whisper your wonders.

Words: 8379
Joined roleplay: June 8th, 2012, 6:11 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on June 30th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Raiha ----- > Follow Me!

Paonna -----> Follow Me!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Saib on May 6th, 2013, 9:29 pm

65th Day of Spring, Around Noon

Saib grunted as he he woke up and sighed with relief when he saw that he was in his bed in the inn- and alone. He had spent many of his nights and days since the failed hunt with Razkar in bars, drowning his sorrows in alcohol and letting his dark side take over most times. He would flirt and petch whatever seemed even slightly attractive to him. He probably got into fights too, though he couldn't remember most of his drunken nights. And days.

A soft, sad cooing sound interrupted his thoughts and he looked over to see Fluffy sitting next to his head on the pillow. His, or her, fur was dull and limp and Saib sighed softly. He had neglected his adored Riamm recently, not taking him out of the room or grooming him and only feeding him the scraps he didn't eat.
"Come on, lets get you better."He said softly, picking up the ball of fur, feeling his other side stirring as well.

---A while later---

Saib stood in front of a door that while normal looking in itself was obviously out of place because of the fact that it was in the solid city wall. A trilling noise from Fluffy, now full and clean, told him it realized the oddness of it too. He had heard whispers and rumours about this door, the Door of Mysteries. He sighed and closed his eyes.
"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say or ask but I just want to find myself. I don't understand my place in this world. I'm not a good fighter or hunter like Myrians or Akalaks are supposed to be. I feel like I don't have a purpose. I want some help..." he pleaded, feeling stupid for talking to an inanimate object.
The Darker Side of Saib :

"Common"
"Myrian"
"Thinking"

Saib's Darker Side is the same but underlined text!
Saib
Player

Words: 9714
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet