[Flashback] Blood Stone [Solo]

Volsk practices his Jewel-crafting and meets with a hazardous interruption.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Flashback] Blood Stone [Solo]

Postby Volsk on July 7th, 2012, 8:23 am

Blood Stone
2nd of Spring, 512 AV

“Where’d you buy it?” asked a small voice that came from across the wooden counter. Volsk watched as the man peered through a magnified monocle, squinting with furrowed brow, focusing on the object held in his hand. It glinted magnificently sending a cascade of angular light in all directions as the gem ripped candle light from the world around it. The young man stood quietly watching, brow also steeply lined in concentration and caution. The item was worth a lot and he couldn’t bring himself to look away from it for any amount of time, lest it disappear. Volsk quickly brought his leather gloved hand up to the old man's face and began clicking his fingers at the little old figure clutching his prize.
“Enough, enough Doherty. I came here for assistance not for your pleasure.”

The young man’s constant inner conversation sparked into life.

Look you! He’s helping give him a moment, stop snapping.
Oh, oh yes sure, we’ll just stand here all day while he gets my gem dirty with his grubby fingers shall I?
My gem, it’s MY gem and don’t you forget it. I look at that shiny little morsel and see the world that is rightly mine within it… what do you see? Paying bills? Yeah that’d be it you probably want to buy a bloody mule or something boring don’t you?
So, so what if I'm practical if I wasn’t you’d be in the gutter.
HAHA! Good one brother! Me! In the gutter! HA! No, I don’t want to sell it, I want to cut it and fit it to a new ring. People need to see me with it, who am I without it? No one, a commoner… I AM NOT A COMMON SAILOR!

Volsk slammed his gloved hand down hard in a clenched fist on the counter, metal picks and small tubs of ink and parchment fell dramatically to the ground. The little man behind the counter spooked wildly stepping back with terrified eyes, but they quickly turned to confusion. Volsk was combing his light hair back with a beaming smile, far changed from his previous steely demeanour.
“HA! Don’t be startled Doherty I’m ecstatic, it’s wonderful isn’t it? IT’S FUCKING MARVELOUS!”
The little man Doherty forced a nervous smile trying to assess the sudden change in attitude, he carefully handed the gem back over. Volsk quickly whipped a small leather box forth, opening the clasp he began to withdraw varied appraisal instruments. He clutched the gem high in the light spinning metal utensils around the object trying to figure his prize out. “I can’t put my finger on it Doherty, what is it? I’ve had decent time in the jewel trade but this one escapes me! Tricky bastard..”

Doherty withdrew a tired looking book from bellow the counter and began flipping pages vigorously. He tapped on the counter with a finger without looking up. Volsk gave him a curious raised eyebrow but placed the gem back on the table as directed. He craned his neck to inspect the pages being flipped. Each one was similar to the last, an encyclopaedia of precious metals and gemstones. Diagrams, cross sections and various facts, figures, maps and images displayed known information on varying natural occurring stones. He saw names he was familiar with occasionally as they flipped past his eyes. Black Agate, Amethyst, varying diamonds, then the pages suddenly stopped.
“What about this? It’s got the same banding? But..”
“No it’s not a bloody hematite, I’ve handled those.”

Doherty continued flipping the pages, before stopping again tracing his finger over the picture.
Volsk spoke through the mutterings of the little man “Malachite… never heard of it…” Doherty was used to the man’s fascination with anything precious so gave him time of day on the subject, less his demeanour rapidly changed again. “No, no it’s not a Malachite. See here the way the colours change too rapidly, it’s not the same. An interesting stone though usually found around stalagmites and other deep underground areas with fluid movement. A protection stone, some say it looks after the wearer in not only physical accidents but business ventures as well…"

He began flipping the pages again before stopping suddenly, slamming his little finger down. He muttered to himself before flicking the pages again. Volsk watched with interest but growing frustration. In nearly all things food, drink, people… anything, Volsk would choose the more expensive or high-societally considered ‘finer’ option. However when it comes to his stones, emotion often takes over. What he perceives as spiritual or truly beautiful is worth more than any life, even if the little gem may only be worth a single copper. That’s not to say that an expensive gem loses any value, if anything he hits two birds with the one stone, so to speak.
“Hmm interesting… I think this might be it.” Volsk grabbed the book spinning it on the spot, leaning in with great interest.
“Fire Opal…” he turned his head like a confused puppy, leaning closer still “…I’ve seen opals, but not like this”. He placed the stone next to the image and nodded his head. “I think you're right Doherty. GOOD MAN!” He beamed a grinned at the nervous little jeweller before returning to the book.
“amorphous silica… quartz relation… This is all pretty standard of a common Opal…” He skimmed down the page to the more speculative properties.
“Healing properties… relieves energy deficiencies.. stimulates sexual organs and adrenal glands… Interesting… can be charged with all energies… magic… invisibility… astral projections…”

He stood up again and looked at the fire opal and then at his friend Doherty. The little man spoke with caution “if I can be so bold, Mr Volsk… but those aren’t really found around these parts… how’d you get a hold of one…”
His beaming grin slowly faded, and the little man quickly took a step back putting his hands up. “…not that I care that is, it’s yours of course… just interested is all, Raelon you know me, can’t help but ask..” Raelon raised an eye brow before relaxing and smiling back, he studied the gemstone again. “What’s it worth?"
“Jeez that’s hard to say, a common opal is still rare to come by up here… a fire opal rarer still... that could be worth serious mizas to the right buyer that’s for sure.”

Volsk’s grin widened to almost manic proportions. He beautiful acquisition was not only stunning but pricey… perfectly fitting. He crossed the shopfront and flipped the door's latch to the locked position before striding behind the counter, startling the little man.
“You are going to help me shape it Doherty, it’s too raw and uneven it deserves symmetry and shape. Take me to your tools”.
Dream in a pragmatic way. ~Aldous Huxley
Volsk
Player

Words: 7029
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2012, 10:28 am
Race: Human
Character sheet