[Flashback]Lost and Confused (Tock)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 21st, 2012, 3:46 am

To be frank it took Vondra a few moments to understand the girl each time, she had a heavy accent and Vondra rarely actually heard people with accents, oh she had heard them before just no like this. It was entertaining because it sounded childish and obviously the woman was not a child. Still she answered all her questions and Tock seemed like an interesting person, even if she did have the chronic disorder of sticking her foot in her mouth it seemed.

“Magic?” often she had wondered if magic could cure her but she wasn’t even sure what it was, for all she knew it simply described things. “You will build a city out of magic?”

Her skepticism wasn’t meant to sound rude she was simply curious, could someone actually do that? She never actually seen a building so maybe they did but Tock had just said they didn’t…she shook her head lightly, it was simply pleasant to listen to the girl even if she didn’t understand half of what she was talking about. Vondra was enjoying herself because Tock was, simple as that. “So we are basically standing on a pile of rocks and wood? Isn’t it still…magic? Because the stone should be chipping and wouldn’t the wood swell?”

She may not understand all things but she did understand that stone smoothed and disappeared in constant water, weathered buildings walls told her as much and her mother often complained about water damage destroying the wooden door. A twinge of pride of her own simple knowledge and she beamed in the direction of her companion, of course, at the next comment that grin turned into full blown laughter at the other’s words.

“You really don’t know?” she tapped her chin as in deep thought before leaning a little heavier on Tock and reaching one of her arms to feel the others face lightly. Her fingers touched the other girls lips briefly before she pulled her arm back reaching it up to feel the structure above her. “Innocent aren’t you? I could fix that.”

But Vondra made no move to actually elaborate on her words, she may enjoy fun but she wasn’t a rapist nor was she someone to simply attack people, well, actually she did sometimes. When she had too much wine but it was rather amusing to meet someone like her in Ravok. She figured teasing the Tock would prove much more interesting. “Think real hard and I’m sure you’ll think of something. You should tell me more about what your building for now.”

Notice: Hey all, apologies for any delay's, my computer freezes a lot but posting shouldn't take any longer than a week!
Vondra Valencia
Player

Words: 39439
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 21st, 2012, 4:02 am

Tock frowned as she thought about the girl's counter-argument. "Well," she said, "stone done takes a long time fer ta wear down. Could been down 'ere 'undreds o' years what 'fore she wears 'nough fer ta been a problem... dunno 'bout the wood, though. Maybe she's done been treated what wit' somethin'?" She had used philters in woodworking before to prevent water damage, though she wasn't sure how well such a thing would hold up underwater for such a long time.

"But yah," she said distractedly, wondering if she could climb down the wall underwater to get a closer look, then pull herself back up without actually needing to swim. "I's gonna build a 'ole city, all fer myself. Well, an' my Golems. Knights, builders, farmers, everythin'..."

She felt the girl shift against her, and assuming she was just slipping and about to go under, she held her a bit more firmly. Then she felt fingers touch her lips and she turned to look at Vondra in confusion. "Huh?" she asked, without a clue what the girl was getting at. Though the touch was...

She shook her head and turned back to the foundation. "I ain't what sure if'n I's wanna build a city on the water, aye? But, oy, think ya can 'olds my legs a minute?" She shifted her grip, releasing Vondra once she made sure the girl had a strong enough hold on the beams. Maybe with the other girl holding her legs for support, she could get underwater safely and reach down low enough to examine the wood piles.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 21st, 2012, 4:54 am

She could tell the girl was focused and it amused her and was, honestly, a bit cute. She seemed like a small child who just got a sweet. Grinning a little wider Vondra argued a bit more just for arguments sake, “Well…dirt gets muddy quickly so wouldn’t it make a difference on what type of stone they used too? You wouldn’t want your city to sink or were down into dust.”

This was said quiet cheerfully and it only grew as Tock grew more and more distracted, mumbling off things Vondra had no clue about. In her head she imagined some sort of blob and strange shapes, it amused her greatly and forestalled her from asking a ridiculous amount of questions. But her mind hopped to it as she felt herself being released. “Do you know how to swim? Because I don’t and if I drop you, you might drown.”

All the same she clutched at the columns above her head before allowing one arm to fall away and hold out for the other girls legs. Taking a bit more feeling than necessary and smirking a bit before she spoke, obviously the Tock hadn’t taken what she said into account at all. Or she was much more innocent than not catching a joke or two.

“Although I think I’m enjoying holding your legs so there shouldn’t be any problems.” She highly doubted the other girl would even catch what she said or be paying attention but it made her laugh a bit all the same. “You can tell me what you see when you come back up.”

It wasn’t really a request, it was more of a demand. She really did enjoy people explaining and describing things to her because it made her feel as if she had seen them herself, not to mention it helped her understand what in the Gods name the were talking about.

This may turn out to be a better day yet, Nikali.

Notice: Hey all, apologies for any delay's, my computer freezes a lot but posting shouldn't take any longer than a week!
Vondra Valencia
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 21st, 2012, 5:45 am

Tock muttered to herself about types of stone, making a mental note to run some tests on which ones held up longest under water erosion, while she shifted her position to raise her legs. She also muttered something about needing to buy some rope, wishing she had thought to bring some. Only half listening to what Vondra was saying, she added distractedly, "I's 'old onta the wall... can't drown if'n I pulls myself up..." Of course, she wasn't entirely sure about that, but she was just crazy and adventurous enough to try it anyway.

Then, once again only hearing half of what the woman said about her legs, Tock replied, "Aye, I's enjoyin' it too! Don'tcha jus' love architec'ure?" She then took a deep breath and ducked down underwater, something she'd never voluntarily done before in her life. The last time she'd been underwater, it had been almost drowning before the Sailor Man pulled her out. But this time she should be safer...

With Vondra holding her legs, she gripped the struts that held up the walkway and used them to climb down through the water. Upside down, she lowered herself as far as she could, until Vondra would need to be reaching down low with one hand to keep a grip on Tock's ankles. Luckily she was wearing leather pants so they didn't get tangled around her legs the way a skirt would have. Tock never wore skirts.

She ran her hands along the stone foundation, and knocked on it with her hands, trying to identify the type of stone. Then she reached down lower to feel the wood underneath. Unfortunately, she'd left her tools in her rented room, not wanting to get them wet since she'd known she would be studying the underwater structures today (though she hadn't planned on getting THIS far into the water). She picked at the wood with her fingernails, trying to pry off a piece so she could examine it for signs of philtering treatments, but she couldn't get any of it free. She should have brought her chisels, but she didn't want them to get rusty from this sort of work.

Finally unable to hold her breath any longer, she pulled herself back up, using the walkway's support struts for guidance. When her face broke through the water, she gasped for air, throwing an arm around Vondra for support while the other found a clumsy grip on the beam over her head. She had a moment of panic when she slipped and almost lost her grip, holding tighter to her adventure companion, breathing heavily after her underwater excursion.

"Gotta knife o' somethin'?" she asked between gasps.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 22nd, 2012, 4:25 am

Vondra rolled her eyes lightly at Tock’s comment but nodded, her voice holding a weary amusement for the other girl, “You don’t make this easy do you?”

Still it was not quite as much fun once the other was under water and Vondra found herself counting time slowly even if the girl wasn’t under for more than a chime or so. To keep herself entertained she even tried imagining what Ravok look liked or what the bridged looked like. Frankly her mama had tried to teach her shapes by feel but it never really sunk in very well. She needn’t entertain for long though because the ankle slipped from her grasp as the other flung her soppy arms around her neck. She grinned.

“Come around fast don’t you?” but the question surprised her and she shook her head, “I don’t carry things I can’t use.”

“But you could probably get a rock and chip it or something. If you can find one.”
She was trying very hard to keep her hands to herself and stay focused, her words a bit hurried but Tock was not making it easy. She was clinging to her and breathing very heavily and she was wet. And did she mention wet? Practically plastered to her really and Vondra was not pushing her away, in fact her arm wrapped a bit tighter as she spoke. “But I have longer nails than you and maybe I could try.”

And she did want to try, she could use a cold rinsing and not to mention she just wanted to go underwater, her mama never let her. She was terrified she wouldn’t be able to find up. But for Vondra herself it was something to do and make her feel a tad less unhelpful. Through all this thought her face had slowly been inching toward Tocks and it was not until their noses bumped that she realized precisely what she had was doing and pulled back but not too far.

“Well, help me down then.”

Vondra Valencia
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 22nd, 2012, 5:03 am

Tock blushed slightly when the girl's nose bumped hers, suddenly aware of how close their faces were. But she just assumed it was innocent, due to the close quarters under the bridge. Bumping elbows (or in this case, noses) was commonplace when working on a job with someone. Tock wasn't one to go all giggly and girlish because of a stray touch here and there.

After all, she was the sort of person that if she were going to kiss someone, she'd just grab them and do it.

"A rock sounds good," she said. "Oy, 'old on one sec, I's finds one..." She shifted the other girl until she was sure she was secure and had a good grip on the beams, then climbed back out to the edge and pulled herself up. Soaking wet and drawing stares from the passerby who were no doubt wondering what she was doing (she HATED that question!), she quickly searched the area until she found a chipped piece of brick off one of the buildings.

With the 'tool' in hand, she climbed back into the water and over to Vondra, letting out an excited breath. "Woo! Les'go, 'en, aye?"

Interested in getting herself down underneath again, she came up with an idea. She pulled off her belt, and carefully looped it around the vertical pole that rose from the water. She slid it to a point just under the surface of the water, pulling it tight, and keeping a grip on it with one hand. Once she was underwater, she'd be able to use it as a handle to pull herself up.

Belatedly realizing that the blind girl wouldn't know what she was doing, she said, "I got somethin' grippy what fer ta pull back up. So jus' 'old onta me, aye?" She slipped her other arm around Vondra's waist again. "Ready? Deeeep breath!"

Holding her breath, she flipped underwater, guiding the blind girl upside-down with her. She made sure Vondra was holding onto her firmly so she could release her grip on the girl, keeping one hand on the belt above her and using the other to take out the brick shard. She scraped it across the wood piles, cutting into them until she was able to pull a small sliver off. She then cut a second piece off from a slightly different location. Once she got them back up to the surface, she'd be able to examine them for any signs of possible philtering treatment.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 22nd, 2012, 8:39 am

Tocks excitement was again contagious, that or Vondra was easily entertained and filled with the urge to clap in delight. Quickly finding the initial assumption on water was correct. Being underneath the water was amazing. For once her ears didn’t try to make up for her lack of sight. It was silence that filled a room. Yet at the same time she could clearly hear the swishing of a body beside her and thwacking that echoed in her head. It wasn’t until the sound stopped and her lungs felt strangely expanded, as if they would burst, a trickle of water slipping past her lips that she realized it was time to go up.

She came up gasping, her hand searching for her companion and digging her fingers into the other as If she would suddenly slip back down. Amazing until she remembered breathing was a fact of life. Still she would gladly do it again. “That was amazing! Did you hear? Did you feel it? I feel so petching heavy.” The last bit came out a low groan before she continued, “Maybe we can move somewhere that doesn’t require as much effort to hold ourselves up?”

“Oh! Did you find your wood? I want to feel it.” She realizing perhaps she was being childish and demanding but there was a giddiness she couldn’t deny nor stop. This was a new kind of fun and one she rarely partook in. Already she was tugging at bit impatiently on the other, waiting for her to lead her back to the streets.

“Come.” She said, “And you can teach me more about these buildings.” Getting a bit too excited she smacked her hand up into the beam and grimaced a little before trying to pull them towards the direction she assumed the road was in.

Vondra Valencia
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 22nd, 2012, 9:39 pm

"Aye, right 'ere," she replied, holding up the wood slivers she'd pried off so the blind girl could run her fingers across them. "Careful fer splinters," she said, eying the wood herself. It was dark in the shade cast by the walkway above, so she couldn't get a good enough look at the texture to search for the signs of discoloration that might indicate a philtering treatment. Her Granddad used to apply staining mixtures to some wood to protect it from rain, and while she didn't know what they were made from, she would recognize the signs of their use. Once she got the wood up under the light, anyway.

She tucked the wood and the brick piece away in her pockets, and helped Vondra climb along the beams to pull them back out from under the walkway. She climbed back out of the water, then took the blind girl's hands to pull her out. She put her belt back on, humming to herself. Then, grinning wide and eager for more, she stretched her back out and planted her hands on her hips, looking around. She was being stared at, standing there soaking wet, but she didn't care. She looked to her left, then to her right. Then up.

She let out a cackle of excitement.

"Ya ever been on the roofs?" she asked the blind girl. Tock hadn't been up on the roofs here yet, but she was eager to see the city from that perspective. "C'mon," she took the girl's hand and pulled her along, searching for an easy place to climb up.

No study of architecture was complete without a trip to the rooftops.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 25th, 2012, 5:20 am

Reaching out her fingers brush both Tock’s and the woods and she smiled, finding both to her liking. Wet wood felt odd though and she didn’t touch it again, she had her fair share of awkwardly placed splinters and one in her hand wouldn’t be any more pleasant.

She was barely out of the water, a little grateful to feel solid ground. The water had made her feel a little off balance, more so than usual. It seemed her little venture was not over though as she heard Tock’s request. Honestly, she couldn’t even remember what she had originally been doing, though she vaguely wondered what time it was and how she was going to get home.

All the same she grinned widely up at the other girl, “No, I haven’t but I’m sure you’re going to show me a lot of things I haven’t seen.” For once, she hadn’t intended it to sound double edged and hearing her own words made her laugh breathlessly as she was tugged along by the other. Tock didn’t treat her like a child, even her mama could never understand her need to have normalcy. Even if she was half tripping to keep up with the other a bubble of pleasure welled up and she squeezed the others hand tightly as they stopped, obviously not planning to let go unless absolutely necessary.

“So how exactly are you planning on getting us both up there?” She had assumed they were in front of a building of some sort. “Maybe we can climb to the top floor inside than out a window? Window do get that high up don’t they?”

Tapping her chin briefly she glanced to where Tock was, “Or do we need rope?”

Vondra Valencia
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 25th, 2012, 5:44 am

"Aye, ya sure bet I is!" Tock replied. She was a firm believer that most people never got out enough and actually did anything with their lives, but they seriously needed to. Tock had lived her life like that for the first seventeen years. Letting her Da beat her down, never standing up for herself. Then she'd left home and started exploring the world, and she'd never looked back.

She barely remembered that the girl next to her was blind. Tock thought of everyone as equal, and treated everyone the same. Which was to say, she treated you fine as long as you went along with her crazy plans, badgered you into them when you didn't, and cursed you out when you were rude to her or acted smug around her. Since the blind girl was going along with everything, Tock was glad to treat her as good as she treated anyone, and the fact that the girl couldn't see never really entered into it.

She was vaguely aware that the girl was holding her hand a bit firmly, but didn't give it a second thought. She was too busy studying the buildings. She turned from side to side until she spotted something useful.

"C'mon," she said, pulling her new friend along. She vaguely realized this was the first friend she'd made since Syliras. Though in her heart she already knew it wouldn't last. No one ever stuck around...

She led Vondra to a nearby building where some crates were stacked outside. She didn't know what was in them, though from the smell of the building she guessed something to do with leatherworking. Without bothering to ask anyone's permission (when did she ever?), she started restacking the crates. Groaning, she lifted a few of the smaller ones up and shoved them on top of the larger ones. Once she had them high enough, she started climbing atop them, using them as a makeshift ladder. She helped Vondra up without a second thought, holding the blind girl steady, her eyes constantly looking up, eager to be on the roof.

By the time someone came out of the building and she heard the ever-dreaded, "What are you doing?" she was already reaching up towards the roof to pull herself up.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)