[Asher's Scrapbook]The House of Many Doors

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 16th, 2012, 8:30 pm

WELCOME!

No, really, welcome to my humble abode where my inner muse shall generally do nothing, as per usual. To find said abode one only need go over the river and through the woods and to grandmothers--er, wrong directions. What I meant is keeping going left until you go right then go back again! Well-la, looky here you made it. Now just find the right door followed by the right key under the right map and you may enter my abode.

That aside this a place for my rambles (because that is what a rambler does, we ramble), updates and generally when I shall pull a Houdini and escape the addiction that is Mizahar.

Rules and Regulations
  • Arguing=no, heated debates=yes
  • All general Miz rules
Other Note-worthy(or not) Things
  • Feel free to chat me up
  • Contribute to my ramblings
  • Post pics, I don't mind
  • Any questions PC related or not go ahead and ask, I don't bite. No really, I don't. Lack of teeth and all that.
  • Do as you like basically
Vital Info
(That you don't really care aboutxD)
  • Fickle
  • Aged 20 years and counting
  • Nice-ish
  • Gender=female
  • Status=Work/School/Writing
PCs
Last edited by Asher Salvatore Arc on July 26th, 2012, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Words: 31584
Joined roleplay: July 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 17th, 2012, 3:10 pm

The Ramblings of Death

The anniversary of a deceased family member came around and my little brother said something that made me laugh for many moments and then solidly think for a good hour (as well as give me my essay topic for class, yay!). Being sappy and adorable he insisted that should anything ever happen to me I had to promise to watch over him or come back through ‘retardation’. Yea, you read that right. He meant reincarnation and he was so serious about it I couldn’t help but laugh at his little slip up that he never even noticed.

Anyhow, it made me wonder. Death is something we know little about, I like to think it’s like sleeping, we just…aren’t there. We won’t even realize it because there’s just empty space. Sometimes I am told people think of it as a wonderful dream, a white light or family. Some people have a faith to hold to. Or maybe even reincarnation. Honestly, I can’t say it’s false because even if science can’t prove it (and science isn’t always right) it’s a belief and you cannot tell someone a belief is wrong. That aside it just made me wonder, if I had a past life or future time I would enter. IT made me strangely giddy and curious, there are so many possibilities but in the end I came to the conclusion that death is not living and therefore it doesn’t matter. You can’t stop so you just have to go with it no matter what.

But in that sense I wondered if death could be subjective, if someone can be conscious of it can’t they simply not believe they are dead or stay in a comatose-like state? Strange thought that oddly enough linked me to ghost because that is what I would assume the essentially are, beings who enjoy their death as life because they do not feel or believe they are dead.

In the end I have no idea what I’m talking about, just needed to get the feeling out. And on a side note, if I was to be reincarnated I would totally want to be a flower. I mean, who wouldn’t?
Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 21st, 2012, 5:03 am

The Ramblings of Accents

Recently, (like two months ago recent LOL) I went on vacation to Oklahoma and found that their accent is different than mine. Before you laugh at how that should have been obvious it always surprises me. No, seriously. Bear with me here.

When you think about people who are born American speakers (can’t technically call it English can I now?) we all grew up learning the exact same words. We literally speak the same language and yet…we have different slang words and different accents. I did a bit of research but couldn’t find a solid or similar answer, the most probable explanation being that group of people learnt a different language first. That is true in some respects, I mean, every language has their accent, own slang or variations of a very similar language. Take Spanish for example, many of the words are said and pronounced the same but have entirely different meanings and accents when they say the exact same word.

Looking at it logically I can see no real reason for them, they simply appeared (or maybe I am missing some crucial piece of the puzzle). Either way I find accents unbearably lovely. I myself have an accent (Canadian) and find that while I speak with an American accent and slang I often switched back and forth. And when I stayed in Oklamhoma I found myself adapting to their accent and slang with startling ease. Honestly I didn’t realize it till my little brother made fun of me for it on the way back home T_T

Anyhow, that aside, I think perhaps it has do with how we use phonetics. When I lived in Canada and when I was in Oklahoma the way things were sound out were entirely different even if the book said it to be pronounced the same way. Strange but that’s how it was. That and different words taken from different cultures have much to do with it. It makes me wonder if maybe there is some truth in the bible story. I’m not religious and don’t know how many of you are but at one point someone read me one of the stories from it about how we all had the same language but God had everyone speak in a different language so they could not continue to build a tower or something of the sort to the Heavens. 9Forgive me if I messed that up entirely, it’s been a long time since I was told the story and I don’t mean to offend). To me, even if I do not believe it, it does make a lot of sense, someone does not necessarily have to speak a different language to be misunderstood but by giving everyone a different language all at once and people trying to pronounce words as they hear them in other languages and converting them into their own it would explain a lot about accents.

Either way that’s my thoughts on the matter, care to share yours?
Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Vondra Valencia on July 26th, 2012, 2:50 am

The Ramblings of a Writer

Ray Bradbury said ‘you fail only if you stop writing’ but I have to agree to disagree. At times I think some stories would be better if a writer stopped writing, though technically I have no room what-so-ever to make such a claim. But we each have our favorite author and those we find…less than stellar. And the same could be said for my own writing, I shall admit, it’s not piss poor, at least I would hope not but decidedly lacking in…something.

I read other writings, both in Mizahar and outside of it and I find other stories drag me in while mine do not seem to. I become aggravated when they fall flat. I suppose it comes with practice or finding my right voice and style but one can still become deflated when their work seems to fall short of what they wish it to be.

All the same, writing is a passion I’m sure we all share, whether it is here on Miz or elsewhere and I find I cannot stop even if at times I think I should. It is something one can truly enjoy, even if it is like this ramble and only states simple things without solid foundation. It’s a feeling, feelings can be conveyed in words and sometimes they are much too strong to be shown at all. I suppose there is always a story to be written though and sometimes the straight facts are a part of a story too, I can only hope to improve.

But I’m sure you’ve all had your ups and downs of writing as well, comparing a weakness or flaw in your own writing then pining it against someone who is strong in that respect. Maybe you too even wanted to throw your pen or computer out a window and then tap dance on its proverbial grave (okay, that one may be just me) but I’m sure you all found inspiration again. And I don’t mean from writings block but from your own mind telling you, to be frank, that you suck. Be as that may I no longer have a clue of what I am speaking but I suppose I just want to say now that if you ever feel the need to quit, don’t. Even that simple sentence of ‘he opened the door…’ or ‘life’s a…’ (well, you know) could turn out be wonderful or get out whatever it is your trying to convey.

This short write seems to have lost its original purpose of me arguing with Bradybury’s quote and trying to prove it false. Obviously he knows what he is talking about or I just persuaded my fickle self yet again LOL

Notice: Hey all, apologies for any delay's, my computer freezes a lot but posting shouldn't take any longer than a week!
Vondra Valencia
Player

Words: 39439
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2012, 11:21 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 26th, 2012, 3:13 am

You should read this excerpt from a writer named Anne Lamont, Shitty First Drafts.

She talks about how even professional writers struggle. Sometimes the words don't flow. Sometimes you're not happy with them (or want to kill them with fire).

Sometimes, you need to just churn through the hard times. This is advice I could give to anyone who ever struggles with writer's block, has trouble figuring out how to write a post, or anything. You can start by just forcing it... throw sludge onto the page, if that's what it takes. Write, just to write, until you find that "sweet spot" where you get drawn in, where its GOOD.

And then you can always revise. Go back, cut the parts you didn't like entirely, or rewrite them.

Because even professional writers sometimes feel like they suck. The difference between the ones that succeed and the ones that fail isn't just about talent... its about determination, pushing through, and not getting discouraged.

I've got some old threads I just think are garbage. But I keep writing. Because every once in awhile, I write a thread so moving that I make myself cry.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Asher Salvatore Arc on July 28th, 2012, 5:50 pm

I read that link and it was hilariousness. And I can agree with that, there are a few posts I really enjoyed writing with my PCs >.< Though usually I find myself rewriting my posts several times and still glaring at them LOL But the one I post is usually much longer than the original...ah, well.

And just for the heck of it, everyone have some ear candy. Because Placebo=ear smex of yum :nod:

Asher Salvatore Arc
The Doctor Is In

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal