Sentient Beings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Sentient Beings

Postby Amina on July 18th, 2012, 2:31 pm

So my character's an Esterian Symenestra who worships Viratas. When a sentient being is killed I would like to say a blessing over it.

But are animals considered sentient in Mizahar? I know that it can go either way in the real world, but what about here? My character's a bit of a softie, so she'll probably say it anyways, but I just want to be accurate.

What do you guys think?
Amina
All our blood runs red.

Words: 4099
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2012, 5:26 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Sentient Beings

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 18th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Well, it depends what you mean by "Sentient Beings."

The textbook definition is a living creature that has the capacity to think or feel. Thus, plants are not sentient, but animals are. Animals might not have the same complexity of thoughts and emotions as humans, but they have the capacity.

But some people more specifically mean beings with the capacity for a sense of self, or human-like awareness.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)