The Start Of A Journey...

Daroth, a young Jamouran, setting out for the first time, runs into some trouble...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 6:49 am

Day 5, Summer of year 512 AV

The forest was full of noise, as always. Daroth scratched at his muscled chest, as he plodded along, making little noise in the familiar jungle terrain. He was a few miles out of The Spires, having gone there for supplies after leaving his family a day or so before. The nearly eight foot ape-like man tightened the strap on his pack, and then continued, his padded feet crunching over the fallen leaves and roots.

It wasn't for another mile that the Jamouran realized that something was wrong. The birds quieted, and the few creatures he did see were running away from him. Odd. Then suddenly he understood why.

He heard the yipping sounds first. He slowed, eyes narrowing, and the Jamouran, usually a peaceful creature, felt his honed fighting senses start to emerge. The growling was odd, out of place, and something he had heard only once.

Some fifty years ago as the man aged, Darosh had seen a collection of odd animals that a human who had settled in the SPire had brought with him. Wolves from Avanthal. Their fur was shorn short so they would not overheat in the warmer climate, and the small pack, led by a large Dire creature, had been held in reinforced steel cages. The Jamouran had not enjoyed seeing caged animals, but it was not his place to force the man to release them. Plus, the wolves would have died in the unfamiliar environments.

However, the Jamouran had been wrong. Only a week after his arrival, the man's cage had been tampered with, and the wolves escaped. The wily creatures have been here since spring, and no one had been able to capture them.

Until now. The Jamouran sighed and turned his head, trying to locate the source of the growling. A pair of yellow eyes appeared in the foliage, and the Jamouran turned and bellowed a challenge. He bounded on his bare chest with his powerful hands, and snarled loudly. THe wolf's eyes never disappeared, or even blinked, and the Jamouran, a little discouraged, looked confused.

Then they struck. Their had been five wolves in that group, including the Dire alpha, and he now knew where three were, at least. One hiding in the bush, and two more leaping at him. He only knew this because one of them suddenly darted out of the brush behind him and clamped a jaw on his thigh, and the other leapt onto his back.

Darosh snarled in anger and pain, the sharp teeth biting into his leg drawing lines of blood. THe wolf, small even by it's own species' standards, had bit into his thigh, his jaw extended too far to get enough power, so his teeth dug in only half an inch or so, stinging more than crippling. THe Jamouran decided to deal with the other first, grabbing it before it could find a firm grip (it's first bite bit only the thick fur at the base of the Ape-man's neck). His hands shot up, grabbed the wolf by the scruff of the neck and tossed him across the way, into the bushes with the other wolf. The eyes had long since disappeared, but it was worth a try. Then his fist came down, back handing the other wolf across the face. THe creature was launched back a few feet, and the Jamouran was moving immediately. He ran for a thick tree, and spun around just in time, putting his back to the large bloodwood tree.

He came around just in time for two wolves, two larger ones than the previous two, coming at him, lunging for him. He drove his hand forward quickly, his fingers drawn together and curled so his strike hit with the middle knuckles of his tough fingers, instead of the wide expanse of his fist. THe hit slammed into the face of one lunging creature, shattering it's skull under the incredible impact, a sound like the cracking of a boulder. Unfortunately, the strike opened him up to the other creature, who landed in front of the Jamouran and lunged forward, biting at his leg again. The same leg, only this time the bite closed on the back of his calf, driving it's fangs deep into the muscle on the back of his leg.

The Jamouran howled and kicked, dislodging the creature but doing no real damage. He gingerly put his foot down, bracing himself against the tree for support as the wolf circled back, meeting up with the small one from before, the little creature eyeing the blood flowing from Darosh' leg wound, the one he had thrown across the path, and, behind them, a creature three times their size, six feet at the shoulder and almost ten feet long...
Last edited by Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darosh
Retired Staff

Words: 6904
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2012, 7:24 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Qwet Ikram on July 21st, 2012, 7:44 am

Qwet sat, staring curiously at the multi-colored bird in the branches before him. He was apparently as odd a site to the bird as it was to him, for it never once broke eye contact with him, staring him down with the blank gaze normally associated with birds. He twitched his bear claws as he pondered the nature of the bird; he had not seen one yet in his travels so he knew little of its propriety of violence or its territorial nature. Suddenly, an odd sound broke his concentration. He strained his ears, hoping to hear more of the phantom noise. There it was again, in the distance, the unmistakable high pitched yelp of a wolf. Forfeiting victory to the bird, he turned and stalked off to investigate the noises. No wolves traveled into the jungles; none that he knew of at least. Perhaps he would meet a stray pack, wandering far from home just as he did.

Small animals scattered before his massive, furry form as he nimbly crossed the jumble of roots and shrubs that littered the forest floor. Moving around a rather large tree, he spotted a most peculiar site; A Jamouran male, apparently locked in heated battle with a pack of wiry furred wolves. He roared his best challenge, stomping out into the small clearing and making his presence known to all within. A large Dire immediately turned to face him, the two locking eyes in a silent challenge.
Rising up on his hind legs, Qwet bellowed out another challenge, never breaking eye contact with the Dire Alpha of the pack. Teeth bared, the insolent wolf stepped forward a few steps, and never knew its doom as he fell down upon it, locking his jaws on the back of it's neck and, jaw muscles bulging, teared out a rather large section of spine. Spitting out the gory mess, Qwet scanned around for his next victim.

Another large specimen leaped at him, clamping its jaws around his right fore-paw and swinging it's head vigorously. Crying out in pain, Qwet seemed to melt away in a cloud of smoke, sliding his arm out of the jaws of the wolf as it reformed into a humanoid shape. Without giving the wolf a chance to react, the now naked Human Qwet slammed both his hands on top of the wolf's skull, and drove his knee into the soft fur just behind the wolfs jaw, crushing its windpipe and spilling it into a gasping heap on the ground. Peering around for more combatants, Qwet reached down and grasped the wolf's head firmly. With a sickening crunch, he snapped the wolfs neck and dropped its now lifeless form into the dust.
Qwet Ikram
Player

Words: 4961
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2012, 5:36 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 7:53 am

The sudden arrival of a large black bear surprised the Jamouran, as well as the wolves. They froze and glanced at the new creature, blinking stupidly, and, in a flash, the dire wolf, the msot dangerous foe, was dead. Not wishing to push his luck, Darosh bellowed a charge, using the howl to focus passed his pain, and pounced on the smaller of the three remaining wolves. His massive arms clubbed it hard, the wooden bracers he wore doing additional damage to the creature. It's skull shattered as easily as the first creatures under the brutal impacts.

It was at about that time that the other wolf charged at the gore-encrusted bear. THat leaft one wolf to face with the Jamouran...and it didn't like it's odds. It turned and ran, and the Jamouran, disgusted with himself and with the act he was about to commit grabbed the wolf by the tail and swung it bodily into the air, and down with a splat onto the ground. It howled in pain as it's ribs cracked, but a massive, leathery foot stomped onto it's neck, and the creatures struggles were no more.

The Jamouran turned to the now-human-shaped bear, and blinked at the creature. He was nude, which told the knowledgeable Jamouran that he was Kelvic, not a shape-shifter. The mighty ape bowed his head and spoke out in his deep, guttural voice.

"I thank you, mighty Bear. Without your arrival I would have surely died."
Darosh
Retired Staff

Character sheet

Postby Qwet Ikram on July 21st, 2012, 8:10 am

Untying his black pants from around his neck and slipping them onto his legs, Qwet silently appraised the Jamouran for many moments before responding. "Thanks are not necessary, it was not a fair fight, so i intervened. My name is Qwet, I'm a traveler of these parts and found myself here on a whim. It is unusal to find wolves in these parts, do you know something of their origin?" As he spoke, he bent down to the bleeding corpse of the Dire wolf and, tearing viciously into the raw meat, begins to eat the body.

Speaking between mouthfuls of raw, bloody flesh, he continues "I have been all across our lands and have never met any creature like you, are there more of you? or are you like me, stuck somewhere between man and beast?" Rivulets of blood drip down his jaw and slide across the puffy scar across his throat, dripping onto his feet and soaking the ground around him with a deep red puddle. After finishing off a good portion of the beasts upper body, he grabs the back haunches and, Corded muscles standing at attention like soldiers, tears one of the legs from the beast.
Qwet Ikram
Player

Character sheet

Postby Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 8:20 am

"Regardless, I give them freely." The Jamouran had no qualms about the nudity or the sudden devouring of flesh, products of living his entire life naked and in the jungle, respectively. So he leaned against the tree not out of disgust, but because his injured leg sent a lance of pain up his body, as if reminding him of his injury. He was no healer, but he knew enough...

He flopped into the dirt with a loud thump, and pulled the bleeding leg into his lap, staining his new pants, purchased to preserve the modesty of other people, and reached down, using a claw to tear a strip off of the end of his shorts. This made the garment look lopsided, but the jamouran cared not. He tied the make-shift bandage tight around the wound, stemming the blood flow, for now.

He then looked down at the mutilated corpse of the mauled dire wolf. "As for the wolves...I believe they escaped from a....a zoo? I suppose that is the word. Some human brought them with him, and they escaped. No one had been able to locate the creatures."

As he worked, he spoke. "Well met, traveling Kelvic, Qwet. I am Darosh. A Jamouran. We are not a reclusive race, but one must know what to look for to find our homes. What brings you to these parts, though? Why, you are practically at the door step of The Spires!" He laughed loudly. "Only maybe four miles to the east lie the Jamouran city, nestled high in the trees. And no, I was born like this, and I will look like this far into the future."
Darosh
Retired Staff

Character sheet

Postby Qwet Ikram on July 21st, 2012, 8:34 am

Qwet deftly swung the leg up into a tree, hanging it so that the blood may drain freely and quickly. Ignoring the apes statements, he begins with "That wound does not look so great, but let me inspect it just to be sure" He approached the Jamouran cautiously, shoulders tight and eyes darting around skeptically. He kneeled down before the ape and, running his fingers lightly along the torn flesh, nodded knowingly. "It appears to be a very shallow wound, we should find some water quickly to clean it, else you risk infection. Perhaps we should travel back to your home, do you think you can move in this condition?"

Qwet stood up and licked the blood from his fingers, all the while eyeing the Jamouran like a child. "You obviously can not handle things yourself, i shall accompany you till such a time as i deem you fit to travel alone." He reached forward, offering the ape a hand. "My pack is back a ways, allow me to grab it, and we can be on our way."
Qwet Ikram
Player

Character sheet

Postby Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 8:41 am

The jamouran allowed him to inspect the injury, untieing it for a moment. "I was going to head back and seek the help of a healer anyway. I would have to agree with you." He took the hand and used it to pull himself to his feet. The grip of that hand told Darosh much of his new ally, the most of which was that he was strong and sure. A fight with this one would be unadvisable.

Darosh rested against the tree a moment, and nodded in response. "Once more, I offer my thanks, friend Qwet. I shall wait for you here." The Jamouran was indeed grateful. He had rushed out foolishly, thinking that a life in the jungle had prepared him for traveling alone. But hunting was different when alone, carrying a pack with supplies and such. And there was no one to watch his back.

The Jamouran recalled a number of times now where his curiosity and lack of foresight would have killed him if not for a more alert member of the hunting unit. It would be good to have someone at his side who could protect his flank.
Darosh
Retired Staff

Character sheet

Postby Qwet Ikram on July 21st, 2012, 8:51 am

"You travel the path before you, but your eyes should always be on the sights around" Qwet said as he stalked off to look for his pack. Finding it a few minutes later, he returned to the Jamouran with a hopeful look in his sleepy eyes. "I have spent most of my days searching for someone with whom I could place my trust, you seem just naive enough to be that person." He reached under the apes arm and pulled it to it's feet, settling it about his shoulders while he continued. "We kelvic often seek people under which we can serve; while I have never understood this practice, I would be very pleased if I could be allowed to mentor you in the ways of the forest and the beasts." His eyes sparkled with an inner hope and an almost childish glee as he spoke the words, glancing occasionally at the jamouran's injured leg as he led him out of the glade.
Qwet Ikram
Player

Character sheet

Postby Darosh on July 21st, 2012, 9:01 am

The Jamouran pondered those words for a few moments, and felt that they were wise, wise words. This bear man who'd known him minutes had pinned his problem immediately. He was too focused on one route. Darosh tested his weight on the injured leg a few times as he waited. The pain was great, but manageable. He'd be able to walk, albeit more slowly than usual.

When The kelvic returned, Darosh noted the odd shift in his personality. The man had been cold and brutal, a blood-thirsty animal only moments ago, and now he seemed an excited child, eager for something to play with. The jamouran, having some knowledge but little experience with Kelvics, figured it was some off-shoot of the Kelvic need to serve someone. When Qwet spoke, the Jamouran mentally patted himself on the back for his astute observations.

"YOur companionship and skills would be much appreciated on my travels. Once more, Qwet the traveling Kelvic, I thank you." He felt his interest peeked about this quest of his. "First, though, you must turn to the south, you are going too far to the north.

As they walked, with the bear-like man aiding him, he walked faster. Not as fast as he would have if he were healthy, but faster than if he had been on his own. Which was a good thing. The carrion eaters in this jungle were sometimes bigger than the predators, so it was good that they were gone from this place so quickly.

Darosh did not walk in silence. "Tell me of your quest, Qwet." He asked politely. "I may know something or someone who can help us when we get back to the Spires."
Darosh
Retired Staff

Character sheet

Postby Qwet Ikram on July 21st, 2012, 9:15 am

Tapping the shredded end of the wolf leg against his chin, Qwet pondered quietly for a long while as he adjusted his route to move them along in the right direction. "First things first," he spat "Enough with the Thanks, i'm a man not a god, I do not ask for praise or favors."

"I Travel the world in search of a place I have seen in my dream, a great waterfall admist an ancient forest. I believe a great evil will be birthed at this place, and I must become strong enough to stop it." He said these words in a predatory growl, fires alighting in his eyes at the prospect of his goal. A few times he would pause in his gait, craning his neck and closing his eyes to hear a far off noise, or sniffing curiously for a moment before continuing on. "Tell me of your drive, Darosh, I would know what caused a" he paused for a moment, a look of confusion flashing across his features "man, such as yourself to wander off into the wilderness alone."
Qwet Ikram
Player

Character sheet

Next