An Eye for Horseflesh

Caehli // In which Sama'el considers the herds of the Galesong pavilion.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 24th, 2012, 7:10 pm

70th Summer, 512 A.V.

Though he had come to Endrykas two years previous a relative unknown save for those who knew the sorry story of his pavilion's massacre a decade previous, the young Watchman had earned some renown since his return. He had proven an able enough warrior despite his exile to earn a place on the Watch, had taken to the Web like a fish to water, and had become a horseman to rival the horseclans' best. But he was still Sama'el no-name. Of the Watch, of the Sapphire Clan, but he had yet to say his pavilion's name again before the Ankals and elders, claiming its right to exist and his right to lead it.

He had left Endrykas the year previous with Syna's mark on his face, returned leaner and harder, with a bruise-like bear paw on his shoulder, and whispered rumors of his curse by the Bear Goddess. His wife was dead, their child born a bear cub. But still he did his job, strong and proud as any Drykas could wish to be.

Indeed, as he rode up to the Galesong pavilion, he had cleaned himself properly from his latest circuit of the Sea of Grass, bits of blue flashing among his clothes to denote his Clan, his hair plaited into short braids to keep it out of his face. There was a kindness and joy to his face, though it was dampened by recent griefs. His skin was bronzed from sun and travel, his arms bare in the summer heat. The gods' graffiti was plain and any Drykas who listened to the stories that went around could likely guess his name.

His golden Strider mare shone in the sunlight as if her hide were gilt with gold. He would tell stories about her if people asked, how she had come to him out of the teeth of one of Zulrav's storms while he and his companions battled glassbeaks and wolves for shelter. He stopped a polite distance from the pavilion, planted his hands on Dohaina's back to lift his hips off the yvas, then tucked his shoulder strangely, taking an acrobatic tumble to land surely on his feet. Such little things impressed small children, anyway.

He was tall, but that was mitigated by standing next to a fifteen hand high horse.

"Ho, Galesongs!" he called, not entering their pavilion without an invitation. "I've come to look at your herds!"
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 24th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Caehli hummed to herself as she carried her bucket of fresh creek water .Earlier this morning she had went out on a ride to dodge the weaving lessons her father requested she took.It must have been a sign of approval from the gods because she had found a bubbling fresh creek in the grass as treasure token.Caehli was minding to not spill a drop of the cool water when giggles of delight stole her attention.Children that were at play clamored in awe of a man that rode into their encampment. Now only twenty yards away he stood at her father's pavillion his back facing Caehli. This piqued her interest and stalked forward quietly because she wished not to scare the rider's horse, after all she had approached it from behind.

"Ho, Galesongs! I've come to look at your herds!"

In the back of her mind she recalled her father mentioning that someone was interested in the herd but Caehli obviously wasn't paying good attention because his name stole away from her at the moment. With her free hand she pushed back her dark hair away as she eased herself closer to the man's back.He was tall and lean she yearned to see his face and learn his name.She was also keen to hear this man's adventures, Caehli was desperate to hear about something outside the encampment.

"Greetings sir..." She called out to him in her friendly chirp " Ganta Galesong is away at the moment but I'm sure will be back soon, I am Caehli Galesong, daughter of Ganta " A soft giggle left her lips because this was a little too formal for her liking. It always made her laugh to use such formalities when a "hello" would also suit her just fine. However she understood that some things such as formal tongue couldn't be changed.

Special thanks to Gale McCenry for this supermegaawesomefoxyhot signature.
Caehli Galesong
Player

Words: 51148
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2012, 6:57 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 26th, 2012, 6:33 am

He half-turned to smile bemusedly at Caelhi. The children's giggles made him smile, but there was something sad about it, his dark, almond-shaped eyes a bit haunted and set in dark circles, though he looked fit enough. He nodded respectfully to her; she looked to be about his age, but this was her pavilion and not his.

"Well met, Caelhi Galesong," he said, replying as formally as she began the exchange. "I am Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan." His pavilion was still dead, and he would not speak its name until he raised its banner again before Ankals and elders. But people were beginning to know about Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan, Sama'el of the Watch.

"I do not wish to enter his pavilion without his permission. Do you expect him back soon or should I try another day?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 26th, 2012, 6:58 pm

Caehli's smile spread into a warm grin " Well met Sama'el of the Sapphire Clan!".It certainly was well met, Caehli heard tales of Sama'el and it pleased her greatly to meet him in person.It was best to hide her child-like excitement and she tried her best to remain cool. "Yes I'm sure my father will be back soon" she assured "Once he hears word that you have arrived...and that I have returned" she added under her breath. After disappearing today she was sure to get a hard lecture from her father.She wasn't looking forward to his lecture but she had a valuable reason for skipping her silly weaving lessons.Her eyes fell back upon Sama'el's, she noted how tired he looked. "Are you sure you do not want to rest yourself? You and your horse must have had a long hard ride. "

Caehli Galesong
Player

Character sheet

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 28th, 2012, 5:00 am

"Oh, if it would not offend him to have me here when he is away..." In fact, sitting down and having a bite to eat would go quite well for him. "If you were to invite me, I would not turn down your hospitality, though. We had a good night's sleep, but we rode a hard circuit the two days previous. I'm not as young as I used to be."

He smiled at that, still quite young, of course, but then the men of the Drykas didn't have the longest life expectancy, especially those fearsome few who maintained the Web and the safety of the horseclans on the Watch.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 29th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Caehli shook her head and chuckled, if he was "not as young as he used to be" then she must be ancient. Caehli opened the pavillion tent flap " Please rest yourself inside, I promise you it will not offend my father if you step inside" she urged."We also have a trough...for your horse that is" she grinned "You arrived at the perfect moment too I was just about to fill it up!" She indicated to her bucket of water.
Last edited by Caehli Galesong on July 30th, 2012, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caehli Galesong
Player

Character sheet

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 30th, 2012, 4:43 am

"I'll help," he offered, and started toward the trough. Dohaina followed him; if they were not at a place she recognized as their camp, she followed him until told to stay or do something else. He had her well trained, but she was also a rather intelligent beast.

He held out his hand for the bucket, happy to carry it for her. Serving his people on the Watch was rewarding, but it was equally rewarding to help with little things, the little kindnesses that one showed another member of the horseclans. And it didn't hurt she was pretty, though his heart was a bit too raw to think too much on that now. Still, he wouldn't mind a drink and a few words with her before he looked at the horses.

When they got to the trough, he easily lifted the bucket and poured in the water. It wasn't quite filled, so he held his hand over the trough and called to Makutsi in his heart. She didn't answer with rain, but his hand began to glow with a bluish fire that didn't burn, but instead began to transmute into Water, the which was added to the ready collection. Dohaina didn't wait for an invitation, but shouldered between them to take a drink. His free hand slapped her withers.

"Greedy beast," he accused, but as soon as he had the trough full, he chuckled. "Shall we go inside, then?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 30th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Caehli followed Sama'el secretly pleased at his chivalry, it was afterall the duty of The Watch. Nonetheless it was a kind gesture and she appreciated it. She watched the golden horse follow after her master, it reminded Caehli of duckling and a mother duck however Caehli neglected to tell Sama'el this.

When he placed his hand over the half full trough a blue flame emitted from his palm and the water began to multiply. An audible delighted gasp left her lips as he performed one of his gifts as a blessed Watchmen. "Incredible!" she mused but followed the comment with laughter at the mare " Greedy no not at all! I would be tired too if I had to carry someone on my back!" Then indicated with her chin at her own horse trotting over to the trough. Din a proud dun colored horse always felt the right to first of everything. "That there is a greedy beast!" she exclaimed and her horse snorted at her in reply.It was almost as if Din understood what Caehli had said. "There's room enough for both of you!" she scolded at Din before nodding at Sama'el suggestion. "Yes let's go inside" she chided.

Caehli dipped under the tent flap and was welcomed by the dark coolness of the pavillion. The pavillion was very clean only due to the fact her father preferred it that way. Caehli lit a couple lamps before turning to Sama'el "I imagine you'd like something to drink..." she said as she hung the lamps on hooks embedded on the poles of the pavillion. "We have wine if you'd like a some" she offered kindly. Once he had sat down and was comfortable Caehli planned to ask him of his travels. Just to ease her own curiosity and sate her desire to see the world herself.

Caehli Galesong
Player

Character sheet

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 31st, 2012, 5:18 am

He smiled at her reaction; though he tried to be modest, he was proud to have learned to mimic Eldon's dowsing. Water was important, imperative for life, and during the hottest months, often difficult to come by. Now he could create it out of thin air or, rather, out of his soul stuff. But his pavilion, when it was reborn, need never die of thirst unslaked.

The horses kept him smiling, and Dohaina sidestepped daintily as any dancer to make room for Caehli's own. Then they were sinking into the cool gloom of the pavilion proper.

"Watered wine, please," he said politely. "I can't afford to drink before a possible purchase of horses. That would be unwise."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Eye for Horseflesh

Postby Caehli Galesong on July 31st, 2012, 11:39 pm

Caehli laughed at the thought of the calm Sama'el making a mistake.He seemed like the type of person that knew what he was doing, a person who had a plan.Very unlike Caehli who always did as she pleased, to be honest she truly admired him for that. She poured said drink and handed it to him "Please make yourself at home" she poured herself her own drink "I imagine my father will be here any minute now" she said . Then in uncontainable curiosity her eyes met his "Tell me what was it like seeing all of Mizahar" . Her keen stare was unwavering.

Caehli Galesong
Player

Character sheet

Next