Blind Telescope (Solo)

Making a model without lenses as a prototype for Seven Xu's telescope.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Blind Telescope (Solo)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on September 18th, 2012, 12:46 am

"I thought I told you not to take them apart?" Cyril asked her.

"But ya said what fer I should fix it!" Tock protested, frowning deeply.

"But I didn't say you could take them apart!"

"Well 'ow ELSE is I s'posed ta does it!?" Tock asked, throwing her arms up in the air. "Look, Guv," she planted a finger against Cyril's chest, "I's the prof'ssional, aye? I done gots 'er all worked out! So quitcher yappin', cause I's done, aye?"

"D-done?" Cyril asked, watching as she re-screwed the eyepieces back into place. "But... you haven't done anything!" He checked the telescope, peering through it and adjusting the focus to confirm that there was no change from before.

"Ya need a wider eyepiece fer better focus," she told him. "Git a new piece, an' she's been right shiny!" She grabbed her notes and recorded everything she'd learned, then proceeded to go around the room and make measurements of the eyepieces on each telescope. She looked through each one, aiming them at the same patch of the sky, noting how much magnification she saw on each star, approximately how focused it was, and a comparison of this information to the width of the eyepiece. With this information, instead of just making her telescope as a duplication of one of the existing designs, she could actually modify her design. She had a better understanding now of how the mechanisms worked, and that was crucial to making something unique and original, instead of just copying what she had already seen. Along with further study of the books she took from the library, she would have a much better chance of creating an original, functional design.

With everything complete, she gathered up her books, her notes, and her model. The final telescope would now be a fair bit different from the model, but the model had still proved a good bit of practice. Not that she would ever admit that to Marcus.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)