[Flashback] Of Those Who Went Before Us

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Khiara on May 18th, 2010, 12:49 pm

10th Day Of Spring, Year 508.

Endless dusk filled the skies over Avanthal, punctuated every evening time by the rich and captivating Aurora. Around the great ice city wind swirled and snow howled in a thick impenetrable cloud. The temperature dropped below anything humanely survivable and huge icebergs floated in the ocean. Any sane creature wouldn't pick the white wasteland to live in, not when lush tropical oasis' existed further south. Yet, deep inside the gale force blizzard, music could be heard. As the ear moved closer, the music would become louder, and a large dwelling covered in snow would appear, an orange glow faintly peeking out of a closed door. Inside, the howling winds abruptly stopped, and the music became almost as loud. There, inside the satisfyingly warm Hold, people sang and laughed and danced. Good wine and warm food filled all bellies, and children ran between adults, screaming and giggling, whilst elders laughed and reminisced of times long gone and friends long lost. In the centre of the Hold, a large cooking hearth burned low, keeping people warm and food even warmer. Off to the rear young men wooed pretty young women with sweet nothings and cups of wine. Love, life and laughter filled the whole Hold - brought by the ties of survival in such a harsh place.

"And then, with a whistle so loud it echoed right to the Hold of the Goddess, Ineeka called to Chdenk. Like a ghost in the blizzard, the great white Stallion appeared to rescue her. Pawing his way through the heavy snowfall, Chdenk lowered his head and allowed Ineeka to grab his thick mane, lifting her out of the crevice." Khiara leaned forward as she spoke, eyes wide and a rich violet. Around her sat a group of children, spattered ages from two moons right up to twelve, all captivated by her tale. The older ones had heard it before hundreds of times, but they enjoyed listening to the young woman's tales. It was what she did, and therefore, always a treat. As she spoke, the vantha flicked her gaze upward at the young man leaning against one of the load poles, grinning his adoring grin and green eyes flashing almost lime in the firelight. Smiling back, she looked at the children.

"Taking the young woman through the blizzard, Chdenk brought her safely home, and was never again dubbed 'The Lazy Stallion'. And Ineeka learned that even in the deepest cold, the ice can still hold dangerous secrets to those who do not head the wisdom of their elders." Pausing, she eyed each enraptured face carefully before waving her hands.

"Go go, eat more food till your stomachs groan! I will tell you another story tomorrow." Standing to a chorus of disappointed moans, Khiara moved towards the green eyed youth and crossed her arms.

"And what amuses you so, Eliac Windcaller?" She said, one eyebrow raised. The youth laughed light-heartedly, his roguish black hair braided back out of his eyes, the green highlights in it dancing iridescently. Shrugging, he looked around.

"Of all the fun things to do, I find you here entertaining the children - again. Khiara, you need to think of yourself sometimes!" Scoffing, the girl rolled her eyes.

"I like to do it, their smiles entertain me. Besides, at least I'm not running off to woo the girls near the fire. Not like some of us?" Khiara gave him a suspicious stare, causing Eliac to laugh again and push away from the pole, reaching to take her hands in his.

"Khiara, there is only one girl here I intend to woo...and no other will compare." Looking deeply into her eyes for what felt like eternity, he finally chuckled, reaching into his pocket and removing something small and delicate. Lifting it to his nose, Eliac smelt gently, then moved it to Khiara, twirling it in his fingers. It was a tiny pink wild flower, as bright and as fresh as a spring rose. Mouth falling slightly ajar, the girl took the flower and smelt it.

"How did you find it?" She asked softly, patting one of the small petals. Eliac smiled, delighted at her reaction.

"I grew it in a pot, inside my hold. It didn't look like it was going to make it...but then.." He left it at that. Sniffing the small flower again, Khiara avoided his gaze.

"Your going out again, aren't you? She stated, her tone conveying her concern. She worried about the young man when he hunted, and it seemed like he was being asked more and more. It was true - now Eliac was coming into manhood he was considered a valuable addition to the hunting parties. Particularly the fishing boats. To many horror stories reached Khiara's ears, and the thoughts of the young man out on the water terrified her. Sighing, Eliac lifted her chin.

"Khiara, its important. You cant expect me to stay home and carve for our food." The violet eyed girl looked at him with a lopsided grin.

"Our food?" Eliac couldn't help but grin back, cheeks reddening.

"Well, we're both eighteen moons now...and time isn't slowing down. I see Nanuk and Lurti have already wed, and she's got a belly full of baby. It seems appropriate if we...if I..." The young fisherman cleared his throat awkwardly as Khiara smirked.

"Eliac Windrunner, are you saying you want to marry me?" The very word sent an excited thrill through her veins, and the sheepish look on Eliacs face confirmed it.

"Of course that's what I'm saying. As soon as I come back, I'm going to talk to your parents, and we will have a spring wedding." Khiara shook her head in disbelief, before throwing her arms around the boy and kissing his soundly on the lips. Around them, lingering children giggled and adults looked at each other knowingly.

As the night wore on, and the wine flowed, Khiara and Eliac danced and sang. They had known each other since they were children, and their love was strengthened by friendship and familiarity. Soul mates, her parents had announced. Made for each other. Later in the evening, when the children had fallen asleep where they'd fallen and the fire was low, Khiara lay in Eliac's arms, resting on his chest and watching the embers glow. She was tipsy, tiered and full. Sleepily, she yawned. Eliac stroked her hair gently.

"You need to sleep Khiara. Its late." The brunette shook her head stubbornly.

"No, i don't want to miss a minute with you." Turning, she looked at Eliac with concerned eyes.

"Please don't go tomorrow. I have a bad feeling about it." Smiling drowsily, the young man hugged her.

"Its a great honour to be invited on the first whale hunt of the season. I cant say no. Besides, it will be fine. It always is." Khiara frowned, shaking her head.

"No Eliac. This is different. I feel it in my heart. Stay please, say your nagging woman begged you. Go on the next one. Please?" She sounded so genuinely worried, that for a moment the boy almost agreed. But then he knew what the result would be. The taunting was the least of it. Holding her head with both hands, the young fisherman kissed her softly, gently, lingering for as long as he could. Pulling away, he smiled.

"You will see, it will be alright Khiara. And you will feel silly for worrying so." Tired and unable to fight any more, Khiara sighed and lay against him again.

"I hope your right Eliac. I truly do."
Last edited by Khiara on May 20th, 2010, 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Khiara
Player

Words: 166009
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Khiara on May 19th, 2010, 12:56 pm

11th Day Of Spring, Year 508

"Eliac I'm begging you, please don't go!" The young woman's voice held a note of fear and desperation as she followed the youth around his Hold, not helping him to pack anything. In fact, when he turned his back she would pull something from his pack and throw it aside. Catching her the last time, Eliac shot her a stern look, before picking up the warm over shirt and stuffing it back in.

"Khiara, I've told you already, I'm going to be fine. It's the first hunt of the season and the weather is perfect! How can you be so worried?" Lifting the backpack, he slung it over his shoulder. Adjusting his fur lined hood and picking up his harpoon, the young hunter smiled at her.

"When I come back with a big fat whale, will you cheer for me?" The golden eyed woman sighed heavily, resting her hands on his shoulders. She stared into his shifting green and gold eyes, willing him to listen to her.

"If you go, I fear your not coming back." Laughing, Eliac pulled her to him with his free arm, kissing her with a deep and yet unexplored passion. Breaking away reluctantly, he chuckled.

"I have to come back, lest I have the Goddess on my tail." The comment drew a small smile from Khiara, before she shook her head. Turning away from him, she gathered up her own coat, pulling it over her head and turning up the hood so thick fur lined her cheeks. As she pulled on her gloves, Eliac frowned.

"What are you doing?" Facing him, she placed her hands on her hips.

"I am seeing you off, down to the water. If you won't listen to me, maybe some of the older, wiser men will." The look of terror in Eliac's now golden eyes only made her more determined. Growling under his breath, the young man gave up and marched out of the Hold, with Khiara on his heels. As they crunched through the snow together, the girl racked her brain for something to say to the older hunters. They were just as stubborn as Eliac, if not more so, and it would be hard to convince them to stay. Time seemed to move too fast, and before she knew it, they were at the waters edge, where the hunters were packing the boats and the women were laughing and singing and wishing them well. Marching up to a blue eyed man, she tapped him on the arm, with Eliac cringing behind her.

"Talutk, the winds are dead today, and the sea calm. I feel in my heart, that this is not a good sign. There were no lights in the sky last night either. The Goddess does not want this to happen." The blue eyed man looked at Eliac for a moment, before smiling down at Khiara and placing a hand on her shoulder.

"You fear nothing but fear itself, young heart. The more you worry about your man here, the more you will fear he is to be harmed. Look at the other women here, they are happy and celebrating the hunt! You should enjoy yourself too." Khiara shook her head and opened her mouth to protest, but Talutk held up a hand.

"No, Khiara Snowsong. I do not want to hear it. Go, wish Eliac farewell and talk with the older women. You will see how they did it too their first time." Left frozen on the spot, the girl turned on Eliac, who smiled at her. But she had no smile for him. Grabbing him by the cheeks, she kissed him. His lips, his cheeks, his eyes and his nose. The girl seemed like she was taking in as much of him as she could, before she threw her arms around him, tears in her golden eyes.

"My heart goes with you, Goddess willing you return it." She said in a hoarse whisper, almost unable to speak. Eliac held her close, resting his cheek on her hair. Lifting his head, the young hunter pulled something from his pocket.

"Here, I wanted to give this to you last night, but you fell asleep." It was a necklace, made of carved beads of greens, violets and golds. Reaching up, he tied it around her neck, stroking the colourful beads.

"I love you, Khiara, and I will return to marry you." Swallowing the tears, Khiara nodded and sniffed.

"I love you too." She breathed. Moving to join the other women, she watched in silence as he packed his things onto the boats, before waving as he waved to her. Time slowed to almost a standstill, and Khiara stood watching the boats as they sailed away, little dots on the horizon, then gone. One by one, the other women began to go inside away from the cold.

"Come on Khiara, or you'll freeze." An older woman said gently, but the girl simply smiled at her.

"I'm fine, thank you. You go on without me." And so she waited, breath fogging up in the bitter cold. The time ticked on and on and on. Khiara paced up and down the snow covered beach, looking at the water endlessly, eyes a liquid stream of violet and gold. Rubbing her arms, hands shoved inside her pockets, she waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Then, she saw a dot, moving slowly towards the shore. Calling out loudly to the Hold, she sighed with relief. They were back! Eliac had been right, she was a fool. A stupid, childish fool. But as the speck drew closer, her smile faded. There was something wrong. Horribly wrong. As the other women came to the shore, she looked at them and saw a reflection of herself. The mast of the boat was broken, and the men looked ragged. Searching the boat as they pulled closer, she felt a weight drop in her stomach. Ignoring the icy water, she ran towards the boat, helping to pull it in as it hit the shallow bay. The men inside were wet and shivering. Talutk was the first to step off, wrapped quickly by the women waiting on the shore. Khiara looked again at the boat, then grabbed the mans arm. He looked at her with dull blue eyes.

"Where is he? Where is Eliac?" She asked in a shrill, broken tone. Talutk shivered, and took a breath. Khiara listened in horror, not able to believe it. Turning away from him, she stumbled from the water, pushing past empathetic arms. Reaching the snowy shore, she dropped to her knees with a keening wail, clutching her arms to her chest. It felt as though her soul had been torn apart.

And nothing could fix it.
Last edited by Khiara on May 20th, 2010, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Khiara on May 20th, 2010, 12:00 pm

2nd Day of Summer, Year 509

"But why Khiara? Why would you leave, where would you go?" The greying woman said in a pleading tone as she watched her daughter tying her travel roll to the northern saddle she'd strapped to Eliac's large white frostmarch, Vsenri. He was a beautiful horse, and known to travel well through the thick snowfall. Moving around the huge stallion, Khiara reached up to stroke his muzzle. The horse had suffered from Eliac's death almost as much as she had, fretting for his lost rider and barely eating. It had been debated whether to put the creature out of his misery, but after Khiara had emerged from her self, she'd quickly taken ownership of him. Time, patience and love had brought the white creature back again, and a bond had formed between the woman and the horse that only the two could share.

And it seemed, that was all.

Khiara found herself going through the motions with her Hold members, unable to bring herself fully out of her heartache. Everything everywhere reminded her of the young hunter, and the sad eyes and mumbled apologies only made it worse. Finally, she'd made a decision. It was time to leave this place. There was a whole world out there, surely she could find somewhere that she could just....

Just be.

"Mother, I have to go. I can't stay here any more. It's too hard. Besides, Mizahar is a big place. It would be good for me to see it. Vsenri will be with me." Pressing her forehead to the stallions, she moved away to gather the rest of her things. Standing in silence, her mother dabbed her eyes and sniffed.

"Your home is here. There are other men here, and people who love you. Out there, you will only get hurt." Stopping, Khiara moved to the grey woman and hugged her, before looking into eyes a dull turquoise.

"I love you mother, and I know you love me. But no other man will have my heart. Eliac took that with him, and didn't return it. I won't get hurt. Trust me." Swallowing hard, she whispered.

"I have to go." Giving the woman one last tight hug, she turned to Vsenri and lept onto the saddle in one smooth sweep. Picking up the reigns, she looked down at the woman.

"Tell father I love him too." There was no promise of return. She didn't have one to give. With a final nod, she spoke a word of vani to the frost march and together they walked out of the stable and into the white wasteland that would begin her long journey south. Watching from the warm inside, all her mother could do was weep.
Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)