[Tuvya Sasaran] Hand Over Fist

Elem // In which Sama'el learns a thing or two about fighting and making friends.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 14th, 2012, 7:57 am

13th Fall, 512 A.V.

This was not a place where Sama'el had been before despite his fairly frequent visits to the city of the blue men. He walked up to the sliding door, peering curiously at the symbol that marked it. Though illiterate, he had learned to parse some sense of meaning from symbols in learning to glyph from his blood-brother, the Summoner Leto. But this one did not quickly make itself clear to him, yet the building matched the description he had heard and so he slid the door aside and stepped in.

His feet were nigh silent on the hardwood floor, but he was being careful and stealthy. Solid buildings made him nervous usually, and so on some level, he was ready for fight or flight. When nobody came to greet him, he removed his riding boots and tucked them in a corner where he thought nobody would take them. The last thing he wanted to do was buy inferior riding boots outside Endrykas.

The shouts were all coming from one direction, and so he continued his silent tread in the other direction. He could no longer smell a thing thanks to Oriana's curse, and his gnosis was blocked by the building itself, but that just made his other senses the sharper. He could hear no breathing behind one of the sliding doors, and so he carefully opened it and let himself in.

Not even sure why he was doing this, perhaps when he had passed Akajia's temple earlier the idea of secrets began to titillate, he looked around the practice room. And now he knew not what to do. He couldn't practice without a partner. Well, he would attempt to meditate and calm his mind and body first. It would give him a bit of an edge when he went out to find a sparring partner.

He stretched carefully, not having any expert routine, but knowing what tended to feel good and release tension. When he felt a little looser, he quietly knelt and let his eyelids droop to half-mast as he began to pull his breath under control.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Elem Bree on November 16th, 2012, 5:37 am

Elem had spent much of the morning running on his own, having waited for Serrif to head off in his usual direction before choosing to run down the other end of the beach. It wasn't anything personal, but the man sure could talk. Maybe it was loneliness. Elem could sympathize with that, though he had spent so much time alone in Zeltiva that he had either grown accustomed to it or maybe he just preferred his own company. Either way, it was nice to set his own pace and only have the constant surf to listen to.

Once he had run his own circuit, the Zeltivan decided to keep going, passing through the construction of the upper grounds, waving at Aweton as he was accustomed, until he was on his way to the city proper. He thought a good couple of rounds striking the straw dummy at the Tuvya might get him warmed up properly for a long day of lifting and building. The routine of exercise was invigorating, keeping his energy high and his mind clear, two things the young man desperately needed in his new life as a burgeoning Kuvan. His fighting skills still lacking, he continued to create a program which would be the basis for anything he decided to do later.

Slowing to a jog within the city, it was an easy tread up to the building. He stopped, his sweat streaming and his breathing hurried. Elem squatted down a few times and reached high toward Syna before shaking himself and entering, his attention turning to the empty reception desk. Just as well, as he had not brought any Mizas with him. Practicing without instruction was free, as fa as he knew. If not, he would surely find out soon enough. Hurrying to get into a room in case it was not, Elem slid the door open and closed it behind him, completely oblivious to the other young man kneeling in the floor.

It became clear, however, once he turned and saw him. Aware that his distraction had put him in an odd situation, he tried to back up. The other would surely know he was there, eyes closed or not. His breathing from his run could be heard heavy in the room. "Oh, I'm sorry. I had no idea someone was in here. Excuse me." He turned to let himself out.

Elem Bree
Always learning. Always changing.

Words: 229116
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2011, 6:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on November 22nd, 2012, 7:36 pm

Even with the damage to the Web, he could sense somewhat of it without leaving his body. Coupling that with the Common instead of Tukant, he guessed he was not in trouble.

"You can stay," he said, his own voice rather more serene than usual for his meditation. His eyelids rose and he twisted his spine around to see who it was, a series of pops releasing tension of which he had not quite been aware before. His smile was friendly, but a trifle wary. This was not his place.

"There was no one at the front, and I didn't want to interrupt what they were doing. Is it all right that I am here?"

He twisted around the other way, enjoying another pop or two, and then stood up, shaking out his legs and stretching more. The quiet and the focus felt good, and he didn't mind a mite of company, especially if there was a chance for some friendly sparring.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Elem Bree on November 23rd, 2012, 6:19 am

With the apparent welcoming, Elem saw no need to pile rudeness upon rudeness. "Why, thank you." Turning once again on his bare heel, he stepped over to the corner of the room, pulling his tunic off and nodding to his friend, the straw dummy. Listening to the guy's queries, Elem shrugged. "There's usually someone at reception who takes the fee for formal training. I believe that we can use the space for free on our own, but as I am not Kuvan, I can't guarantee that." If Morkal or anyone else entered to correct them, Elem would try name dropping or at least owe it later. It wasn't as if he wouldn't be back, anyway.

His hands clasped behind his head, Elem began to twist at the waist and bend down toward each knee, so that every other time he was looking at the other. "I'm Elem Bree of Zeltiva, by the way. I work over at the Sanctuary. Kavala Denusk's place?" His breath already heightened from the run, his capacity for long conversations was short, so he continued with stretching and bending.

Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on December 5th, 2012, 5:15 am

Sama'el nodded, glad to have a regular man here rather than an Akalak. They were too damnably fast for men who were so big. It wasn't fair. But also, another human in the know was good to have around, he thought, even if he wasn't Drykas. But when he identified himself as a friend or colleague of Kavala, he needn't say more. The young Drykas grinned.

"I'm Sama'el Sunsinger. Kavala is a friend of mine. I think that's why you look familiar. I must have seen you in passing at the Sanctuary. My camp is in the spare pasture."

When Elem Bree of Zeltiva rose from his stretch, Sama'el put out his hand to clasp wrists with him in Drykas fashion. A friend of Kavala's was a friend of his.

"I don't know if I'm any more challenging than a straw dummy, but if you're looking to spar..." He left it open-ended, not wanting to unduly influence the man.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Elem Bree on December 11th, 2012, 4:32 am

"A friend of Kavala's is a friend of mine."

Elem felt he was warmed up enough, rolling his shoulders in their sockets as he spoke to the other man. He wished he could say he was equally familiar, but Elem had been so busy just getting settled in that he had no idea that there were people camping on the premises. Maybe he would try to pay better attention in the future. Elem went to shake hands,but the other man grasped his wrist, so he did the same. Perhaps it was a local custom of sorts.

When he heard the challenge, Elem smiled. "I think the straw dummy could probably take me, so we are probably evenly matched. I just started training here, for Kuvan status. In Zeltiva, fighting was not so neccesary. It wasn't as wild as Cyphrus, by a long shot. So, take it easy on me?" Elem stood back a few paces, unsure of what to do really. He had never been in a real fight up to this point, so he would just have to take what he knew and do his best.

Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on December 22nd, 2012, 12:34 am

"Oh, well, I don't really know what I'm doing without a blade or bow to hand," he admitted. "I figure I ought to learn what to do in the event that I'm disarmed, though, yeah?"

He took one step back for Elem's several, and did what he would were he fighting with blades: he sized the man up. He was a mite shorter than Sama'el, and a bit stockier. So Sama'el might have a bit of an edge on reach, perhaps even speed, but Elem might have him on strength.

"Well, huh. I suppose... we can just pummel and grapple each other and figure things out? At some point, someone might see us fighting like idiots and give us a pointer or two."

That said, he dropped into a fighting stance, knees bent, center of gravity lower, and balanced on the balls of his feet. Putting a heel down too hard would affect maneuverability. His hands came up, feeling naked without at least a knife, and he tried to decide whether they felt more natural in fists, or open and ready to grapple. Once he had seen a man fight with open hands, making them like fleshly blades. They hadn't cut, but they had certainly left his opponent bruised and with a broken collarbone.

But he waited for Elem to respond in kind before he would try to attack. This was not war, but learning.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Elem Bree on February 24th, 2013, 8:01 pm

It sounded like they were on the same page. Sam'ael was looking at him the way that Morkal did. It was a signal that something might be about to happen, that he was being sized up. While Sam'ael was not as visually imposing as Morkal, Elem knew better than to underestimate any opponent. He nodded and smiled, finding his own center, his arms raised and turned at the elbows. " I imagine that a real fight wouldn't allow for lessons, other than how to pick my ass off the ground." He laughed and took a few steps forward. With no idea what would happen, Elem raised his right fist and moved in, his eyes scanning his friendly opponent as to what would happen next.

Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)