Traveling

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Traveling

Postby Amelia Cross on November 17th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Hello, since my character is supposedly traveling from Zeltiva and Ravok a lot, I would like to know how long would it take for a person to travel from those two locations? Adding or removing a few days for weather that is.

If someone could explain the whole process here or send me a PM. I'd be grateful.

I would like to add that she has little baggage and travels on a Leopardbred female, 2 years of age.
And yes, she usually has a companion for safety reasons.
Last edited by Amelia Cross on November 25th, 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Traveling

Postby Gossamer on November 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm

There is no easy way currently to get from Ravok to Zeltiva easily and frequently. There are actually two routes. One is by sea - if you can catch a ship. It would probably take at least (depending on season) a season of good weather if there's no northern sea ice.

The wilderness route is going to take at least a few seasons traveling solid. There are no roads. So it would probably take twice as long just to cut through the woods even though the physical distance is half. So to make it you'd have to have some serious Wilderness Survival and some serious defensive/offensive skills.

Each person, their skill level, and the season all play into this heavily. In winter heavy snows would make travel hard especially the further north you got. Down by Syliras, its warmer and rainy, but its still not pleasant.

Ravok's DS is trying to (or was) do a thread to build a road from Ravok to the Suvan Sea to trade, but I believe the questers on this trip got waylaid by various events and the road was never finished. Feel free to correct me Questers!!!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Traveling

Postby Gossamer on November 17th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Actually someone pointed out it would likely take a lot longer than simply what I quoted you as well.

Think of it this way......

Zeltiva to Syliras was determined to be 30 days riding hard and changing horses on a modernish patrolled road. So that distance is a great length. If you went overland, you could go to Syliras in twice that traveling more reasonably (not at a break neck gallop).

So it was pointed out to me that if you took the Zeltiva to Syliras route.. then headed north to Ravok through the wilderness (Shorter by far than going Zeltiva curving around and trying to hit Ravok... you're talking at least two if not double that seasons to get to Ravok. That's hard travel, untamed wilderness, and with all the fun that comes with that.

Sailing, sure its easier, but there's risks there too and not many ships trading with Ravok. I know a PC that took two years irl to go from Sultros to Zeltiva. Mizahar is not small. Mizahar is vast and untamed and travel is deadly oftentimes.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Traveling

Postby Amelia Cross on November 17th, 2012, 10:26 pm

So if I have caught it right, the best way to travel from Ravok would be, let's say
20 to 35 days of travel from Ravok to Nyak,
depending on weather and having a really though companion + a good amount of luck...
From Nyak taking a ship from there to Zeltiva? For 60 days or so?

Is that it?

Well, if it's like that I say...bring on the wild lands and the sea :'D
Last edited by Amelia Cross on November 25th, 2012, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Traveling

Postby Gossamer on November 18th, 2012, 4:26 am

No.

There's no way you'd get from Ravok to Nyka in that short amount of time. I checked your CS and I doubt you'd survive the wilderness alone with your skills either. So a ship would be the best option. I'd double or triple the time between Nyka and Ravok. You have a long long curve and all wilderness without a ship.

Nyka to Zeltiva sounds about right.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Traveling

Postby Amelia Cross on November 18th, 2012, 8:51 am

Well at least I got the ship part right,

generally, it should take about the same amount of time to travel from Ravok to Nyak then? 60 days or maybe even 80 considering my character doesn't have the skills. assuming she is traveling with someone who has

Sorry for to much questions, I'd just like to set it straight for future journeys :)
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)