Closed Hunting.

[Ishgrameer]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Hunting.

Postby Leaf on November 27th, 2012, 4:00 am

Fall 58th, 512 AV, Afternoon

Leaf stood there at the entrance to Wind Reach, backpack slung over his shoulder and a deep look of concentration on his face as he went over everything again. Did he have all his supplies? He was sure of it. He didn't need much, just a few things to keep him warm and fed out there during his hunt. Flint and steel, he could feel those in the pocket of his bryda. A few days of food, mainly fish, he remembered putting in his bag that morning when he'd gone to the kitchens to get some. If he ran low, he could always hunt for himself. Even though the taste of rodent didn't appeal to him, it was still better than vegetables and living off roots like some prey creature. He didn't need to think about his bow and the arrows. He knew already that they were present, able to feel the weight of the quiver on his back and hear the slightest rattling of wooden shafts as he walked.

Nodding to himself, Leaf faced the entrance with a look of determination on his face. Every time he left, he did this, like it was some ritual, or even a tradition. Perhaps it was some ingrained fear of being caged again, or an instinct to hesitate in case he was to face some new danger out there. He glared with defiance at the open sky just beyond the gate, challenging it to throw a new enemy at him. A new prey.

He shouldered himself, put his easily pricked pride on his sleeve, and stepped forward.
Leaf
"Rawr" means more than "I love you" to me.

Words: 28589
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2012, 12:21 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Ishgrameer Windwalker on November 27th, 2012, 5:25 am

Exiting the gatehouse after chatting with Val and catching up on some rest, Ishgrameer decided it was about time to go out for some hunting. He needed to do all that he could before winter's hold tightened to a stranglehold on the land around Wind Reach. He could still brave the winter weather, but it would be very harsh and he would likely hunt very little outside of the city in the winter. He had donned his night leather upon leaving the gatehouse, the familiar snug feeling of the well-crafted leather brought a constant smile to his face. With his supplies loaded tightly into his pack he proceeded to exit through the gates. His bow slung across his chest, and his quiver strapped to his back. He was content with the thought that he had enough supplies to make it through the hunting trek. It was still great weather for a hunt and thus Ishgrameer was excited.

As he was exiting the gates he saw a man walking away from the gates. The man was similarly dressed with a quiver, and thus Ishgrameer thought that perhaps he too was going on the hunt. So he decided that at least for the journey to wherever he decided to hunt they could chat and walk together. As he made his way to catch up with the fellow he announced himself so as to not startle the fellow.

"Ho friend, are you going on the hunt? Would you like to walk together? Perhaps we could hunt together."
Ishgrameer Windwalker
In flight, you are free

Words: 57893
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2012, 8:38 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Leaf on November 27th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Leaf jumped as a voice rang out. He was used to departing in silence, with nary a word to Inarta he passed. Val had gotten used to his curt silence and his way with glares. He hardly liked sharing words and recently, he had found he had a good shot of getting in disputes with them.

He turned a harsh gold glare to the large man that had spoken. The bird inside was crowed by the sheer size of this stranger and so he compensated for it by straightening his back and holding his chin high. Even shorter than the man as he was, he could still muster the pride to peer down the bridge of his nose at him. He would not be intimidated by another Kelvic.

He knew what the man was on sight. He could feel the tingle of familiarity in his body and sense the territorial outrage of his bird self at the thought of another bird in his area. There seemed to be many Kelvic here. Almost as many as there had been with the Larks of Ravok.

"Hunting? Together? How do you hunt when you're so big? You must make all the animals wary when they hear you crashing through the trees." He spoke with sharp, fast words. Even if he didn't always mean to insult, most of the time it was exactly what he did. "You will scare all my prey away. Maybe you'll get an Xanthian on us. Wouldn't that be fun?"

With a deep breath, he blew the air out in a loud exhale. An attempt at calming himself. "Are you any good with your bow?" His tone was kinder than before, if one cared to call it that. Calmer fitted better. "Hunt with me and I expect you to hold your own weight and keep yourself safe, owl."

His thoughts had gone to his supplies. They wouldn't support two people for the amount of time he had planned to hunt. He sure hoped this newcomer had something of his own. "What's your name anyway?"
Leaf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Ishgrameer Windwalker on November 28th, 2012, 12:39 am

Ishgrameer stopped in front of the man, who looked up at him the tenacity of a predatory bird. He was indeed a Kelvic, it couldn't be missed. The facial features-more importantly the eyes- denoted him as such. It was not the first of his dealings with others of his kind, but he remembered the territorial nature that most predatory birds had. Perhaps that was what it was the brought out the anger in the man's tone. All reasonable. The man was looking up at him trying to maintain his pride, and it only brought a smile to his face, a friendly smile. He imagined that the man was doing his best to be imposing in light of the height difference between them. Part of the predatory nature in his own blood threatened to corrupt his actions, but he kept it in line, as he had kept it in line many years and since his arrival to Wind Reach. Before he spoke he attempted to remedy some of the hostility that was radiating from the man. He bowed and extended his hand as he spoke "My apologies, my name is Ishgrameer Windwalker."

"It is true often enough people think that my height would only encumber my hunting skills. But i have grown up amid the wilds, and there as home to me as the streets of Wind Reach have become. Plus i am much more stealthy than i appear, it is part of my nature. And yes i am rather skilled at the use of this here bow. It has served me well over the years. And i would expect you to expect nothing less of a fellow hunter. I can hold my own safe and soundly, of that you need not fret."

Ishgrameer paused contemplating his thoughts as he took in the measure of this man, who was in all regards a rather strong, and imposing figure in his own right. He respected the man for his straightforwardness, though he imagined it was more due to the persistent nature of his animal nature breaking through the surface. Ishgrameer just held a friendly smile upon his face, his large round eyes constantly looking forward at the man.

"And what is your name good sir?" Ishgrameer said with his hand still outstretched and a smile still on his face.
Ishgrameer Windwalker
In flight, you are free

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Leaf on November 28th, 2012, 1:27 am

A sharp gold stare measured the hand, deciding weather the gesture could be perceived as threatening or hospitable. Inarta didn't typically shake hands, nor did the creatures of the wilderness, but his former masters had done it with flair and elegance befitting their name and their reputation. The straightforward method Ishgrameer utilized was received far better than the delicate flourishes the hedonistic masters he had once served employed.

He returned the handshake awkwardly. It was obvious he had never actually shaken a hand before in his life. He might have actually held too hard, or relinquished Ishgrameer too early, but nonetheless it was a handshake.

"Leaf Tree." He said simply. The look in his eyes promised trouble if Ishgrameer so much as opened his mouth to mock his name. He had long ago tired of explaining its origins and why he hadn't yet changed it to something more manly.

He didn't respond immediately to the rest of the man's words. Some things just didn't warrant the breath spent to reply. He preferred to let matters close on their own -when he was sober at least.

"You can come along then," he said after a few long ticks of silence. Without another word, he shrugged off his uncomfortable feeling, and walked off, leaving it up to Ishgrameer to follow him.
Leaf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Ishgrameer Windwalker on November 28th, 2012, 1:41 am

Ishgrameer smiled at the man's unfamiliarity with handshakes, wondering if perhaps the man just wasn't overly social. Despite that there was a strength that was passed into the handshake, and that made Ishgrameer's respect for Leaf grow, for his pride was not unfounded. Nonetheless he was pleased that they had not arrived at conflict. Though he could detect the predatory nature of defensiveness lurking behind those golden eyes, and kept that in his thoughts. The name was interesting but each name was a name, and none were strange. "Leaf Tree, well met. Swift and sharp, while strong and rooted. A fine name fellow, it suits you well."

Falling in step along side Leaf, Ishgrameer took in the scenery as they left the Sanikas gates, and Wind Reach behind them. The air was crisp and perfect. Looking side ways at Leaf, Ishgrameer smiled "So where were you thinking of hunting, or rather what did you have in mind to hunt?"

He wanted to ask more, perhaps even make small talk, but something about Leaf told him that it was perhaps better to let him start the conversation.
Ishgrameer Windwalker
In flight, you are free

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Leaf on November 29th, 2012, 1:57 am

"I want to take in moose." He replied, curt as ever. He wasn't used to the company and the change grated on his patience, but it rewarded him. For once, he had someone to back him up should trouble arise. That was a good thing. The conversation also took away Leaf's need for introspection as he walked alone. That was something he fell too often. Thoughts seemed to always be whizzing through his head for some reason or another.

Starting a conversation was hard for him. He rarely held a long one with anyone, and if he ever managed one it would be filled with short sentences and half-hearted grunts. He wasn't one for words or for company, but he was trying to muster up some of that now. His brow furrowed with concentration as he grasped at a topic, any topic, that would stop the conversation dying.

"What were you intending to bring back?" He said finally. His boots scuffed the ground audibly and he cringed at the sudden sound. There were a few sounds in nearby bushes off the road and Leaf paused to cock his head at the wall of foliage. He was certain the sounds were caused by some type of rodent, but he figured it would benefit him to have some kind of extra food with which to feed himself during the night. "I'm thinking, if we take down big animals, we might have some trouble bringing things back to the city..." He dwindled off into silence.
Leaf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Ishgrameer Windwalker on November 29th, 2012, 2:27 am

Ishgrameer was content with waiting for Leaf to respond, and rekindle the conversation. Silence and solitude was a recurring part of his life, and so when the opportunity to interact with others arose he snatched at it. Still his predatory nature bristled in the back of his thoughts, and it was a constant war that raged within him whenever he was around other predatory people (primarily birds, and kelvics). However even if that side of him did manage to show it was a slow and patient fury, and it was willing to wait for the opportunity to be unleashed. However while he felt that predatory fury towards Leaf he also felt an overwhelming amount of friendliness. It was strangely conflicting.

"Hmm moose, i had not thought of going after one, but it is a wonderful idea. Personally i had set out originally to hunt just about anything i could find. Though i was primarily hoping to hunt down a Takan Mountainbeast."

Ishgrameer thought about the dilemma that Leaf had posed him. Even between the two of them they would be mildly hard pressed to take back everything they caught, especially if they caught a moose or takan. However if they cut up enough of the animal, and took what they needed such as horns or antlers they could eat the rest or leave it for other predators.

"I don't think we will be too hard pressed. Though of course it all depends on what we catch. A number of small creatures won't be a problem, but of course a larger one could pose a problem. The best plan we can take is to cut as much meat as we can, take the hide, and antlers or horns. If there's left over meat we can try to eat whatever we can the night before returning. Whatever's left we'll have to just leave for other predators and scavengers. Let us hope that our hunting is successful enough for us to have to worry about such things!" the last statement he said with some enthusiasm, and loosing a light honest chuckle.

Ishgrameer's feet scraped against the ground, but the soles of his feet were hard from years of never wearing shoes. His long sharp talon-like toenails would have made shoes impractical.

Ishgrameer tried to keep the conversation going, though he tried to advertise through his body language and facial expression that if he didn't want to answer his next set of questions he didn't have to. "So how long have you been in Wind Reach? I admit i have only recently arrived at the beginning of fall. Though i can still remember the city from my youth. I hope i can honor my promise, and that not all the falconer's-or female kelvics-are taken."
Ishgrameer Windwalker
In flight, you are free

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Leaf on November 30th, 2012, 4:47 am

"Mountainbeast are good prey," Leaf muttered. He didn't eat them often. He typically took down white-tails and if lucky, Alkana. Every so often, when he felt like his luck was bad, he would wonder if he'd meet a Rashkari. "It's always good to hope for these things," he said.

He huffed. They were probably ten chimes out of Wind Reach and the city was still in sight. Time seemed to be creeping on today. Tipping his head back, he ran a hand through the dark mass. His hand caught on tangles in the fine strands.

"I've been here a year, or almost two now. I've lost count. I don't bother trying to keep track sometimes. I wasn't born here though. I'm from far away," he said. While he spoke, he still sounded a little wary and uncomfortable, but the blunt way he phrased it could leave no thought as to it being untrue. "I'm from Ravok." He didn't expect Ishgrameer to know what the name meant.

"We should probably move more off the road, don't you think?" Leaf unslung his bow and readied an arrow in his left hand. "Just in case. Nothing but rabbit and squirrel on the Sanikas."
Leaf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Hunting.

Postby Ishgrameer Windwalker on November 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Ishgrameer listened intently to the Leaf's words, as he took in the scenery around him. "I'm afraid I've never journeyed to Ravok. I have only ever lived in the wilds and mountains of the wilds around Wind Reach and Thunderbay. I myself arrived her at the beginning of fall, but i have lived in these lands for my whole life, and they are still a home to me if times become grim." There was something about Leaf that he admired. Perhaps it was that he showed control over something that was obviously plaguing him, and Ishgrameer knew how that felt. Leaf was making strives to make conversation which he imagined was probably not his usually choice of action in these kinds of situations. He was honorable, if perhaps a little blunt, brash, and intense. But birds would be birds, and he knew that it was true.

Ishgrameer watched as Leaf took off his bow and readied an arrow. "Yes i do believe that we should. You never know what you'll find sometimes, and sometimes in the strangest of places. But yes the game/hunt is afoot" he said as he readied his own bow and an arrow. As he did so he marveled at his bow. It was perhaps the best one he had ever purchased and he had been trying to replicate it ever since. The bow was heavier than most due to the amount of draw strength that he had it commissioned to be built with. It was also rather tall (6'6" to be exact). All of this however allowed him to get deadly power out of a shot.

They moved off the the road Ishgrameer slowly keeping pace behind Leaf making sure nothing surprised their flank, and that nothing they wished to hunt went unnoticed. He knew that talking would fall to the wayside now, and he did not like conversation in the midst of a hunt anyways. It went against his nature. It killed his focus which was crucial to his skills.
Ishgrameer Windwalker
In flight, you are free

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next