[Flashback]Veterans and Hunters

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 25th, 2010, 6:01 am

30th Day of Summer, 504 A.V.

It had been a slow morning, and even slower midday for Jaeden as he crouched over the snare he had set up early last night, finding it still empty. It hadn’t even been tripped. “They’re all in hiding today or something, what the petch?” Jaeden muttered under his breath as he retrieved his snare.

He slowly stood up, shielding his eyes with his hand as he looked up towards the sky, noting the clear day. “No storm, no sign of movement of slavers or troops trampling through the forest.” Jaeden commented aloud as Jaeden peered around the forest for a short time. “Only tracks I’ve found have been predators.”

Jaeden’s hand then dipped into the rune sack at his side. He gave a slow sigh as he took stock of what rations he had left. He would have enough to last him a couple more days, but all the same, he didn’t want to use them anymore than he had to. Jaeden liked to keep his rations available for emergencies, and it would be easier for him to simply relocate to another region of the wild lands to hunt, rather than dipping into what could be something he would need in the event he was stranded and starving.

Jaeden slowly reached down to his waist, pulling his water skin free from it’s holder as he took a slow drink. His feet then began carrying him back towards camp as a light grumble in his stomach reminded him that he hadn’t eaten yet today. Hopefully he would at least find some wild nuts or berries to at least take the edge of hunger off when he relocated. It would take him a short time to finally reach his camp once again, and another bell to break it down. By the time he did so, Jaeden already found himself taking a small bit of his rations, failing in his attempt to resist as he took a small bite out of a long strip of dried beef.

Jaeden then began heading east, his gaze shifting over the area of the forest as he walked in the off chance he found a bush that would provide berries, or a wild apple tree. Even some nettle plants would be acceptable at this point. Of all the things Jaeden was searching for, however, the smell of a campfire was the first to catch his attention, as that smell burning wood lingered in the air as a light wind blew in his direction. Whether it was the lack of food, the heat of the sun that passed over the middle of the sky, or the fact that it had been a couple of weeks since Jaeden last ran into anyone, Jaeden couldn’t say for certain. In the end, however, he began to follow his nose, so to speak, as he headed in the direction the smell was coming from, now keeping his eyes out for the hint of smoke that inevitably rose from any campfire burning.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Harlequill on May 25th, 2010, 6:05 pm

Vargas had come to this camp only recently. The smell of burning wood had carried, and through a copse of trees both the smoke and fire could be glimpsed grasping upward toward the sky. The aged Knight, in his late fifties during this time, sat on a log which showed signs of being dragged to rest only two feet from the fire.

The Syliran crest was visible on the suit of full plate worn by the warrior. In the terms of life among humans some would not yet call him 'old', but among those young warriors and athletes who wore such suits of armor he was nearly ancient. His shoulders bowed slightly under the burden of his mission and the metal. In his hands he was spitting a large chunk of meat.

With short-cropped white hair and a matching beard, he could be Jaeden's grandfather. In spite of his advanced years his horse appeared to be a healthy young stallion. Similar to his master the horse still wore full battle gear. The two must be expecting trouble. Or perhaps they were out here looking for that trouble.

He had not yet noticed anyone snooping around his camp, but his sword and shield were both within easy reach on the log. His gauntlets were resting on top of his shield. Once he had placed the spit over the fire, and the delectable smells of fresh meat being cooked began to waft toward Jaeden over the wind, he brushed his hands off on the log and began to wait.
Last edited by Harlequill on May 26th, 2010, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Words: 72067
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2010, 4:54 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 26th, 2010, 5:41 am

Jaeden observed the old knight for a short time, taking in the surrounding camp as well as taking stock of his weapons and shield. He didn’t look as though he had a special purpose for being there, other than possibly spoiling for a fight. Still, the meat he was cooking made for a tempting reason to get to know the man. That and the fact that Jaeden felt he was going a little stir crazy recently.

Jaeden slowly reached to his side, unfastening the straps to his longsword as he pulled it free from his belt. He then held the sheathed weapon over his head, the hilt facing the opposite direction of his free hand. With a slow exhale, he stepped towards the Knight’s camp, offering a friendly smile and raised had in greeting. “Hello there.” Jaeden said in greeting. “Jaeden Kincade is my name. I must say, it’s rare to find a knight by himself out in the wild lands, but to find a veteran like yourself is even more so. Might I offer some spices for that meat your cooking in exchange for a small slice of it perhaps?”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Harlequill on May 26th, 2010, 9:47 pm

The veteran carefully examined the hunter, weighing him with caution. The man was holding his weapon in an offering of peace. From the way he spoke the boy did not appear to be a foreign traveller to these parts either. Wheels could be seen turning behind the eyes of the Knight for the space of three breaths, and then a smile broke through his snowy beard.

As the Knight stood he kept his hand clear of his sword, showing the same politeness offered by Jaeden. "I am Stewart Knight Vargas Lanta, commander of the Blue Company, First Regiment, Golden Quadron." His voice was strong, but carried a dustiness with it that came from age and smoke. "Technically I am on leave, but the explanation is long and dry. You and your spices are welcome, I've not much seasoning of my own to spread."

With that he gestured for Jaeden to come forward, and sat once more on his log. The man could move well in his armor. Though their meeting had gone well thus far the Knight kept a close eye on his new guest. Trusting strangers too easily could be quite dangerous in the Wildlands of Sylira.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 27th, 2010, 3:06 am

Jaeden gave a quick nod, a smile spreading across his lips as he stepped further into the camp. “You like something that bites, or just nips?” Jaeden asked casually, laying his sword down before stepping to the fire slipping his pack off his shoulders. “Oh, and would you prefer Commander, or Vargas? You’re feeding me so I’m not picky either way.”

Jaeden then began to rummage around in his pack, muttering something about having to organize his belongings a bit more as he did so. “Well, I’m always on leave, and haven’t got much planned tonight if you wanted to go over the story of it all?” Jaeden said before a bright expression appeared on his face. “Ahh, there it is.”

Jaeden then pulled a small box from his pack, setting it along the log next to Vargas as he closed his pack up and tossed it aside. Opening the box up, the scent of various spices and herbs that Jaeden had collected from the forest over the span of most of the spring and beginning of summer filled the air, tickling at Vargas’ nostrils. He slowly looked over to the spit for a moment, scratching his head as he motioned for Vargas to pick out a spice he may have preferred as several small paper packets lined the inside of the box. “In any event, I would suspect most knights on leave would spend there time with a little rest and relaxation in the city, rather than out in the wild lands where Slavers, Brigands and Beasts linger about as thick as the foliage.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Harlequill on May 27th, 2010, 3:23 am

"Call me Vargas. I only make my men call me Commander. I also might mention it if an outlander gets unruly. Give it a kick, I like my food to fight back." His smile was easy. Reaching into his pack he produced a glass jar full of dried leaves. As he prepared to regail Jaeden with his tale he began rolling himself a smoke. He would gesture toward the completed item halfway through the tale, asking silently if Jaeden would care for one as well.

"Thats how I often spend my own leave, but times are changing. My brother has come back from abroad and wants me to join in his fool adventures out here." He said this with a fond look on his face, though his voice implied that he did not think much of his brother. Such was the way of brothers. "I'm still a Knight of Syliras, a good one I would hope, but I suppose I needed proof that I could still hold my own without a Company of men at my back."

Reaching forward he would pluck a long splinter of wood from the ground, set aside for just this purpose. After placing the rolled smoke between his lips he leaned forward and lit the splinter. Lifting it to the tip of his roll he puffed until it glowed. If Jaeden accepted his offer of a smoke then he would graciously reach across to light his as well.

"I've been following a band of murderers who attacked a Zeltivan merchant and his caravan on the way to Syliras." Taking a deep inhalation he blew a jet of sweet-smelling smoke into the air, pausing thoughtfully. "Tricky men, and strange. They attacked on the open road. Not only that, they did not pause to steal valuables. The brigands just took the bodies. As you can imagine the Zeltivans are quite upset about this. We Knights are none too happy about it either."

He gave Jaeden a look which spoke volumes on how the Knight felt about the stealing of the bodies. The strange method of operation gave the old warrior a feeling of uneasiness. "Either some strange half-mad wizard is in the area, or the brigands found the bodies more profitable than the merchant's cargo. I lost sight of their trail about half a mile to the north. Tracking has never been my strong suit."
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 27th, 2010, 4:31 am

“Vargas it is then.” Jaeden replied as he then gave a nod in reply to his preference in spices, shuffling through the packets in the box before producing one in particular that cause the inside of his nostril to feel a slight burn when inhaling it’s scent. Jaeden then began to sprinkle the spice, something dark brown and ground into a fine powder, along the surface of the meat, turning the spit slightly every now and then when he did so. A slow shake of his head was given in the offering of smoking leaves. “No, never really acquired the tastes for such. Thanks all the same though.”

Jaeden then reached behind his back, pulling out a small eating knife from it’s sheath as he stuck it partway into the meat, pulling the layer back slightly to see how far in it had been cooked already. “I imagine you still have what it takes. My mentor told me once that what physical advantages that fade with time will normally be made up for in experience alone.” Jaeden then commented as he sat back for a moment, dusting his hands off against each other. He then rubbed his chin slightly as he gave a slow shrug. “There’s always adventure out here in the wilds, foolish or otherwise. That’s for sure. As capable as the Knights are, they can’t be everywhere at once. I’ve acted as guide to many who’ve lost their way in the deep forest because they’ve had to run from Slavers or Brigands.”

Jaeden then just gave idle nods to the mention of a caravan being attacked. It was a common occurrence, even on the open roads to Syliras. Especially if the caravan itself traveled lightly guarded or not at all depending on what was being transported. He then rose a brow, looking over at Vargas when he mentioned the bodies alone had been taken, and the goods left untouched. “Being in the wilds for so long, the taking of bodies normally leads me to thinking Zith, rather than wizards. Still, if their leaving tracks that makes Zith less likely, as they fly around more than travel on foot to my knowledge.” Jaeden said as he thought for a moment further on it. “Though I can’t claim to know a great deal about magic though, either.”

Jaeden then moved towards the meat once again, checking it over once again and getting an idea of how long it would be before it was finished. The scent of the spices were now lingering in with the smell of the cooking meat, adding a more enticing aroma as opposed to the harsh one the spice left in it’s raw state. “I could possibly help you track them.” Jaeden then suggested, poking into the meat once again with his eating knife. “If you wouldn’t mind starting from the beginning again, where they were attacked. It’s easier for me that way in the long run. Gives me an idea of their movement patterns the more I see it. I’m no expert by any means, but human and the tracks of the other races in the land generally are easier to track, as they’re not so random most of the time like animals.”

Jaeden then looked back at Vargas, giving a slight smile. “Hell, I’d be even willing to lend you a small hand if we track them to their source.” Jaeden then said as his hand draped over a risen knee for a moment. “For a small compensation of some sort. Say possibly any spoils not belonging to the caravan that interest me, or being allowed to woo some damsel in distress if the opportunity presents itself.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Harlequill on May 27th, 2010, 3:26 pm

"Zith would have been a possibility, but the survivors of the attack claim to have clearely identified the brigands as humans." The older man looked to the south and scratched at his beard thoughtfully. "We could return to where they were first attacked. It will add some time to the journey, but its unlikely I will find them at this rate."

Placing his elbows on his knees with a clink the knight leaned forward to smell the meat. Gripping the roll with his lips he was careful to blow his smoke away from Jaeden and into the sky. "I wouldn't mind those terms. I'm too tired for wooing and I don't need any of their possessions. If we catch them you may have whatever does not belong to the caravan."

"You sound as if you have done this sort of thing before."
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Postby Jaeden Kincade on May 27th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Jaeden slowly reached out, finally pulling the spit off the fire, indicating the meat was now done well enough. He reached into his pack once again, pulling out a couple of wooden plates setting the meat upon one of them then motioning for Vargas to take the first share as it was his meat after all. “Done what before? Hunt down brigands?” Jaeden slowly shook his head, as he grabbed a rag, wiping his hands clean. “No, it’s not my typical day out in the wild.”

Jaeden then finally began fishing through his pack in search of eating utensils. “Still, I’ve been out here for close to a seasons worth of time having run into no one other than slavers for the most part.” Jaeden then commented, pulling out a couple of knives and forks for eating. “Tends to wear down on a person after a while I suppose, so I guess doing something aside from the norm is a nice change of pace.”

Jaeden then handed Vargas an empty plate with a fork and cutting knife along it’s surface. “Call it a preventative measure too. Best to go hunt down these guys with a Knight than run into them by myself out here out of the blue.” Jaeden said further, grabbing his own plate now. “The survivors mention anything about numbers, weapons and skills?”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Harlequill on May 28th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Vargas accepted the plate and utensils with a thankful smile and a nod. Moving forward he began to cut them each a slab of meat. The first piece was given to Jaeden, and the second piece was taken by Vargas. As the knight sat back down he stamped out the stub of his smoke with the heel of his boot. "From what I gather there could be as little as three and as many as five. They aren't Knights, but they know how to use their weapons. The people they killed, they did so quickly and efficiently."

"Change of pace. More than the pay I think that's why I want to head out with my brother. Once you've done something for thirty years, its hard to see yourself doing it for another thirty. As much as I agree with your beliefs on aging, I don't think I would make a very good knight at the ripe old age of eighty years."

He seemed startled by the kick of the meat for a moment, and then his face settled into a satisfied smile. It was quite delicious. "You've made an old knight very happy. What is that spice? I don't often get to enjoy my meals on the road." Momentarily distracted from his mission Vargas took several more bites of meat, clearly enjoying the food.
Harlequill
Prickly Justice

Office

Next