Inventing a skill (to go along with a new character))

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Aren on May 28th, 2010, 7:11 am

The thing is, I'm not entirely certain how to proceed. Let me post the description, then I can voice my concerns.

Reimant Blade (1. Not sure if Reimant is to Reimancy as Aristocrat is to Aristocracy)

A combat style which takes the martial prowess of the sword, and adds the elemental component of Reimancy. More warrior than wizard, the practitioner of this style augments his swordsmanship with an element, not the other way round. His weapon is, first and foremost, his sword.

Because the practitioner is not truly a wizard, he will never be able to control more than one element. Instead, increasing proficiency in this style allows the swordsman to produce larger, more powerful, more elaborate effects, at longer ranges.

(2. How exactly would this skill work? Would it need prerequisites in Sword and Reimancy, or would it simply be a skill you'd build up by itself?)
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Emory Ruin on May 28th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Well that is interesting.
I don't believe I've ever come across the Reimant Blade...hmm.
[I am of no help, but I will patiently wait with you for an answer]

Emory is a sorceress, perhaps what it is talking about is that the sword can work with an element, either after chanting a spell or mumbling a few words or even jerking the sword around. Maybe the sword catches on fire?

Just a guess, it does sound like you would need more swordsmanship than reimancy. After all, it seems to clarify that it is "more warrior than wizard".
Last edited by Emory Ruin on May 28th, 2010, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Tarot on May 28th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Hello Aren,

we don't really support this kind of hybrid skills in our system as it makes everything more confusing than it needs to be. As Emory says, you're better off taking Reimancy and sword points, and using the skills in conjunction if you so desire. No-one prevents you from practicing your own style; most people here who hope to achieve the highest level put a personal touch in their skills of choice.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Griffith on May 28th, 2010, 3:35 pm

I would say the hybrid skill thing wouldn't work, but with Reimancy, one could coat their sword in Res and convert only part of it into an element, allowing for a "sticky" effect to the sword... Though you'd have to be careful... Lightning (Fire + Air) would run down the blade and shock the holder, Ice (Water + Earth) might weigh the blade down (similar thing if you just used Earth to summon rocks), etc.

It's doable, you just have to be careful in the methods.
“No matter under what circumstances you leave it, home does not cease to be home. No matter how you lived there - well or poorly.”
Griffith
of the Tents of Malkyn, of the sons of Benha

Words: 49339
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2010, 7:27 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Aren on May 28th, 2010, 6:10 pm

Cool, thx. I actually though it might be something like that, but then I thought "nah, it's gotta be it's own skill" then I wasn't too sure what to think, so I asked.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)