Closed Birthday Depression (Alea)

Ana remininences of the past, cheering up- is needed!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Birthday Depression (Alea)

Postby Ana Sol Starris on April 18th, 2013, 1:08 am

Ana tilted to the side a little to get a better view at Alea's face, trying to make out any expression that might have presented itself, and given Ana a clue as to what the silent girl was thinking. It was then that Ana realized the 'girl' was just a smidgeon taller than herself, because the girl had jumped up, running away from Ana all hurried like. Ana backed away to avoid being trampled down, and couldn't believe the twit had taken her advice, why the petch would she ever want to go down there? It was filled with monsters, and bad things, and Ana only made the short trip to Jakobi's Yard back and forth when she had to down there (which was like every day, for a few Bells of work, and then heading back to the Spires city.)

Was the trinket really worth her life?

Foolish girl...

Running to keep up with Alea after her own initial surprise, sprinting just to be at the same pace, and then slowing down. "Oy! Wait!" The exclamation was harsh, and worried, raising her arms to be level with her chest and stepping as quickly down the stairs with Alea as she could. It was harder than it looked to stay balanced, and continue running "Are you petched in the head or something, Alea? You don't have any weapons, no armor, no nothing that could aid your survival, theres monsters down there!" Appearing to be cowardly, and self preservative, Ana tried to reason with Alea as best as she could, or rather she tried to point out the futility of her search, and possible self harm. What can I say to get her to stop...?

Frantic in her thoughts, Ana jumped a couple stairs at a time, trying to push herself in front of Alea so Ana could stop her from going further down.

Ana Sol Starris
Sneak Thief

Words: 706912
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2012, 3:27 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on April 18th, 2013, 1:39 am

Alea was starting to feel like Ana was not really committed to the search. "I don't care what's down there, I'm not letting that compass go, and I'll rip apart anything that gets in my way," she said through gritted teeth. She ignored the insults questioning her sanity; she was used to them.

But then Ana pushed past her, and blocked her way down the stairs. Alea's eyes widened with fury. She held up her hands, shaping them like claws and growled, "These are my weapons." As if to prove her point, she shoved Ana hard to the side. Harder than she had meant to, even. Alea took no care to avoid pushing Ana off the side of the staircase.

Alea started to continue down the staircase in her single-minded determination to retrieve her compass. But a pang of guilt made her turn back. As much as the compass was a symbol of an important friend, it was still just an object. It couldn't have a higher value than a friend who was right here, now. Alea grabbed Ana and steadied her, making sure she would not fall.

"I'm sorry," she said, an edge still in her voice. "But I'm not going to let monsters scare me away from getting that compass. It's...it's the only memento I have..." her voice broke before she could finish the sentence. Without another word, she turned and continued down the stairs.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ana Sol Starris on April 18th, 2013, 2:46 am

Hurrying down the stairs to get in front of Alea and stopping her foolishness, briefly, Ana held her hands out in front of her to stop. It succeeded if not for a few moments, the girls words biting, and harsh, filled with a stubborn determination that Ana had to admire (later, of course.) "Dear gods..." she breathed out, muttering, churning, her facial expression turning into a scowl "you think-" beginning to berate the girl for her answer, Ana was pushed to the side that had no evident wall to lean upon. Taking steps to rebalance her center of gravity, she found her body tilting backwards with the momentum of the pushes force; arms flailing to reright herself. "W-woah!" There was no thinking, only reaction, blood quickening, and heart shaking, she found herself failing to sway herself back to firmer ground.

One arm shot out just so she could grab onto the edge of the petal if she did fall off, only to be caught by Alea's hand, and steadied.

For larcenys sake...! Ana thought to herself, morbidly, a tremor of relief surging across her mind, and body, with a distinct sweat beading across her face. Patting her chest where her heart was thudding hard against her ribcage, she was about to scold Alea more but was promptly shutted up. The irritation gave way to ... to.... a feeling that Ana couldn't really describe, but it was a calm emotion, maybe acceptance? "Ugh.." She rubbed her head somewhat exhasperatedly at the current events, eyes shutting for a few moments "fine, fine, but think first before you act.." Ana looked up to the petal where they had just been, and pointed at its underside "if the compass did fall to the ground.. It would have fallen at a straight drop..." her voice trailed, as her finger would also fall downwards to point at the ground floor.

"It might be around in that area...But I still think its a bad idea, I get what you're going through Alea though..." the hand returned to Ana's side, and she tried to give Alea her most serious expression she could muster "I had a book once, written by my brother, during the big storm last Spring, I was.. stupid.. and left it in the apartment I was staying in, instead of taking it with me, like I usually would. Got trapped in some musty temple for a bit, and when I finally got out... I learn half the cities been destroyed, and along with the scum filled streets and blood stained houses... My brothers book..." Starting off down the stairs at a leisurely pace now, she really didn't think anything would deter Alea from trying to find that compass, but hopefully the little shred of information parted would keep Ana from being found out.

"Could have looked through the rubble for it, but there were other scavengers picking at the remnants.. Sunberth is a dangerous place, y'know, but at least if the book did survive, which I doubt it had, no one would be able to read it in the first place.. and the books in my head, probably better off that way." What exactly was she doing.. Or saying? Ana had little clue herself "but I chose safety, over having the material item, knew my bro' wouldn't want me hurt for a book, and I don't think your friend would want you hurt over a compass. Items are replaceable, people are not." All Ana knew was that the more she told, the more she felt the guilt of the compass, and the more she sympathized with Alea, and cursed herself for allowing a smidgeon of empathy to worm its way into her thoughts.

Ana Sol Starris
Sneak Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on April 19th, 2013, 8:48 pm

As Ana talked, Alea listened mostly because listening did not distract her from walking, or scanning every shadow for a glint of gold. But hearing about Ana's book, a strange feeling came over Alea that she had never felt before. It felt like... like someone understood what she was feeling. Personally, she hated books, but right now, she could relate to the regret Ana must have felt at leaving her treasured possession behind.

She slowed down slightly, shaking her head without realizing it. Danger hadn't really stopped her from being reckless before, and she wanted to find that compass, no matter what. It was more than just a keepsake from a friend; it was a reminder of their home, a home that was gone now, with their families scattered to the winds. It was the only thing she had that made her feel like she still had some part of Denval left.

But then Ana reached her conclusion. That it was the people who mattered, who survived, and had to survive. She thought of Oluse, realizing how right Ana was that he would not want Alea hurt. Her chest felt tight, and she finally stopped walking. Then, before she could stop herself, she started crying.

The tears came fast and hard, and Alea was unprepared for them. Her cheeks were soon soaked with them, and the uncontrollable sobbing that accompanied them made it hard for her to breathe. She slowly sank to the ground, on the stairs a few yards from the forest floor, emotions pouring out of her with an almost frightening intensity.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ana Sol Starris on May 18th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Ana had to be careful, very careful, they had neared the ground floor and would only take about 20 steps or more, aproximately, as the thief made a guess. To Ana, it felt as if she were stepping on sharp daggers, treading over broken glass, and many worries. She didn't like giving information up, but it wasn't like she had much choice in the first place, trying to make up some wild far fetched story wasn't going to get her anywheres, and truth held more grip any ways. Just hopefully Alea wouldn't pry later on, otherwise Ana just didn't know what she would do.. Lie?

Halting just as Alea did, Ana had almosted bumped into her but quickly caught herself "h-hey, why the sudden stop?" Ana questioned, leaning forwards and stepping around a bit to get a look at Alea's face. Only for the petching girl to sit down, and, and... started to cry? Looking away, Ana felt immensely uncomfortable with the action Alea was performing. What should I do? Biting her lip as she thought, trying to desperately come up with a plan, the crying threw it off. Gripping her arm, the one with the compass sitting in the sleeve, she grimaced, listening to Alea.

Looking back over to Alea, she stared for a moment, weighing her options and coming to the conclusion that she would have to return the compass later on, but not right now. Sitting next to the young girl, Ana tried to formulate words in her head, opening her mouth once, twice, but only to shut it. Gripping and rubbing her hands together in nervous tension, it was then that Ana realized what she would have to do. When ever she had started to cry, her brother, or her mother had hugged her tightly.. and it seemed to help. Immensely. Exhaling a sigh, having of reached her conclusion.

Here goes nothing.

Ana wrapped an arm around Alea's shoulder and pulled her towards herself, tightening the movement into an awkward hug. Good thing the compass was in the other sleeve, the one not hugging Alea. What was it that her brother or mother had said during these times? Ana tried to remember, feeling her own chest squeeze inwards on itself, she couldn't look Alea in the eye "you'll be fine Alea, it won't be the end of the world.. Perhaps you were not meant to have it in the first place?"

Ana Sol Starris
Sneak Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on July 2nd, 2013, 10:54 pm

Alea's crying had by no means subsided, but at Ana's words, something in her snapped, and her energy was poured into an entirely different mood. Her wet eyes blazed and she violently grabbed Ana's collar. She put her face right in front of Ana's, unwittingly giving the shorter woman a full view of her blotchy, wet, and very angry face.

Heedless of any spittle escaping, Alea all but yelled, "How DARE you?! You don't know anything about my destiny--" She cut herself off abruptly. Something about Ana's words had set her mind careening wildly in a direction she rarely thought about directly. The words she'd spoken aloud had drawn her attention to a puzzle that was hidden at the core of her being, and the shock of it coming out like that was enough to calm her down.

She set Ana back down gently, though her arms were still full of tension. She tried to articulate the glimpses of understanding that were coming together in her mind. "That compass... it's a symbol of Denval. My home. It's who I am. I... can't not be meant to have it..." Her words were slow and clipped, and to someone who didn't know Alea to be nothing more than an annoying brat, it might seem as though she were trying to convince herself her words were true.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Ana Sol Starris on August 14th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Ana, of course, was quite fed up with the abuse being thrown at her by this girl whom she was trying to comfort for 'losing' a gods petched compass. Once the girl had said her fill, as was the polite thing to do despite Ana's own quietly growing anger; what right did this girl have to speak to the thief of a home? None, none at all! She herself never knew what a real home was, and if.. If Ana were to be truthful with herself she was just a tad jealous of Alea for having such a strong love for this home of hers. "Home." Ana snarled spitefully at the girl.

The thief herself was a flurry of cloak and limbs, darting up the stairs as nimbly as a wisp of wind would, though the shake in her body was erratic. "What the petch is this 'Home' you speak of? Like its something important," she grit her teeth together for a moment before continuing, the glare on her face contrasting starkly to her previous softly made expressions "grow up, a home will only ever be a place of insignifigance.. for shelter.. and nothing more. The way you make a home sound as if its some... Glorious place of importance, when its not. It is not."

Ana pointed at the girl, feeling the weight of the compass sink downwards in her sleeve, reminding her of it...

"I am not going to take your two faced reactions anymore, so petch off, I've tried comforting you, I've tried offering advice, but you know what- I don't give a petch anymore!" Turning around, she ran up the leafy steps as fast as she could, throwing her meager weight forwards to get back to the top with one thought in mind: Ana had to hide the compass in a better spot than her sleeve, but she wouldn't return it to the girl, maybe if things had gone better.. Ana would have returned the compass to the girl at a later date but there was no longer room for a guilty conscience.

Ana Sol Starris
Sneak Thief

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on August 14th, 2013, 11:27 pm

Ana's outburst could not have come at a time when Alea was feeling more vulnerable. Her stubbornness had deserted her, and each angry word hit her like a punch to the gut. She could not even work up a reply. She could only sit there digesting the words.

The reason, of course, that she was so attached to the idea of Denval as her home was mostly guilt for abandoning it shortly before it was destroyed forever. She used to feel as Ana did, that home was insignificant at best, and an annoyance at worst. Part of her felt like her thinking had somehow been responsible for the destruction of her city. Part of her just ached at the idea of never having the chance to go back.

Maybe Ana was right. Maybe it was time to say goodbye to Denval and the past for good. But... if that was the right choice, why did she feel so empty inside?
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Vanari on October 28th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Ana
Observation +1 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Interrogation +1 XP
Running +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP
Persuasion +2 XP

Lores :
  • Birthdays...What's The Point?
  • Alea's House: Pretty Impressive
  • Yuric: Alea's Kelvic Friend
  • Zed: Alea's Ugly Pet Spider
  • The Superiority of Cats
  • Tom: A Family Pet from Denval
  • The Function of a Compass
  • The Importance of Being Earnest
  • A Thief Knows No home!

Loot :
+1 gold compass for Ana

Wounds :
+1 cut for Ana

Alea
Observation +1 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Persuasion +1 XP
Interrogation +1 XP
Philosophy +1 XP
Acrobatics +1 XP
Running +1 XP

Lores :
  • Ana: Sleeps In Weird Places
  • Ana's Ties to The Reclamation
  • Ana: Hates Spiders!
  • Spiders Are Nice, Cats Are Mean
  • Ana's Story of a Book
  • Devotion To One's Home
  • The Pains of Letting Go

Notes :
An interesting read with an unexpected ending ^_^

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded." Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous