Closed Examinations

Mealla // In which Sama'el sees if his apprentice is ready for the Web.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Examinations

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 7th, 2013, 10:49 am

20th Winter, 512 A.V.

It wasn't so much that this morning was unlike any other. The frost remained on the ground, even though they were close to the Eyktolian deserts. The pox still ran through the pavilions, and so they kept close and apart. Mealla stayed with them still, which was good. It would prevent her from getting sick. He didn't like the idea of that at all. They still hadn't really talked about things, mostly because she seemed to want to flee whenever it seemed like it might come up, and Sama'el didn't want to feel like a bully for pinning her down and demanding answers.

But he had an idea, and so after he had seen to the horses -- at least, those that weren't Striders bonded to someone else -- he found her by the campfire and crouched next to her.

"Hey, so." Then he paused. "There's talk about another major push to repair the Web coming up. You won't be ready for that in time, but I was thinking we should see how you're coming along with your blade and your bow. If you're really improving, I think it's time to make good on my promise. You'll be able to observe what I'm doing with the Web, at least, and you can practice on minor things around the pavilion, but we won't have it back to normal even after another push, so hopefully you'll have gotten good enough by the next one to participate.

"Does that sound good?"
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Examinations

Postby Mealla Stormsong on January 7th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Mealla turned to stare at him, dropping the arrow whose fletching she had been repairing. Her eyes widened minutely, and for a moment she felt pure panic as a hand instantly went to her hair, shoving the loose strands roughly behind her ear as she tried not to blush, and as she searched for some excuse to flee. Andraste needed seeing to... She suddenly remembered that she had left something in her tent which she desperately needed... After the awkwardness in Riverfall, she had been avoiding Sama’el as much as duty and time allowed, thinking it best for both of them, but apparently he was one step ahead of her today, or had been.

His words, though, had her blinking, and her panic immediately vanished as she let them sink in. She felt herself start to grin. He was actually thinking about teaching her something about the Web-? It might not happen, but he was actually thinking of letting her observe him, rather than pushing her away and saying that she was not even ready for that-? Her grin grew. She had thought his promise had meant nothing.

“Good?” she finally replied, the excitement - the eagerness - clear in her voice. “Good? It’s more than good! You’re serious? You mean it? Really?” She laughed, brushing another few strands of hair from her face. “Seriously? Gods, I could kiss you right now! You mean it? Seriously? Let... let me just fetch my weapons. Wait right here!”

And she ran off, leaving the arrows behind, to fetch her bow and scimitar from where she kept them in her tent. She returned a few moments later, coming to a halt in front of him, looking slightly out of breath. The excited grin was still on her face. She’d been feeling so useless, so out of depth, so worthless, but if she could just learn something about the Web, then... She would be something.

“I’m ready.”

She was practically bouncing, awkwardness forgotten for the moment in the face of finally being able to do something that she thought useful.

Or the potential for it.
Mealla Stormsong
Player

Words: 77741
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2012, 7:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 8th, 2013, 9:44 am

His mouth dropped open like he might say something, or perhaps was just doing a goofy impression of a fish out of water, when she mentioned a kiss for what was really just doing his job. Not that he would abuse the position of authority he had been given. Of course, Mealla was beautiful and all. But their relationship was professional and...

Oh, she was back, weapons in hand. Had she gone? He really must pay better attention. But the new Sayaph was no easier on new recruits than was the last, and he would not accept her until she could ride like the wind, take excellent care of her mount, fight, and show significant skill in something else that would make her an asset to the Watch.

So he would have to check her riding and her horsemanship first. He grinned encouragingly.

"All right, so we are going on circuit, but before we can ride, we need to take care of our horses, right? So teach me how to give my Strider a once-over to make sure she's healthy. Show me on Adraste, and I'll learn from you. They say you don't really learn a thing until you have to teach it. So let's start with that."

As they walked past his tent, he picked up his scimitar and his own short bow and quiver, slinging everything into place as they walked toward the little herd of Sunsinger horses.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Mealla Stormsong on January 10th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Mealla’s face fell a little at his words as the realisation hit that they weren’t going to going straight onto fighting and then the Web. She’d never been the most patient, and, to be honest, did a Drykas really need to prove that they could look after a horse and check that it was healthy? The Drykas lived and breathed horses. It was in their blood.

She somehow managed to bite down on a protest, still far too excited about the prospect of touching the Web to be really upset or annoyed, and so, instead, she simply nodded, deciding that she would go through it all as fast as she could. Check the coat, check the feet, blah, blah, blah, so on and so forth, and then onwards and upwards.

“You’re willing to let me teach you?” she asked as they walked, having noticed the change in tactics with his teaching. “But I might teach you the wrong things. Will you be able to stop yourself from correcting me, because the student never questions or corrects the teacher?” She ignored the fact that she had. Repeatedly. “You better be able to keep your hands to yourself.”

Otherwise she’d have to order Andraste to bite if he tried to point anything out.
Mealla Stormsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on January 26th, 2013, 10:22 pm

The Watch was the elite of the Drykas, and so they required the best and the brightest of the Drykas, well-balanced warriors and honorable men and women. This included those who could keep their horses healthy in the direst of straights, the best riders, swordswomen, archers, and the like. And so he would have to be sure she was capable in all things before the Watch would accept her.

"Teach me," he agreed, nodding. Hopefully she had learned a thing or two in her travels with him, and with Ronan. She was talking crazy again, unaware of her own behavior in the past, but that was the past. He was trying to work with her rather than against her.

As they approached the herd, he whistled and Dohaina, recognizing the few bars whose melody was her call, came trotting over.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Mealla Stormsong on January 27th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Again, Mealla’s face fell slightly, though this time it was from his lack of reaction to her words rather than the fact that she wasn't get what she wanted straightaway. She didn’t know why she so often felt the need to provoke, but perhaps it was because she needed to make someone feel something towards her - for her - even if it was only intense dislike. It was better than being ignored and forgotten, faced with indifference and disinterest, or made to feel so despite her reaching out. Provocation got the better results, and it meant that her confidence was less likely to crumble in the face of nothing. And it was better for the pride, too, than bearing her stomach to only be faced with no acknowledgement at all. That hurt.

She bit her lip, but the smile was soon back on her face, the prospect of getting to touch the Web winning over any shakiness, fears, and problems with confidence that she might have. She pushed her hair behind her ears once again and whistled for Andraste, who, having already seen her, was already wandering other. The whistle meant nothing, of course, but Sama’el didn’t need to know that. A part of her was still desperate to impress, even if it that one fact made her want to gnash her teeth.

As soon as Andraste came level with her, Mealla rested her hand on the mare’s neck and turned back to Sama’el.

“Where would you like me to begin?”

She felt suddenly nervous, and it showed in her voice.
Mealla Stormsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on February 10th, 2013, 5:01 am

"You're the teacher now," he reminded her, hands spread. It was up to her to show how much she knew or didn't know.

When Dohaina trotted to a stop, he set his hand atop her withers. Her head swiveled around so she could nibble at his hair, affectionate as ever. Her young colt and filly had come closer too, watching curiously. But the foals weren't really trained yet, so if they came and interrupted, he would have to run them off back to the herd.

As Andraste approached, he looked to Mealla take the first step toward the prize of Webbing initiation.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Examinations

Postby Mealla Stormsong on February 16th, 2013, 5:49 pm

There were times even teachers needed guidance, and Mealla once again found her confidence waning as her gaze flicked from Sama’el to Andraste, and then back again. She didn’t know why, but she had hoped for something more from him. More of a reaction. He was too calm - far too calm - especially after their interactions of late, and here was she almost having a breakdown. Sometimes the gods were simply not fair. Her confidence plummeted a little more.

“Right,” she finally muttered under her breath, feeling a fool. She didn’t particularly see the point of showing him something he already knew, but if that was what he wanted, then fine.

She went through the moves slowly, forcing herself not to rush as she checked over Andraste, her eyes, her ears, running a hand along the mare's body before running them down the mare’s legs, checking for any cuts and bruises, lumps or bumps. She made sure to say what she was doing. She then checked each of the mare’s hooves before turning back to Sama’el, nervous again, her fear of being rejected, shoved aside, rising once again.

“It that enough?”
Mealla Stormsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets