One step forward, three steps back [open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Nether on June 4th, 2010, 2:56 am

This was irritating. Not to mention, a possible deadly blow to his good reputation, assuming he even had one.
One thing was not being hired. He could live with that, there were plenty of people better than him on the market.. though not many cheaper.
One thing was a snarky remark at the end of a job, followed by a promise to never, ever hire him again. He could live with that, too: people rarely actually meant it. More often than not, he had discovered, it was simply a ploy to get a discount. Even when they were sincere, however.. well, plenty of people in the world, and they all need to eat.
Besides, lately it didn't happen nearly as often as when he had just started.

Another thing was.. this.
He sighed, munching thoughtfully on a long and thin blade of grass.
He was sitting on an acceptably comfortable flat rock, in a clearing not far from the road.
Despite his best efforts, his tent was actually standing. It had taken him a good three hours and half a dozen of tries, but in the end he had obtained a measure of success.
Of course, it was leaning all on the left and had the apparent stability of a castle of rotten cards, but it was still better than nothing; he even managed to light a campfire without setting himself on aflame, and was moderately proud of that accomplishment.

Something unidentifiable was boiling in the pot over the fire, suspended by a shaky wooden contraption.
A bit farther away his small cart, jam packed with weird oddities and carefully stocked glassware, was resting on the ground, and tied to a close tree his yet-unnamed chestnut brown horse, staring and, he was sure, looking down upon him.

Fired before the end of the journey, in the damn geometric middle of the road between Syliras and Zeltiva, with no pay and the threat to shoot him if he dared follow.
That was a new low.
And all because of a small, innocent mistake.
He had no way of knowing that the purple-spotted plant, added to the stew, would have that sort of reaction.
It wasn't poisonous on its own, he was.. moderately.. sure of that, so it had to be some sort of reaction to one of the other ingredients. Perhaps a spice?

Lost in the new train of thought, he pulled out his diary, still keeping an occasional eye on the soup. A quick dip of the quill in ink and another page was started.

3rd day of Summer, 510AV

The first thing was a small sketch of the plant. It was shaky at best, but with the proper captions good enough to help him identify the offending herb.

Note to self: don't use that (speaking of which, how the hell is it called again? I'm sure I studied it, and I vaguely remember some properties, but can't remember the name. Double check.) as savoring before deeper studies.
Apparently, it can have.. interesting.. reactions with some other commonly used spices and ingredients. Possible effects vary from subject to subject and include, but are not limited to: dizziness, headaches, large, itchy rashes over large parts of the body, and explosive diarrhea.

..now that he thought about it, the stomach cramps probably were the only reason why they simply left him there instead of skinning him alive.
Last edited by Nether on June 15th, 2010, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nether
Player

Words: 12298
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2010, 12:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Emberlina on June 5th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Not too far away from the little camp sat a little black cat up in a tree. It's thick raven black furr gently moved with the soft breeze as it's fluffy tail waged back and forward as it hang from the tree. The cat looked down curiously to the fire and the man that sat beside it. Thinking to herself. "Hhmm.. I wonder what he is doing here in the forest, although.." she peered to the boiling stew over the campfire. "That sure smells gooood! Aaw, I haven't eaten anything warm for days... I'm starting to get mad about it." the cat sighed to herself and shook her head slowly.

The cat gracefully hopped down from the tree brence and landed by it's root. The bracelet about her neck gentle jingled as the worn out perls hit against eachother. The cat calmly sat down by the tree as it looked wondering on the man, tilting her head slightly as it keps it's light grey eyes on him.
I see... chocolate.. o.o
Emberlina
Player

Words: 6514
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 6:48 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Nether on June 7th, 2010, 1:19 am

One last scratch of the pen on the paper and the page was finally done. He had added a couple other notes, but nothing of real interest. Carefully placing the open book in front of himself, he let the soft night breeze give the fresh ink one last drying before closing it.
Better safe than sorry, after all.

That being done, his attention went back to the soup boiling a short distance away. He stirred it once with a wooden spoon and frowned slightly. Vegetables again, of course. That one time he did try hunting a few months ago he ended up running half a mountain chased by an enraged boar, and that wasn't an experience he was willing to repeat any time soon. The eldritch mysteries of hunting were for someone else to worry about, he decided: meat was something that started its existence in cleanly cut pieces.

Or at least dead.

He scratched his chin. Something had been nagging him, and it wasn't only the stubble of unkempt beard that naturally followed a trip through the wilds.
He looked around, trying to pinpoint the source of unease, but didn't notice anything.
Dismissing it as the shadows playing tricks to his mind, he went back to the business at hand.

That business being vegetables, the vegetables he'd eat today and all the foreseeable future days until he managed to find a place civilized enough to sell him the supplies he needed.
He sighed, and absent mindedly stirred the greenish liquid again.

The sensation was still there, getting stronger instead of fading away.

Starting to feel unnerved, he looked around once again, this time scanning the area more carefully.
For an instant, he tried to extend his perceptions beyond what could normally be seen, searching for something amiss: usually the intent to kill (or to rob blind and leave alone in the wilderness, which was different from killing only in name) was an emotion strong enough that even he could perceive it easily.

Nothing. And focusing for a more in-depth examination of his surroundings would probably leave him completely drained and unable to react, so magic wasn't a viable help there.

Finally, after a good half minute of looking-around-while-trying-to-not-seem-on-guard, he noticed something: the glint of the fire at first, reflected in twin small gemstones; with a place to focus his gaze on, he finally noticed the outline of his stalker: a small patch of darker black, with glistening grey eyes.

A cat.

He was almost on the verge of soiling his pants, and his terrible premonition was actually warning him of a cat.
He smiled to himself, shaking his head while chuckling to exorcise the nervousness.

"Hey, little guy, you picked the wrong camp if you wanted food.. last time I checked, cats weren't great fans of boiled vegetables".

Great. He was talking to a cat now. Just another step in the long road to insanity.
Nether
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 7th, 2010, 3:18 am

Kamrynn was a long way from Syliras, but for once, it didn't bother him. He was comfortable now with the powerful steed trotting underneath him, a feat he would have thought impossible only three days prior. "Good girl," He said, patting Raine's head. She whinnied in appreciation, and moved into a slow canter on her own will.

Kamrynn held on to the reigns, enjoying the scenery. He had rations in his pack, and even better, fresh fish he had caught in a nearby stream. His fishing kit had worked perfectly, and his luck was as good as always. There was more than enough fish for the next two nights, he just needed to find a suitable camp site to cook them up.

Providence delivers! For there was a perfect campsite ahead, pre-made and everything! He could make out the glow of a fire, and a single figure crouched over it, likely cooking something. Hopefully they were friendly, Kamrynn wouldn't mind a little company, another set of eyes was always welcome in the wilderness. He slowed Raine back to a trot as he approached, and called out to the stranger.

"Good evening, friend!" He said cheerily, reining his horse in to a stop. "I'm Kamrynn Sleightyr, Syliran knight! Would you mind terribly if I were to share your campsite and fire for the evening? I have some freshly caught trout I wouldn't mind sharing."
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Emberlina on June 7th, 2010, 12:23 pm

The cat tilted her head once more the the one by the fire. "Vegatable? Hhm.. actually.. right now I wouldn't mind anything as long as it's warm... Aah, now I really sound desperate.." she thought to herself as she slowly took a carefuly step forward to the fire, showing herself from the darkness.

The pearl necklace was now shown perfectly in the fire light. It seemed old and the pearls had now become to look more like dried barries rather than stones. The cat though looked rather dirty, seemingly it had stayed in the wilds ever since birth. It was not bigger than other cats, but surely with more furr than most of them. Her curious eyes peered on the man as she slowly moved forward, but suddenly stoped as she heard hoves moves towards them.

Looking up, the cat gazed on the newcomer on his steed. "Eh? Another guy? Although he doesn't sound to be a knower to this one.. Maybe they have enough food to spear me some! OOoh, I hope so.. I'll try my cute kitty eyes." she thought wondering to herself as she sat down, a little bit from the fire, and made a low, but cute scrowling sound, barely a meow. She tilted her head and made her ears follow with her head, trying to look as hungry as possible.
I see... chocolate.. o.o
Emberlina
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaelithus on June 8th, 2010, 12:49 am

A midnight shade of Falcon descended into the campsite scratching the ground with its talons pecking the ground. he looked up at the Fresh fish Kamrynn had and squawked as if thinking about taking a fish. he stepped closer to the fire pecking at the fish then looking up at the knight letting out another squawk with a few clicks.

the sound of footpads echoed through the Forrest as Kael ran through trusting his ears "i know that bird anywhere" he pulled out a arrow and notched it on his bow pulling the string tight. when he came into the clearing his eyes locked onto the prey, using the trunk of a tree as a boost kael jumped into the air zoning in and releasing his arrow. It hit the bird as a puff of orange dust was left on the birds feather, landing on the ground kael smiled "caught you midnight." he picked up the arrow looking it over. instead of a sharp metal tip it was replaced with a soft cotton cloth covered with a orange powder. he caught of sight kamryn "Ahh i remember you knight" he bowed his head in respect, then noticing the other stranger he turned to "ah my apologies sir did not see you...sorry if my friend here disturbed your camp" he turned picking up Midnight dusting off the orange powder "just a bit of moving Target practice...been following Midnight for the past 3 days" his eyes looked exhausted as he stumbled to the ground "i'm sorry if i'm intruding but without the adrenaline from chasing Midnight i relize i have no more energie" Midnight stretched his wings flying onto kaels shoulder looking into the fire as if mesmerized.
Kaelithus
Player

Words: 11558
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Nether on June 8th, 2010, 1:44 am

Apparently unafraid of flames or human company, the cat pushed forward, inside the ring of warm light that surrounded the small fire.
It was a strange animal. A wild creature wouldn't have been so eager to approach a fire, but a domestic cat wouldn't have been able to survive and thrive this far away from civilization.

Then, as it glistened in the light, he took notice of the collar, mentally crossing out the chance of a wild critter.
"So, where did you run away from? Some caravan? And don't be greedy, it's not cooked yet"

Nether didn't have the time to once more question his sanity, because in all his concern for the cat, he had managed to completely ignore the mounted man approaching the small camp, getting close enough to surprise him with a cheerful greeting.
At least it wasn't a knife in the back, but it could have easily been, and that wasn't a comforting consideration.

He half turned around, still sitting, to face the stranger, the cat all but forgotten for the moment.
A young man and his horse, well armed and armored.. he claimed to be a Syliran knight, and for all Nether knew, he might as well have been one: bandits posing as noble knights weren't completely unheard of, but in this situation no self-respecting outlaw would have bothered with such a complex plan.

Still on his rock, Nether raised one hand, waving welcomingly at the stranger.
"Greetings, ser, you can call me Nether. You're free to join me for dinner, if you don't mind it being very.. green"

Then, stuff started happening, all at once.
The cat let out an heart-achingly desperate meowl, having decided it had been already ignored for far too long.
A falcon popped out of seemingly nowhere, just to be hit by an arrow that covered the surroundings in a soft orange powder.
A second man joined the merry band around the fire, apparently an acquaintance of the knight, who only managed a short greeting before letting himself collapse on the soft grass.

Nether was officially confused, but managed to keep a remarkably good poker face.
"Well, greetings to you too. Feel free to be my guests: if there's something this place doesn't lack, it's green stuff to shove in a pot and boil. Make yourselves at ease.
Nether
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 8th, 2010, 2:10 am

"Nether," Kamrynn said while hopping off of his saddle. "It's nice to meet you, and my thanks for the hospitality offered." He stretched his legs a bit, and cranked his neck to the left and right to get the kinks out, then noticed the tiny black cat.

"Hey there!" He said in a childlike tone. "Well Nether, I think I've got something here that might interest your furry friend even more than you and your green supper!" He reached into a saddle bag to pull out three river trout wrapped in supple leaves -the fruits of a lazy afternoon spent fishing.

He was just about to turn around when a screeching eagle landed in the middle of the camp and a man burst onto the scene with bow drawn and arrow knocked. Kamrynn's sword and shield were in his hands in a hurry, but the man had loosed his arrow at the eagle and... not killed it.

Nothing Kaelithus said or did made any sense to the knight, though he claimed to have known Kamrynn. Probably from Syliras, though Kamrynn would have thought there were too many knights for a citizen to remember a specific one -there were certainly too many citizens for a knight to remember anyone.

"I suppose I'll need more fish..." Kamrynn pulled four out of his bag now, and plopped down at the fire. He unwrapped the fish and jammed wooden sticks into three, propping them against the fire. The fourth fish he pushed forward towards the kitten. He chuckled, it would be a hell of a meal, the trout was nearly as big as the poor little thing.

"Nether, what brings you out this far in the wilds? Forgive me for the comment, but you don't seem particularly well equipped for the journey..."
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Emberlina on June 8th, 2010, 10:33 am

The cat hisshes surprised at the bird as well as the orange puff. "Wha!!" she cried out, but for the others it would be a scrowling sound of a scared cat. She quickly stood up surprised, clearly uncertian if she should run or not.

With her fluffy tail warped about herself as she currled up her body into a ball, hidding her face under the tail. Then slowly she removed it as she heard another mans voice. "Eeh?.. In days I haven't seen anyone and suddenly all this?? Where does everyone come from anyway??" she thought to herself as she still was warped in her tail.

She kept it that way until the fish got infront of her. Suddenly her eyes widen and she gave the soldier a happy gaze and meowed. "Thank You!!!" she almost charged at the fish and set her teeths into it, clearly she hadn't eaten anything these past days. She ate it eagerly as she started with the tail, ripping off rather big parts from it.
I see... chocolate.. o.o
Emberlina
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaelithus on June 8th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Kaelithus looked at the three "my apologies if i startled you I didn't know Midnight chose to settle down near a camp if i am intruding anything, please, tell me i shall take my leave" he looked at the fish as his stomach released a low growl 3 days of no food was killing him and the smell of fish on the fire brought back a new energy.
Last edited by Kaelithus on June 8th, 2010, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelithus
Player

Words: 11558
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Next