Solo [Shrine of Tanroa] A Beginning

In which Zandelia meets a messenger

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

[Shrine of Tanroa] A Beginning

Postby Zandelia on January 15th, 2013, 1:56 am

Winter 18th, 512 AV – Shrine of Tanroa

The messenger had been an oxymoronic occurrence, an expected surprise despite the fact that such a thing seemed ridiculously foolish. She had found her mind taking many pointless fancies in her time at the Spires, she was becoming softer in her idleness – though she planned on correcting that. Still, there was a truth to her fancy this time. She had expected a message for two season now, her link to the world outside of the trees determined by missive alone. The last message had held promise but had never been followed. Now there was more than a message – there was a rider. She had been informed within a bell of his arrival, her own meager network of contacts able enough to do that at least.

We will see if he know enough to find me, if not then he is no rider of mine… she thought to herself as she stared at the star-filled heavens. The thought that he was not here for her advancement had crossed her mind many times now – she had suspicions.

She had chosen a place that was well suited to clandestine matters, a much needed criteria was silence and another was solitude. It would be even more useful if she had to kill the man, if he was but a pawn in a larger game. She did not know if her father knew she was alive but she suspected garret was not fully honest with her, he had his own agenda and if he worked for her enemy some of his actions made more sense to her. She knew he did not suspect her suspecting though, he was too dull-witted for that, he had always thought himself superior.

“And I can use that, at least” she muttered to herself as she sat, still as a stone and wrapped head to toe in her black robes. She would be all but impossible to see with human eyes.

‘We meet where the third meets the second, to contemplate our time together’ had been her message, and she now awaited the arrival between the third and second levels of Tanroa’s pyramid.

A pleasant enough structure to her, she had been intentionally cryptic. A fool would not figure it out, so by passing the first test they would prove themselves smart, after a fashion, and dangerous. She could not help but feel as if there were a knife to her ribs, waiting for the time to strike out at her. Something did not feel right to her about the messenger. She had told garret to send missives only, unless something of prime importance occurred. Still, she was troubled. She turned the puzzle around in her mind, trying to make the pieces fit – the lack of news, the cryptic and confusing messages, the newly arrived messenger. She hoped for a pleasant outcome, but it mainly pointed to betrayal.

The real question is whether they plan to kill me, or lure me into a trap? she tried to figure it out as her single eye glinted in the night.

She stopped her musings, covering her mouth and her steaming breath with a fold of her robe, as she spied a figure silhouetted against the starry horizon. It moved craftily, graceful and purposeful. A dangerous figure indeed, if she was any judge of the art of prowling. She stayed where she was, seeing if it would pass or stay – it stayed. Now, all she did was count for three chimes, the allotted time. He would speak the words afterwards, confirming his intent.

“I would speak with the night” came the deep, bass voice.

Damn she thought, knowing that he was either true to her cause or someone had talked.

She sat there, considering her options for a few moments. The decision could change her life, shape the future in ways she could not foretell. It was apt indeed that they met under Tanroa’s neutral gaze.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Zandelia on January 15th, 2013, 2:59 am

She moved slowly, treading carefully upon the heels of her feet, rolling them forwards to muffle the sounds of her footsteps as she drew closer to him. She kept her hands pulling upon her robes, holding them tightly to her body so that they would not catch upon anything. It was a simple enough matter to shadow the man, circling him as she drew closer through the night. She could see him turning his head as he tried to gauge whether he had the right place of meeting. His gaze did not see her through the night but she was careful nonetheless, pausing whenever he twisted so that her movements were not at risk of sight – only her sound. She smiled as she materialized a few feet to his right without his noticing.

Startle them, keep them guessing, keep them…afraid. If they be your enemy they will be given pause. It is a strong defense, the appearance of stealth. A dangerous enemy is also a powerful ally for the bartering she told herself, old learnt lessons in intelligence.

“But the night never talks back” she whispered, watching with amusement as he whipped around, knife in hand within a split-second. She kept her face blank as she felt triumph flood through her, she had learnt two things now, he was nervous and he knew how to handle a blade – dangerous indeed.

“Put it away now, we don’t want any…unpleasantness amongst friends do we?” she told him, motioning with her hand to lower the blade, watching it reflect the moonlight as it made its way back into its sheath, noting its placing upon his left hip in case he got ideas about pulling it out again.

“Who are you? Are you my recipient?” the man asked, his words careful and even, neutral. He was well trained for a hound.

“If you need to ask then you clearly do not know,” she tilted her head, her hood still obscuring her face, “and I hoped to meet a smart man this night too. Pity” she motioned as if to turn away, seeing how far he could be pushed, how much manipulation he might accept casually.

She knew he would not let her merely walk away if he knew whom he was supposed to meet, but if he were truly one of Garret’s little birds then he would not be able to reveal he knew her real name, nor her appearance, as they did not meet her. If he gave any indication he knew her true name, or that he knew her by face and description, he would get a knife to the throat. She could almost feel the gears working in his mind, a small hesitation was observed and her hand slowly began to stray to her thigh and her dagger. She let a few more seconds tick by as she backed away another step, seeing if he would break.

“Petch this, alright! Garret sent this for Amelias! Didn’t think I’d have to bloody bandy words with a ghost is all! Take it” the man growled, throwing a small scroll to the ground in front of her feet. She crouched swiftly, picking it up and keeping it in her left hand for now.

“You know that name? Garret must trust you highly to tell it to you,” she spoke into the night, “how did you come to work for him? Why should I trust this comes from his deft hands?” she asked, almost casually, as she probed for further information about her new ‘friend’.

“I carry some things for him, city to city like. Always paid in advance, always get job done. Can’t see him riding after all, not with his body” the man barked a small portion of laughter. Zandelia frowned, though he could not have noticed it.

Only those he trusts most know he is a Nuit, everyone else he sues proxies for. And I know all those who know him as such. So either garret has people I don’t know about, or this man’s a liar. But which is which? she mused, twirling the scroll between her fingers. She decided for one last question before getting into the business side of matters, one more would be all she could push for now.

“Fair enough, that explains the one but not the other. How do you know Amelias?”

“You mean you’re not her? Well, I was just told to deliver to Amelias, or her hands. Didn’t ask no questions miss, not like you anyways. Why you ask so much?” he asked her, suspicion trying to creep into his tone of voice now.

“Merely wondering if you could serve Amelias also, assuming you want the money of course. But now, down to business” she dismissed his concerns as she approached, even more wary now that he had failed her initial testing.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on January 16th, 2013, 2:13 am

“Light a fire, and be quick about it, or you’ll get nothing further from me messenger” she commanded, her hand gesturing to the small fire pit she had prepared prior to his arrival.

“You don’t own me miss” the man spat off to his right and remained where he was, still and seething in silence.

“Oh do I not? Well then, money has no meaning to you I presume? Very well, leave me with nothing and I shall do it myself. Of course, if you’re that rich why bother fire lighting eh?” she responded coldly, knowing full well that patience and money could bring more than loyalty in some people.

“Fine! But no more servants stuffs. I want gold, not slavery” he growled at her as he knelt and busied himself with flint and tinder.

She watched him as he worked, hand capable and quickly methodical. He was obviously used to lighting fires in the dark and with haste, he was no liar when he said that he travelled often and in the wilderness. There was a difference to awakening flames in a hearth and in a soil pit, she knew that well enough. Testing him was proving to be amusing for her – he was an oxymoron himself. With one part of himself he lied to her, with the other he told truth. She considered him as the sparks began to be thrown, small flickers of light being seeded for reaping. She had thought to slit his throat for true safety, but now she wondered if she did not have another use for him.

“What do they call you?” she asked him, eyes closing as light pierced the shadows, preserving a small portion of her night vision for now.

“Some call me Calhun,” he replied as he stood, “and you owe me some money. Your name?” he asked her with overt curiosity.

“Is of little import, I have no name these days. You will get your gold soon enough, when you have earned it” she stated simply, ignoring his scowl and unrolling the parchment he had given her.

She leaned closer to the lights thrown from the flames, trying to decipher the words written within as the flickering instability of the fire sought to warp the words into grotesques. It took her some time, the message written in a simple code she and garret used – proof enough that it came from his hands, though whether willingly or not told her little. The message was clear, concise and it filled her with anger. Her lips twisted as the news settled into her, burying deep into her bones – her father had been spotted and he was in Syliras. It was a close city, but impossibly far during winter also. She would need to plan quickly and plan well. She screwed up the missive and threw it into the fire with a nonchalance that Calhun would read as disdain.

“It appears time is of the essence dear Calhun. You will stay in the Spires for a few days whilst I consider things, I will have use for you. Where do you bunk?” she asked him.

“In the old reclamation camp”

“I will find you”

“I’m sure you will…Amelias”

“Amelias kills well Calhun, so have a care. Be gone with you” she dismissed him with a flick of her hand, his job was finished for now.

As he left she kicked dirt over the flames before her until only smoke and not heat caressed her face. She had watched him carefully as she had thrown the missive into the flames, he had been concerned. He had been worried she had not taken the note seriously, which meant that he had known what was within it perhaps. She would find the truth of the matter, that she vowed. She would stalk his nights until she held every single one of his secrets.

Then she would use them against him, destroy him. Bind him to her perhaps. She would have her vengeance, her wrath. And her wrath would be most wicked. Her gauntleted fists clenched tight at her sides as she counted, listening carefully for his fading footsteps. When they reached the very edge of her hearing she span and began to follow carefully.

It began tonight.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on January 19th, 2013, 6:01 pm

The mind was an interesting tool one could use, the corridors of a person’s thoughts making it seem as complex a labrynth as one could imagine, if they had the mental capacity to do so that was. One of the many things she had learnt as a gatherer of secrets and baubles of information was that people’s minds often filled in the details that it wanted to exist. Mining parchment for interesting pieces of data to help one advance themselves quickly taught them the meaning of hubris, often in brutal ways. Assumption was a terrible flaw to behold when it led to destruction, still everyone was guilty of it to greater or smaller degrees. Zandelia knew this was her greatest weapon really, the ability to predict what assumptions others made in given situations. As she swept into the foliage that lined the path out of the shrine she used this to her advantage.

He will be looking for crouched movement, behind him for the most part. He will pause often when something suspicious occurs. He will not listen for snapping twigs as he is sensible enough to assume wildlife she told herself as she ghosted from tree to tree, her body upright and slipping though the darkness.

She did not speak, only breathed softly though her mouth with her lips open wide so that any potential mist formed by her breath would dissipate quickly. She also kept her breathing shallow and quick so as to give the inhaled air as little time inside her to warm and thus react with the cold air when exhaled. Crouching was a foolish idea, low shadows were easier to spot as they held more horizontal mass to catch the eye. No, she stayed upright and padded at an easy pace. The occasional tree was cover enough to shelter behind as she caught up with Culhan. Her footing was careful, her gaze mostly fixed to the ground so as to make sure she did not disturb anything too drastic. Some sound was acceptable though, she didn’t want to get caught out by trying to be too stealthy – insane as that sounded. She had made it within twenty paces of his hulking figure now and was satisfied with that distance. It was enough to react appropriately.

Evening Culhan, what do we have here? she asked herself as another shadow detached itself from his left and made its way to him.

They stopped and looked around, forcing Zandelia to crouch behind a shrub against her desires. She pushed her fingers through the foliage carefully, pulling the leaves apart until she could she through it, after a fashion. Their arms were gesticulating and from that she could deduce they were arguing, or talking forcefully at least – debating perhaps. The other shadow pointed towards the way Culhan had come and clenched its fist, or at least that was what it looked like. She shuffled around the bush slowly and lowered herself to the ground. From there she crawled to a tree, ten nerve-wracking yards, and placed her back against it, tilting her head so she could hear around its trunk for her investigation. This was becoming more dangerous than she had thought and far more fun for it.

“We can’t even be sure she is!” cane the terse whisper of Culhan.

“You should have pushed her more, asked more, not been heeled like some tiny pup! She suspects you, that is obvious. Why wait?” came a woman’s voice, young and filled with fire – something of use to her. Arrogance was easier to manipulate than Culhan’s wariness.

“For what? She burned the missive, she managed to get the drop on me and the way she was told me you couldn’t capture her if you tried. No! It is done with Faresha, we will speak no more until ears cannot hear us, lest you wish to ruin our plans like a bar wench with a skin full of wine? Well!” Calhun brought the girl neatly to heel, Zandelia had to smile at that – he knew how to keep secrets.

Dangerous secrets too. Capture? For whom? she mused as she sat still as a statue, listening for their departure.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Zandelia on January 19th, 2013, 7:20 pm

She was waiting for a number of chimes before anything else of note occurred, her head twisting to her left so that her right eye could see without compromising too much of her face to their visions. A standoff was in place it seemed, Faresha trying to stare down Calhun, a puppy baring its fangs at a wolf. There could only be one outcome but even that took three chimes to find itself. Faresha looked away sharply, her head bowed for a few seconds before she whirled around in anger and stalked away and towards the Spires proper. Calhun stayed a little while longer, hands on hips and head pointing towards the heavens, before following her with a deep sigh. Zandelia considered the duo, one with talent and the other with loose emotions – it was a void that could be used if played correctly.

Still, I’d rather just kill him now if I could. The girl would run after that, or do something truly foolish. I have no wish for enemies within my own residence she told herself, finally able to roll from her position and come back to a standing one.

She kept her distance still, letting it ease out a small portion until she was about thirty yards behind Calhun, further behind Farasha whom she could see a little way beyond the towering man. The Spires provided a challenge to following them when they began to enter the main hub of the city, the central petal. Few people walked the night during the winter and secluded places to shield herself were scarce. She had found a half-way house solution to this in the rooftops and tree branches but they were unreliable at times. Still, it was the only option open to her and she would be forced to do so soon enough. She stayed firmly upon the ground for as long as she could though, stepping into the lee ways that doors created at times, others merely hiding behind the odd planter.

“Where are you going Calhun? Where do you rest your head?” she whispered to herself as she tried to use her intelligencer’s memory to recall the layout of the Spires.

They passed through the central petals and came out heading south, something she had hoped would not be the case. Less cover meant she was now forced into the trees. She hoisted herself onto a low branch after running up the trunk to get the height to do so. From there it was an arduous journey. Strong limbs were many but the ability for acrobatics was limited and it forced her to be farther away from her targets than she liked. She jumped from one branch to the next, carefully assessing her footing before each leap and hands grasping out for the trunks and the cragged bark there for hand holds. One branch was low enough to spring onto the roof of a structure, rolling as she hit the surface to prevent injury, she knew not which building it was. She stopped and shuffled up to the edge, peering into the night to try and find her mark.

There they are! Heading towards the trail and back down to the old reclamation encampment. They keep their home near the exist. Wise she cursed to herself. Shadowing them there this night would not be possible.

“Very well Calhun, another night. I will find you” she vowed as she gripped the edge of the building, what edge there was, and used it it lever herself over and down onto the floor, crouching against the impact at the end.

She paused, dusted off her hands and leant against the building. She waited there for a good Bell and a half and, having once established they would not return, made her way into the darkness alone.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Capricious on February 3rd, 2013, 12:06 am

Zandelia

Award
Skill XP Earned Lore Earned
Intelligence 3 • Will They Kill Me or Trap Me?
Stealth 4 • Keep People Guessing - It Will Save Your Life
Acrobatics 1 • Garret Has New People
Investigation 3 • People are Driven by Money
Acting 1 • Calhun is Close to Garret
Leadership 1 • My Father is in Syliras
• Calhun Knows My Name
• Lower Shadows are More Easily Spotted
• Suspect: Faresha
• There are Two Enemies Within The Spires

I must admit, I really enjoyed this solo. I look forward to seeing what Zandelia does with the information and how she handles these two.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

Capricious
Assistant Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 171332
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)